ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:06 PM   #1
jaybo
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 13 ninja 300, 04 crf 250, 06 yz125

questions on engine management

I was wondering some things that could probably be answered by those who have had the header, airbox and fairings off.

Is there an O2 sensor? I cant see on from what I can see of the exhaust.

Is there a MAF sensor or is this a speed density set up

Where is the IAT and MAP sensors located

Is there any EGR?

Thanks for any help
jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 07:16 PM   #2
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Nothing on the header, just a cat inside. I haven't been deeper in the intake yet.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 23rd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #3
jaybo
ninjette.org member

thanks.

Old December 25th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #4
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

No O2 sensor for sure. I would hazard a educated guess it's running Alpha-N, which is just implied load via throttle angle and RPM. The dual butterfly [ITB] throttles mean you'd need two MAP sensors, which just isn't practical at this price point, not to mention MAP signals with ITB's are very sinusoidal and require DSP to be usable even for steady-state operation. Transitions would be a mess and you'd have to resort to Alpha-N interpretations anyway.

There's of course no EGR, this is a motorcycle and the emissions standards are right there with the 1975-ish era automotive industry.

What're you trying to do? If you were to experiment with [for example] a MicroSquirt, MAF would be your best strategy given the stock ITB's, assuming you don't mind building a different air box and dealing with MAF signal lag with transient throttle response. Also, of course, closed loop WBO2 would be a good idea. As I'm sure you're getting the picture, ITB's are a hassle for engine management strategy.

Going WBO2 with Alpha-N + airbox IAT + ECT would be a relatively easy implementation and offer good-enough control.

Old December 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #5
jaybo
ninjette.org member

actually not trying to tune it myself, Just wondering how the stock set up works and how it would respond to mods. If it was a maf with an o2 then it would correct (within parameter limits) to airbox and exhaust mods. I have no experience with FI bikes but have built a few turbo cars, mustangs and fords and in general know how the gm and ford fi systems work. On my cars all the mods I did including turboing them resulted in better mpg with the correct tune. I would like to get more power out of the bike but dont want to compromise economy while just cruising. I asked about egr as I would delete that as well as cat to save weight and help with the low to mid lean condition some have talked about. And I may install an 02 bung to moniter afr so I can fine tune with an aftermarket tuner to my mods.

Old January 4th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #6
Ryephile
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 :: Pearl White

Curious to find the engine has a MAP sensor and an air-pump system for the exhaust. I'll try to take a closer look when I have an opportunity. Thanks to @cbzdel for the picture stolen from his other thread here:

I can only presume at this time it's to dillute the exhaust emissions for marketplaces where that's regulated and/or tested.