ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I don`t know how they do it

Today a woman pulled out in front of me from a side street--Ninjette has super brakes--she was talking on her cell phone and lighting a cigarette at the same time. Now that`s multitasking. I am seriously thinking of replacing the stock Ninja horn with something much louder. I would love to find an electric mini air horn that sounds like one of those truck horns.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Today a woman pulled out in front of me from a side street--Ninjette has super brakes--she was talking on her cell phone and lighting a cigarette at the same time. Now that`s multitasking. I am seriously thinking of replacing the stock Ninja horn with something much louder. I would love to find an electric mini air horn that sounds like one of those truck horns.

You have no idea how many times I want to do the same thing. lmao
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 25th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

I want a damn fog horn - that'll make them spill their coffee on themselves, or drop their cigarettes or whatever - totally worth it!

Old August 25th, 2009, 08:42 PM   #4
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

The penalty for talking/texting should be WAY worse than it is. They should follow the DWI punishment model, except instead of revoking licences they revoke cellphone privileges - remove the right to carry a cellphone, and the current cell number immediately disconnected via court order, without the right to buy/connect a new phone to a wireless carrier. If they are pulled over in the future and a cellphone is found on their person, that cell should be revoked and number disconnected, even if it belonged to someone else. This will discourage others of "hooking up" friends. Just like the owner of a car gets a dwi if someone else who is drunk drives his car instead of him.

Old August 25th, 2009, 09:57 PM   #5
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

There's several alternatives out there, some require adding a relay...

I have the FIAMM Freeway Blaster, works good, sounds like a '74 Buick.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=horn
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #6
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
There's several alternatives out there, some require adding a relay...

I have the FIAMM Freeway Blaster, works good, sounds like a '74 Buick.

http://www.aerostich.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=horn
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14308
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:40 AM   #7
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimeified View Post
The penalty for talking/texting should be WAY worse than it is. They should follow the DWI punishment model, except instead of revoking licences they revoke cellphone privileges - remove the right to carry a cellphone, and the current cell number immediately disconnected via court order, without the right to buy/connect a new phone to a wireless carrier. If they are pulled over in the future and a cellphone is found on their person, that cell should be revoked and number disconnected, even if it belonged to someone else. This will discourage others of "hooking up" friends. Just like the owner of a car gets a dwi if someone else who is drunk drives his car instead of him.
Those are tough to enforce. I'd say just charge a driver who was using a phone and caused an injury in a crash with criminally negligent battery. A couple 10 year prison sentences ought to help curb the problem.
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 08:18 AM   #8
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcbride11 View Post
Those are tough to enforce. I'd say just charge a driver who was using a phone and caused an injury in a crash with criminally negligent battery. A couple 10 year prison sentences ought to help curb the problem.
As we are discussing this very important issue, our legislators in Maine are in the process of putting together a piece of legislation designed specifically to deal with distracted drivers. There has been lots of debate on the local level as well. They are not only targeting cell phones, but are also looking at GPS, sound systems, computers, etc. What about a pet suddenly getting underfoot? Or a child or children getting unruly? Just last week, we had a young woman driving down Rte 1 talking on her cell phone. A bee flies into her open window. She puts down the phone to deal with the bee, and her car gets into the oncoming lane where she neatly gets into a head on with a cruiser. The couple on the cruiser are in the hospital with "Non-life threatening injuries"--whatever that means, The girl in the car was unhurt and only damaged her car about $2000 s worth because the bike only dealt her a glancing blow. The couple wore full gear. I guess bees can be a distraction. I had a bee fly into my helmet years ago. It definitely got my attention. It`s going to be a tough law to write, let alone enforce. We do need to do something. The "Share the Road With Bicyclists" campaign seems to be working. We need something like that for motorcyclists.

Old August 26th, 2009, 09:15 AM   #9
smcbride11
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '95 BMW K75

Quote:
It`s going to be a tough law to write, let alone enforce.
Agreed.

I'm personally a firm believer in the fact that we shouldn't over-legislate. Doing so provides ammunition for lawyers to argue "the law says no hand-held cell phone use, not no cell phone use in general" and win. Writing a purpose-built law IMO is easier to argue and defeat than using existing "umbrella" laws.

It's a tough nut to crack, to be sure, but tacking some negligence charges - reckless endangerment, criminal negligence, whatever the state allows - on to some of these cases is better than writing laws to deal with it.

If the State Police were to initiate a crack down where they actually charge people with applicable existing laws, we might see an impact. For instance, there exists three separate RI General Laws about "Driving so as to endanger, resulting in [death,personal injury,physical injury]", which carry penalties of 10 year, 5 year and 2 year prison sentences and 5 year, 2 year and 1 year license suspensions, respectively.

We currently have an RISP sponsored "Buzzed driving *is* drunk driving" campaign - if they elected to start a "Distracted driving *is* reckless driving" campaign and then started charging cell phone related offenses under sec. 31-27 of the RIGL (which are the three laws I quoted earlier), I'd bet we'd see some impact - not to mention public backlash.

Last futzed with by smcbride11; August 26th, 2009 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Tweaked the language
smcbride11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #10
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Every bike should come set up like this one...

Link to original page on YouTube.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #11
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Every bike should come set up like this one...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Chuck Norris farkles FTW!
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 26th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
Chuck Norris farkles FTW!
When Chuck Norris gets on a bike, it instantly gives him 20hp to keep him from giving it a roundhouse and destroying it.

Old August 26th, 2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by noche_caliente View Post
I want a damn fog horn - that'll make them spill their coffee on themselves, or drop their cigarettes or whatever - totally worth it!
Put me down for one too!

Old August 27th, 2009, 01:07 PM   #14
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

how about a rocket launcher to help light up her cigarette?
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 27th, 2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Sailariel

Strider, Iam on a mission. I WILL find a 12V horn that can be mounted on the Ninjette that puts out a decibel level that will HURT. I have a horn on my sailboat that puts out 140Db and sounds like the Queen Mary. It is 12V and available at JC Whitney. Unfortunately it is too big. Give me time. I will find a horn that will definitely cause an underwear change.

Old August 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM   #16
Strider
Back on the Black!

Oh yeah Alex!

Here's a 110db I found ... : http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...Group?Ntt=horn

Old August 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #17
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
Oh yeah Alex!

Here's a 110db I found ... : http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...Group?Ntt=horn
Strider, Thanks for the Recon. Will keep that one in mind for sure.

Old August 28th, 2009, 09:52 PM   #18
darthnip
ninjette.org member

Name: darth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

My stepson just got his drivers license today, and like most teens and some adults, he's totally addicted to his cell phone, especially texting. Im scared to death he's going to be doing it while driving and get hurt or hurt someone else. I work in an electronics lab, myself and some of the other engineers were talking and we are seriously thinking about coming up with a device that would render a cell phone useless if the car is in drive or reverse. Its not that difficult really, most of the equipment I work with makes it impossible to get any signal on a cell if you're standing near it while its running. Making it function only when the car is in drive or reverse wouldn't be hard either, and it would cancel out if the car was off, in park, or even neutral. a manual transmission would be a bit more difficult, but could still be done by allowing the device to only shut off when the vehicle is in neutral. Even if i dont come up with it, it would be nice if someone would sooner or later. They already have devices for habitual drunk drivers that force them to blow a legal limit into a breath tester before the cars ignition will operate. It just seems they have plenty of data already to support such a device for a cell phone. With my luck some guy working for sprint will read this and we'll see it on the market in a few months. If that happens im fine with it, as long as someone gets something like that out there, thats good enough for me. Sure it would be great to come up with a device like that and reap the benefits, but its about keeping people safe more than anything. I know i've had too many close calls from people not paying attention, and i've seen plenty of those people with phones in their hands at the time. we're all guilty of it im sure, its kind of hard to get away from really. Im sure a lot of you are old enough to remember when we didn't have cell phones, and we still seemed to do just fine. My 9 year old seriously asked me what a pay phone was the other day! i just had to giggle about that one. she heard the wife and I talking about it and was like "daddy, what do you mean by pay phone, is that like grandma's pre-paid cell phone?" it was funny.
darthnip is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #19
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnip View Post
My stepson just got his drivers license today, and like most teens and some adults, he's totally addicted to his cell phone, especially texting. Im scared to death he's going to be doing it while driving and get hurt or hurt someone else. I work in an electronics lab, myself and some of the other engineers were talking and we are seriously thinking about coming up with a device that would render a cell phone useless if the car is in drive or reverse. Its not that difficult really, most of the equipment I work with makes it impossible to get any signal on a cell if you're standing near it while its running. Making it function only when the car is in drive or reverse wouldn't be hard either, and it would cancel out if the car was off, in park, or even neutral. a manual transmission would be a bit more difficult, but could still be done by allowing the device to only shut off when the vehicle is in neutral. Even if i dont come up with it, it would be nice if someone would sooner or later. They already have devices for habitual drunk drivers that force them to blow a legal limit into a breath tester before the cars ignition will operate. It just seems they have plenty of data already to support such a device for a cell phone. With my luck some guy working for sprint will read this and we'll see it on the market in a few months. If that happens im fine with it, as long as someone gets something like that out there, thats good enough for me. Sure it would be great to come up with a device like that and reap the benefits, but its about keeping people safe more than anything. I know i've had too many close calls from people not paying attention, and i've seen plenty of those people with phones in their hands at the time. we're all guilty of it im sure, its kind of hard to get away from really. Im sure a lot of you are old enough to remember when we didn't have cell phones, and we still seemed to do just fine. My 9 year old seriously asked me what a pay phone was the other day! i just had to giggle about that one. she heard the wife and I talking about it and was like "daddy, what do you mean by pay phone, is that like grandma's pre-paid cell phone?" it was funny.
You should totally do it. Big market there !

