ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old April 26th, 2015, 05:50 AM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Question Traffic Lights: Are They Needed?

Very interesting 2 part video on traffic lights:

Link to original page on YouTube.

That second video is particularly interesting.

Both of the above videos are about the UK. This is an interesting side-by-side showing of CCTV footage of a junction in Auckland, New Zealand: with and without traffic light control:

Personally, I find traffic lights on my journey to be the biggest cause of frustration and potential danger on a typical drive. I tend to choose routes which avoid traffic lights where possible. From my own experience I feel my journeys are more enjoyable, more flowing and safer when dealing with other traffic on roundabouts and even on intersections with broken traffic lights.

I'd love to hear your thoughts about this. Traffic lights must loose-power sometimes in North America and elsewhere? How do you and your peoples deal with it?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old April 26th, 2015, 07:25 AM   #2
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I think they should turn them off (4 way stop) during slow traffic. My area it would be Sunday-Thursday start at 10 pm - 630 am Monday- Friday morning.

Last futzed with by snot; April 26th, 2015 at 06:34 PM.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

As always, very interesting subject, Akima.

It takes non-Floridian civilized drivers to achieve such harmony without regulating lights.

Down here, even 4-way stop signs are potentially lethal for motorcyclists as each converging driver wants to cross at once, regardless conditions.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Down here, even 4-way stop signs are potentially lethal for motorcyclists as each converging driver wants to cross at once, regardless conditions.
I actually count myself relatively lucky over here. I think our roads are pretty good. Lots of roundabouts and very, very few stop signs. Unfortunately though there seems to be a growing number of traffic lights.