ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 17th, 2016, 10:10 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcycle.com] - South African Rider Mathew Scholtz Officially Joins Yamalube/Westb

Beginning*next weekend at round 7 of the*2016 MotoAmerica AMA/FIM North American*Motorcycle Road Racing*Championship, 23-year-old South African rider Mathew*Scholtz will compete in the*MotoAmerica Superstock 1000 class aboard the*#720*Yamalube/Westby Racing Yamaha YZF-R1. Mathew was officially signed to Yamalube/Westby*Racing earlier this week, and he will race for the team*at the remaining three*MotoAmerica rounds, which include Utah Motorsports Campus, Mazda Raceway Laguna*Seca, and New Jersey Motorsports*Park. The announcement was made by Tryg*Westby, team owner of Yamalube/Westby Racing.

Mathew, who previously raced for another MotoAmerica team beginning with*round five at Road America as a replacement rider for injured Sheridan*Morais,*finished third in the Superstock 1000 class in Race 1 at Road America, and*then, at round six at Barber Motorsports Park, he recorded third-*and fifth-place*finishes in Superstock 1000. He is currently ranked 10th in the Superstock 1000*Championship points standings.

In addition, Mathew is*also currently racing a Yamaha R1 superbike in the South African National*Motorcycle Circuit Racing Championship, and with*four rounds remaining in the season,*he is leading the SuperGP Champions Trophy standings by 47 points.

Like so many road racers throughout*the world, Mathew began racing in motocross at the age of five aboard a Yamaha*PW50. From the beginning,*he was a winner, and he quickly progressed through*the different race classes in the South African national motocross series.

When he was 13, Mathew made the*switch to road racing and, within a year, he was selected to compete in the Red*Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup*Championship. In 2008, 2009, and 2010, he raced in the Red*Bull MotoGP Rookies Cup–against several U.S. riders, including JD Beach, Jake*Gagne, Hayden Gillim, and Benny Solis–where he notched one race win (in the*Czech Republic at Brno) and several podium results.

In 2012 and 2013, Mathew raced in*the Spanish CEV, German IDM, and FIM World Supersport Championships.

Mathew says that racing*in the MotoAmerica Championship, and aboard the Yamalube/Westby Racing R1*Superstock 1000 machine, is a dream*come true for him.

“It’s an honor for me*to join such a prestigious and well-known team as Yamalube/Westby Racing,”*Mathew said. “I’ve had a chance to meet*everyone on the team, and I already*know that the Yamalube/Westby Racing R1 is brilliant, so I am very much looking*forward to competing aboard*the bike beginning at Utah. Although I’ve never*raced at Utah Motorsports Campus, I’m confident that we will be battling with*the boys up front. I know*that the team has not had the easiest of seasons so*far, but I will be giving it my all for the remainder of the 2016 MotoAmerica*season to help bring*the team and their many fans the results they deserve.”

Mathew and the Yamalube/Westby*Racing team will be on track at Utah Motorsports Campus in Tooele, UT,*beginning next Thursday, June 23,*starting with Superbike/Superstock 1000*practice at 8:20 AM MST. Superbike Superpole (Qualifying) begins on Friday,*June 24, at 2:00 PM MST.*Superbike Race 1 will go green on Saturday, June 25,*at 12:30 PM MST, and Superbike Race 2 is later on Saturday at 4:15 PM CST.

For more Yamalube/Westby*Racing news, photos, and videos, visit*http://www.WestbyRacing.com

Also, visit “Westby Racing” on*your favorite social media site.

South African Rider Mathew Scholtz Officially Joins Yamalube/Westby Racing appeared first on Motorcycle.com News.

Click here for full story...