ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 20th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #441
felo
ninjette.org member

Name: Carlos

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
IMO (and only IMO), forgiving for a street tire means that loss of traction is very progressive & linear. Michelin Pilot Road 3's are a good example of that. They don't have particularly high limits, but as you approach those limits you can very easily feel how the tire starts to lose grip, with plenty of time to adjust inputs to either keep it at the same slip angle, or to bring things back inline. Pilot Powers (the originals), are an example of the other side. Reasonable grip, but right up until they lose grip very quickly, making it more challenging to catch slides.

I haven't put enough miles on the Rosso II's to experience what they feel like when they are sliding, as they have a tremendous amount of available grip for street (and to a large extent, track) use.
thanks alex, i couldnt said better myself
felo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:36 AM   #442
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I'm planning on buying these tires, but I really don't have the patience to go through the entire thread. I read up to the 4th page and saw that they really are worth the money, but I also have big tire syndrome so I REALLY want to get the "120/60-17 55H & 150/60-17 66H HR Pirelli Diablo ROSSO-2 II" But I'm also considering "110/70-17 & 140/70-17 Pirelli Diablo ROSSO-2 II" Please tell me the first choice is just as good... lol. Seriously, if I go the 120/150 way, will there be a lot of pinching in the rear? I don't want to do 120/140, so it's either 110/140 or 120/150.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:39 AM   #443
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
I'm planning on buying these tires, but I really don't have the patience to go through the entire thread. I read up to the 4th page and saw that they really are worth the money, but I also have big tire syndrome so I REALLY want to get the "120/60-17 55H & 150/60-17 66H HR Pirelli Diablo ROSSO-2 II" But I'm also considering "110/70-17 & 140/70-17 Pirelli Diablo ROSSO-2 II" Please tell me the first choice is just as good... lol. Seriously, if I go the 120/150 way, will there be a lot of pinching in the rear? I don't want to do 120/140, so it's either 110/140 or 120/150.
Personally, I recommend the 110/140.

The 110 is going to give you the same if not better control of the bike because a 120 on that rim is a bit too pinched. If I were keeping the 250, I'd totally put a 110 on next time instead.

The 140 just fits and looks better than the 150 in my opinion. 150s look a bit silly on our bikes because of the way the bulge out. If you are looking at it in terms of performance, I don't think you'll gain anything getting a 150 over a 140.

Overall, absolutely amazing tires. I'll be throwing a set on my 636 before summer.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 04:43 AM   #444
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:
Best to stick with the 110, the 120 doesn't handle nearly as nicely, and it's just an unnecessary increase in the rotational mass.
Also, it'll give you an odo under-read.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:01 AM   #445
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Stay 110/140. The bike will thank you.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:25 AM   #446
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Ether way will feel fine and I doubt you'd even notice the difference. But if your using stock wheels I'd recommend 110-140 but if you'll sleep better at night 120-150 is ok as well.

Be warned the 120-150 setup will give you the world biggest chicken strips in the world no matter how leaned over to get, if you even care about that kind of crap. Here's my rear tire after a weekend of racing plus some street miles, its not a rosso II but it is a 150. I couldn't find and pics of the 120 front but it had a solid 1.5" of untouched rubber.

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:35 AM   #447
psych0hans

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Thanks for all your replies... I guess I'll stick with the 110/140 till I can afford the wider rims. I don't really want to throw TOO much money at this bike so i can start saving for my next one.

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:41 AM   #448
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

There's an 07 ZX-14r for sale, you know?

Old March 22nd, 2013, 05:53 AM   #449
psych0hans

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDementedDrummer View Post
There's an 07 ZX-14r for sale, you know?
I wouldn't take a ZX14 for free... THE ugliest bike I have seen...

Old March 22nd, 2013, 06:31 AM   #450
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Quote:
You don't have to see the bike, you'll be sitting on it

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:09 AM   #451
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
WOOT! At least isn't a pregen like most people think!!

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 10:30 PM   #452
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
How do the Rosso 2s fair in the rain? I'm gna have a rainy track day, dunno if I should switch to a different tire or not...
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 11:06 PM   #453
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
How do the Rosso 2s fair in the rain? I'm gna have a rainy track day, dunno if I should switch to a different tire or not...
I haven't installed my Rosso 2s nor been to a track, but my understanding the entirety of the difference between the 'original' and the 2 is improved wet handling; so I'd hope it would be at least acceptable
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #454
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Love these tires. Just make sure your tire pressure is looking good 'cause I was riding with my front at ~18 PSI for a little while after they were installed....

