ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old January 27th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #41
kkim

Tor,

Any update?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM   #42
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tor

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r (*sold*), 2010 Daytona 675

Roads are iced over. We got today off because it was so bad.. They told me after I was already in the parking lot though. I've never rode my bike in anything wet, like the rain before, muchless ice. I didn't want to test my luck and take my bike to the dealer today. I'm going to try taking it tomorrow.
GreezMunky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #43
kkim

How about the insurance side of it or are you waiting for the bike eval first? If waiting for an eval, have you been in contact with the other driver since the accident?

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #44
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

I am waiting to get the bike assessed first. I'm hoping if the damage is under $500 she'll want to take care of it personally than involve insurance. And no I have not contacted her yet. I was hoping to get the bike done first so I could have all the info in hand before speaking with her.

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #45
archetype
ninjette.org member

Name: Sir

Motorcycle(s): A few

All pretty good advice.
I'd suggest to one and all, to cover your bases well as you can at the scene of the accident. A police report does help, if you have their insurance and contact info and they do not have your insurance info, it helps, it indicates an admission of guilt. More often than not someone talks to a friend or lawyer buddy, then finds some reason to debate who was at fault.
As the damaged party, you have the right to be paid directly, whether you fix the damage or not. Don't sign a release of liability, until you are certain all damage is covered.
Also, pretty hard to lose this case, as most all rear end impacts are the fault of the driver in the rear and your bike does not have a reverse gear.
Sometimes people will give you fake info, always write down their tag number, driver's license number and insurance info. If they won't let you see their license and insurance card, call the police asap and write down the tag number, if they leave it is hit and run.
Now, this looks like a pretty hard hit, there could be damage to the entire exhaust system, as well as, at the mounting to the engine, have the dealer check it carefully. Also, contact the other driver regularly and keep a record of your calls on your cell phone. Let her pay outside of insurance if she wants, but keep her insurance info, just in case. Good Luck.
archetype is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #46
archetype
ninjette.org member

FYI, Liability insurance does not have a deductible, so give her the estimate if does not want to pay, call her insurance company.
Try not to let this go much longer, without at least contacting her.

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:20 PM   #47
kkim

Tor,

I wasn't trying to be pushy for info, just trying to protect you. I suggest calling the other party and explain your intentions on repairing the bike. That way you can get some indication of their take on the accident a few days after the incident.

The longer you wait, the more time it gives for someone else to convince her otherwise. I've seen this happen more than a few times when there were no witnesses or police reports taken at the scene of the accident.

Wish you the best of luck on this. Good luck.

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #48
archetype
ninjette.org member

Kkim, I'm with you on this buddy.
Three brothers, a mom, a wife and one kid, I've seen it all.
There are a lot worthless people out there full of excuses.

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:34 PM   #49
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

I didn't think you were being pushy Kkim.. Sorry if I came off that way.

I'm not used to dealing with this stuff, usually my husband does.. So when I told him about it he said for me to wait until I got the bike looked over before doing anything. Also he said the less conversation the better. *sighs, shrugs* I want to call her but I don't want to mess things up by saying the wrong things and then when I actually get the price in hand her not wanting to cooperate.

Edit
Alright I called her but no answer. I left a message so I'm waiting for her call back.

Old January 27th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #50
kkim

If you are more comfortable doing it as discussed with your husband, I can see why you are going about it this way. My advice was given from seeing this happen all to often in the past.

Party at fault gives their contact info (which turns out to be bogus), is extremely sorry at the accident scene (yet days later acts like they don't even know what you are talking about when you call them) and insurance info that was handed to you is bogus.

Not trying to scare you, just passing on what I've seen happen throughout the years. I do know the longer you wait to establish contact after the accident, the shorter their memory becomes. I have run into some upstanding people of their word, too. I truly hope you've got one of them.

Old January 28th, 2009, 05:02 PM   #51
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

The ice finally melted enough by this afternoon that I was able to take the bike to the dealership.. The bill almost made me cry. $2,000 to fix the bike. The entire exhaust system from the motor back needs to be replaced. And then some crap with the passenger peg/mounting all need to be replaced. My insurance company is making me cover our $500 deductible and they said they'd cover the rest. (which at the time we didn't have an estimate). Once that is paid and the bike is getting worked on they'd go after her and her insurance company to get back all the money including my $500..

