ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 21st, 2017, 10:57 AM   #1881
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sorry, didn't build the bikes. only rode them. i can post some photos if you're able to tell who built them. they have no names on them. one was a "toray" frame that weighed about 900g. a climber. it felt like it was going to break in half on a wheel off trainer cranking 300w. i dont think it was actually toray. donno how much it cost. next one was a cheaper generic chinese frame... didn't claim to be anything special. looks like uni12k with most of it covered in 2k twil. it weighs about 1100g and is an endurance frame. seems alright. only gets weird when sprinting. third bike was another no name that didn't claim to be anything special. 800g, straight tube climber. its ok. not as stiff as even something as mundane as a fuji altamira which iirc also weighs around 800g. and if i remember right he said it cost $900. which, if you look around you can get an altamira frame for the same price, and it will have better BB options, better size options, better paint... etc etc. but i've also seen lots of weird chinese bikes go through here.

so, just to reinforce the meaning in what i said before, my opinion is that if you're going to have a product that can compete with $2000+ frames, you aren't going to sell it for $300 on ebay.

Old February 21st, 2017, 11:13 AM   #1882
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Everyone should just go buy an Emonda SL like I did and be happy like I am. Then there would be no more arguing. The new SL6 even comes in this amazing blue:

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 21st, 2017, 11:57 AM   #1883
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sorry, didn't build the bikes. only rode them. i can post some photos if you're able to tell who built them. they have no names on them. one was a "toray" frame that weighed about 900g. a climber. it felt like it was going to break in half on a wheel off trainer cranking 300w. i dont think it was actually toray. donno how much it cost. next one was a cheaper generic chinese frame... didn't claim to be anything special. looks like uni12k with most of it covered in 2k twil. it weighs about 1100g and is an endurance frame. seems alright. only gets weird when sprinting. third bike was another no name that didn't claim to be anything special. 800g, straight tube climber. its ok. not as stiff as even something as mundane as a fuji altamira which iirc also weighs around 800g. and if i remember right he said it cost $900. which, if you look around you can get an altamira frame for the same price, and it will have better BB options, better size options, better paint... etc etc. but i've also seen lots of weird chinese bikes go through here.
Seems like seat-of-pants testing.. you have measured how much each frame weigh for your testing, but negated to disclose the cost of each frame that you've tested. Methods of tests are not particularly accurate in comparison.
At least get to ride one bike next to another along the same stretch of roads.

Cranking 300w in a trainer seems rather poor testing of ride characters of any frame regardless of frame material. If you are testing for characters of a bike to ride on the road regularly, would you test it on a trainer for frame flex vs riding it on the road instead?

You've seen "lots of weird chinese bikes"? how many is "lots"?

Quote:
so, just to reinforce the meaning in what i said before, my opinion is that if you're going to have a product that can compete with $2000+ frames, you aren't going to sell it for $300 on ebay.
Your opinion seems to be based on subjective, seat-of-pants testing with products that you don't seem to have much knowledge with, under conditions that are not specific nor consistent to testing carbon frames riding characters.

Might be as good of an opinion as yours..
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2017, 01:31 PM   #1884
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ok

Old February 21st, 2017, 03:45 PM   #1885
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
You two are obviously suffering from severe chafe and several pressure points on your tender bits! Never mind your damn frames; get a decent saddle and off those silly farkle seats! May I suggest a Brook B-17 for the ultimate attitude adjustment. Personally; I sit on the Hand of God now that my Brooks Swift has properly broken in! Sheldon (if you don't know Sheldon you're both a couple of coffee shop peloton poseurs!) has instructions (or the link, I forget which) on how to break in a Brooks properly. Best bit of kit I've ever bought regardless of price.

The PM feature on this site will work wonders towards your future love child without the rest of us having to listen to both your cries of lust while you both **** the bed.

Meanwhile; the sun popped out on Friday, the temperature climbed above zero and I removed my studded tires for hopefully the rest of the year! If this keeps up: I'll be shaving my legs before March!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4629.jpg (87.7 KB, 0 views)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:40 AM   #1886
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
You two are obviously suffering from severe chafe and several pressure points on your tender bits! Never mind your damn frames; get a decent saddle and off those silly farkle seats! May I suggest a Brook B-17 for the ultimate attitude adjustment. Personally; I sit on the Hand of God now that my Brooks Swift has properly broken in! Sheldon (if you don't know Sheldon you're both a couple of coffee shop peloton poseurs!) has instructions (or the link, I forget which) on how to break in a Brooks properly. Best bit of kit I've ever bought regardless of price.

The PM feature on this site will work wonders towards your future love child without the rest of us having to listen to both your cries of lust while you both **** the bed.
Please do not confuse baseless claims with reality.
You can have opinions about anything and everything, but when you make generalization claims, you need to have solid evidence to support your claims.

And that's not limited to cycling related topics.. with the convenience of internet, you can easily find support to just about any opinion.. but it is up to each one of us to determine which are valid and which are not.

To determine valid evidence, we all have to do our own research and think critically against available evidence.

You found your Brooks to be the best, present your evidence:

how many other saddles have you tried?

over how long of a period of riding?

How long did it take for your Brook saddles to be broken-in?

What are your typical distance per ride?

What's the longest period of time riding you've spent in the saddle without discomfort?

Sarcastic reply do not support your claim nor your credibility.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM   #1887
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Please do not confuse the message of my post. Additionally; it was directed not only to you. By all means make your point and then counter-point. Include supporting evidence if you so choose (an excellent and justified request which works both ways) but anything beyond counter-point is ad nauseum; you quickly lose your audience. Several pages of "he said, she said" is not really the point of any thread whether you're right or wrong. "You" made your point. For instance: there may have been an incredibly informative link to a brilliantly designed and constructed Chinese carbon bike frame for $300 (or anything else built in China) but unfortunately; I tuned out after the first half dozen rebuttals and I can assure you whatever lessons were to be learned from the exchanges will forever be lost to me. So; what was the point?

Make your point or rebuttal. Counter-point. Move on or get a room.

But then; I'm a steel frame kind of guy!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:54 AM   #1888
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

I guess what I was trying to say in a more polite manner in my earlier post was

Link to original page on YouTube.

"A" can buy his carbon eBay frames all day long if that's what makes him happy. Nobody has to prove anything on either side. Just go ride what makes you happy!

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old February 22nd, 2017, 03:09 PM   #1889
"A"
vampire

Quote:
But then; I'm a steel frame kind of guy!
So what kind of steel frame have you ridden?

Have you ridden everything else to give a decent comparison?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I guess what I was trying to say in a more polite manner in my earlier post was

"A" can buy his carbon eBay frames all day long if that's what makes him happy. Nobody has to prove anything on either side. Just go ride what makes you happy!
If nobody cares why not start discuss cycling related topics instead of just a post about "nobody cares"? get your post on topic.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:22 PM   #1890
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
If nobody cares why not start discuss cycling related topics instead of just a post about "nobody cares"? get your post on topic.
I guess you missed that giant Emonda up above?

Old February 22nd, 2017, 04:52 PM   #1891
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So I came across these a while back, I think I'm going to put one on my bike.

It's wild how suspension on pedal bikes has become so involved. Even a basic air-sprung MTB fork is so adjustable for each user and terrain. A similar idea was used on a motorcycle fork concept, but I've yet to read about this on a normal production bike.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here:
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/burden-of-proof
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:07 PM   #1892
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
So what kind of steel frame have you ridden?

haha. ok. that was actually pretty funny.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 05:22 PM   #1893
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^^^ Heyyyyy, I've actually designed/built/tested a few of those! Steel is awesome.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 07:40 PM   #1894
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
End of the day & 15k to go. Wet spots are just starting to refreeze. The women & children are still safe from the sight of my shaved legs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4633.jpg (65.0 KB, 2 views)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old February 24th, 2017, 07:42 AM   #1895
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I need to make a tough decision.

