ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #1
seedanpaint
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

missing a washer!

Dealership changed oil last time and left out the washer that sits in between the spring and rubber grommet on the element. I can see where the spring sat directly on the rubber grommet. They probably left it sticking to the old filter. Going to get one from them in the morning.

Question is: Is it ok to let bike sit over night with no oil, the filter out and the oil plug out? My other choice is to put it all back together without the washer, but I can see how that could possible damage the filter.
seedanpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
zartan
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

should be fine.
BUT put some masking tape over your ignition so you don't forget and try to start it !!

Old March 8th, 2009, 03:06 PM   #3
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
should be fine.
BUT put some masking tape over your ignition so you don't forget and try to start it !!
lock-out, tag-out

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #4
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedanpaint View Post
Question is: Is it ok to let bike sit over night with no oil, the filter out and the oil plug out? My other choice is to put it all back together without the washer, but I can see how that could possible damage the filter.
I agree w/ Z, you'll be fine overnight. I would indeed put the washer back in and not leave it out.

bag everything up so no one ends up kicking parts all over the garage. you think you're pissed now?? ...wait till someone kicks the parts around and you can't find them!! ask me how I know???!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:04 PM   #5
seedanpaint
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zartan View Post
should be fine.
Thanks, great idea!

There was a guy on a scooter forum when I had a Honda Ruckus that had his engine bored, got it back and was so eager to get it back together he forgot to put in the oil and started it up. Ouch!

A little masking tape goes a long way!

Old March 8th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #6
seedanpaint
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
I agree w/ Z, you'll be fine overnight. I would indeed put the washer back in and not leave it out.

bag everything up so no one ends up kicking parts all over the garage. you think you're pissed now?? ...wait till someone kicks the parts around and you can't find them!! ask me how I know???!!
You and me both. My garage is littered with bits and pieces of stuff that I kicked everywhere. You buy the parts to replace them, then you find the ones you kicked.

Old March 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #7
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by komohana View Post
lock-out, tag-out
I put a piece of tape over the ignition, just never know what my drunk ass might do

For the tag-out, in the navy we had to tag-out every freaking thing! Have been usaf since 03....... I havent seen 1 TO. < You should see the open breaker panels around here
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote