ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:09 PM   #41
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavid2002 View Post
The dude just crashed no gay jokes
haha dirty bastard. I wasn't even thinkin like that haha
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:11 PM   #42
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Haha, but yeah I don't know how to describe it...it wasn't anything major and I should of just let the bike go through the turn..I stood up a little too early in the turn..you can see the red line before the red circle.. I just barely went off. It is honestly really hard to pull all the details from my mind about what happened. Now looking back at that picture I drew, I think I went off a little after that.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #43
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
Haha, but yeah I don't know how to describe it...it wasn't anything major and I should of just let the bike go through the turn..I stood up a little too early in the turn..you can see the red line before the red circle.. I just barely went off. It is honestly really hard to pull all the details from my mind about what happened. Now looking back at that picture I drew, I think I went off a little after that.

I'm just trying to think.. maybe your tires weren't warm enough? or they aren't broken into yet, especially on the edges? do you have chicken strips (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_strip)? These could have gave you that loose feeling.. ahahh gross.

post this on BARF's crash analysis section and someone with better knowledge can probably help you figure out what happened and how to prevent

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #44
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

I do have very small chicken strips. My tires were definitely warmed up by then.

The circle is the only part of any impact... the other smaller marks are from dropping it twice after the accident.

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #45
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Anyone know anything about bent forks? I can't exactly tell whats bent but the handlebars don't match up with the wheel...

I'm glad I was wearing all my gear. My helmet took a decent hit, jacket pulled up a little bit giving me a good bear claw, a little bruising where the hit pads aren't on the pants.

Now its repair time
ATGATT FTW

Wishing you a speedy recovery
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:43 PM   #46
1hardryder4life
ninjette.org member

Name: TBoz

Motorcycle(s): Nothing

Options:

1) Part it out.
2) Search for used OEM parts to put back to stock
3) Buy all new OEM parts to put back to stock (big $$)
4) Streetfighter it

PS...loosen the fork tube clamps and whack the front wheel against a wall or something to get the bars back matched up with the wheel. Careful to prevent damage to the rim. Tighten clamps back up.
1hardryder4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #47
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Damn! I'm just glad you walked away.
A bike can be replaced, a rider can't.
Rest up and try to relax ...
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #48
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

I wouldn't try to use the helmet more. I'd definitely get a new one, especially after the wreck + dropping it. So far it sounds like your front wheel is a little out of alignment. Happened to me after my little spill too. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though. As for the rest, ebay has plenty of used parts you can throw on your bike. Glad to hear you're ok!

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #49
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Street helmets are meant for one-time impact only. Just think, suppose your helmet was worth only $200. How much of a head injury would it take to run up a hospital bill of $200..? Even an expensive helmet is very cheap insurance...

Glad to see the OP is already trying to figure out how to ride again. Git back on that horse...

Old April 27th, 2009, 04:36 PM   #50
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verus Cidere View Post
I wouldn't try to use the helmet more. I'd definitely get a new one, especially after the wreck + dropping it. So far it sounds like your front wheel is a little out of alignment. Happened to me after my little spill too. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though. As for the rest, ebay has plenty of used parts you can throw on your bike. Glad to hear you're ok!
Agreed. It's worth it to spend some bucks on a new helmet rather than risking it.

Didn't know there was another street by that name. I get a better picture by the map link that you sent. Looks like a scary place to drop.
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #51
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Why mountain roads are a bad idea;
Mountain Roads are always a good idea. Crashing is always a bad idea. Riding over your head (sorry but you crashed) is a bad idea. Gay jokes from someone from the Gay (I mean Bay area) isn't a gay joke, it just a joke then.

You need to build the first street fighter 250r. You need all new gear, at least a new helmet.

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #52
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You need to build the first street fighter 250r.
Maybe to pass the time until I decide to spend the money on fairings for the left side of my bike, I will paint the frame red and remount the coolant container. Then when I do get fairings, I will just have a pretty cool red frame underneath the fairings for anyone who peeks in..

Mostly worried about getting my steering fixed, its pretty messed up, I'm going to have a mechanic take care of it.

