ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Drg805
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Cam Chain Issues, need advice

I recently had some service done to my '06 Ninja 250 because I noticed a oil leak when I was at work. I saw a puddle of oil when I got out of work and took it home since there was still enough oil in the screen. About 30 minutes on the freeway and I get off and I noticed when I came to a stop a few streets down that the oil light came on the quickly off. Took it to the shop to get it fixed and had them also do a valve adjustment since it was about 6k miles since the last one. He said I had an issue with my cam chain and that it would eventually cause me to get a new engine. Today when I was riding on the freeway the throttle gave out and I took it off and let it sit for a few minutes and it started up with no issue and made it to work fine, but with a slight ticking sound. Not sure if you guys have any advice for me on this issue, but I am fairly new and have been riding for about 6 months. Only has about 12k miles on it and dropped once.
Drg805 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:49 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drg805 View Post
..........Not sure if you guys have any advice for me on this issue, but I am fairly new and have been riding for about 6 months. Only has about 12k miles on it and dropped once.
Welcome to friendly Ninjette.org, Daniel !!!

You bike is too young to have any issues.
It only takes some adjustment and lubrication.
What year is your bike?
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2014, 06:54 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
used engines are only $300ish so don't worry. if you want to split the case to replace the chain its not hard. the chain is only like $40 and bolts are cheap. i would clean the cam chain adjuster really well and put it back and see if it helps

Old May 21st, 2014, 01:14 PM   #4
Drg805
ninjette.org newbie

The bike is a 2006 model with only 12500 miles on it. The mechanic said it was probably from the previous owner riding hard without oil. I know that I got it at 6,000 miles and the previous owner had it garaged for quite a bit. The ticking/clanking noise is louder during idle or high rpm. I know I want to upgrade to the ninja 650 eventually, but just dont have the funds currently. I dont know too much about fixing or the tools necessary. Think a novice can take on these repairs?

Old May 21st, 2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
...........but just dont have the funds currently. I dont know too much about fixing or the tools necessary. Think a novice can take on these repairs?
Either the 250 or the 650 will need periodic service and eventual repairs.
Low funds mean that your only option is learning how to do it yourself.

On top of that, it is hard to find a mechanic that tests his ideas before assuming and guessing, as this man has just done.

We offer the know-how if you put the tools and the time and the patience.

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:01 PM   #6
Drg805
ninjette.org newbie

I meant the funds for a brand new vehicle, but I know what you mean. I would definitely prefer to work on my bike then have someone else do it for me. I guess the learning process is just wrenching on it and try and figure it out. Would it be helpful to upload the sound Im hearing? Also what kinda tools are necessary?

Thanks for the advice.

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:47 PM   #7
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
I meant the funds for a brand new vehicle, but I know what you mean. I would definitely prefer to work on my bike then have someone else do it for me. I guess the learning process is just wrenching on it and try and figure it out. Would it be helpful to upload the sound Im hearing? Also what kinda tools are necessary?

Thanks for the advice.
Yes, upload away...
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2014, 07:54 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........I would definitely prefer to work on my bike then have someone else do it for me..........Also what kinda tools are necessary?

Thanks for the advice.
You are welcome

Please, read these:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_Need_...or_Tools/Parts

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Rid...ht_a_Ninja_250

The other important thing that you need is a flat clean surface with some illumination and protection from Sun and rain.