Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old October 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM   #1
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Bicycles for city riding?

I know we've got quite a few bicycle enthusiasts here, so let me explain my situation. If you don't feel like reading much, there's a short version with no explanation at the end.

I temporarily moved to Memphis, TN a few weeks (or is it months?) ago. All of my bikes are still in Alabama and there's no way to get them here without spending a ridiculous amount of money, not that I'd want to: the drivers in Memphis ALL seem to be clueless idiots and half the people have the seat bent so far back they can't see the road. No one seems to stop at intersections, it's extremely crowded and I don't drive.

I can't run anymore because I tore my meniscus in July in an off-roading accident. Most of the time I have to walk with a cane. If I try to run, or even jog, my knee will give out painfully after a few seconds and I fall. This means I have two options: walk or get a bicycle.

Of course, I could also bum rides from people, but who likes doing that?

I currently live in an area where everything is nearby, so I don't need, I don't want and I don't trust myself with a car. My experience with bicycles is limited to riding around with friends as a kid ramping our Huffy bicycles and going trail riding.

I've got money, but I don't want to spend it on a bike that isn't a good value (for instance, a $2000 racing bike). Certainly I could search around on the internet, but I'd rather ask people I know have experience in these matters on a forum that I know is active first.

Cliffs: I want a bicycle that is good for sidewalk riding, is speedy, doesn't make me feel like my legs are on fire after 2 miles, and maybe somewhere around $200. Yeah, I'm cheap.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 03:48 AM   #2
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 93 kawi gpz500

justin, i would just suggest hitting up walmart and checking out some mountain bikes.

hell had both of my trucks not broken down i would have been glad to help you get your bike(s) up there to ya!

usually if you get into a mid-range gear on a mountain bike you shouldn't have to put in much effort. although i can't see you being able to pedal for long if 2-3 seconds of running makes you hit the ground.

how about investing in a go-ped? that would be something to think about
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #3
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...explorer1.html

I just sold my used one for $150. New they run around $350. This bike is called the Cadallac of bikes b/c it's known for comfort. It's an easy, smooth ride, but being a hybrid, it can take a little beating if you ever go off road too.
Check craigslist and see if you can find a used one.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 05:41 AM   #4
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Bikesdirect.com (cheapest is around $250-300)

Also if there is an Academy near by you can find a cheapo Schwinn road bike for right around $200. May have an equivalent at Dick's or Sports Authority. Cheap mountain bikes (MTB) have some suspension, but I am not sure how good they are. Not to mention you have to work a lot harder on a mountain bike than a road bike on cement. I'd suggest going with the road bike route.

Anything with a 700c tire will be much easier to pedal and maintain speed than a mountain bike tire. Then again, MTB's are more comfortable over bumps due to the added tire and the front suspension that many have.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaland View Post
justin, i would just suggest hitting up walmart and checking out some mountain bikes.
A mountain bike certainly occurred to me, a road bike would require a lot less work. I was initially asking about a good road bike brand, but I suppose I wasn't specific enough. Let me know if I'm mistaken about mountain bikes though, like I said, I'm clueless with them, just know how to ride them well.

Quote:
i can't see you being able to pedal for long if 2-3 seconds of running makes you hit the ground.
That happens because my knee gives out, not because I'm out of shape. My knee wouldn't need to twist like that if I'm pedalling.
I'll try to explain what happens. Say you're changing direction, you need to twist your leg to do this. If I'm running, I land a lot harder than when I'm walking. The added force is too much for my knee, so I fall. I can't prevent it, I can't see it coming. My knee bends sideways, I collapse and can't walk due to pain rivalling a Charley horse for a few minutes.

Quote:
how about investing in a go-ped? that would be something to think about
It certainly would be fun, but I'm losing muscle weight. I haven't been able to work out in months due to the knee and an unrelated wrist injury and another unrelated ankle injury. I need something for cardio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebik...explorer1.html

This bike is called the Cadallac of bikes b/c it's known for comfort. It's an easy, smooth ride, but being a hybrid, it can take a little beating if you ever go off road too.
This has definitely piqued my interest, it looks excellent. I especially like the suspension under the seat; this would make getting onto sidewalks from corners a lot easier. Hybrids don't sound like a bad way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Bikesdirect.com (cheapest is around $250-300)
Checking that out now, thanks a lot.

