ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #1
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Garmin 660 Mount

Does anyone else have this GPS unit?

I'm trying to find an unpowered cradle. This cradle from Garmin is powered - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA19P0PG0196

This car cradle is also powered. I'd use this but it's missing the 4 AMPS holes in the back so I can't mount it -http://www.mountguys.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=010-11270-04&click=21

I want to mount it to the bike but I don't want to wire it up so I can quickly remove it for track days. It comes with a battery so I should be fine for a few hours without it wired up.

I'm hesitant to buy a the first cradle and then cut the wires off and then seal the hole, it seems wasteful. So I'm looking for an unpowered Garmin cradle or a universal cradle that would hold it firmly.

Any suggestions?
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

First, I'd always prefer to run it powered. It lets the screen stay at full brightness the whole time it is on, and makes the GPS much more usable. But - if you want it to run unpowered, I'm not sure why you couldn't just cut the wires off Garmin's mount. If there is no power running to the pins, the GPS won't know that it's in a powered cradle and it won't behave any differently.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Dark
Simple kind of man

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Have you checked out RAM Mounts?

If you haven't already found a mounting solution then you should check out the SW-Motech mount, I installed it on my 300 to mount my Nuvi 500 (the 500 has a ram mount cradle that bolts to the quick release part of the sw-motech).