I haven't ridden in hard rain, but I have ridden with the street fairly wet after it had rained and I have to say they felt great.

I didn't really "push" the tires so I am not sure how they would handle wet on the track. I suspect they should still be damn good.

Old March 28th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #455
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

These tires are great! The bike just wants to corner and lean! Much more stable than the stock IRC's. I was leaning just as much, if not more than the IRC's, the first day they were mounted!
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 1st, 2013, 06:24 AM   #456
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
So 2900 miles into my Rosso II rear and I'm down to the wear bars on the left but what's surprised me even more is that it feels like the center of the tire is quite flat and my be even further along then my sides

I'm going to flip the rear tire around so I can hopefully get a few hundred more miles out of it before getting to cords on the left like I always do. Maybe some of you already know this but the reason most riders will wear out the left side of their tire more then the right is because they go faster through left hand corners. Yes I know that's obvious but the reason as to why is for us right side of the road riders/drivers you can normally see through a left corner where as most right corners are blind. I always ride with a cushion so I tend to hold back in the right where I can't see a bit more then the left where I can.

For you riders in a ride on the left hand side of the road country: Do you riders like myself who wear down to the cords on the side of the tire before the center notice a significant difference in the wear between your right and lefthand sides? I'm curious to hear if you where out your right side like I where out my left. Or am I just a pussy in the right hand corners and need to man up to achieve unilateral tire wear

At this point I'll be surprised to make it to 4000 miles on this rear so now I'm in the market for a new tire 26days later

I'm confident that as long as I stay with my racing 120 front ill maintain the good handling characteristics I so enjoy no matter what I run in the rear. I could mount another Michelin pilot road 3 that got me over 5000 miles or go against everything thing I preach and mount on a bias-ply something and pray it last more then a month.

Incase your wondering, no I haven't done any track days on this tire and I've only done 5 fun canyons days in the last 26 days.

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:02 AM   #457
saxnbass

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CBR600rr

If you're riding 3,000+ miles a month, maybe you shouldn't be looking into this type of a tyre.

Also, comparing the life of the Rosso II (sport tyre) to the Pilot Road (sport touring) isn't fair; it's like comparing the top speed of a ZX10 to that of a Harley 883.

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM   #458
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxnbass View Post
If you're riding 3,000+ miles a month, maybe you shouldn't be looking into this type of a tyre.

Also, comparing the life of the Rosso II (sport tyre) to the Pilot Road (sport touring) isn't fair; it's like comparing the top speed of a ZX10 to that of a Harley 883.
I'm not comparing anything I'm just trying to layout some base performance specs so I can figure out where I want to give to and receive for my next setup. If someone local has an IRC rear they don't want I can toss that on with my current front and do some more testing on the importance of front vs rear for bike handling characteristics.

I also laugh a bit at the idea of one tire having more grip then another since I've never gotten any of my tires to break lose in the street and that includes the IRC.

Old April 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM   #459
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
So 2900 miles into my Rosso II rear and I'm down to the wear bars on the left but what's surprised me even more is that it feels like the center of the tire is quite flat and my be even further along then my sides

I'm going to flip the rear tire around so I can hopefully get a few hundred more miles out of it before getting to cords on the left like I always do. Maybe some of you already know this but the reason most riders will wear out the left side of their tire more then the right is because they go faster through left hand corners. Yes I know that's obvious but the reason as to why is for us right side of the road riders/drivers you can normally see through a left corner where as most right corners are blind. I always ride with a cushion so I tend to hold back in the right where I can't see a bit more then the left where I can.

For you riders in a ride on the left hand side of the road country: Do you riders like myself who wear down to the cords on the side of the tire before the center notice a significant difference in the wear between your right and lefthand sides? I'm curious to hear if you where out your right side like I where out my left. Or am I just a pussy in the right hand corners and need to man up to achieve unilateral tire wear

At this point I'll be surprised to make it to 4000 miles on this rear so now I'm in the market for a new tire 26days later

I'm confident that as long as I stay with my racing 120 front ill maintain the good handling characteristics I so enjoy no matter what I run in the rear. I could mount another Michelin pilot road 3 that got me over 5000 miles or go against everything thing I preach and mount on a bias-ply something and pray it last more then a month.

Incase your wondering, no I haven't done any track days on this tire and I've only done 5 fun canyons days in the last 26 days.
for awhile i ran an 003rs front and IRC rear on the street. high lean is kinda sketchy on the rear but its fine for the street i thought.

Old April 1st, 2013, 10:03 AM   #460
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
I'm not comparing anything I'm just trying to layout some base performance specs so I can figure out where I want to give to and receive for my next setup. If someone local has an IRC rear they don't want I can toss that on with my current front and do some more testing on the importance of front vs rear for bike handling characteristics.

I also laugh a bit at the idea of one tire having more grip then another since I've never gotten any of my tires to break lose in the street and that includes the IRC.
I have a set for $50
AFM #676

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #461
radi4fun
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red Ninja 250R

I am super excited, I'm finally going to get some better rubber for my bike tomorrow my stock tires only have 3500 miles on them but there are already cracks on the side walls tomorrow morning I'll be picking up Front: Diablo SuperCorsa 110/70x17 and Rear: Diablo Rosso II 140/17x17. I'm a new rider and I'm sure I don't lean as much as I should so their will be a flat spot developing on the Diablo's and probably will have to end up changing them in 2k miles but its all good. Mootorcycle tires are super cheap compared to my G35's tires.

The only thing that suxs is that I called up FBC in Kerney Mesa and they want $93.xx to replace the stock tires with my own. I was shocked and I ended up hanging up on the caller. Replacing tires is going to cost me more than the tires them self. Hahaha. The cheapest I found was cycle gear. They want $60+tax for both tires. Dang this suxs. I'm getting the tires for $80 and it's going to cost me the same amount to change out the tires. This motorcycle hobby is very expensive.
radi4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #462
mgentz
Board Member

^did he just go in a circle?

Old May 25th, 2013, 02:45 PM   #463
radi4fun
ninjette.org member

Lol what do u mean circle?

Old May 25th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #464
mgentz
Board Member

You wentvfull circle. First by saying the tires were cheap. Then after talking about the costs of mounting you went on to say that the hobby is expensive. I thought it interesting.

Old May 26th, 2013, 01:00 AM   #465
radi4fun
ninjette.org member

yes, the tires are cheap. but i had no idea that mounting and balancing them would cost that much. i figured it should be a very simple job to do. its just 2 tiny tires. i mean, how much work can it be? i can't imagine paying full retail price on this @ $350 for the set and plus another $60 on top of that to get them mounted on the bike... haha that is 1/6 the price of the bike i paid. just seems funny to me.

I guess overall this motorcycle riding addiction is much cheaper than smoking or drinking alcohol. Plus it might help with Alzheimer's disease in the long run as your brain is constantly working while on the bike.

Old May 26th, 2013, 02:10 AM   #466
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

I think he meant that the tyres themselves were cheap, but the costs of the hobby itself, including the tyres is a lot

Old May 26th, 2013, 04:51 AM   #467
mgentz
Board Member

Where did u get the tires so cheap?

Old May 26th, 2013, 07:10 AM   #468
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post
haha that is 1/6 the price of the bike i paid. just seems funny to me.
Don't play the fractions game. You'll make yourself go mad thinking of how much money you've spent, and you'll end up neglecting maintenance because it costs money.

Just go ride and enjoy the bike.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #469
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
My rear Sport Demon had gotten stupid flat from 6000+ miles of mostly straight flat highway (I really hate highway 50 at times). Asked our local tire guy what he'd recommend and I now have a set of Rosso IIs

what a difference!! Not only was the ride so smooth on the straights I found myself going a lot faster than normal since I couldn't feel the vibrations from the tires, but in the corners she just rolled right over and danced up the mountain.

I so cannot wait for my first track day on these! Based on the reviews here, I'm glad I trust the tire guy!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 12:44 AM   #470
radi4fun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDementedDrummer View Post
I think he meant that the tyres themselves were cheap, but the costs of the hobby itself, including the tyres is a lot
This is exactly what I was trying to say. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
Where did u get the tires so cheap?
I got them from Richard (Racebikerentals). Drove 70miles from San Diego to Dana Point this morning to pick them up. That Dana Point is BEAUTIFUL. Just as good as LaJolla here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Don't play the fractions game. You'll make yourself go mad thinking of how much money you've spent, and you'll end up neglecting maintenance because it costs money.

Just go ride and enjoy the bike.
Lol, yeah I have already spent about the same amount of money in my gear and other stuff for the bike that I just stop counting. Maintenance cost isn't too bad on the bike. Plus most simple stuff I like to do it my self so that's good. I just wished I had the proper tools to take the tires off and put them back on my self. I don't have that big of a socket and torque wrentch thinking of buying some on eBay or something in the near future because I want to take my tires off and take out the chain every 2-3 weeks to clean the chain in kerosine.

