ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:14 PM   #1
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

motorcycle dilemma

Ok, here's my dilemma. My bike has developed a tapping sound that was diagnosed as coming from the cam chain or the tensioner. The tensioner assembly was just replaced and didn't fix the problem. So that leaves the cam chain itself. The bike has 18k on it and is 17 years old, which means that the chain is old, worn and just generally stretched out. It's not bad enough yet to need immediate fixing, but I was told to keep an eye on it in case it worsens.

Here's the issue. To fix it would cost between $700-$800 regardless of who I take it to. One place I trust said it might be possible to replace it w/o splitting the case. If they can do that it would cut the cost down to $450, otherwise it if the case has to be split open to get the chain off it would be the same as everyone else. I love my bike and want/need to keep it running. I can't get a new new bike because I can't qualify for financing (already tried before I got the bike I have now and my credit isn't any better) because motorcycles are treated as "luxury" items instead of "necessity" items the way cages are.

So my choices are to shell out the money in the next month to get it done. Or. Run it like it is, try to put money aside for a newer bike and hope that my current ride stays running that long. I love my little 250 and want to keep her, but should I consider something newer with less age/mile related issues?
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't spend $800 to fix a 17 year old bike. I'd run it until it dies, then find a 5 year old bike for $1300 - $1500.

Or - I'd find a way to have the work done much cheaper. Find a handy friend to work on it together, find an independent shop that would have a better rate, etc. For some sense of scale, entire ninja 250 engines are for sale online for less than $500.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:26 PM   #3
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

I would use it as a trade in and get a newer bike. I got my 07 for 1300
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:50 PM   #4
sombo

If I were to get a newer bike it would not be another 250 simply because it would most likely be stock and not setup like mine. I like the way mine is set up and would basically want to do the same to any newer bike which would end up costing me even more then simply fixing my current one.

Old April 2nd, 2011, 05:14 AM   #5
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

If you can get a manual tensioner, you can tighten it more then the automatic stock tensioner can take up the slack. Get a manual and see if it really does need the case to be split to replace the cam chain.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM   #6
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

If you have it set up how you like and you like your bike find a wrecked but good running ninja and just swap the motor.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:08 AM   #7
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 for the manual cct
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjyang View Post
Get a manual and see if it really does need the case to be split to replace the cam chain.
I'm fairly sure it does, but I've got a new gen so YMMV. I tried when mine came down with the Kawi-click about a year ago. Shop said it was the cam chain. I replaced the tensioner and that helped for a little while but not for long. I've got about 16k on it. After spending 2 days and a lot of time/frustration getting the entire clutch off (not easy with a beefy nut that's cranked down to about 100ft-lbs and directly hooked to driveshaft) I discovered there's a gear and a flange that physically prevents the cam chain from coming off the bottom to simply pull it out & replace.

DSC04770.jpg
That's the clutch on the left, the cam chain guide is the yellowish plastic thing in the back, cam chain in the upper right, and the blocking gear center with the paint on it. The flange is under/behind & concealed by the gear

That said, I've heard they make replacement cam chains that can be riveted together like a drive chain. With the same tool too in fact, if you get a decent quality chain breaker/riveter. While still a bit of a pain, it should be not much harder than getting into the top end of the engine to check valves.

I'd definitely look into a manual CCT first though. WAY less pain if it's all you need to get things fixed up.

Just my

Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:06 AM   #9
sombo

@Paul. That's basically what the one shop was saying. That most Kawasaki's have a plate/gear preventing you from getting the cam chain off easily, but that he's had a few that didn't. He said it seemed to depend on the bike and he wouldn't know until he looked at it.

I don't see how an engine swap would save me any money. Figure a couple hundred for the engine, then another couple hundred to get it swapped out. I can't do the work myself since I don't have the tools or even a place to do it in.

The manual tensioner might not be a bad idea if I can get one. Again I'd have to have a shop do the work. If it works I guess it could at least extend the time before the chain absolutely has to be changed no matter what. I'll have to look into that option. Thanks.