Old April 27th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #53
tiburonsita
ninjette.org member

Name: m

Motorcycle(s): 2009 black Ninja 250R

Oh man that was not fun. Glad you made it home. My hubby did something similar and his shoulder in particular got banged up pretty badly. Aleve or Tylenol goes a long way for soreness. Take good care of yourself.
tiburonsita is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #54
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tib View Post
Aleve or Tylenol goes a long way for soreness. Take good care of yourself.
or some Vicodin
heal up fast tho

Quote:
Gay jokes from someone from the Gay (I mean Bay area) isn't a gay joke, it just a joke then.
is that shiet about Oscar? it was lavid2002 who turned what I said into any sort of joke. I was seriously curious about how he low-sided and what he meant, so don't even get me started.

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:51 AM   #55
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by paterick4o8 View Post
so don't even get me started.
I learned very early on, "don't flame a flame".

Only kidding, lighten up (unless you're light on your feet).

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:53 AM   #56
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Quote:
I don't have comprehensive (mistake). Since I still owe 4500 on it... it is worth buying new fairings and shifter.
I wouldn't buy any new parts for the bike until the insurance company signs off on it and all the paperwork is completed. They may give you a good salvage price and it would be worth it to repair it. Or they could go the other way and put a dollar figure on it beyond your reach to where it wouldn't be worth it. The only way repairing the bike isn't going to cost you more than it's worth is if you find a good cheap parts source and do all the repairs yourself and even then it's going to be pricey.
My first Ninja had much less damage than yours and was quickly totalled by my insurance agency. The price they wanted for me to buy the bike back was just too high, so I took the replacement value check and bought a new one. Don't cheap out when you buy insurance for a bike. I had full coverage and they paid for everything, my damaged gear and helmet, ALL my medical bills (that was only $24 extra per year) and even towing. The check I got from the insurance company was only $500 less than the retail price I paid for the bike, which made buying a new one as easy as falling off a log. Trying to save a few bucks on insurance can easily bite you in the ass when you have your first accident. On the other hand, if you have full insurance, you don't worry about a thing if something happens and to coin the phrase from the credit card ads, that's priceless.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #57
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I don't think he had insurance coverage.

I wonder if they make stunting crash bars for the 250? The bars that cover the entire side cowlings. A lot of riders would be saving their bikes by installing the crash bars instead on some fancy exhaust.

Wayne,

Riding the 1000 whenever I can. I'm not going any faster than I would on any other bike. Just the speed limit and then some. If we hook up when I come up it won't be a chase scene if we go for a ride.

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM   #58
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Wayne,

I don't think he had insurance coverage.

I wonder if they make stunting crash bars for the 250? The bars that cover the entire side cowlings. A lot of riders would be saving their bikes by installing the crash bars instead on some fancy exhaust.
NONE??!! Who rides a motorcycle with NO insurance? That's just dumb. I saw where he had no comprehenssive, but doesn't the insurance company still have to determine if he'll be allowed to salvage it?
Man, I can't fathom spending the money for bike and taking the chance of getting ZIP if you're involved in an accident. I have twice as much insurance on my bike as my car, because I'm probably twice as likely to be involved in an accident on my bike, statistically. If I hadn't had good insurance on my bike when I was in that accident last year I would be in the poorhouse for many years to come with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills as well as the total loss of the bike, instead of riding a new one paid for by the insurance company.
You've had a few bikes in your time. I'm sure you've come upon this situation a few times in the past. What do you think this guy should do? This guy needs some sage advice from sombody who's been around the block on 2 wheels a few times!

Old April 28th, 2009, 06:41 AM   #59
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
In Florida you have to have a certain amount of coverage in order to get the most important coverage of "uninsured and under-insured" on your policy. I'm not worried about me hitting someone (or me totaling a bike) but I am worry about getting hit by someone with no coverage. I carry a substantial amount because of that.

Old April 28th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #60
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

I keep forgetting that different states can have wildly different insurance rules. Here in Massachusetts it's mandatory to get uninsured/underinsured as well as property damage and medical for anyone you might hit. Anyone who owns a home here usually buys extra coverage on all those to prevent their home from being taken if they're sued as the result of an accident. Because of all the forced coverage, insurance is pretty high anyway and paying for comprehensive on top of that is no big deal. I know there are states where you can ride with little or no coverage, but why someone would actually do that is something I can't understand. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do it.

Old April 28th, 2009, 07:18 AM   #61
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I learned very early on, "don't flame a flame".