Well, one is easy. My wife's old Trek Lexa bike is sitting. I took off my Shimano Tiagra shifters and put it on her bike. The 105's are on my Trek 1.5. I am going to sell that for kinda cheap. Sure I'll lose a ton of money on it, but it is better than just sitting there collecting dust and parts rusting.

The tough decision is my Trek HiFi. I have not been able to hit a trail for a LONG WHILE. It is a comfy bike, and I really do like it, but I am at a point where if I am not using it, then I am asking "Why am I keeping it?" It is tough. I don't want to sell it because I love trail riding, but I have not been able to hit the trails. If I sell it, I am 100% road only.

Any suggestions on my course of action? I'll lose $$ with the HiFi as well, but it really has been sitting a while.

Just so you all know, this is my current list of bikes:
Trek HiFi
Trek Transport
Trek 850 ('83/'84) <- used mainly for short trips and towing my daughter in the trailer
Trek 1.5

I have only 4 bikes, but I have two that are for "if someone comes over and wants to ride". I may sell one of them. One is definitely being held for my daughter's first serious bike. I have another, but that is going to be going soon once I fix the coaster brake. I saved that one from the curb, replaced a couple of broken spokes, and I just need to adjust the rear coaster brake to prevent the rubbing noise when pedaling. Also my wife's old Specialized comfort bike, that is her baby.

So should I sell the HiFi or keep it? I do want to free up some room in the garage, but I don't want to regret selling something in the future. Ideas?

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2017, 08:56 AM   #1896
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
@Apex: How old are you , how knarly was/is your off pavement riding and how many more years before your daughter will be ready for that first, serious bike?

If the answers are: you're under 35, gentle cross country and less than 3 years then my questions are irrelevant!

Old February 24th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #1897
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
@Apex: How old are you , how knarly was/is your off pavement riding and how many more years before your daughter will be ready for that first, serious bike?

If the answers are: you're under 35, gentle cross country and less than 3 years then my questions are irrelevant!
37, I go in full attack mode on the trails when I ride. Of the three near me that I ride, one is kinda smooth XC, another is full off technical roots, and another is a mix of the two with several really sandy sections.

Probably 5+ years for her bike, but I won't bother getting rid of that, it is hanging up in a corner well out of the way.

Old February 26th, 2017, 12:53 PM   #1898
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://techau.com.au/mass-production...-set-to-crash/

Old April 2nd, 2017, 03:47 PM   #1899
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
She's done and I finally got to take her on her first official trail ride! New bike day is always the best.

This bike is special. It's so good, it's not intrusive when I want to try a new line; and it's super playful.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:22 PM   #1900
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
She's done and I finally got to take her on her first official trail ride! New bike day is always the best.

IMAGES

This bike is special. It's so good, it's not intrusive when I want to try a new line; and it's super playful.
Very nice!

If I could change one thing on my HiFi, it would be a remote lockout. I am not buying a new fork for that option, so I may rig something to make it work.

Old April 2nd, 2017, 06:46 PM   #1901
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
If I could change one thing on my HiFi, it would be a remote lockout. I am not buying a new fork for that option, so I may rig something to make it work.
I have a remote lockout on the Reba on my Yukon. I used it a lot when it was new because it was novel, but last season I think I used it all of twice on trail. I'd look for a damper with low speed compression adjustment over a remote lockout. Set it and forget it. Lock out is nice, but I found I only used it when I was on bike paths, and that doesn't really benefit from the remote ability. YMMV.

Old April 3rd, 2017, 06:40 AM   #1902
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Nice! I think I might have to go get a true mountain bike... The wife and I went out to the local state park with our dual-sports and did about eight miles of light trail including about a mile of the single-track stuff they've got. It was a lot of fun!

Old April 4th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #1903
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Nice bike and it looks like a lovely trail!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2017, 04:53 PM   #1904
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ya'll need to try the new canyons. they're ****.

Old April 10th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #1905
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

I'm jealous... I want an Ultimate CF SL Disc...

