CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Dragon Tail Down

Popular motorcycle attraction, Dragon's Tail possibly closed for months
Friday, 26 March 2010 | Written by Shaggy |

If you notice some motorcycle enthusiasts with a lost and worried look on their face, it may just be performance anxiety.

The anxiety has nothing to do with any personal issues, but losing the opportunity to flex the motorcycle performance muscle as Mother Nature closes the king of all 'twisties', the legendary Dragon's Tail.

Located primarily in Deals Gap, North Carolina the mountainside eleven mile stretch of road boasts a mind-blowing and constantly leaning 318 curves attracting bikers and drivers alike from all over the world. A rock slide has blocked the road with authorities expecting the route to remain closed until July 31st while crews cleanup.

The rock slide, occurred on March 14th just as traffic by motorcyclists and thrill-seekers was about to pick up. The clean up process is expected to start on April 1st.

The southbound lane was reopened briefly after the slide but was closed again because of safety concerns.

The Dragon's Tail runs through both North Carolina and Tennesee, the rock slide has closed the road from near Chilhowee Lake to the North Carolina line. The Tennessee Department of Transportation will be responsible for awarding the contract to clean up Mother Nature's mess, but its the amount of time the job could take that has local businesses relying on tourism worried.

"There's a possibility that we could lose the business," Jody Montgomery told Knox News discussing the Punkin Center Motorcycle Resort, located near the Dragon's Tail, "No one realized what impact it (the road closure) would have on this community until now."

Authorities say the time is needed for contracters experienced in rockslide clearance and stabilization to transport the specialized equipment needed for such a job.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
Momaru

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Oh lordy. Thanks for the heads-up Oscar. I was planning a trip down there in May, guess it'll have to wait a while longer and then some while all the other people that were gonna go can get their fix.

Old March 26th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #3
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

A real bummer for those who have a great place in their back-yard.

Old March 26th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4
rage42
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

related video here:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article...-Tail-in-Tenn.

I saw this video a little while ago, but didn't think it was going to take 2 months to clean up...

I was going to take a trip that passes through there in mid-July...Didn't want to wait until August, but this was going to only be a 1 day stop on a 2 week ride.
rage42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 05:43 PM   #5
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Damn. I know a few people in Indiana that were heading that way in a month or two. Guess Not! Thanks for the Post CC!
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #6
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnichols79us View Post
Damn. I know a few people in Indiana that were heading that way in a month or two. Guess Not! Thanks for the Post CC!
The inside story actually came right from this forum. My favorite section (besides chating with the brillant people on here) is Motorcycle News. I find all the news, from many sites, that fullfill my passion. Although most is about racing, which is OK by me, there are also very good general news on motorcycling.

Old March 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Oh noes, I was planning to go up there this summer. I think I have to use my work vacation by the end of July.
It's okay though, its only a couple hour ride from the house, so a day trip or a weekend is doable.

Old March 27th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #8
foxpaws
ninjette.org member

Name: elle

Motorcycle(s): 10 kawi ninja 250

i'm expecting to need to go to our old place in TN late this spring, i thought it might be nice to plot a road trip and try the dragon (maybe very slowly at an off-peak time of day) but now i guess that's off the schedule, since i can't slide the timing.
foxpaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #9
Banzai
Psychic war veteran

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): Kawi Green '09 Ninja ZX6R

Wow, glad my family's trip to Maggie Valley is later this summer! Should be open by then, time to stretch the legs of the ZX6!!

Old March 27th, 2010, 07:12 AM   #10
JokerSeven
Ride it like you stole it

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '04 R6(sold)

That will definately change the plans this summer
JokerSeven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 08:32 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I passed on my opportunity to go August '08. I had a friend nearby in TN who I wanted to visit one last time before moving to San Diego withmy new bike and Google Maps even suggested US129 (AKA "The Dragon") when I selected the "Avoid Highways" option for Princeton, WV (dealer) to Newnan, GA (home), but the whole point of picking that option was due to having never driven on the streets with my only experience being the MSF course so there was no way in HELL I was going to take "The Dragon." I'm lucky I even knew what it was enough to suspect that 129 may have been it or else I would have taken it and been blind-sided by it.

I did enough research before buying to see plenty of references to The Dragon. When my friend moved up there earlier that summer and heard that I was planning on getting a motorcycle he mentioned "a place nearby that motorcycles love to go," which I instantly knew was The Dragon. No matter how I calculated the directions, "Avoid Highways" would always send me into serious twisties (looking at the sat view was scarry), so I just had to hit the Interstate for my trip home. At least my break in was complete by the time I got home! Ah well... someday.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Dano
ninjette.org sage

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 09' Blue Ninja 250R and 07' Honda 919

The last time I was there was in 05' had a awsome time there, alot of good roads besides the dragon to ride. And most of the dragon is actually in Tennessee not NC..just that everyone stays in NC due to the town and resorts being closer to the dragon. Lately the area has been heavily policed so making it not as fun..check out www.killboy.com for action shots of the dragon his website is great to check out pics.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM   #13
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Deal's Gap has provided a map of other area roads worth riding. If anyone had plans to do the Dragon here is some alternatives.

http://tailofthedragon.com/maps/OtherRoadsNew.pdf

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #14
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

What's the big deal with the Gap???
Pretty much any road in West Virginia looks like that...
TmP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TmP View Post
What's the big deal with the Gap???
Pretty much any road in West Virginia looks like that...
West Virginia does have some fantastic roads. Please stop telling people or it will be as busy as the gap.

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #16
TmP
Highway Ramp Hero

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

Hahahaha, ok.
TmP is offline   Reply With Quote