ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 14th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #241
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Wow, this thread is over 2 years old. Get this problem fixed KKim so we don't have to hear your old man whining anymore and so you can post another beautiful DIY !

I didn't read through this entire thread but I've heard things to check are tire pressure, alignment, wheel balance, spokes (does not apply here), and bearings. I've also heard that it can be caused by a rear tire that is worn or "squared". Best of luck.

Last futzed with by Boom King; May 14th, 2011 at 12:34 PM.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #242
Rebel M9tn11
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 08 Ninja Zx6r

I know this is olddd, and im on an 07, but I had similar problems from day 1... I did everything I could think of over the years and finally gave in and threw a gixxer stabalizer on it with a fork mount I machined up.. I don't know if the 08+'s have the room but its something to look into.. It is like a bandaid for the actual problem, but I found many handling benifets other then just the shake not being there anymore.
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/p8230025.jpg/

Last futzed with by Rebel M9tn11; May 14th, 2011 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Trying to get picture to work; new to forum
Rebel M9tn11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2011, 05:27 AM   #243
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Well, once again, changing tires cures the decel wobble for me. *shrug*
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #244
Rebel M9tn11
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja 250, 08 Ninja Zx6r

Mine would at speed as soon as the pressure on the bars went to light-none.
Knowing this from using choke for cruise control at 30mph and removing hands (hovering over bars) to check for wobble.. Sometimes it would go 1m without even a bit of shake.. Other times it would start its shake as I let off and try going into a slapper.
I can run no handed and go from line to line (leaning to stear) hard and it wont half the time.. Its completely random and I nor' anyone else has ever figured it out.
Rebel M9tn11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM   #245
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it is absolutely not normal for a NInja 250 to have constant headshake. Sure, at certain speeds under specific cirucmstances and road conditions it's possible, but if you get it all the time, there is a problem that needs to be addressed. A steering stabilizer only masks the problem - it doesn't fix it. Just like shimming the needles.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:26 PM   #246
skateboarder1210
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2011 kawasaki ninja250r special edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Wow... that's interesting. I'd be very interested to hear from others if this is a common occurrence with our bikes. I wouldn't think so... you may have the same problem I have, whatever it ends up being.
i had a pre gen that would wobble like that but my 2011 i can ride all day without hands, so definately could be the alignment of something
skateboarder1210 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:03 PM   #247
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

mine went away with bt-003rs ,but i did racetech front and rear shock at same time-so i don"t know what was difference-but is dead stable at every speed now
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM   #248
kkim

thanks for that feedback, Reese.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2011, 08:30 PM   #249
darrell85
darrell85

Name: darrell

Motorcycle(s): 2001 250 ninja

mine was doing the same thing untill i recently installed a new tire(by my self so i know its done right) it is usually caused from slight "cupping" on the tire tread due to hard front braking, and unbalanced tirescan also cause wobbling. it is much more noticable on our bikes because of the light weight and when we let off on the throttle the front end nosedives a little transfering more weight to the front end.
darrell85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 06:41 PM   #250
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

OK - another data point. I will not go so far as say the problem has been completely solved, but here goes. I just put on a brand-new set of Pirelli Sport Demons, replacing a very worn pair. The front was completely toast, with a V profile and nothing left on either side in terms of tread, though there was still a little left right in the middle. The rear was a little different, a bit flatspotted in the center, but still worn on the sides as well. The bike would have the decel wobble at almost any speed. Whether it was 60 mph or 30 mph, if I released pressure on the bar, it would start to wobble at an ever increasing amplitude until I grabbed the bar again. It was actually pretty bad toward the end.

I put on the new tires yesterday, the exact same model on both ends. But on today's ride, there was *zero* wobble. It didn't happen decelerating through 45 mph. It didn't happen at any other speed. I took my hands off the bars and coasted down a very large hill nearby, from 60 mph all the way down to just a few mph, and it was stable the whole way down. I'm a happy camper, and will be looking out for when it starts to reappear again on this set of tires.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #251
kkim

Thanks, Alex... this gets more interesting the longer this thread lives on.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2011, 12:45 AM   #252
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Intriguing thread...

I don't think we can completely rule out that the kkim-wobble might be the result of torque-induced precession: when a spinning top slows down the amplitude and frequency of wobbles increases.

There are many sources of torque that have the effect of pushing the wheel to one side, such as a minute amounts of debris rattling a bearing ever so slightly. Now, when you take the wheel off and hold it horizontally and whack it a couple of times when changing the tire the piece of debris dislocates and the problem disappears!

This would easy to check: take the tire all the way off and put it back on as if it were a new one. If that solves the problem, it would save people experiencing wobbles a lot of cash, as it would prove that the new tires are not an essential part of the solution.

For what it's worth, the following scientific paper has other explanations:

Study of stability of a two wheeled vehicle through experiments on the road and in laboratory
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #253
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Every time I have replaced my tires (4 times) the decel wobble has gone away but it always returns soon. All my takeoffs have been low-mileage take-off GT501 tires so I probably have less time than I would with a fresh set.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #254
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Just replaced my front tire today. I had a good shake at 50mph+ with the OEM tire on. Today I test road the bike up to speeds of 40mph, and all seemed fine. I will try and test mine tomorrow to the speeds I had an issue with the "shake". Maybe it's nothing more than an out of balanced tire?

Old July 16th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #255
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

i finally got around to installing my woodcraft clip-ons and slingshot preload adjusters-i have the racetech kit in my forks and i cut the spacer about 5mm to make room for the preload adjuster-i also put new bt-003rs front tire on going from 120 to 110 and now the decel wobble has come back with a vengeance-i'm going to put the stock bar ends back in like kkim diy and see what happens-with 120 front and stock bars bike was dead solid-on the other hand bike handles way better with 110 front and clip-ons
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2011, 11:08 AM   #256
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
is it possible as the amount of rubber leaves the tire due to wear, the wheel weights become relatively too heavy and actually end up unbalancing the tire? has anyone ever weighed a tire before they put it on then after they took it off once it's worn down?

Old August 2nd, 2011, 12:40 PM   #257
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
is it possible as the amount of rubber leaves the tire due to wear, the wheel weights become relatively too heavy and actually end up unbalancing the tire? has anyone ever weighed a tire before they put it on then after they took it off once it's worn down?
Yes, you should have your tires re-balanced from time to time. Same thing with cars. Every 5-6,000 miles you should do it.

My shaking is still there, even with the new tire, but I think I have an issue with something with my bike that is making my bike control badly.

Old August 15th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #258
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Are you guys only noticing the wobble with your hands off the bars? My 2007 has a wobble right around 35mph -- doesn't seem to matter the road condition, nor whether I'm accelerating or decelerating, and I keep both hands on the bars. My tire pressure is fine and the tires themselves are in good shape.

I'm 90% ready to believe that I'm hallucinating problems where there really aren't any.

Old August 15th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #259
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

How many miles on the front tire?

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #260
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Maybe it's geometry, and normal? Mine has the decel wobble in the 45mph-40mph area with hands off. It had it with the new stock tire and kept it with 003rs tires. It didn't seem to change. It doesn't feel like a vibration at all (like a balance issue). It feels like the wheel of a shopping cart, wobbling back n forth.

Old August 16th, 2011, 05:42 AM   #261
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

my handle bars use to vibrate about 40-50 mph real bad. after getting brand new tires, it seems to have gone away. possibly old tires were either unbalanced or bad tire wear.
gt_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:58 AM   #262
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
How many miles on the front tire?
About 900.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #263
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Yup, that's a new tire. I had some small wobbles on our 2004 version even with a new tire, but they were minor compared to how it felt as the tires wore down.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:50 AM   #264
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Had head shake (wobble) on my 08 Vstrom with Conti Road Attack tires with 3000 miles.

Tightened the steering head bearings to Suzuki's spec, and still had the head shake between 40 to 50MPH.

Tried several different tire pressures, checked balance, and wheel run out. Balance was good, no difference with different pressures, and the wheel run out was within factory specs.

Installed a new Bridgestone tire & headshake "went away". Understand some riders have problems on the Vstrom using the Conti Road Attack front tire.
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:06 AM   #265
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Yup, that's a new tire. I had some small wobbles on our 2004 version even with a new tire, but they were minor compared to how it felt as the tires wore down.
I'm pretty convinced that I'm making up issues. It's only at exactly 35mph (give or take 2mph) so I think it's just One Of Those Things. I'm not really used to only riding <100 miles/week, so maybe it's just that I'm not really used to the bike yet.

Old September 9th, 2011, 11:56 PM   #266
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Just noticed today on my brand new 2007 that the front will wobble when I take my hands off the bars. The faster I'm going the more it wobbles, but I don't feel a thing while my hands are on the bars, even at 90mph. I lifted the bike up onto the rearstand (goddamn that rearstand is awsm, stupid kawasaki for not putting it on the newgens) and spun the back tire. I could tell the tire was slightly misaligned.

I've also noticed that while in a turn the bike wants to go back to a vertical position. I'm guessing this also has to do with the misalignment. Currently my handlebars are both bent, could this be contributing at all?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #267
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Is your bike used? Most likely your bike has been dropped a few times. In some cases your front forks will twist inside the triples causing a misalignment. Worse case scenario is that your lower triple will get bent. Ask me how I know. I replaced my bent triple and it fixed the wobbly problem Now I just got to realign the front end since I have the steering turned to the left slightly to go straight.

Old September 15th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #268
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Is your bike used? Most likely your bike has been dropped a few times. In some cases your front forks will twist inside the triples causing a misalignment. Worse case scenario is that your lower triple will get bent. Ask me how I know. I replaced my bent triple and it fixed the wobbly problem Now I just got to realign the front end since I have the steering turned to the left slightly to go straight.
Yea its been dropped quite a few times. When we tear it apart on Monday I'll check out the forks. Bike also needs a new front tire which I think is contributing to the problem.
AFM #676

Old September 15th, 2011, 10:49 PM   #269
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
How do you measure this? A small deformation of lower triple will result in a not so small misalignment at the front wheel. Is there any way to estimate this by checking the wheel itself? I'm thinking that large dicrepancy is easier to detect than a small one, right?

cuong-nutz:
Thank you. After more than a year here I still seem to be stupid enough to not check the diy thread before asking dumb questions...

Last futzed with by Domagoj; September 19th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 01:06 PM   #270
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

There's a DYI thread about line your forks. You can use two flat straight edges and put one atop your top triple and one on top of the lowers and eyeball to see if they are parallel and level. Usually you can just kind of tell by pointing the front wheel straight and you look down the sides and seeing what's off.

Old September 19th, 2011, 01:39 PM   #271
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

I did a brief search through this thread, and didn't see anything.. But you may find this interesting. There is a theory I read some time ago, about the front end wobble on bikes like ours. And when I say 'like ours,' I really mean bikes with only one disc in the front.

The idea is that since we only have one disc, off to the side, instead of in the center of the rim, you get uneven wear on the tire under any form of braking from the front. Technically, you have more friction on the right side of the tire than the left. This may explain why a lot of people are losing the wobble with fresh tires. It only shows up at a given speed with our tire size due to harmonic vibration without dampening (gets bigger, blah blah blah) caused by the unevenness of the tire.

It has been mentioned that a lot of larger bikes don't have this issue with front end wobble at moderate speeds (40-55ish), so it seems plausible.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #272
Alex
ninjette.org dude

That has been debunked. The tire has no idea which side it's being braked from, from its perspective the rim it's mounted to is providing the force (which the disk is mounted to).

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:15 PM   #273
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Got a new front tire and it pretty much fixed the wobble. Front end will still wobble if I hit some bumpy rode but I can now show off and stretch my arms while at speed .

My mechanic also said that a front end wobble is more likely on the pregens than the newgens because of the difference in tire size. 16in vs. 17in.
AFM #676

Old September 20th, 2011, 05:17 PM   #274
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
I welded my stem bearings... no more wobble.

Old January 15th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #275
Greyfox
ninjette.org member

Name: Warren

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Front wheel wobbles

Hi guys.

What usually causes the front wheel to wobble?

My Ninja's front wheel sometimes wobbles / shakes when I take my hands off the handlebars. It does not do this all the time though

My tire pressure is perfect.

Wheel balancing?

Bearings?

Any of you guys had this problem before?
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #276
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
maybe you shouldnt take your hands off the bars?

Old January 16th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #277
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Although I don't take my hands off the bars, I do keep a lighter grip on them. I have felt the steering want to wobble around 45-35 mph on decel and it definitely comes from the front being improperly balanced in my case. The damn weight they used to balance the wheel&tire came off! Luckily it didn't hit the bike...

Last futzed with by hoodadooda; January 16th, 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Can't leave my posts alone. MUST EDIT.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #278
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
if you take the wheel into cyclegear they will balance it for you for free

Old January 16th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #279
SlowBoyRacing
ninjette.org member

Name: Mani

Motorcycle(s): ZX6-R and etc.

Are the weights still on the wheel?
SlowBoyRacing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2012, 07:59 AM   #280
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Yeah mine always does a head shake decelerating from 50-40mph. What's causing this?
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote