ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Sluggish starting when WARM

This is a new problem that just started in the last week. When its cold, the engine starts right up. Almost instantly. After riding it for a while, I stop somewhere, shut it off, then try to restart it after being off for 5-10 minutes, it is really sluggish starting. It takes several seconds of cranking when warm vs. less than one second when cold.

Choke makes no difference. Its about time for the next valve adjustment. Factory plugs. Fresh oil change. About two weeks ago it fell over on its side with the engine off with minor damage, but it started right up and let me ride it home.

Has anybody seen this type of anomaly before?

Old October 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Tight valves can cause hard starting, and after the engine is warmed up it might be somewhat harder to start as the oil is warm and sealing the rings just a mite bit better than when stone cold. Seems like this would be a problem that would develop gradually though, not something that would just pop up one day.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
n4mwd

Its strange that this has started all of a sudden. I'm going to try to do the valves this week. Its probably time for new plugs too.

One thing that has been going on for a while is the gas mileage has been sucking for several months now. It still has reasonable performance, but gas mileage went from 70 when I first got it, to 56-58 now. At first I thought it was too much alcohol in the gas, but I recently filled up with 90 octane alcohol free gas and there was virtually no difference in fuel economy. It was hard starting when warm before the fill up so it wasn't that.

A friend of mine filled his ninja up with alcohol free gas at the same time I did and when we calculated the mileage later, he had 70 mpg.

Hopefully nothing is permanently damaged in there.

Old October 11th, 2011, 10:02 PM   #4
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
starts fine cold but then not when warm? are your mix screws still capped or could something/someone have gotten in there and messed with them?

doing a valve adjustment and new plugs helps a ton with cold starts.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #5
n4mwd

I did the valve adjustment and set the valves wide. The carb was out of sync too. When I took it for a test ride, it was idling very smooth and slow. I'm going out again today so we'll see.