ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 6th, 2015, 10:56 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Anyone make a motorcycle bench + stands as opposed to a lift?

Rather than a lift, I want to assemble a low table just wide enough to comfortably support my front and rear stands where the stands will give additional lift to come close to the height of a ramp. Has anyone done anything like this for their bike?

Here's where I'm starting:
Instead of a garage, I have a furnished accessory building full of man-cave home theater stuff, so I have to work with a mostly-enclosed lean-to that has a gravel floor. I plan to level it and lay out flat concrete blocks to make a quick and dirty floor where I will also lay out interlocking workshop foam mats (already have plenty of this stuff). In the middle I want to set up a semi-permanent table/workbench for elevating the bike I am working on with ramps to get it up and then traditional stands to lift it a bit more (swingarm stand and triple-tree stand). If I need to do swingarm service I can ratchet it to the (very low!) roof. Because the roof is already so low, I can't waste much vertical clearance on the floor and I will have to keep the surface of the bench low too (probably not even two cinder blocks tall).

This is the plan:
-Measure how much width I need to comfortably set up stands and arrange two rows of cinder blocks within this distance apart.
-Cut a 2x12 board into a few pieces to go across the width as reinforcement for the surface board.
-Place a large rectangular board that spans the whole area on top.
-Get a couple of those automotive ramps that will help get the bike on the boards.
-Profit?

This almost sounds too easy. Perhaps I need to make it with a removable center section for more clearance when doing oil changes. Any other ideas for improvements before I get started?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 05:36 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
A few thoughts:

1) You don't have a real floor, and you're just piling stuff up to make your table. I have to wonder about stability. If this rig isn't rock solid you're asking for trouble.

2) It's all just piled up and so not really permanent, but it'll be a PITA to disassemble/move. Are you willing to have this thing in the middle of your workspace at all times? You'll constantly be bumping into it. One advantage of a lift like the HF one is that it's got wheels.

3) Consider the whole act of getting the bike up onto the table, then onto the stands and the space that takes, not just the width of the stands themselves. Remember, you need to stand next to the bike while you lift it onto the rear stand. You need to walk next to the bike to roll it up the ramps. Can you do all this if the bike is up on the table while you're standing on the floor? Or will you need to make the table wide enough for you as well as the bike?

4) Stuff happens. What if you screw up getting the bike onto the table? Think about a chock to keep it from rolling off the end. Think about what the bike will hit if it falls to one side or the other.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 08:18 AM   #3
garth285
KAWASAKI GURU

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): Turbo Ninja 250

A buddy of mine made one not to long ago, fortunatly for him it used to be one of the service departments work benches which was very strong, could hold multiple motors no problem.

I have seen it done a few times actually, anywhere from 2-4 foot tall. Some people have put at the bases a 2x4 or 4x4 that goes side to side about a foot out on each side for stability.

If you google "home made motorcycle table" it comes up with a TON of stuff and ideas!

I really liked this idea so you can roll the table and bike to the side and make extra room in the garage:

garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 08:53 AM   #4
green_bread
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R & CBR250R

^^ mmmm... Yuengling. I really wish we could get that stuff here in Missouri.
green_bread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 10:26 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
A few thoughts:

1) You don't have a real floor, and you're just piling stuff up to make your table. I have to wonder about stability. If this rig isn't rock solid you're asking for trouble.
I've done this kind of thing a few times. Rather than sitting on top of the gravel, the cinder blocks will be planted in the dirt and leveled with the floor on top just like the floor of the 12'x11' shed we just built two months ago and the 16'x16'x16' electrified and furnished accessory building that was built by contractors years ago (no foundation but anchored with tie-down straps per the building inspector for having it electrified). I'll probably be dumping all the gravel outside to lay bricks for the workshop foam floor.

Quote:
2) It's all just piled up and so not really permanent, but it'll be a PITA to disassemble/move. Are you willing to have this thing in the middle of your workspace at all times? You'll constantly be bumping into it. One advantage of a lift like the HF one is that it's got wheels.
Most definitely. This lean-to will be dedicated exclusively to the bikes for the foreseeable future. Because it is out of the sun/rain, I'll probably regularly park one on the bench, which is another reason why I don't want to make it too high.

Quote:
3) Consider the whole act of getting the bike up onto the table, then onto the stands and the space that takes, not just the width of the stands themselves. Remember, you need to stand next to the bike while you lift it onto the rear stand. You need to walk next to the bike to roll it up the ramps. Can you do all this if the bike is up on the table while you're standing on the floor? Or will you need to make the table wide enough for you as well as the bike?
Definitely a consideration. I want to keep it low since the stands will lift somewhat. If it is still uncomfortable to walk beside it then I will put something raised beside it to walk along which I can move once work begins.

Quote:
4) Stuff happens. What if you screw up getting the bike onto the table? Think about a chock to keep it from rolling off the end. Think about what the bike will hit if it falls to one side or the other.
I want it to be wide enough to park there and set it on the side stand even when I am not working on it, so stability is definitely a priority and I don't want it to be risky or awkward to use. I won't be riding it up but I will be pushing it up. A chock might get in the way of a stand but I may make a cheap one on a removable flat board that I can throw up there for the times I am just parking it.

Even though it will be surrounded by walls and a roof, there are openings at ground level on three sides, two of the sides are open at the top (like a horse stable) with one also having a large opening for walk/ride-in access. It's protected from the elements (even wind, mostly) but it's still like working outside as far as messes go. I don't think I'll be hosing it down in there but I won't be making a big deal when chain lube gets all over. Think of it like a floor-less shed with an always-open front door and an open gable on the back. I only have one outlet but I plan to make it into a wind-tunnel with fans on both sides for working in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garth285 View Post
A buddy of mine made one not to long ago, fortunatly for him it used to be one of the service departments work benches which was very strong, could hold multiple motors no problem.

I have seen it done a few times actually, anywhere from 2-4 foot tall. Some people have put at the bases a 2x4 or 4x4 that goes side to side about a foot out on each side for stability.

If you google "home made motorcycle table" it comes up with a TON of stuff and ideas!

I really liked this idea so you can roll the table and bike to the side and make extra room in the garage:
I like that idea too but I'd need a proper floor for that.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 7th, 2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Foxrider64
Hello Moto

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 1975 RD350; 2001 KX125; 2003 Z1000; 2003 KDX50; 2009 ZX6R; 2011 Ninja 250R; 2014 KX250F

About 4 years ago I built a motorcycle table out of plywood and 2x4s that had heavy duty caster wheels. I built my '75 cafe racer on that table. About a year ago I lost the table in a fire. Man I miss that table- super convenient.

I have a lift now that is great but hardly mobile.
Foxrider64 is offline   Reply With Quote