Old August 29th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Apparently something like that is already in the works. Some cell phones will come out where the parents can enable the GPS feature on it. When it detects that the person holding the phone is traveling over 10mph, it will not even ring, but give the caller a message stating that the person is driving, and they can leave a message. I heard about the feature recently. I'm not sure if it is out yet, but it is in the works.

As far as text messages go, I'm not sure.

Old August 29th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #21
noche_caliente

I know that there is a service with Verizon that parents can have their child's phone turned off during the school day and only receive voice mails, but I'm not sure of the specifis or exactly how it works - a friend with teenagers mentioned it to me

Old August 29th, 2009, 10:59 AM   #22
Strider
Back on the Black!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthnip View Post
Oh man! My kids have NO idea what a payphone is either!

Quote:
Strider, Thanks for the Recon. Will keep that one in mind for sure.
I'm in the market for a new horn now. Had to use mine big time on Friday, and they didn't even hear me over the sound of traffic!
I'm getting a LOUD replacement ASAP !!! Local dealership suggested I go online and get a minimum 110db...

I'm currently looking into this one : http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2137/333/
But I want to hear one in person before I buy

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #23
sombo

Making that sort of device would be easy. In England they made a jammer for cell phones to be used in movie theaters. It's now used by military forces as well to prevent roadside bombs from being detonated by cell phone (a common way of triggering them). This system is actually small enough already that you could fit it in some cars, trucks, and suvs. It could be made smaller since it wouldn't need the range and therefore the power that the military system needs.

The only problem I see with this idea is that it would also prevent any passengers from using cell phones. It's a great idea to prevent drivers from using the phone. But what if you have passengers and you absolutely need to make a call, like say 911 because someone in the back seat suddenly has some sort of medical emergency. Not every situation of cell phone use in the car is dangerous. It's a very sticky situation with cell phones. Dangerous as a driver to use, but potentially life saving as a passenger in some cases.

Now another idea that would be considered invasion of privacy would be to have a camera set up watching the driver. If a cell phone is used by the driver while in motion then the system would kick in. Not only could you have it jam the signal but also issue a ticket in the mail if that state has a law against cell phone use (as most do). You can see how this idea would work but would also create other issues dealing with personal privacy.

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #24
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't pursue the jammer angle. Illegal in many jurisdictions, ineffective unless amped up strong enough to affect other transmissions (nearby cars), and a workable solution would end up being quite pricey. The same goal could be achieved by putting the code onto the phones themselves. Most modern phones already have location-sensing on them, either full-fledged GPS capability or cell-tower triangulation, and they can pick up pretty well if the phone is in motion.

Lock the phone such that it can't call out when it is in motion, but put an override in so someone can in fact type in a code that allows them to make a call when it is in motion but it sends a mandatory text to mom/pop/our government overlords (take your pick) that the unlock emergency feature was used.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2009, 12:39 PM   #25
sombo

Not a bad idea alex. Any way you look at it you need to find a way to isolate the driver from others in the car in locking cell phones. It wouldn't be right or fair to block all cell phones in motion since you could be on a bus or train or boat or something other then being the driver. That's the problem with any idea we come up with, is preventing the driver while allowing the passenger to use a cell phone.

Old August 30th, 2009, 09:21 PM   #26
beowuff
ninjette.org member

Name: Yancy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Instead of "jamming" the signal, how about just setting the horn off? If it detects a phone signal, make the horn honk! That'd be embarrassing enough to curb the behavior, but not keep emergency calls from being made. Heck, it might even HELP in an emergency! And if near by cells set it off, well, maybe it'll get the other drivers to hang up too...
beowuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #27
istreefitty
sir posts a lot

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Well While I am fervently against using the phone while driving....I really dont agree with companies limiting those things. Sure studies show that it is dangerous, I get that. And some states have made compulsary laws taht outlaw fiddling with the phone, I can somewhat agree with that, but my issue is law making is where to stop. Are they going to outlaw using navigation while driving? are they going to outlaw fiddling with CDs, changing the radio, drinking beverages???? These things are all very dangerous, but they arent adressed like cell phones. What about driving while drowsy?? Some studies have indicated that if you are sleepy enough it is just like being drunk.

Back to the companies argument, I have a Toyota navigation system that completely shuts down access to my property while the car is in motion. I must say that Toyota is not my mother and I will never buy another Toyota untill they change thier pratices of trying to be my mother.
istreefitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:22 AM   #28
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

ive installed these horns on my previous bike and given a lot of mindless drivers something to wake up to!

i bought another set for the 250, but need to come up with some custom brackets to hold them inside the fairings. im quite sure there is enough space, just a little tricky, since i need to take the faring off, to fix them on which i would do at a metal workshop, but also have the farings there to make sure the horn doesn't get it the way.

i can vouch that these are great for their size/Db ratio :P
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 12:52 AM   #29
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
I'm currently looking into this one : http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2137/333/
But I want to hear one in person before I buy
I'm also interested in this. It sounds painful. I wonder at what distance they measure that db rating.

edit: looks like it is >139 4inches from the source. >115 at 6.5feet from source. Good for 50,000 on/off cycles. http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM   #30
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickds7 View Post
I'm also interested in this. It sounds painful. I wonder at what distance they measure that db rating.

edit: looks like it is >139 4inches from the source. >115 at 6.5feet from source. Good for 50,000 on/off cycles. http://www.stebel.it/stebel/index2006.htm
Nick, That Stebel horn will do the trick. That puppy is LOUD!

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #31
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Do some more research. The quality control has been kind of iffy lately on the stebel. That's what I was going to buy, until I read about the problems.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM   #32
Voodoo Rufus
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawi Ninja 250, Blue

A lot of Subaru enthusiasts install Hella Supertones on their cars because of the stock wimpy horn on the Imprezas. I even saw a pic of one with 4 installed.

Any idea if Supertones would fit on a 250 without too much trouble?
Voodoo Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 08:33 PM   #33
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

Alex, if your out there and reading this, now may be the time to split up this thread (if possible), and title the second half "The Ultimate Horn Thread."

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:24 PM   #34
Sailariel

Maine passed the first Distracted Driver Law in the country. It includes anything which distracts the driver causing him/her to drive erratically. It includes pets, kids, and anything that distracts the driver. The law went into effect September 12.

Old September 21st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #35
noche_caliente

Well, that seems almost a little extreme - all the school bus drivers will lose their jobs because they'll be ticketed while driving! Do you think they'll pass a law that says they can give the kids sedatives when they get on the bus? Or maybe sell them over the counter so parents can drug them any time we get in the car?

Old September 21st, 2009, 07:11 PM   #36
darthnip
ninjette.org member

Name: darth

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

well my stepson found out the hard way how serious i am about him obeying the law. the goofball was dumb enough to call me and tell me he was running late and wouldn't be home right when i asked him, so i was like no problem, then he pulls in the driveway like 5 minutes later and he was supposedly at a friends house when he called and the friend lives about 20 minutes away! so of course i knew he called me from the road, which is illegal at his age. so he lost the phone AND the car for a week lol. i hated to do it, since he just got his license a couple weeks ago. but i'd rather do that then have to go scrape his body off the road or go with him to court over him killing someone else in another vehicle. man kids are stupid. even at that age i would have thought to drive around the block a few times so it seemed like i called from where i said i called from geez! well thats if they had cell phones when i was that age lol. he's got them both back now, but they cant leave the house at the same time for a while. sure he's pissed at me, but i really dont care. i'd rather him be mad at me and alive than happy and dead or injure someone else by being stupid.
darthnip is offline   Reply With Quote