I'm going to call up cycle gear tomorrow and see if they are willing to take the tires off the bike for me to change them. I'm hoping they do.

Old May 27th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #471
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by radi4fun View Post
I'm going to call up cycle gear tomorrow and see if they are willing to take the tires off the bike for me to change them. I'm hoping they do.
Why not get the tools to change them yourself? I'm sick of spending $40 for mounting every time I get new tires. My dad and I are going to just do it ourselves next time, balancing and all. I can do bicycle tires in 5 minutes, and I've read through all the DIY's on here and other sites. Compared to the other work I've done on my bike, how hard can it be??

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 27th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #472
radi4fun
ninjette.org member

i have also read through multiple DIY on many different sites and it does seem easy, but the cost of all the tools, equipment and time just seems too much. plus i live with 4 other roommates so our garage is usually full of cars so i don't really have any place to put all the equipment. Maybe when i settle down and have my own house, i will definitely try and build one just for kicks. plus to build a decent station isn't cheap and also how often do you really change out tires? maybe once a year or twice if you ride a lot?

Old May 27th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #473
C-Train57
C-Train57

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hi..my name is Shane..I live in the mountains in Squaw Valley where u can really test your tires. I have been really picky about the tires I wanted to put on my 08 250R. I Chose the Pirelli Roso II's. I have no regrets. At 100 mph these tires are amazing. Going around hairpins these tires are amazing.U want an all around perfect set of tires. Get the Roso II's. U will never regret it. I give u my word.. Hopefully I will have pics up soon as well as video to show u how well they handle.. I got maybe half an inch of chicken strips on the side from leaning so far down but never felt any slip or wobble or anything so far..I have about1000 miles so them so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
C-Train57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #474
C-Train57
C-Train57

Name: Shane

Motorcycle(s): 08 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Posted via Mobile Device
C-Train57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #475
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
That post made me lol
AFM #676

Old September 15th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #476
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Update

I'm still really happy with these tyres. I've used them in all 4 seasons now and they are hands down better than the stock IRC tyres.

I've had one puncture so far. A 1cm diameter, 3 cm long tube got kicked up by my front wheel and ended up pressing into the rear tyre. Because this tube was hollow, it immediately deflated the tyre. I was only going ~20mph at the time. The rear tyre remained sturdy enough that the bike came to a halt without me crashing. I replaced the tyre with a brand new Diablo Rosso II. I even had my old stock rear tyre I could have used, but I decided it was worth sticking with the Pirelli again.

I used to pump the stock tyres up to the recommended 28PSI front and 32PSI rear. I find that with these Pirelli's they feel too spongy if I use the same amount of pressure as stock tyres. When the bike is just on it's side stand, at that pressure you can clearly see an enlarged contact patch against the road.

These tyres are rated at a max of 40PSI front and rear. I'm currently running them at 30PSI front and 34PSI rear and that seems more acceptable.

On the stock tyres I'd frequently feel the rubber on the tyres bending. It makes it feel like the bike is drifting. Scary! On these Diablo Rosso IIs, that doesn't happen anymore.

I've had a couple of scary moments while riding with these tyres and while I can't say that the tyres saved me, I can say that they didn't let me down. Once I had to do an emergency stop from ~30mph down to 0mph. The other time I had to give sudden steering input to dodge a van that stopped in front of me (when I was riding to close ). Didn't loose traction either time.

I'd love to hear what experience the rest of you have had with your Pirelli's. I'd especially like to hear from anyone who has tracked them and from anyone who can compare them against the BT003s or any other popular non-IRC tyre.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #477
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

I'm at 10,000 miles on mine. Fronts are 1 mm off the wear bar, rears are just past them. Never been let down by these tire. Even in heavy down pours it surprised me with the amount of grip it has. Going to order another set soon, for daily commuting these have surpassed my expectations by alot.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #478
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Just got a set of these put on recently. Without question they stick better than the stock IRC tires. I also pump mine up to about 30 front/34 rear.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #479
Bones85
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Ordered these from AmericanMotoTire on Sunday night around 7-8pm and received them Wednesday afternoon so +1 for them.

I'll probably be installing these tires next month.

Are you all sure they should be run at higher pressure than 28/32?
Bones85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #480
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones85 View Post
Are you all sure they should be run at higher pressure than 28/32?
The max for both tyres is 40 PSI. It's written on tyres themselves. You don't have to run them higher than 28/32. Give 28/32 a try if you like. You'll probably find they are too saggy. Experiment, but just make sure you stay below the max.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote