ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 19th, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
drstimpy
two wheels good

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250 and 08 Triumph Sprint ST and custom calfee carbon race tandem

won't start!!! Warning long post!!!

you got to be kidding me!!!

after a 3 week project of reviving a new 04 with 200 miles that had been stored, everything was perfect yesterday. I have done the valves, changed the oil and coolant. put in springs and emulators. braided front lines. new demons. Hagaon rear shock. I found the perfect jet and needle height with meticulous up and down testing (112 and 3rd clip slot on needle) to match my pods and area p full system.

Finally, I went for the perfect ride yesterday. Jetting...perfect. braking...perfect. front and rear suspension...perfect. Idle speed...stable and perfect. Woo hoo I thought! An hour of great riding! when I got home I switched out the throttle tube for an R6 tube and that was super easy when I got the stupid bar ends off. No binding and a nice quick turn. I went to bed feeling pretty good about myself. Mistake!

So today I go to fire it up and it is cold so I put on full choke (as usual in the cold here...same as yesterday) and it cranks and cranks and cranks and cranks and not a hint of firing. So I figure I did the throttle tube last and maybe I messed up the kill switch so I test the switch and the bike stops cranking when I turn the kill switch off and resumes when I flip it on...no problem there. same with sidestand and clutch switches...all OK.

OK maybe fuel. I check all the vacuum lines and they are connected and the float bowls are full when I check the drains. I also smell a whiff of gas at the pipe. OK maybe flooded. Try choke off/throttle on cranking and not a hint of fire. give it a 2 hr rest and top off the battery which reads more than 12v when cranking (it's brand new too). Same thing after 2 hrs.

Now I'm really wondering so I pull a plug wire and test for spark on a plug outside the motor...perfect loud snap.

Now I really think I have lost my mind and I hope someone can tell me something stupidly easy that I forgot and I can thank you all and go back on my perfect ride.
Thanks in advance

Old April 19th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
kkim

try hooking up a vacuum hose to the back of the fuel petcock and suck on the tube to get fuel to the carbs to make sure it's flowing. Take the fuel line off where it enters the carbs to insure you have fuel flowing from the tank to the carbs.

I've seen pregens have a difficult time starting when the vacuum from cranking is not enough to get the diaphragm in the petcock to work properly when priming from a cold start or when the carbs have just been worked on. By draining the bowls, you may have made the situation even worse regarding low fuel in the bowls if you have a diaphragm problem.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #3
drstimpy
two wheels good

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250 and 08 Triumph Sprint ST and custom calfee carbon race tandem

will do thanks

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #4
drstimpy
two wheels good

not a fuel issue. plenty of fuel in carbs and I smell it at the tailpipe. It is almost like it isn't getting spark but I checked both plug caps and they are generating a spark. The very first crank after it sat I heard 1 cylinder fire once and no sign of life after that. You can't foul plugs in a 4 stroke can you? could I have been running rich all day yesterday with no symptoms and then have messed up plugs today? I mean the bike pulled hard to redline yesterday with the 112 jets and surged in the midrange on the 110s with a softer top end.

Still a mystery but I guess I will look at plugs

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #5
drstimpy
two wheels good

plugs are perfect...now what?
It's making spark. Could the spark not be HOT enough? If so, what do I do to check and fix?

Old April 19th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #6
kkim

were you able to verify fuel flows out through the fuel line to the carbs?

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:08 AM   #7
Haider87
Learning by doing

Name: Haider

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by drstimpy View Post
plugs are perfect...now what?
It's making spark. Could the spark not be HOT enough? If so, what do I do to check and fix?
Low spark voltage is possible, but i dont think it's likely. There are easy ways to check this, though.

Make sure the fuel system is good first, under the assumption that your mechanicals are tip top.

EDIT: ok i just read the post where you said the fuel sys is ok, and you heard one cylinder fire. Does anyone think it's possible that you aren't getting compression in one cylinder? Do you have a compression tester lying around the garage? Or at least some airbox primer?
Haider87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 03:18 AM   #8
drstimpy
two wheels good

fuel flowing freely through fuel line when vacuum applied to petcock. I don't have a compression tester but can probably rent one for a day. Easy enough to get some starter fluid today though.

Old April 20th, 2010, 08:31 AM   #9
drstimpy
two wheels good

Posted via Mobile Device
drstimpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2010, 08:33 AM   #10
drstimpy
two wheels good

What about flooding? Is there a carb condition that would just cause continual overwhelming flooding?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 20th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #11
madcrossover
ninjette.org member

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

could any fuses be causing a non-starting issue? or what about the starter? any filters not clogged? Just thinking out loud! Trying to see what it could possibly be. Have you checked your air filter?

Old April 20th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #12
drstimpy
two wheels good

Air filter brand new k and n pods. Remember it ran perfectly 24 hours ago. Starter cranks well. What fuses would affect this if the starter lights and horn all work and I have spark? It is truly odd. Still wondering if something could be stuck that would cause instant flooding ??? Guess I will pull the carb and look at them but I don't know what to look for.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old April 20th, 2010, 12:02 PM   #13
kkim

Quote:
What about flooding? Is there a carb condition that would just cause continual overwhelming flooding?
Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
a stuck float would cause that.

I assume you did the drill for a flooded engine?
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ca..._I_flood_it%3F

Old April 20th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #14
drstimpy
two wheels good

problem sloved owner needs software upgrade

Duh!
The quick turn R6 throttle spooled up too much cable and kept the throttle partially open so it would not start clean. see picture of throttle cables I attached. put old throttle tube on and all is well again. There unfortunatlely is not enough slack in the stock cables to adjust out the tension so I'm stuck with old throttle tube.

I didn't figure this out till I squirted some starter fluid at it and it sprang to life and revved to the moon.

Sorry, I can't believe I missed that...could swear I checked and tightened adjusters on throttle cables but must have missed it. Thanks for all the help though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0299[1].jpg (93.8 KB, 2 views)

Old April 20th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #15
Haider87
Learning by doing

Name: Haider

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Quote:
duh!
The quick turn r6 throttle spooled up too much cable and kept the throttle partially open so it would not start clean. See picture of throttle cables i attached. Put old throttle tube on and all is well again. There unfortunatlely is not enough slack in the stock cables to adjust out the tension so i'm stuck with old throttle tube.

I didn't figure this out till i squirted some starter fluid at it and it sprang to life and revved to the moon.

Sorry, i can't believe i missed that...could swear i checked and tightened adjusters on throttle cables but must have missed it. Thanks for all the help though.
awesome!! the closure, that is.
Haider87 is offline   Reply With Quote