Quote:
Anything with a 700c tire will be much easier to pedal and maintain speed than a mountain bike tire.
I knew knobblies were less "speedy" than road tires, but for clarification on size, 700c is the same as C-700, right?

Quote:
Then again, MTB's are more comfortable over bumps due to the added tire and the front suspension that many have.
I miss this about my old bicycles, the suspension made them so easy and fun to bunnyhop extremely high.
Though, as I'll won't be doing any off-roading or stunting, the only bumps I'll regularly encounter are jumping onto sidewalks.

Quote:
Also if there is an Academy near by you can find a cheapo Schwinn road bike for right around $200.
I'm against cheap quality. If I have to, I'll pay more.

This will be my primary method of transportation until I move again (sometime between next week and 2012), so having one that's efficient is very important.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Input is still appreciated, as my decision isn't made up, though it certainly looks like I may have to spend more than I hoped.

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #6
bamaland
ninjette.org member

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): 93 kawi gpz500

well lets just say, i was born with bad knee's i myself can't run for more than 15-20 seconds without my knees feeling like they are about to snap.

i think back in 02-03 i bought me a mongoose MTB it was bright orange.. i loved that bike!
sadly it only lasted about a year due to excessive use and hard use at that..

i road trails, city streets levee's and even did some bmx dirt courses.

i ended up snapping the forks in half due to all the wheelies i did i guess lol.
boy did that crash hurt

but never the less it was a very comfy ride on all surfaces and conditions.
always kept it in 3rd gear seemed like the easiest softest pedaling gear.

very similar to this one:
bamaland is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #7
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
i think back in 02-03 i bought me a mongoose MTB it was bright orange.. i loved that bike!
sadly it only lasted about a year due to excessive use and hard use at that..

i road trails, city streets levee's and even did some bmx dirt courses.

i ended up snapping the forks in half due to all the wheelies i did i guess lol.
boy did that crash hurt

but never the less it was a very comfy ride on all surfaces and conditions.
always kept it in 3rd gear seemed like the easiest softest pedaling gear.

very similar to this one:
I also had one like that around that time. Mine was blue, though. Lasted 2 months, died when I bunnyhopped about 3 feet. The frame broke because the shock compressed too far or something, I guess. I didn't even weigh 100LB. The seat was on the tire when the frame broke. Rather than me landing on the seat, I landed on the exceptionally knobbly tire which was still rolling. My anus has yet to recover.

Last futzed with by Flow; October 12th, 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Old October 11th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Let me preface this by stating that I own a Bike Shop. I am in full agreement with most of what was posted. A Hybrid or Comfort Bike would be my recommendation. A Comfort Bike is a Hybrid with front suspension. Both have 700 wheels. You will not find one in Wal-Mart. Mart bikes are not Mountain Bikes. They are cheap, heavy, Chineese bikes with really low end components. For all practical purposes, they are a disposable bike. Few shops will work on them. (I do, but it is charity work. Our migrant Blueberry rakers use Mart bikes for transportation). The Schwinn you see at the Mart is not the same as the one you see in a bicycle shop. What I recommend is that you visit some bike shops and comparison shop. I recommend Cannondale, Marin, Breezer, Schwinn World, Specialized, Giant, Trek, and GT. These are your most popular Hybrid/Comfort bikes. Most bike shops give you a year's free tuning--a good thing, because your cables will stretch some in the first month requiring a readjustment of your shifters. Hope you find this helpful.

Old October 11th, 2010, 08:20 PM   #9
250rr

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

I'm biased...

...I have a road racing bike. I love it, and haven't, nor plan on, racing it. Mine's a Cervelo, but they are minimum $1000 used. However, I used to own a very early 80's Peugeot that can be had used easily for $200.00.

After a year to a year and a half of riding, you can cruise on these bikes @ 20 plus mph on the flats, so you can get a great work out in, AND get to where you're going relatively quickly (noticed I said, 'relatively')

Anywho, hope this helps.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:30 AM   #10
Sailariel

Mark, Portland, OR is a very bike friendly city--so is Portland ME, for that matter. My preference is also a Road Racer. I have two modern ones- An Eddy Merckx and a Fuji, and two vintage Univegas. I try to ride every day.