I am so upset right now. They told me they almost totaled my bike.

Old January 28th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #52
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Wow, Tor, that really sucks

I guess it is possible that with the impact to the exhaust, it has pushed up through the passenger pegs / exhaust hanger and bent the frame (unlikely, though possible). Is it possible to get a closup pic of the passenger peg section?

If (hopefully) there is no damage to the frame, and they just need to replace the passenger pegs and exhaust, you could consider removing the passenger pegs (depending on how much you carry a passenger and if you want to be able to) and get an exhaust hanger (AreaP ones are $45) and an aftermarket exhaust.

I am no expert, so others may have different views, this is just mine.
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 28th, 2009, 08:09 PM   #53
archetype
ninjette.org member

Wow, $2000 seems pretty high.
Can you post the estimate or list the prices, etc.?
I would not deal with your insurance until you are sure the other driver is not going to pay.
It's been a day, has she returned your call?
If not, call her insurance company tomorrow.
Let us know if her info was bogus.
Don't get too upset, this will all probably work out ok in the end.

Old January 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #54
BlackKarma
ninjette.org member

Name: Ronin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Chrome Yellow Ninja 250

Sorry to hear about the accident.Could have been Alot worse.Glad your alright! Hope everything works out.If property damage is involved..Always,Always call the police just to have a record and to keep everyone honest! Plus you never know when someone will change their story and turn it on you!

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:39 AM   #55
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Sorry to hear that Tor. But the good news is that it should be an easy fix for YOU once you get hte parts you want, and you'll have $2000 in your pocket soon!
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2009, 10:49 AM   #56
komohana
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 05 GSX-R 600 2003 EX250: Woodcraft Bars, Levers, Mirrors, Shim'd Mixture, Synthetic, '08 Rear Shock

crashing always sux...glad to read you reacted well, that you're getting things sorted out and your cycle is fixable. is upsetting going through the motions, but you're in one piece and your ride can be repaired. blessings be

aloha

Remember when sex was safe
and motorcycles were dangerous?
komohana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2009, 11:27 AM   #57
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

that's crazy but glad you didn't go down.

anyways i have a stock muffler for $50 plus s/h if you want...took it off 1st day i got the bike home
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:41 PM   #58
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

**Lil Update**

Alright, so as of tonight, Monday, this is where I am.. I've been calling the State Farm adjuster (the woman who hit me insurance) pretty much every day. First thing I did when he called me was write down his name and number before he could even get more than 2 sentences out. Last Saturday the Kawi dealership, that has my bike and that did the estimate, called to let me know State Farm had sent over an agent that day to take pictures of the damages to my bike and that the dealership faxed over a copy of the estimate. I called State Farm right before my lunch break today and he told me he has everything he needs (pic of my bike, pic of where the accident happened, estimates for me) and all he is waiting on is pictures of the damage to the truck to be uploaded from the car dealership where the woman dropped off her truck. After he gets that he said he'll be able to sit down and look things over and get this done and over with.

So maybe I'm a little impatient, but my bike was my main mode of transportation - despite the cold weather recently. I don't like driving my truck recently because it needs to be wrenched on to get a few things fixed. (something I don't enjoy doing any more ever since I started working on jet engines as a full time job) And now I have to pray every time I turn the key and my truck has been sitting out in the cold for awhile, lol. But by the time I get the check, order the parts, put the parts on.. I'm looking at 3 weeks at least for even more down time than time I've already served.

Here's hoping I get a happy phone call (for me anyways) tomorrow from State Farm..

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:46 PM   #59
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Thanks again for all the support. I'm so happy I didn't go down either. I still don't know how I didn't lose control of the bike. When I turned my head to look at the shadow of my bike to my right I was expecting to see the entire rear end smashed up that night. Archtype, whenever I get a look at the actual estimates on paper I'll get that info for you. As of right now I haven't been to the dealer since I first dropped my bike off. (Too painful to go up there and not take him back home with me.. ) Thanks y'all for all the offers for parts for my bike. I'm waiting right now to figure out how much State Farm is going to actually pay me before making any plans.

