ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old August 31st, 2009, 05:56 PM   #1
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2006 honda Ruckus

My first crash after riding for 9 years. Oil slicked road.

I'm pissed and my pristine bike is not anymore because some jerk spilled oil all over the on-ramp. I'm a super careful rider and always watch out for hazardous road conditions. A corvette slid out 10 mins after I crashed and hit a wall. Bad news. What a bad way to have my first crash. I think I mostly got away unscathed, but I'm going to go get a check up just in case.

matteblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #2
noche_caliente
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

are YOU ok? from what you posted, I'm seeing new left bar, clutch lever, mirror and signal... and assuming plastics, or did those somehow survive ok? Check out the cycle control thread, today is their last day of the special offer

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:08 PM   #3
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

Wow when you said oil you meant it. The bike looks not so bad but glad your ok
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:19 PM   #4
matteblack
ninjette.org member

I think I am ok. Had a helmet, gloves and jacket on. Only the gloves and my jeans show any wear. I slid on my hands and left side mostly.

A lot of stuff is damaged but workable. left mirror and turn are gone, lower fairing, cowl, tail section, kickstand, clutch lever, and shifter are all scratched up. Left handlebar is really bent.

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Ouch! I as well am glad you are ok and the bike is not destroyed. Did you see it at all or not until you were on top of it and starting to slip?
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:29 PM   #6
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Didn't see it at all. Road looked normal and wasn't shiny. All of a sudden I was on the ground and sliding on what felt like gravel and that was it.

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:39 PM   #7
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteblack View Post
Didn't see it at all. Road looked normal and wasn't shiny. All of a sudden I was on the ground and sliding on what felt like gravel and that was it.
Damn. I haven't crashed a motorcycle like that but had similar crashes on bicycles both on and off-road, it sucks when there is nothing you could have done.

Fix it and get back on man!
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 06:43 PM   #8
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofo View Post
Fix it and get back on man!
That's the plan! There are a couple months left in the riding season and I'm not gonna ride the ruckus 100% of that time. In MN we need to use every last drop of summer!

Old August 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM   #9
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Diesel fuel. Did you file a police report? They usually catch the trucks spilling their tanks after they follow the trail, the driver or trucking company may need to buy you a new bike and pay your medical bills. If you filed a report, I would contact the police and see if they caught the truck that did this.

I used to drive a truck, this is serious and the DEC police take this really seriously around here. Happens about once a month here and they close big sections of highway when they find it because it can be very dangerous.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Gahh you can see the slick right on the tires....that's nasty!!

I'm glad you're ok. Now get some fancy new clip-ons
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:21 PM   #11
Anthony_marr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja ZZR 250; 1996 Suzuki Katana GSXF 600; 80s Yamaha 650 Special; 70s Kawasaki 350 Triple

Sorry this happened. But glad you're okay.

This is unnerving, that you didn't see it until you hit it. What speed were you going at?

Anyway, you bike will look brand new again within a month, I predict.
Anthony_marr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:32 PM   #12
matteblack
ninjette.org member

That's an interesting diesel fuel theory, Greg... I'll have to check in with the cops.

I was accelerating from a stop light and the road was shady and didn't look off at all to me. I was probably going about 35-45 or so. Hard to know with the speedo on the bike not being accurate and I was looking down the road and not at the speedo.

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:45 PM   #13
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

+1 to you being ok. Is your odometer at 1480 miles???
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 08:52 PM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

I bet a few dollars that it was a fuel cap left off the tank or a broken fuel line. The problem is that even if it starts as big puddles it will spread into a very long slick in almost no time, especially when the cars go through. I've just seen this too many times to think anything but fuel oil, and since it's on a highway diesel is the most likely culprit. A light rain makes it really dangerous since it isn't strong enough to wash the oil away. I'd go for the cap left off the tank since you were on a slight hill with a corner so it probably slopped out of the outside tank on an old truck that doesn't check things like tank pressure for leak detection. Think your car has a lot of stuff going on, the newer trucks have twice as much monitoring and control, OBDII is nothing compared to some of the modern fleet trucks with satellite assisted monitoring/tuning.

Any construction going on around that area? Or maybe a garbage hauling route? Those generally have the worst trucks and in some cases worst drivers (at least here, the garbage scow drivers are really bad most days, but a lot of check points have started to clean that up). Yes I commute on a garbage run from lots of places to the burning plant across "town" from where I work. God I'm glad that there are two popular checkpoints that run most days now, took a lot of the wrecks off the road. Things with bent axles always made me scared and mad, the driver is responsible for checking the condition of the truck and trailer, report minor issues, and not driving if there are major issues. Had so many arguments with one boss about what was required and what I was willing to drive with. You'd be surprised how willing they were to lose a $250,000 satellite broadcast truck to stupid things that should have been fixed the first time they were reported. A $50 mirror that would fold back at highway speeds leaving you completely blind to anything alongside the truck was one of the big issues. Damn glad I don't work for those idiots anymore.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:02 PM   #15
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Yep. 1480 miles. Bought it used a couple months back with 700 miles on it.

Again, amazing info Greg. It's wild that after 14 years on the road I have never heard of or witnessed a diesel spill causing such a slick road.

Apparently the city has now been by with sand to soak it up. A local forum member rode by tonight and it was sandy.

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:24 PM   #16
dimeified
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lucas

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue 250R

if/when i go down i hope to god it's on oil

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:32 PM   #17
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Yep. 1480 miles. Bought it used a couple months back with 700 miles on it.
Any wreck is tough to read about but jeez, your bike was still practically cherry. As long as you can ride again, it's all good.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 31st, 2009, 09:49 PM   #18
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Matt - glad to hear you are OK. As others have said there is not much you could do when you can't even see the hazard. Hope you can use Greg's insight and get some satisfaction.

Old September 1st, 2009, 07:17 AM   #19
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Glad you are okay!

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:48 AM   #20
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
I bet a few dollars that it was a fuel cap left off the tank or a broken fuel line. The problem is that even if it starts as big puddles it will spread into a very long slick in almost no time, especially when the cars go through. I've just seen this too many times to think anything but fuel oil, and since it's on a highway diesel is the most likely culprit. A light rain makes it really dangerous since it isn't strong enough to wash the oil away. I'd go for the cap left off the tank since you were on a slight hill with a corner so it probably slopped out of the outside tank on an old truck that doesn't check things like tank pressure for leak detection. Think your car has a lot of stuff going on, the newer trucks have twice as much monitoring and control, OBDII is nothing compared to some of the modern fleet trucks with satellite assisted monitoring/tuning.

Any construction going on around that area? Or maybe a garbage hauling route? Those generally have the worst trucks and in some cases worst drivers (at least here, the garbage scow drivers are really bad most days, but a lot of check points have started to clean that up). Yes I commute on a garbage run from lots of places to the burning plant across "town" from where I work. God I'm glad that there are two popular checkpoints that run most days now, took a lot of the wrecks off the road. Things with bent axles always made me scared and mad, the driver is responsible for checking the condition of the truck and trailer, report minor issues, and not driving if there are major issues. Had so many arguments with one boss about what was required and what I was willing to drive with. You'd be surprised how willing they were to lose a $250,000 satellite broadcast truck to stupid things that should have been fixed the first time they were reported. A $50 mirror that would fold back at highway speeds leaving you completely blind to anything alongside the truck was one of the big issues. Damn glad I don't work for those idiots anymore.
Speakng of garbage trucks, one left a long slick of liquid from compacting the trash for about half a mile on my commute today. It stunk and bet it was slippery.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:41 PM   #21
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Matt, Glad you are OK. The bike will mend. It sure looks like a diesel spill to me. Our oil man came one time and spilled some fuel oil--same as diesel on our Tarmac. I came in later on my bicycle. Never saw it--just went down hard. No jeans or jacket, just Lycra Spandex and a helmet. Washing diesel on road rash is bad news--have to use Mayonaise and then warm water. The Mayo absorbs the diesel. I am glad my arms and legs were shaved. There is no way you could have prevented that one. That stuff is nasty. I imagine the Corvette got some fiberglass damage.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 12:47 PM   #22
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Yep the corvette's front bumper was done. Seemed like the rest was fine, though.

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

A Corvette bumper is big bucks.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2009, 05:51 PM   #24
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

Glad your OK Matthew! but did you get checked out by a doctor? just in case ...

I know how it feels to see your baby get all messed up, makes you want to cry ... but once it's fixed again, get back on and go riding again!

Old September 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM   #25
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Wow didn't even know that diesel spills were so slippery and i drive the rigs. You learn something everyday. Thank god we don't have many old trucks around here the DOT's are always around keeping an eye out for unfit tractors and trailers.

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #26
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Well the bike was totalled but I'm keeping it and fixing the broken bits. It will have a salvage title and I'll still owe money on it, which is super lame. I did get checked by a doc and he said I probably only had some strained muscles.

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #27
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Well I'm glad you're okay. Good luck fixing the bike up.

Old September 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM   #28
patw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Well the bike was totalled but I'm keeping it and fixing the broken bits. It will have a salvage title and I'll still owe money on it, which is super lame. I did get checked by a doc and he said I probably only had some strained muscles.
How do salvage titles work down there? Is it possible to rebuild and get it certified and plated again?

To be honest, I'm not sure how it works in Ontario either, but all the salvage title bikes up here are sold as "track bike".

Old September 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #29
matteblack
ninjette.org member

I'm pretty sure once a title is labelled salvage, it's salvage. Pretty stupid considering that none of the mechanicals are ruined.

Old September 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #30
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

I just read this thread and I'm glad that you are ok, how are you doing now? Did you either get the bike fixed, parted out, get a another one?

nb

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:45 AM   #31
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
I'm pretty sure once a title is labelled salvage, it's salvage. Pretty stupid considering that none of the mechanicals are ruined.
They have different salvage codes here in FL. Some can can put back on the street, and some can not. Check with your dmv for sure, before putting money into it.

I remember the old days, they would let you put anything back on the road after the highway patrol gave it a look over.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 29th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #32
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Funny thing in VA, the bikes used in MSF by the DMV schools are ALL salvage. Mechanically, there is no problem with them.
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 03:46 PM   #33
matteblack
ninjette.org member

I got the bike back home from the shop the other day and have ordered enough parts to get it back on the road and functional. For the cosmetic stuff, I'll probably leave it for a while or get the whole bike painted at some point. I always wanted a white ninja.

Unfortunately there aren't many riding days left this season here, but I hope to get it out once or twice.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:28 PM   #34
matteblack
ninjette.org member

Got all of the new parts put on the bike today. It runs and drives just fine. Any recommendations for getting oily crap off the tires? I felt it being squirmy and I'm afraid to turn left until I get the tire scrubbed off.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #35
kkim

try using some paint thinner to remove the oil residue, then wash the tire with soap and water when done.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #36
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
try using some paint thinner to remove the oil residue, then wash the tire with soap and water when done.
Shh! Tell him to buy new tires and sell me his GT501 rear!

If only I could find a "salvage" one that actually intends to be salvaged.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2009, 12:04 AM   #37
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Shh! Tell him to buy new tires and sell me his GT501 rear!

If only I could find a "salvage" one that actually intends to be salvaged.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/DUNLO...item2a011436a8
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

OP: I may be weirdly seeking the same tires that just failed you but, well, I wasn't discouraged and neither should you. From what I understand, there are extra costs in getting a salvage title restored to a registrable title, but you could probably make it worth your while and stay under the insurance payout amount.

I Froogled before with no luck and *now* it shows up. adouglas used that image to swipe my CP Blue hugger from ztrack157 so I'll swipe his image for my purposes-bwa ha hah ha hah!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #39
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

welcome to the club.. glad you're okay though
ill tell you what was told to me on here when i crashed.
"don't crash, crashing sucks"