Only kidding, lighten up (unless you're light on your feet).
for sure man. can't tell sometimes when you're reading something as oppose to hearing how it's said in person. it's good you learned how to learn

Old April 28th, 2009, 10:08 PM   #62
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I keep forgetting that different states can have wildly different insurance rules. Here in Massachusetts it's mandatory to get uninsured/underinsured as well as property damage and medical for anyone you might hit. Anyone who owns a home here usually buys extra coverage on all those to prevent their home from being taken if they're sued as the result of an accident. Because of all the forced coverage, insurance is pretty high anyway and paying for comprehensive on top of that is no big deal. I know there are states where you can ride with little or no coverage, but why someone would actually do that is something I can't understand. Just because you can do something doesn't necessarily mean it's a good idea to do it.
I have great liability insurance on my bike.. no comprehensive. It was a major cost difference. I'm going to revise my policy for next time.. At least its $500-600 (if I buy new) in fairing damage and that's about it. I'm going to wait around and pick up some cheaper used fairings.. I have a few people looking out for fairings for me. Until then I'm riding nekkid.

Old April 28th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #63
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

There's typically 3 components to insurance; liability, comprehensive, and collision. Sounds like you only had liability. Even if you had comp, that wouldn't cover anything from this crash; comprehensive covers theft, fire, etc, almost everything but a crash. Collision is the portion that picks up the tab after an accident. "Full coverage" typically means having all 3 on the bike (or car).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:17 AM   #64
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
There's typically 3 components to insurance; liability, comprehensive, and collision. Sounds like you only had liability. Even if you had comp, that wouldn't cover anything from this crash; comprehensive covers theft, fire, etc, almost everything but a crash. Collision is the portion that picks up the tab after an accident. "Full coverage" typically means having all 3 on the bike (or car).
Yeah sorry getting the wrong technical term wrong. I only had liability. I will be getting collision soon.

Old April 29th, 2009, 12:42 AM   #65
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

not sure how i missed this thread. it is amazing that you are feeling fine. it is a great testament to wearing proper gear. i am very glad that you are ok.

as some of the others have stated, i would trash your helmet, or at the very least, send it to the manufacturer to have it evaluated. while it is better than wearing nothing, wearing it as-is will give you a false sense of security.

i don't know if it is just me or what, but that close up shot of the scratched up "ninja" logo looks like it would make a cool desktop wallpaper.
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2009, 08:23 AM   #66
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I have great liability insurance on my bike.. no comprehensive. It was a major cost difference. I'm going to revise my policy for next time.. At least its $500-600 (if I buy new) in fairing damage and that's about it. I'm going to wait around and pick up some cheaper used fairings.. I have a few people looking out for fairings for me. Until then I'm riding nekkid.
My Ninja didn't look all that bad after my crash. A few scratches on the fairings and a broken peg were the most obvious problems. I didn't really think it was any big deal to repair it. Then the insurance estimator showed up and made a shopping list of parts that had to be replaced a mile long. Swing arm, rear hub, forks, tail piece, etc. Some items didn't show any obvious problems at all, but they were bent or distorted enough in the crash that they had to be replaced. The cost of replacement parts far exceeded the cost of the bike when he was done and the bike was declared a total loss.
I'd have the bike checked out by a mechanic who is familiar with these things before spending hundreds of dollars for replacement fairings. You could be throwing good money after bad if there's a major problem with the bike you're not aware of or that's not easily visable to an untrained eye.

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:42 AM   #67
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I just crashed going 45-50mph 3-4 hours ago. Finally some nearby resident was able to load my bike up and take me home after the police report and medics were done..not in a good mental state right now... If I didn't correct I would've splattered.
Sorry! If I didn't correct, I would have been driven crazy by my OCD!

J/K... glad to see you made it out mostly OK. When do you think you'll be hitting the road again?

BTW, you made the same "of/have" mistake in rapid fire succession when you described the accident.

OCD MADE ME DO IT PLZ DON'T SHOOT ME!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 29th, 2009, 09:45 AM   #68
nmd003
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

Here in maryland, insurance for me (a 19 year old) if I would have bought a 2009 would have been in the neighborhood of $60 a month for full coverage. I pay $32 a month for full coverage on my 04.
nmd003 is offline   Reply With Quote