And yes, from now on I'm learned, always call the cops! You have no idea how much crap I was getting at work from the shop I work with because I didn't do that, lol. It was my first accident ever and I know I'm a little too trusting for my own good, but I try to be a nice person and help the other guy out when I can.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #60
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Don't beat yourself up for not calling the cops. In many cases, at least here in California, they ask you over the phone if anyone was hurt in the accident. If the answer is no, and there isn't any officer free in the nearby area, they instruct you to exchange insurance information and they give you a number for a towing company as needed.

Of course everything is easier afterwards with a police report with all the i's dotted and t's crossed, but won't be much more of a hassle without one.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:27 PM   #61
BlackKarma
ninjette.org member

Name: Ronin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Chrome Yellow Ninja 250

If you call the insurance office and explain that your motor was your main mode of transportation.You may be able to get aleast a week or two of rental car out of'em!! Worth a try.They will do the least amount they can.

They did that for two weeks when I got rear ended in my jeep.All I had to do was put gas in with unlimited mileage! Don't feel bad about asking them! That's what you pay them out the butt for year after year....

Old February 3rd, 2009, 07:36 PM   #62
archetype
ninjette.org member

Great to hear that the driver's info was real.
A little more time, it will all get worked out. Winter is not a bad time to go without the bike.
If you get the $2000, you might consider selling it and upgrading to a 09 model.
In any account, you should pick up the bike from the dealer, unless you plan on letting them do the repairs.

Old February 5th, 2009, 06:49 PM   #63
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Picking up my bike tomorrow. I can't stand waiting (especially since all the BS that just came up with the insurance). Since we've bought 2 bikes through them the dealership is going to hold off on charging me the $100 wreck assessment fee and give me back my bike until the insurance decides what it wants to do.

Not calling the police is coming back to bite me in the ass.. So the State Farm guy neglected to tell me the reason why he needed pictures of both vehicles before determining liability. The stupid motha #$*#*# who hit me changed her story when telling State Farm. Apparently what she said what happened was the VW pulled out right in front of causing me to slam on my brakes (basically brake checking her) and that's why she rear ended me. She told me that night when she hit me she took her eyes away from the f'ing road to look at the VW! No me not being a responsible rider and foreseeing what the VW was doing and acted accordingly by watching the VW, slowing down, and going around them. There was no panic stop! I already anticipated what that stupid VW driver was going to do so I didn't have to slam on my brakes! So because our stories differ State Farm is having to do an "investigation" to determine liability instead of her just fessing up and be done with it.

The only reason I found all this out was because I called my insurance and told them I was having problems with State Farm. My adjuster called them and the State Farm guy said they were investigating because there was "opposing statements" as SF put it. My insurance called me back and informed me of all this.

What I STILL don't understand is what is so "opposing" about her REAR ENDING me. SF said most cases the person is at fault, but not all. You can look at my bike and see that she hit me, not me swerving my bike directly into her or whatever BS senerio SF can come up with. I was so angry at work when I got all this over the phone. So now I will be calling SF at least twice a day now until something happens.

Can anyone think why I shouldn't be able to continue riding my bike around with the exhaust damaged?

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #64
kkim

Tor, I'm really sorry to hear this, but not unexpected. So much for her being a nurse and in a rush, yada, yada.

How did the bike ride after the accident. Did it feel any different at all? It's hard to give a recommendation without actually being there to assess the damage. How do you think it rides?

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #65
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

After I was hit I rode it around for another 15-20 minutes and everything felt normal. Then when I rode it to the dealership everything felt fine.. *sighs* I'm thinking of just biting the bullet the replacing the exhaust myself now and let SF dick around as long as they want to. I have the money if I honestly need it that bad, but damn it, it's the point that she hit me and why should I be the one paying for it?

Old February 5th, 2009, 07:58 PM   #66
kkim

I wouldn't even worry about replacing the muffler if it's functional at this point. I would be more concerned about what else might be damaged that can be a safety concern. If the bike is safe, ride it as is until the insurance crap is resolved.

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #67
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

That was along the same lines I was thinking Kkim.. Thanks for listening and replying with the the advice/info. I'll keep you informed as things progress.

