ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > Marketplace > Items Wanted

Old July 13th, 2017, 06:52 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

ISO headlight cowl and chin scoop 87-07 250

Prefer red.
Looking for the '98 model (pictured) mostly but not necessary.

Old July 13th, 2017, 07:50 AM   #2
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

@Ram Jet
Uncle Bill! Love these fairings. Have that Honda color scheme I love. This bike looks more purple though when actually I believe the exact name is midnight blue. There's a bike just like it at my local junk yard but the fairings are gone. Wonder if the front fender is there? I can't recall. Wheels and tires are in decent shape and on the bike. Problem with this salvage yard is the old man that runs it thinks everything in it is worth 5x more than it is. He wanted to sell me the bike without the motor/trans/carbs for $400. Get outta town! I've bought the air box off of it, the rear fairing, and something else (brain fart). Anyway the bike is just getting rained on and becoming a spider town. Wish he would let it go for $50
Wouldn't mind pulling the CDI off but I wonder if the rain has ruined it? What do you think Uncle Bill?

Old July 13th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #3
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
@Ram Jet
Uncle Bill! Love these fairings. Have that Honda color scheme I love. This bike looks more purple though when actually I believe the exact name is midnight blue. There's a bike just like it at my local junk yard but the fairings are gone. Wonder if the front fender is there? I can't recall. Wheels and tires are in decent shape and on the bike. Problem with this salvage yard is the old man that runs it thinks everything in it is worth 5x more than it is. He wanted to sell me the bike without the motor/trans/carbs for $400. Get outta town! I've bought the air box off of it, the rear fairing, and something else (brain fart). Anyway the bike is just getting rained on and becoming a spider town. Wish he would let it go for $50
Wouldn't mind pulling the CDI off but I wonder if the rain has ruined it? What do you think Uncle Bill?
I haven't had the need to fiddle around with the Ninja's ignition system yet. From what I can tell from the service manual the IC Igniter is the heart of the system. From the somewhat limited experience I have had with CDI ignitions the critical "black box" components consist of a sheet metal steel box containing the solid state components (thyristors, transistors, diodes, resistors etc.) sealed in epoxy. At least that was the case when I repaired my 1973 Kawasaki's CDI ignition system. They aren't repairable only replaceable units. If you were to buy a used component it should be tested according to pages 15-20 and 15-21 of your service manual - before you buy it. You would need a DVOM (digital volt ohm milliammeter) since most suppliers will not offer you a refund on any electrical component if it is bad. Since the unit is probably epoxy sealed I doubt that it's exposure to rain water would harm it. Most likely the electrical connectors may have suffered some corrosion which is usually easily remedied by an application of electrical contact cleaner like CRC's "QD Electronic Cleaner". If I were in your shoes I think I would just anti-up Partzilla's price of $383.86 and purchase a new unit - if you ever need one. The other components like the ignition coils and secondary high tension lead wires are less expensive and less risky to purchase used.

Perhaps the most knowledgeable person on this website to offer information about CDI ignitions is Triple Jim who fabricates CDI components for the old Kaw triples (400, 500 and 750cc) bikes. I think he's forgotten more than I'll ever know about these matters.

To quote Lilly Tomlin "And that's the truth".

Uncle Bill
Ram Jet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 05:19 PM   #4
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

@Triple Jim
Your input for a junkyard CDI?
Figured if the owner would take $20 for it I could live with it if it didn't work. They're all over eBay used for about $30-$40 tested and in working order. If I ever needed one I would go Bill's route and get a new one. But figured while
I'm dimantling this junkyard bike it might be a piece worth grabbing? But the old man will probably want $50 or more he thinks everything is gold in that place. However I can't say it isn't a great place to hang out and look at all the, well, junk. Not to mention the fun part of finding something you can actually use for parts!

Old July 14th, 2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Cra1g
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS, 2007 Yamaha FZ6

I need to get rid of a chin scoop from an '07 that's red, although I think it's a bit of a darker red than the '98. Let me know if you're interested.
Cra1g is offline   Reply With Quote