ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:49 AM   #121
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Dont you need to push the forks up when you install clipons? Actually increasing the angle making it more prone to head-shake? I noticed that you said it started with a tire change but.. maybe to keep in mind that the clipons might contribute to the problem.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #122
kkim

wobble was there after the tire change and before the clipons... just got worse when the clipons were installed.

with the clipons installed, I've tried different amounts of fork sticking up above the clamps and the wobble is still there.

I'm waiting for a used radial replacement to arrive in the mail so I can replace the tire (suspect a defective tire) and see if the change gets rid of the wobble. If not, I'll start looking at bearings as my next step.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #123
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Just a thought but have you checked that your sprockets are proprely tourqued? Any mis-alignment issues going on there? If one of the spinning gyroscopes (wheels motor sprockets etc) is wobbleing then it stands to reason that the force would be transfered to all of them. Hope you get it sorted out. I was gona buy a set of clip-ons but now im a little gun shy. If the DYI master is having problems it makes me nervous. By the way I have no wobble issues any where at any time. Good luck Kelly and keep us posted
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:12 PM   #124
Broom
Track Junkie

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r Track Bike, DR350 commuter, KDX220 woods bike

fyi: i have the woodcraft clipons and have no wobble at all

Old June 20th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #125
kkim

Kevin,

don't let my experience shy you away from the clipons. They are a great mod and others that have installed them are not having the issues I am. Besides, as posted, I was having this problem after I changed the tire and before I installed the clipons. The installation of the clipons just made the wobbling seem worse, most likely due to the lighter bars they provide.

as for rear wheel/sprocket alignment, I already tried that in this thread...
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13833

thanks, though... have fun!

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #126
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Broom did you weight the ends? And another question if I may, do you run hotbodies plastic? Im turning my 250 into a track bike lol. Im planning on getting a set of clip-ons, rearsets, and new plastic. Anything else I missed? Im also curious about what brake pads you like. I know about the rear shock upgrade but Im gona wait on that a while. I might also swap the oil in the front forks but that will be later also. I ordered a set of michelin pilots but until I wear out the 501's Im gona rock those. Too bad no one here in the midwest runs E superstock.

Old June 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #127
kkim

if you do rearsets and are using the bike for the track, take off the kickstand and grind down the kickstand mounting tab.

Old June 20th, 2009, 09:01 PM   #128
almost40

Kickstands already in the box with the rest of the assorted parts. Anything else I can pull to save weight?? I am trying to make an exhaust holder so I can ditch the rear pegs. Id like to pull the dash but I still need a tach and would like to add a temp gauge any Ideas there Kelly?? Sorry for the hi-jack.

Old June 20th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #129
kkim

Kevin,

post up in the racing section asking how to save weight at the track. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

Old June 22nd, 2009, 05:43 AM   #130
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

happy to say i've never experienced this wobble on my 09
demp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #131
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

Mine wobbles, at the same 80k/h decel before and after clip-ons and rear wheel alignment. I'm at a loss to what it might be although I'm not too concerned about a sub 200 k/h bike and 50 mph wobble that only happens when "look ma...." still sucks though.
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #132
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Mine is starting to wobble. 6600 miles. No adjustments. I should adjust the chain but I was kind of curious about the wobble so I haven't yet. My tire has about had it. Maybe that has something to do with it?
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #133
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Mine is starting to wobble. 6600 miles. No adjustments. I should adjust the chain but I was kind of curious about the wobble so I haven't yet. My tire has about had it. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Probably because you use every bit of your tire and not just the chicken stripe. I wish I could say the same about my tires. Keep leaning CB !!!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2009, 12:40 PM   #134
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I do have a massive flat spot in the middle. That's why I need new ones.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 08:43 AM   #135
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

Found more info

Hey KKIM. I was browsing bridgestone's website and found that PDF with tire information..and I think this relates to your problem

http://mc.bridgestone.co.jp/en/produ...e/on_bias.html

Shimmy:
Left and right vibration of the steering assembly while driving in a straight line.

Low speed shimmy
Occurs when coastin down from around 80 km/h, peaks around 45-50 km/h. (vibration frequency: 3-5 hz).

High-speed shimmy
Occurs at around 110-120 km/h, the magnitude is small (vibration frequency: 10-15 hz)

Cause
A phase difference between the corning(cornering?) force and the self aligning torque. (That goes over my head but you can research into it, lol).

Tire related factors
Wear stage, inflaction pressure (high inflation pressure is better as it reduces the contact area), tread gauge, tread compound characteristic, casing stiffness, cord angle, etc.

IMO it looks like a tire related problem...

Old July 1st, 2009, 09:49 AM   #136
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

you mentioned the steering stem, is it at the proper torque? could the bearings be worn?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:44 AM   #137
SCREEM
ninjette.org member

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R, 08 connie 14, 08 honda ruckus(gave to mom)

I'm gonna mess with the tire pressure, i have the front @25 psi atm, I'll give 30/30 a go.....hope it's tire related
SCREEM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2009, 10:56 AM   #138
kkim

Remy- Thanks for the link info. I do think it's tire related and I finally got a spare tire last week, so I'm going to change out the front tire and see if the problem disappears.

Greg- I did try tapping on the steering stem collar nuts with a hammer and a drift punch to snug them up, but they wouldn't budge, so I'm assuming they are tight at this point.

I'll try changing the tire first and then work from there.

thanks, guys.

Old July 1st, 2009, 12:34 PM   #139
backinthesaddleagain

i would think to if it was the steering stem loose or its bearings you could support the bike under the frame with front wheel off the ground and feel some play if someone held the bike and you pushed, pulled down low on the fork sliders.

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #140
backinthesaddleagain

Kelly,
Did you ever figure out the problem? Mine seems to be shaking alot around 50mph with hands off the bars, mildly at 40 with hands off the bars. No mods here at all. Tire pressures 29F, 32R cold to the touch, very cold this week. Rear wheel aligned by the count the threads and measure the threads in mm (redundant I know). Steering stem at 32 ft lbs. Thinking rear tire as I now have 8,200 miles and center is looking a bit flat.

Old October 15th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #141
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I also had a slight wobble. I have a throttle lock and when engaged and hands off the bars, I would get the bars shaking at almost any speed. I recently adjusted my chain and the wobble went away. Btw, when I adjusted the chain I measured from the center of the axel to the center of where the swing arm pivots. Had to remove the exhaust to do it but it worked great.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:01 PM   #142
backinthesaddleagain

Thanks Bob, that was always my mx bike method. Easy to do as pipe is up high. Might have to try that next.

Glad you mentioned the throttle lock, that takes chopping the throttle out of the list of suspects.

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #143
kkim

never figured out the wobble source and the bike still does it. I will be changing tires in the next couple of weeks and we'll see if that cures the problem.

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM   #144
backinthesaddleagain

I think I will measure the center of the axle to the swingarm pivot, but out of laziness rather than pulling the exhaust maybe I will get one of those tailor tape measures and see if the 2 sides are unequal.

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #145
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
never figured out the wobble source and the bike still does it. I will be changing tires in the next couple of weeks and we'll see if that cures the problem.
I always knew the green ones were never straight

Old October 15th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #146
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I always knew the green ones were never straight
... and yet they are faster.

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #147
bob706

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
... and yet they are faster.
...cause they are a little light in the loafers.....

jk - gots luv fer allda two fiddys

Old October 15th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #148
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
jk - gots luv fer allda two fiddys
true... even if they aren't green.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:01 PM   #149
Ken
"Is that the Ninjer 1000?

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Quarter Liter Kawi

Feel the tire tread block edges to see if its cupping. If so then its probably causing your wobbles. Mine cupped and that's what caused it, because when new tires were installed the wobbles went away.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:03 PM   #150
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post
Feel the tire tread block edges to see if its cupping. If so then its probably causing your wobbles. Mine cupped and that's what caused it, because when new tires were installed the wobbles went away.
no cupping here.... front or rear. my tires look perfect. that's what is so puzzling about this.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #151
bob706

kelley, just paint the damn bike black and it will run like a champ. Sorry, can't help myself. Could it be a wheel out of balance or maybe a slight case a brake drag? Hope you are able to chase that ghost out of your bike soon.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:34 PM   #152
kkim

Sean,

Sorry.. painting the bike black so it's so slow that it doesn't wobble is not an option.

I'm hoping the tire change will cure the problem as I noticed this right after switching over to the new set. It's a livable situation as long as I keep my hands on the bars, though I can feel the front end wobble while midcorner if I'm off the throttle, leaned over and happen to be decelerating through the wobble zone (40-50mph). It does eat at my confidence a bit at those inopportune times.

Old October 15th, 2009, 06:42 PM   #153
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

I didn't read everyone's posts but if this is a repost ignore it:

Have you balanced your wheels after your last change? If so then the forks are twisted or binding.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 17th, 2009, 07:43 AM   #154
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
I didn't read everyone's posts but if this is a repost ignore it:

Have you balanced your wheels after your last change? If so then the forks are twisted or binding.
Next time you should read through the thread, at least for posts by the OP - this is Kelly we're talking about - of COURSE he balanced his wheels

Old October 17th, 2009, 02:31 PM   #155
backinthesaddleagain

I have a pretty good oscillation from about 55mph down to 45 mph when taking my hands off the bars. Above 55 no problem, below 40 no problem. As posted earlier bike is all stock with 8K for miles with original tires. Front tire looks great. Back is starting to flatten across the middle front pressure is 28 cold and rear is 32, according to 2 guages. Might bump them up a couple psi each. Per the chain adjuster guides (I know questionable) both sides are about 2 1/2 notches from the front. Each adjuster has 6 threads showing behind the locking nut. With stock exhaust it is hard to get a measure from the axle to the swingarm pivot.

I tried one other thing. I removed the chain guard. I measured the clearance from the front of the rim to the swingarm. The left side had about a 1/2 inch more clearance than the right. To me the swingarm looks symmetrical. Has anyone noticed less clearance on the right?

Old October 20th, 2009, 11:30 AM   #156
backinthesaddleagain

Stopped by dealership at lunch and saw a couple mechanic friends. They checked steering head for play and couldn't find any slop. They checked the rear wheel alignment and found it to be off .6mm. Didn't think that was enough to cause problem but I will adjust it tonight. Double checked air pressure. Bike has 8,500 miles. Front shows now sign of cupping, just normal wear. Rear is in need of replacement soon, but wear is not abnormal. Their concensus is that bike shouldn't have any shake and they recommend rebalancing front wheel (and of course replacing rear tire). Couldn't find any balance weight - I am not sure if there was one and it fell off??

Old November 23rd, 2009, 02:57 PM   #157
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I take my hands off the bars extremely often at all speeds and never saw this until last night (10,400 miles). It started a violent shake that looked like it would have progressed to a full-on tank-slapper had I not grabbed 'em when I did. I was probably under 30MPH decelerating to a stop light that I frequently decelerate at the same exact way. Everything is stock on my bike.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 4th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #158
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

I've got a case of the hands-off shimmies, too!

It just started in the last few weeks.

Wheels are aligned fine, tire pressure at spec.

It doesn't seem to matter what speed I am going, but it always when decelerating, whether it be 90mph or 20mph.
(I can't say I have the same problem when accellerating with both of my hands off the bars as I haven't found a good way to do this yet, lol.)

I'm 250lbs and it seems to be worse when I stand up on the footpegs with no hands, or sit up on the tank (showing off.)

My back tire is showing cords, the front one is starting to entirely lose its tread. So I'm not going to worry about the shimmies or fixing them until the tires are replaced this week.

Last futzed with by TheDuck; January 5th, 2010 at 08:45 AM.
TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 12:50 AM   #159
fjyang
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): 87 Ninja 250, 90 Ninja ZX750R, GPZ 900r, 02 Moto Guzzi LeMans, 95 Triumph Speed Triple

I second Brooms comments.

By dropping your fork lower you might not have level the fork at its natural state or level so creating binding in the process.

I installed a fork brace on my bike and at first I just clamp on the brace with the bike on its side stand and go riding, I notice the bike starts to wobble around 80mph and at fast corners the front end just feel twitchy at certain lean angels.

Got home, take off the fork brace, put bike on center stand and push the forks up and down cycling through its travel couple times and let it settle, then clamp on the fork brace back on.....presto!!! problem solved

Check that you drop your fork equally on both legs as that is my suspect to your problem.
fjyang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2010, 01:48 AM   #160
kkeefedout
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Nasty Ninja 250

mine does the same thing. i learned to live with it.
kkeefedout is offline   Reply With Quote