ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:29 PM   #81
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Ok! Thanks for confirming.

Although, re-reading the manual the service limit is 0.0031 so I guess the green would work as a go no go if the X isn't available?
looks like I could order it online

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastigauge-...-/361415404447

having a hard time finding the smaller ones like this anywhere online in the states.
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:30 PM   #82
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
looks like I could order it online

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Plastigauge-...-/361415404447

having a hard time finding the smaller ones like this anywhere online in the states.
Hang on a sec....let @bruce71198 confirm my theory about go no-go using the commonly available green stuff before you order. Might just be the ticket!!

The only bad thing I can think of is that if the Platigage is too thick, there may be a risk of marring a soft bearing face. I'm not a 100% expert on this so a second or third opinion would be good. @Motofool

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2016, 12:46 PM   #83
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

having trouble trying to find the correct flywheel puller, will this one work for newgen?

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08...ct_top?ie=UTF8

according to this thread it should work

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=176911

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:10 PM   #84
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

Quote:
Hang on a sec....let @bruce71198 confirm my theory about go no-go using the commonly available green stuff before you order. Might just be the ticket!!

The only bad thing I can think of is that if the Platigage is too thick, there may be a risk of marring a soft bearing face. I'm not a 100% expert on this so a second or third opinion would be good. @Motofool
Plastigage comes in red, blue and green depending on the clearance measured.
Local auto parts store has it or can get it.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:12 PM   #85
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce71198 View Post
Plastigage comes in red, blue and green depending on the clearance measured.
Local auto parts store has it or can get it.
What about the too thick leave a mark on the bearing part? Is that fact or myth? I've never experienced it myself.

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:14 PM   #86
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

https://youtu.be/q3pHb-qXZc8

Old August 16th, 2016, 01:17 PM   #87
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 16th, 2016, 02:00 PM   #88
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
so would the green work? or would I be better off getting the correct ones?

Old August 16th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #89
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Getting the block back on the Pistons is easy. There is a chamfer at the bottom of the block. It is a process or twisting and rocking as you tuck the rings into the block.
One thing I did not think about is the c clips that hold the wrist pins. They should not be reused.

Can you run forged Pistons ? It's another 300 bucks but 12.5 to one Pistons are nice.
so question about the forged pistons, I get their are stronger and therefor produce better compression, what difference in terms of HP would it give? and would I need to get the head worked on to accommodate these?

Old August 16th, 2016, 03:29 PM   #90
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I don't ever think I have ever used the red stuff nor so I recall the clearances it measures. I have always used the green ones without issue.

No experiences with too thick of plastigage since I use one that measures the range of clearance needed.

Old August 16th, 2016, 04:29 PM   #91
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
so question about the forged pistons, I get their are stronger and therefor produce better compression, what difference in terms of HP would it give? and would I need to get the head worked on to accommodate these?
I only use JE forged Pistons. I use the 12.5 to one Pistons and the are a simple drop in part.

As for power you get a tiny bit of top end power. But you get a wide power band increase. Like the engine hits 30 hp at 7000 rpm instead of 8500 and is still making power out at 12500 before dropping off.

Of corse ignition carb work full exhaust is also kinda going along with it. They are actually heavy compaired to stock a couple grams but I found on the last engine this was good.

I love them but it is a couple hundred dollars and if you race check the class rules

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 16th, 2016, 07:09 PM   #92
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I only use JE forged Pistons. I use the 12.5 to one Pistons and the are a simple drop in part.

As for power you get a tiny bit of top end power. But you get a wide power band increase. Like the engine hits 30 hp at 7000 rpm instead of 8500 and is still making power out at 12500 before dropping off.

Of corse ignition carb work full exhaust is also kinda going along with it. They are actually heavy compaired to stock a couple grams but I found on the last engine this was good.

I love them but it is a couple hundred dollars and if you race check the class rules
I have a full M4 system, K&N filter and a Factory Pro stage 3 jetkit installed already.

Old August 16th, 2016, 07:58 PM   #93
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Pistons and an ignition upgrade and you will be at or about 34 hp with a smooth power band.
Then it's all about head and cam work. I'm still experimenting with that stuff.

Old August 16th, 2016, 08:03 PM   #94
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Pistons and an ignition upgrade and you will be at or about 34 hp with a smooth power band.
Then it's all about head and cam work. I'm still experimenting with that stuff.
I think for now I am going to stick with just fixing this issue. I am hoping I can pull it off. From what you guys have all said I think I can. I have a new head gasket, oil pump gasket and cover gaskets coming. I think if I get lucky with the same blue paint on the bearings on both cases, it sounds like I can pull this off by just taking my time and checking clearances on everything. And Hoepfully I can get another season or 2 of track days out of it. And new snap rings for the pistons coming.

I am also wanting to pull the Positive Neutral Finder bearings out too. I hate that damn thing.

Old August 17th, 2016, 06:06 AM   #95
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I am also wanting to pull the Positive Neutral Finder bearings out too. I hate that damn thing.
You will hate it more without it, as in NEVER finding neutral. You will need to disassemble the counter shaft to remove it, it's not what you think it is.

Old August 17th, 2016, 06:07 AM   #96
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
You will hate it more without it, as in NEVER finding neutral. You will need to disassemble the counter shaft to remove it, it's not what you think it is.
Maybe I will just leave it alone then

Old August 17th, 2016, 08:52 AM   #97
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

So can I use the free plastigage from the parts store or do I need to order that other one with the smaller tolerances ?

so it looks like I can use the green plastigage I will get some.

From reading the FSM and this thread, the main thing is I should transfer all of my bearings from the old case to the new one. And since they are sized to the crank, there should be no issues since the old engine was running just fine even after I crashed the motor ran I just couldnt get a gear to engage.

Once I get the cases I will take pics and post here to verify the color hopefully blue. And then will basically proceed to take all of the components out of the old case and transplant into the new one. Using the plastigage to double check the clearance even when reusing my old bearings. Clean all mating surfaces, replace gaskets, use thin layer of HondaBond HT which I have coming tomorrow.

Also I will follow the FSM to align the crank and cams based on the marks they put on the gears to align them correctly. Before I take everything apart should I put the crank at TDC? or does it not matter since I am taking it out.

Am I on the right path here?

just as a point of clarification, the bearing inserts are split in half, I have seen conflicting info on wether I can just swap them from the old case or they are somehow like pressed into each case half? Can someone shed some light on this for me.

Last futzed with by daverdfw; August 17th, 2016 at 02:50 PM.

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:05 AM   #98
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

So I have the flywheel off, the cam shafts and timing chain. About to take off the head. Just taking my time , reading the FSM many times and slow and steady.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 18th, 2016, 11:12 AM   #99
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
So can I use the free plastigage from the parts store or do I need to order that other one with the smaller tolerances ?

From reading the FSM and this thread, the main thing is I should transfer all of my bearings from the old case to the new one. And since they are sized to the crank, there should be no issues since the old engine was running just fine even after I crashed the motor ran I just couldnt get a gear to engage.

Once I get the cases I will take pics and post here to verify the color hopefully blue. And then will basically proceed to take all of the components out of the old case and transplant into the new one. Using the plastigage to double check the clearance even when reusing my old bearings. Clean all mating surfaces, replace gaskets, use thin layer of HondaBond HT which I have coming tomorrow.

Also I will follow the FSM to align the crank and cams based on the marks they put on the gears to align them correctly. Before I take everything apart should I put the crank at TDC? or does it not matter since I am taking it out.

just as a point of clarification, the bearing inserts are split in half, I have seen conflicting info on wether I can just swap them from the old case or they are somehow like pressed into each case half? Can someone shed some light on this for me.
There are blue bearings and brown ones. These will be marked on the cases by a blue or brown paint spot. Provided both cases have the same colors, the bearings should be good to go. Color codes are on a flange on a case half.

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #100
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

here is where I am right now. how do I get the snap rings out of the piston? they dont have the holes like normal snap rings.

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM   #101
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
A small pick or flat blade screwdriver. Get one end out and then work your way around the ring.

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #102
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:

Keep the old crankshaft bearings and the countershaft bearing with you crankshaft. Don't mix them up. And remove the bearings from the new case and set them aside.

Regardless of paint color reasssemble the bottom end with the old bearings and use plastiguage to check clearance from there. The bearings and crank have worn in together. IF the colors match its just that much better. But regardless you will need to check clearance.

Old August 18th, 2016, 11:58 AM   #103
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Keep the old crankshaft bearings and the countershaft bearing with you crankshaft. Don't mix them up. And remove the bearings from the new case and set them aside.

Regardless of paint color reasssemble the bottom end with the old bearings and use plastiguage to check clearance from there. The bearings and crank have worn in together. IF the colors match its just that much better. But regardless you will need to check clearance.
ok I have the pistons off. just working on the case bolts. I will have it apart shortly and will take pics of what I find. Thanks so much guys.

Also I can use the green plastigage from the local parts store for this?

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:04 PM   #104
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I think so. I never looked at the pipes. Did you use a puller to remove the flywheel?

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:06 PM   #105
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I think so. I never looked at the pipes. Did you use a puller to remove the flywheel?
yup I got a motion pro tool. used an impact and bused it loose.

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:27 PM   #106
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

ok so it looks like I have the brown (white) looking paint marks. Transmission looks fine, I see no metal pieces or anything funny going on.

Old August 18th, 2016, 12:41 PM   #107
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

so upon closer examination. on the top or 12 oclock position on the bearings,

the crank has yellow paint

the counterbalance has blue on theirs

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:20 PM   #108
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Interesting. Don't mix any of the shells up and just transfer it all to the new case when you get. Then measure the clearance.

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:41 PM   #109
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Interesting. Don't mix any of the shells up and just transfer it all to the new case when you get. Then measure the clearance.
So I just take like a small flat head and kinda pry the bearing out on that one side that has the tab ?

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:44 PM   #110
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
So I just take like a small flat head and kinda pry the bearing out on that one side that has the tab ?
No.

Push down on the opposite side edge. It will roll/slide out of the case. Do not use any kind of tool to push them out because if that tool slips, you've just ruined a bearing half. Since you are planning on re-using them, I wouldn't use a tool.

Should come out pretty easily with good thumb pressure. Hard for me to explain, lemme see if I can find a picture or video.

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:51 PM   #111
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
No.

Push down on the opposite side edge. It will roll/slide out of the case. Do not use any kind of tool to push them out because if that tool slips, you've just ruined a bearing half.

Should come out pretty easily with good thumb pressure. Hard for me to explain, lemme see if I can find a picture or video.
That makes sense. Now I gotta track down some green plastigage

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:52 PM   #112
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
That makes sense. Now I gotta track down some green plastigage
Napa, O'Reilly's or even AutoZone should have it.

Old August 18th, 2016, 03:56 PM   #113
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Napa, O'Reilly's or even AutoZone should have it.
Yeah no go at autozone. I'll find some

Old August 18th, 2016, 07:39 PM   #114
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Yeah no go at autozone. I'll find some
Yep autozones don't seem to carry it at all or at least the Texas location. O'Reilly for sure will.

Old August 18th, 2016, 07:51 PM   #115
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
Yep autozones don't seem to carry it at all or at least the Texas location. O'Reilly for sure will.
so I just use the green ones on all of the crank and countershaft bearings?

Old August 18th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #116
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
so I just use the green ones on all of the crank and countershaft bearings?
Yup

Old August 18th, 2016, 08:05 PM   #117
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Yup
ok! do you have to put every single case bolt back in? or just the ones near where the crank is?

Old August 18th, 2016, 08:24 PM   #118
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I did it both ways and from what I vaguely remember it did not make that much of difference but I went ahead and did it for peace of mind since I was rebuilding the whole shebang.

Old August 18th, 2016, 09:22 PM   #119
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I did it both ways and from what I vaguely remember it did not make that much of difference but I went ahead and did it for peace of mind since I was rebuilding the whole shebang.
I will just bolt it all back up.

I see you have ridesmart in your sig. you ever come up to cresson ??

Old August 18th, 2016, 09:34 PM   #120
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
I will just bolt it all back up.

I see you have ridesmart in your sig. you ever come up to cresson ??
Nope. I haven't been on a track in a few years now.