Old October 12th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #11
Flow
ninjette.org guru

I've said it before, but not on these boards -- if I grow old, Alex is the kind of old I'd like to be. Thanks for everyone pointing me in good directions. Right now my #1 possibility is a Marin Corte Madera. Does anyone have experience with this bike?

Looking at the specs (what little I understand of them) and a $350 price tag it doesn't seem too bad.

Old October 12th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #12
Sailariel

Flow, That's a very good bike. Get the right size, and you are in like Flynn. Marin has always made fine bikes that are underappreciated. They prefer to make good bikes to spending $$$ on advertising.

Old October 12th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #13
250rr

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Mark, Portland, OR is a very bike friendly city--so is Portland ME, for that matter. My preference is also a Road Racer. I have two modern ones- An Eddy Merckx and a Fuji, and two vintage Univegas. I try to ride every day.
Yes, Alex. I agree. Good job on the constant riding. I am 49. I have ridden 850 miles so far this year. Very much fun.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
A mountain bike certainly occurred to me, a road bike would require a lot less work. I was initially asking about a good road bike brand, but I suppose I wasn't specific enough. Let me know if I'm mistaken about mountain bikes though, like I said, I'm clueless with them, just know how to ride them well.
If your city looks anything like mine, (uneven, cracked, pot-holed sidewalks, with an 8" drop to the street at every intersection), the last thing you want for urban riding is a road bike. Get an entry level mountain bike (Specialized HardRock) and put slicks on it if you're that worried about the "extra effort" ( )

Old October 12th, 2010, 06:45 PM   #15
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
If your city looks anything like mine, (uneven, cracked, pot-holed sidewalks, with an 8" drop to the street at every intersection)
It isn't, I actually live in a "nicer" part of Memphis, not that that says much. Smooth sidewalks, just the occasional curb to hop onto.

Old October 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM   #16
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Check out used bianchi's and felt's 2001-2007ish. There's always great deals on them around NYC, dunno about elsewhere. Both manufacturers went big on entry level models a few years back so you get a lot of bang for the buck used at around $300-400.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #17
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Caution to online buyers of bicycles: Be wary about shipping your bicycles through UPS!
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #18
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Alex is on the money, im no shop owner but am a tech. Do yourself a favor and buy something from almost anywhere but walmart. I unfortunately see lots of those bikes and it sucks having to tell people they can buy a brand new one (crappy one) for less then it will cost to fix the p.o.s.
Don't worry a ton about brands except for the brands (quality) on the components. Didn't read the specs on that particular marin but we're a dealer and I think they make good bikes for the money. I could go on but just shop around, test ride what you can and find one you like and fits you well. It's a good time to buy, all our 2010's are on clearance.
Bikesdirect is a decent option but it's nice to be able to shop in person and expect to pay a shop to put it together.
Ok, sorry for the novel. Good luck.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #19
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Local thrift shop, might even find something cool.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2010, 04:26 PM   #20
Sailariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Yes, Alex. I agree. Good job on the constant riding. I am 49. I have ridden 850 miles so far this year. Very much fun.
For sure. It really cleared the cobwebs. Rode 6200 miles this year on all my bikes--I add up the totals on each. All the odometers get zeroed on Jan 1. Yesterday I had to stop for a bunch of turkeys wandering around in the roadway (the feathered variety) It was fun watching them trying to figure out what this thing in the garish costume was. It is hunting season, so all the animals and fowl are everywhere while our camo clad rambos roar around the woods on their ATVs. I wonder what the point of the camo is? Some things are beyond my limited understanding. The last time I wore camo was in Vietnam. I have not had a desire to have anything camo since.

Old October 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #21
bhalv
ninjette.org member

Name: brent

Motorcycle(s): 93 ninja 250

chiming in as the bike Mechanic. you definitely want to go with a bike-shop brand as 98% of the time when a wal-mart bike comes in, it costs more to fix it than it would be to replace it. remember that a used quality bike is still a much better buy than a new junker.
bhalv is offline   Reply With Quote