Old April 10th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #1906
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I'm jealous... I want an Ultimate CF SL Disc...
you mean one of these?

more classy bikes:

Old April 10th, 2017, 06:03 PM   #1907
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

Old April 11th, 2017, 07:04 AM   #1908
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

You're an awful person. =P

Old April 11th, 2017, 05:45 PM   #1909
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
I get it: this is a bling & farkle thread. But; I also don't care!
Spring has sprung and the studded tires are off! 3 layers was way over dressed today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4737.jpg (96.6 KB, 5 views)

Old April 11th, 2017, 08:43 PM   #1910
CaliGrrl

Quote:
I get it: this is a bling & farkle thread. But; I also don't care!
Spring has sprung and the studded tires are off! 3 layers was way over dressed today!
Nice!

Old April 12th, 2017, 07:57 AM   #1911
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
kind of want one of these. A rad power bicycle model radcity
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 12th, 2017, 09:14 AM   #1912
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
any bike you actually use is the best bike in the world!

Old April 16th, 2017, 05:23 AM   #1913
"A"
vampire

Cool

After few weeks of waiting, I received full refund for the frame package (in the wrong size) that I received; more to spend on components I guess.

Old April 16th, 2017, 01:18 PM   #1914
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Looking good! Going to use those wheels or go more aero?

Old April 16th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #1915
"A"
vampire

Those wheels are used so I can get an approximate fitment for saddle/stem/handlebar locations.

Not set on what wheels to use, but currently I have a set of 50mm Chinese wheels that's has over 2.5k miles. Cost $345 two years ago, still have not need truing, but the braking surface have some wear.

Last futzed with by "A"; April 16th, 2017 at 03:49 PM.

Old April 16th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #1916
CaliGrrl

Husband and I actually got the bicycles out this week. I had two days on the road bike (6 miles and 8 miles), and 14 miles today on the mountain bike. I even think I'll survive it....

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:00 PM   #1917
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Those wheels are used so I can get an approximate fitment for saddle/stem/handlebar locations.

Not set on what wheels to use, but currently I have a set of 50mm Chinese wheels that's has over 2.5k miles. Cost $345 two years ago, still have not need truing, but the braking surface have some wear.
chinese? really? they look like mavic 52s. cosmics without the stickers

Old April 17th, 2017, 12:20 PM   #1918
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I want a gravel/adventure road bike that can fit 650Bx2" tires with disk brakes. I'm thinking either carbon or Chromoly, because carbon is hot and chromoly is smooth. Fender mounts not necessary but nice. I want to run 1x11 on it. Hydraulic disks are mandatory. I have no objection to building up from a frame. Recommend me.

Optionally, a nice fat 700x40 would work, but I'd prefer to run the new road+ 650B horizon tires from WTB or a very fast 650B Speed King from Continental.

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:05 AM   #1919
"A"
vampire

Cool

Quote:
chinese? really? they look like mavic 52s. cosmics without the stickers
Yes Chinese.. just the Mavic stickers makes them look more legit.
The wheels are more expensive now, and mine are 50mm x 25mm wide; makes getting tires on-off them carbon rims easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I want a gravel/adventure road bike that can fit 650Bx2" tires with disk brakes. I'm thinking either carbon or Chromoly, because carbon is hot and chromoly is smooth. Fender mounts not necessary but nice. I want to run 1x11 on it. Hydraulic disks are mandatory. I have no objection to building up from a frame. Recommend me.

Optionally, a nice fat 700x40 would work, but I'd prefer to run the new road+ 650B horizon tires from WTB or a very fast 650B Speed King from Continental.
Instead of getting a completely new bike, why not convert a MTB with disc brake mounts already for gravel/adventure use?

What are the reason that made you specify 650b wheels for the next bike over other wheel sizes?

Hydraulic brakes are nice if you are constantly on the brakes, as for long distance traveling downhill or at high speed, but normal gravel/adventures, cable actuated disc brakes are plenty sufficient for modulation and braking power.

My current road bike is over 16 years old, yet still ride the same as the day I bought it.
If I am to do it over again, likely get a disc compatible 700c ti frame, just to avoid the rim braking heat that can melt the tires on mile long, fast downhills.

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:19 AM   #1920
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
http://www.killington.com/admin/site...ide_mansir.pdf

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote