ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 17th, 2010, 12:42 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Which upgrade is wiser?

My birthday is coming up, so I started compiling a list of things that I have been planning (my mom STILL asks every year for a birthday list). You know all those little things you plan to eventually get to, but there is always some other financial priority/responsibility..... those wonderful things that when you finally get them you wonder why you waited so long.... that is what I'm talking about

The 2 main things on the list are 1) a FP Jet Kit, and 2) a Throttlemeister.

I was probably going to just ask for the Jet Kit, as she usually has a $100 budget (TM is closer to $150 with options, and wouldn't get frequent use). I put together an email explaining how to navigate the FP website (not the easiest), and I hear back she was planning to spend $200 - hotdog! The two together would shoot over her budget, so I go back to the list and see the Sportisi BRT TIS (non programmable). I am a lot less likely to buy this myself later, because of the cost, although this unit does intrigue me. The Jet Kit and Throttlemeister I can swing myself later, if need be.

So here is my question for you more technical people out there..... Performance wise, would I get more initially out of the TIS w/o re-jetting, or by sticking with the original plan of the Jet Kit w/ current OEM CDI?

For reference: current set-up = no snorkel, stock air box and filter, stock pipe, needles are shimmed with x3 washers per. Runs a touch rich, but pull is pretty linear... x2 gave me a flat spot when I pulled the snorkel. I do not plan to replace the pipe, and prefer not to go to pods (primarily because of noise, and also I am in CA and want to stay under the emissions "visual radar." I'd rather be more of a "sleeper.")
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 06:26 PM   #2
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

If you duplicate my setup, get a jet kit (either DJ or FP) and swap ONLY the needles. This allows you to continue to use the stock 98 jets with or without snorkel. Retrofit an '88-'94 CDI and you have $150-$200 left over. If you ever go with another exhaust system, then worse case, you have use larger jets from your kit!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2010, 06:33 PM   #3
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
If you duplicate my setup, get a jet kit (either DJ or FP) and swap ONLY the needles. This allows you to continue to use the stock 98 jets with or without snorkel. Retrofit an '88-'94 CDI and you have $150-$200 left over. If you ever go with another exhaust system, then worse case, you have use larger jets from your kit!
Ahhh, I've been waiting all day for someone to reply... thanks.

I don't follow your logic on savings since I would still need to get the jet kit for the needles. I did just discover Sportisi also has a jet kit, AND it is $30 cheaper than the rest! How does your setup perform?

The BIG question though is jet vs. TIS.

Old April 18th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #4
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
g21-30 has a very good point. You get a lot more bang for your buck and even have money left over for a Ninjette.org t-shirt.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #5
headshrink

I don't think a T-shirt is ATGATT

I'm working out some details that may allow me to get the TIS & a Jet Kit. I would probably install the TIS first to see how it affects the current config, and then start jetting.

Has anyone tried the Sportisi Jet Kit? Are the jet numbers the same as FP?

Old April 26th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #6
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Something just occurred to me.... did you adjust your mixture screws? Since the OEM needles are slightly different from each other, and the screws are at different spots, I assume you would want to.....?

Old April 26th, 2010, 11:38 PM   #7
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I don't think a T-shirt is ATGATT

I'm working out some details that may allow me to get the TIS & a Jet Kit. I would probably install the TIS first to see how it affects the current config, and then start jetting.

Has anyone tried the Sportisi Jet Kit? Are the jet numbers the same as FP?
i have the sportisi jet kit, and will be getting the BRT installed next week (already bought the BRT 2 weeks ago, but it was defective, so we sent it back to get replaced).

im not sure if the size of the main jets on the sportisi are the same as the factory pro kit. however with the sportisi kit you get just about every size that you would need from having a stock set up, all the way to a sports exhaust and pod filters. 98 till 110 i think? i don't remember off the top of my head. it also includes #40 pilot jets, and a 16 allen key head screws to replace the philip screws that hold the top and bottom cap. these new screws are wonderful! i was already starting to thread the stock screws, arghh... lol

anyhow, when i was at the sportisi dyno 2 weeks ago, we settled with 108 mains, 3rd e clip on the needle, and the sportisi #40 pilot jets. and together with the BRT TIS we got around 32.5 Bhp. however there was an issue with the ignition with my BRT, which is why i sent it back.

when i put the stock cdi back in, the top end was still strong, but from idle to half throttle was awfull, way too rich.

once i got home i ended up changing the pilot jets to #40 from kawasaki (already had them anyhow, and they seem to be slightly leaner than the sportisi #40s), and moved the e clip up to the 2nd groove. that fixed the low end rev perfectly.

i then messed about and tried the various different mains, starting with 105, then 108 again, and now im on 110's, but im quite sure that these 110's are too rich, the top end is bogging down a little, but im too lazy to switch it back till i go back to the dyno where i want to test all the different mains anyhow.

sportisi just called me last night to let me know that the BRT is finally back from jakarta, but they are busy cos the guy that owns the workshop is working on his racing mopeds (150cc 4 stroke suzuki mopeds, called Satria 150FU over here) which he is hoping to get into a competition race this coming weekend. soo.... i have to wait till next week to rob him for maybe half a day to cycle through the various settings with the stock CDI, and the BRT (i want to compare the 2).

my suggestion would be to ask your mom to give you the money for your b day, then save up a little and get both the BRT and the sportisi kit from Matt (sportisi USA). if not, the other alternative that sam (g21-30) said is also a good idea.

later on... get a new exhaust and maybe replace the air filter to maximize the BRT potential, and all the different main jets

Old April 27th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #8
headshrink

I just cracked open my New FP kit. I compared the needles with an extra set of OEM needles I have from an old-gen carb I bought for parts a while back.... Other than the slots for the adjustment clips and the sharpness of the tip, the taper looks the same to me.... aren't they supposed to be different?

Old April 27th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #9
kkim

these are the needles I received next to the stocks. the tapers look entirely different to me.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #10
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
these are the needles I received next to the stocks. the tapers look entirely different to me.

Yes, you're right. It must have been a pregen thing then.

Old April 27th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #11
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009 and ZX-12R 2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Something just occurred to me.... did you adjust your mixture screws?
You're a "shrink"! What do you think?.....................Yes, while idling. Both ended up being 2.5 turns out! And a year later, I still haven't synced my carbs. But I have my 2 port "Carbtune" still sitting on the counter (unopened), along with replacement vacuum tees. The bike runs great!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #12
headshrink

Being a shrink just means I spent my best years in school, while everyone else was learning about the world.... now I have to play catch up!

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #13
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Best gift you could get ( and the best upgrade) would be a track school.

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #14
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Best gift you could get ( and the best upgrade) would be a track school.
I'm sure you are right. Too rich for me at the moment.... gear, equipment, & chance of loosing my commuter. Perhaps in the future I will get the opportunity.

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
All gear is rented, you will crash on the street before you will at a school, you will have less of a chance of crashing on the street after the school (saving you much more than the price of the school).

A track day is cheaper than a school. Most trackdays have instructors. Gear is still rented. It will make you a much better ( and safer) rider.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 28th, 2010 at 06:56 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:38 PM   #16
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
All gear is rented
Huh, I didn't realize this. Assuming you're not on [/sarcasm] mode, you may've saved me a few months of delay on a trackday saving for a 1-piece
Thanks!

Old April 27th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #17
headshrink

I didn't know that, thanks.