Old February 5th, 2009, 08:07 PM   #68
archetype
ninjette.org member

If the VW pulled out in front of you and she hit you, then she is still at fault.
She has lost her case, period, following to close. Dumb bitch, changed her story and she is still at fault. Hasn't your back and neck been hurting ever since the accident? Call her insurance and tell them pay the estimated costs or you'll be hiring an attorney. Next time, call the police and note the pain.

Old February 6th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #69
ARc
Revolver Wario

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250

Logo Dude
Seriously. Having someone go and change their story like that is really really low. Good luck with winning on the case. Maybe you should call up the woman's insurance company and scare them like archetype says >

Old February 8th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #70
kkim

so, GM... are you riding the bike or letting it sit?

Old February 8th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #71
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Ummm, I just might be riding the piss outta it, especially yesterday. It's 70 degrees out here but the winds are gusting up to 47mph right now so I'm waiting for them to die down just a bit to go out again today. I'm going to go back to riding it to work too. Nothing feels different and everything I did to it yesterday with no hiccups makes me feel comfortable to go back to riding it again.

Old February 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #72
kkim

I'd start with short trips and it wouldn't hurt to check some nut and bolts that you think might have been affected with a wrench just to make sure they are tight.

good luck!!

have fun, ride safe

Old February 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM   #73
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

Don't bother ever calling State Farm customer service if you have a problem. They are extremely rude. I'm at a loss right now. I call the guy I'm working through 5-7 times a day and leave at least 2 messages every day. He says he's waiting on customer service (because that's who the woman filed her claim though) to get pictures of her truck. I call customer service and the start pointing fingers at the guy I'm working with saying it's all his responsiblity. My husband is going to call them tomorrow (from IRAQ) and see if he has any better results because after two weeks apparently I'm not bothering them enough. Jeff (the husband) wants to get JAG involved if need be.

I'm just at a loss what to do right now. I don't know who else to call to help me. I am never, ever, dealing with State Farm for anything. The guy has pictures of my bike, pictures of the accident scene, and a diagram of the accident. All he needs is pictures of her truck.

Old February 9th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #74
kkim

You should be dealing with your insurance company and they should be the ones going after State Farm (the other parties insurance company). Insurance companies do this all the time and you as a policy holder should be left out of this headache of a loop. What does your insurance company say about this?

Old February 9th, 2009, 07:27 PM   #75
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I agree with Kelly's thoughts. As frustrating as this is, it's your insurance company that should be bearing much of the brunt of the frustrating process. They will likely get action out of State Farm quicker and easier than you've been able to. Why are they having you deal with it in such a hands-on manner?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:48 PM   #76
GreezMunky
ninjette.org guru

So I just got the middle finger from State Farm today. After my husband called several different people and threatened legal actions, pictures of her truck magically appeared today. The SF guy decides that I forced her to side swipe me and therefore I am at fault for the accident and they are denying my claim. Because I went back into the lane I was originally in I forced her to hit me. Because there was no damage on the front of her bumper and only the side I forced her to hit me. I had some kind of suicidial death wish and slammed my under 500lbs bike into the side of her TRUCK because I have blind spots out the waazoo and forced her to side swipe me. (somehow magically -again this magic- managing to keep my bike upright after slamming it into her truck)

So my insurance is getting involved. They had an open claim for me this entire time but once I told them I was going through SF for a claim they said they'd hold off and wait and see how things turned out. Tomorrow I call and give them my statement and start this whole BS process all over again.

Old February 11th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #77
Viper-Byte
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R in Green! (Sold) Now 2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE

Wow, Tor, I am sorry to hear the amount of trouble you are having with this one now!
Viper-Byte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:03 PM   #78
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Tor - sorry to hear you are having all these problems. I have had SF for all of my car/house insurances since 1964 and have never had a problem with them.

Be sure and let YOUR insurance agent take up the fight now. Sit back, take a deep breath, and let them do the work.

Old February 11th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #79
kkim

Your insurance company should have been involved from the very instant State Farm started to back peddle. That's what you pay an insurance premium for. Use them to settle your claim. As you can see, you are the worst one to be in the middle of this as it adds stress to an already crappy situation having to deal with this stuff first hand.

It's like going to court and defending yourself w/o a lawyer... not the best idea.

Old February 20th, 2009, 06:09 PM   #80
kkim

GM!!! What's the latest on your saga???