ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 6th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #1
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dude!!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Oil overfill... bad?

Hi guys, I slightly overfilled the oil when I was changing it. My garage is not very level and it's a pain changing oil here. Anyway, since the overfill is slight, an extra 100ML at most, is it ok? In general, what kind of problems could occur from an overfill? Thanks in advance.
Betlog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

How much over? When the bike is level and not on a stand, is the glass completely full? Did you run the bike for a few seconds after you added oil? If yes, did you top it off after?

I think having too much oil runs the risk of blowing a gasket. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #3
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

Name: Chuck

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2006 Yamati 150cc Scooter

Just take the sprayer off a spray bottle, stick the straw into the fill hole, then spray the oil from the engine into a bowl. This way you don't have to pull the oil drain plug, and can get the 100ml of extra oil out easily.

Old June 6th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #4
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahninja View Post
Just take the sprayer off a spray bottle, stick the straw into the fill hole, then spray the oil from the engine into a bowl. This way you don't have to pull the oil drain plug, and can get the 100ml of extra oil out easily.
I ended up draining oil so that it hits just the full mark now when the bike is cold. I guess the question now then is by having it overfilled to say 100ml, have I done any damage to the bike? I've run the engine a few times without noticing the overfill since I assumed I did it right, doh!

Old June 6th, 2010, 08:50 PM   #5
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

I think you will be okay, just watch for any oil leaks after they next few rides. I hear that these engines are pretty tough.

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #6
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I had something similar happen to me recently. Was using my rear stand but not the front one since I didn't have the pin yet for it.

I kept adding and also added about 100ml too much. When I got the front stand pin and had the bike level I noticed it was at the max fill line. Not super bad, but I removed the extra 100ml also. I just removed the drain plug and let some out. Wasted a drain plug washer, so it was a wasted $2.50 for me. But since I didn't ride the bike with the extra in it or start it up it did no harm, just the $2.50 money wasted for a new washer.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #7
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
I had something similar happen to me recently. Was using my rear stand but not the front one since I didn't have the pin yet for it.

I kept adding and also added about 100ml too much. When I got the front stand pin and had the bike level I noticed it was at the max fill line. Not super bad, but I removed the extra 100ml also. I just removed the drain plug and let some out. Wasted a drain plug washer, so it was a wasted $2.50 for me. But since I didn't ride the bike with the extra in it or start it up it did no harm, just the $2.50 money wasted for a new washer.
So you were at the max fill line prior to removing the oil? Now it's at the middle?

Old June 6th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #8
Betlog
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I think you will be okay, just watch for any oil leaks after they next few rides. I hear that these engines are pretty tough.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Old June 6th, 2010, 10:05 PM   #9
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Yup. Was on the max line. Removed to have it right between the low and the high marks.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 04:17 AM   #10
snowlife
ninjette.org member

Name: snow

Motorcycle(s): BMW f800gs

Over filling oil can lead to damage. When you put in to much oil crank shafts can splash/churn the oil turning it into foam. If it is splash irrigated, foam will not be picked up effectively by the crank. If it is pump irrigated the pump may not be able to take up the foamed oil. Thus (stay with me), overfilling with oil can effectively lead to starving the engine of oil.

Got that from a Gregory's car servicing book. Not sure what happens on a dry sump engine.
snowlife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 06:05 AM   #11
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

In my opinion the recommended 1.4 US quarts of oil is way to conservative for these engines. The thing turns 11K easy, and that many RPMS needs lubrication.

I fill mine just shy of the high mark on the sight glass, and have been doing so since I got the bike. Over 4K miles, no leaks, and its doesnt burn a drop of oil.

As long as you dont go over the high mark, its not a problem. If you do go over the high mark, you risk blowing out a head gasket. What happens is there is nowhere for the excess oil to go, so it forces it out whatever space it can find....usually past the piston rings, and gaskets.

These things like CLEAN oil. When you cant see the slot in the sight glass anymore....its time for a oil change. And hopefully you are replacing the filter with every oil change, and cleaning the screen every three.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oil.jpg (70.7 KB, 14 views)
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #12
ScorpionNinja
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samer View Post

I think having too much oil runs the risk of blowing a gasket. Correct me if I'm wrong here.
not only that, but the motors Oil Pressure will be outta wack and other **** can go wrong! lol I blew one of my Cars engine 10+ yrs ago, due to over filling the motor oil!

So get the bike level again, check the oil and...

If you have a friend over, have them watch the sight glass and help hold the bike Level.... while You unloosen the Oil Drain Plug (NOT the Oil Filter Bolt Plug) and unscrew the Bolt, keeping it in the hole Barely, let it flow into a 12-16oz plastic cup (directly under the oil plug) untill like its 1" deep of Oil.

Then quickly FINGER TIGHTEN the oil plug back again. Ask your friend "Wheres the Oil level at now?"

If more oil is needed to be drained out, repeat but ONLY let out like 1/2" deep into the cup this time, etc etc!

Till its just a pubic hair Under the Upper level line!

Then tighten up the oil drain plug and torque it too 14.5 ft lbs.

Weeks ago when i dumped out the Rotella 5w-40 T, and filled Nate up with my new fresh Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic, I overfilled my oil by like 1/4 of a Quart!

I rode it around to the bank and town for afew things before returning home.
Then I washed my bike and checked the Oil level and again for Oil leaks.... No leaks but DAMN the sightglass was FULL!!!

So i let oil out as above, and all is well.

If you overfill it by 1/8 of a Quart or MORE (like me) and Go riding around say 500-1,000 miles without draining the oil to the correct level... thats when you most likely will Blow a Gasket or Damage your Engine. Even MORE so, if all those miles are 80 MPH, 10,500RPM, Highway miles!

Note: Ive pulled my fairings off so i can check over the engine for leaks/seeps,etc. None, so i got lucky!

I only rode around for maybe 25-30miles with like 1/4 of a Quart Overfilled. I checked the Oil after i changed the oil 3 times. BUT I think my faulty oil level reading, was due to me ONLY letting the bike run for like 30 secs, before turning the engine off. Also ONLY letting the bike SIT for like 2 mins, between start/stops/checks!

So ill from now on, ill let the bike RUN (idle) 2 mins, to let the oil pump get a good go at moving all the oil around, before turning the engine OFF, and letting the bike SIT for 5MINS+ before Checking the oil level! Do this 2-3 times and it should be Idiot Proof!
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #13
mikecronis
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R-J, 2005 Honda Superhawk VTR1000

100ml = .1 liters. That amount is irrelevant. Tolerances would allow you .5 liters in either direction easily.
mikecronis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2010, 07:06 PM   #14
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
That's very clever. +5
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 03:50 PM   #15
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
Originally Posted by cifex View Post
That's very clever. +5
have you used this method?

I bought a siphon and the tube was TOO FAT to put deep down into the motor, if you look down there, (oil cap off) youll see theres a SMALL narrow area leading deep into the motor case.

Also, some say to use a Turkey Baster... it wont FIT, its too FAT!

spray bottle thingy LONG and skinny Enuff???

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #16
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

I have done this with the spayer off of a windex bottle when I overfilled my pre-gen. I just stuck the straw down the fill hole and started to work the trigger on the sprayer, without taking the time to look down the hole first.

Old June 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #17
ScorpionNinja

Quote:
I have done this with the spayer off of a windex bottle when I overfilled my pre-gen. I just stuck the straw down the fill hole and started to work the trigger on the sprayer, without taking the time to look down the hole first.
and then?

what happened?

Old June 11th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #18
utahninja
Ride Smart, Ride Safe

The oil came up the straw and through the sprayer and into the bowl I was holding. I would spray the oil into the bowl for a bit, check the level, spray some more, check the level... until I had the oil level right where it should be. No mess, except for a windex sprayer with oil in it.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:29 PM   #19
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 07' Ninja 250r

It works GREAT!!! I dunno wtf happened: I drained, filled...ran it, topped it off. rode it for about 10 miles. when i checked it the sight glass was FULL!!!

Using the sprayer method as described above, i easily removed about 150cc of oil and the level is back to the upper 2/3 of the sight glass. no spill, no frill...just an easy solution to the problem.
corralhollowkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Name: Ralf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
In my opinion the recommended 1.4 US quarts of oil is way to conservative for these engines. The thing turns 11K easy, and that many RPMS needs lubrication.

I fill mine just shy of the high mark on the sight glass, and have been doing so since I got the bike. Over 4K miles, no leaks, and its doesnt burn a drop of oil.

As long as you dont go over the high mark, its not a problem. If you do go over the high mark, you risk blowing out a head gasket. What happens is there is nowhere for the excess oil to go, so it forces it out whatever space it can find....usually past the piston rings, and gaskets.

These things like CLEAN oil. When you cant see the slot in the sight glass anymore....its time for a oil change. And hopefully you are replacing the filter with every oil change, and cleaning the screen every three.
F.

My oil has been full, and I've been seeing it seep out the side and worst of all, the oil is opaque. I've put over a hundred km on it in that condition =(

Will make an appointment to change all the oils and grease the chain. Lesson learned.
Ninja Star is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:12 PM   #21
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

Seep put the side? where? how much overfilled. if its .1 of a liter, don't worry about it.

Did you check the oil right after riding? it will look opaque from air bubbles in the oil, let it sit for a few minutes and recheck.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:36 PM   #22
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asspire View Post
Seep put the side? where? how much overfilled. if its .1 of a liter, don't worry about it.

Did you check the oil right after riding? it will look opaque from air bubbles in the oil, let it sit for a few minutes and recheck.
It's seeping from the lower right side near the right footpeg, in front of the sight glass. After riding, I just saw dry green streaks. My friend worked at a bike shop and I asked him and he said that it's just overfilled and the extra oil is being forced out - not a huge deal. so I didn't much of it. I still have to check to see if the oil is opaque as I had earlier checked it right after riding.

BTW, good to another rider from the T. here

Old July 3rd, 2013, 10:18 PM   #23
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Just get a straw and suck the oil out.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #24
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

green? might be coolant from overflow tank.

Old July 4th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #25
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
green? might be coolant from overflow tank.
I wiped it off my bike but here's a pic showing where I see dry green streaks - they run from the top of the circle to the bottom. I'm hoping to show it to the shop when I go get tires installed.

But if someone could tell me what it is, and how serious it could be, I could potentially fix it myself and avoid getting ripped off.

Old July 4th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #26
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

if oil was "just overfilled" and being forced out, you gonna have a bad time. If its green when it dried, then most likely its coolant from the coolant bottle, which is just above there.

Old July 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #27
Ninja Star
teh n00b

Quote:
if oil was "just overfilled" and being forced out, you gonna have a bad time. If its green when it dried, then most likely its coolant from the coolant bottle, which is just above there.
Thankfully it's green. So I can just take out the extra coolant and that should be it?

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #28
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

no, bikes screwed, buy a gsxr

(not really)

yes

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:45 PM   #29
Ninja Star
teh n00b

I really appreciate eveyone's advice.

And everyone and their mom has a gixxer.
675 in the cards for me :P

But seriously, thanks a lot! Apologies for hijacking the thread though