ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 24th, 2009, 07:11 AM   #121
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
The Cut:

Okay...so i got thinking today that i want to eliminate the rear fender (already did the basic cut like the very first post in the thread) I just don't like the way it sticks out with the plate light and everything on there. So......here are my thoughts....is it possible and do ya think it will work? If so I can do a DIY for it.

I want to take the fender (as pictured above) and use that as a mold for a fiberglass piece, I will drill holes in the side to incorporate 2 LED strips for blinkers. I would just paint the whole thing black. Might even be a possiblitly to do the black top piece out of fiberglass. Then I would just mount the plate with the "L" brackets like the others have done. So what do you think? Could it work?
Why dont you just cut it like i did? thats my fender on the picture there.
No need for fabricating it all over again in fiberglass?
you can drill holes for blinkers in this aswell

you dont need L-brackets btw, you can just drill two small new holes through the plate and fender, and bolt it into place.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #122
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Name: Levi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, CR125R

Thanks for the picture ...couldn't figure out how to quote just the one picture, sorry.

You make a good point....although there is no huge reason as to why i don't want to do it that way....I just want something different. Fiberglass is going to be much stronger, and i really don't have anything to cut my fender where i am at (college). My buddy has everything i need for fiberglassing and said I could use it... I just think it would look good and be a bit different....if it doesn't work out i will have the stock fender to throw back on. I mean for free it is worth a shot to see how it turns out....I will debate it a bit this week and let you guys know what i decide.
grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2009, 10:43 PM   #123
watcanido
ninjette.org member

Name: Jhaqui

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You can use a knife that is heated (put it on top of the stove and heat it up) which will cut the plastic very easily.
watcanido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #124
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

Quote:
Thanks for the picture ...couldn't figure out how to quote just the one picture, sorry.

You make a good point....although there is no huge reason as to why i don't want to do it that way....I just want something different. Fiberglass is going to be much stronger, and i really don't have anything to cut my fender where i am at (college). My buddy has everything i need for fiberglassing and said I could use it... I just think it would look good and be a bit different....if it doesn't work out i will have the stock fender to throw back on. I mean for free it is worth a shot to see how it turns out....I will debate it a bit this week and let you guys know what i decide.
I understand. When you sand it down and paint it in black, its going to look a little better than the cut stock ones for sure(if you do not sand and repaint the stock fender, as i didnt do).

When your making it in glassfiber you could probably get rid of those stock blinkers mountings, and just drill in some new led-ones
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM   #125
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

That is exactly my plan!! We are thinkers over here haha having trouble finding some. Know where i can get any super bright LED blinkers. I already have a plate light...

Old February 25th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #126
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
That is exactly my plan!! We are thinkers over here haha having trouble finding some. Know where i can get any super bright LED blinkers. I already have a plate light...
i don't know exactly what type you are looking for, but here are some. they even sell the kawasaki oem wiring connectors so you don't have to splice any wires.

http://www.moto911.com/index.php?cPa...218ff883d63fc3
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #127
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the post gary....I don't know exacty what I want either....And i can't find a good example to explain it. The best way i can explain it is a small strip of LED's...but one of those might work as well.

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #128
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Went and bought all the fiberglassing stuff tonight...Now i just need some LED blinkers and I am set to go. I will probably fiberglass it and paint it this weekend and have it installed for sure by next weekend. If everything works out the way I plan it too. There will be a full DIY as well. Stay tuned

Old February 25th, 2009, 07:42 PM   #129
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

I think these are the LED's im gonna order for my blinkers.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/m.../led-light.htm

Old March 5th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #130
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

For anyone who cares....I got quite a bit done tonight fiberglassing the rear fender (using the stock one as a mold) It turned out pretty good, but needs quite a bit of work. I have a quite a few pix for the DIY which I will complete when the project is done. I am waiting tell I am done with the actual fender to make sure it turns out before I order my LED blinkers.. I will keep you updated.

Old March 11th, 2009, 01:32 AM   #131
watcanido
ninjette.org member

Name: Jhaqui

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
For anyone who cares....I got quite a bit done tonight fiberglassing the rear fender (using the stock one as a mold) It turned out pretty good, but needs quite a bit of work. I have a quite a few pix for the DIY which I will complete when the project is done. I am waiting tell I am done with the actual fender to make sure it turns out before I order my LED blinkers.. I will keep you updated.
Awesome dude. I can't wait to see the finish product. Just curious how do you make a mold and with what? I kind of want to make stuff for my 250r too.
watcanido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #132
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

It's pretty simple actually, you just use the stock fender as your mold....i am not 100% positive it will work yet, but if it doesn't I will be out like 20 bucks. I have to wait for 2 weeks to order blinkers, then I can finish up and do the DIY so stay tuned. Its not perfect, but for a first....i don't think its too bad.

Old March 11th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #133
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

There are alot of good DIY cut jobs on here but personally I like the streamlined look of the FE kits. I ordered the targa, but I originally wanted the compwerkes (shipping issues). Just something about the compwerkes kit that I think gives the bike a more aggressive look. If mine would ever get here, Ill put it on and post some pics.
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #134
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Here's mine...Cost about $4. I also shortened the length of the rear turn signals so they don't stick out as much.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FE.jpg (63.1 KB, 87 views)

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM   #135
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Cali, how did you 'shorten the length' of the turn signals?
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:22 PM   #136
kkim

I believe she cut the stalks down so they are not as long. take a good look at yours. in fact, take one of rear ones off and take it apart to see exactly how this can be done.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #137
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Would but the bike is 25 miles away, laying in pieces.
DmbShn41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #138
CaliGirl
Curiosity is a Killer

Name: CG

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

I took the signal and made four cuts with my dremel. One cut on each side to get rid of the middle portion of the light and two angled cuts (very carefully to not cut through the wires) to remove the excess portion. That left me with the shorter light stalk and the portion that is used to screw it into the tail. Then with a glue of your choice (mine was a plastic glue, but the name has slipped my mind) glue them together. Use some to hold them together overnight and your done. I hope this didn't sound too confusing.
Posted via Mobile Device
CaliGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 08:40 PM   #139
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Finished my chop and put some led signals and plate light bolts on there. Wanted to have a semi clean tail. Still need to do some adjustments to the plate but I really like the clean side view. Here are some pics....

Shift250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2009, 11:50 PM   #140
Jiu Jitsu Player
Live 2 Ride Forced 2 Work

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 RED 250r

Looks good, except for the small cut part under the brake light, but overall very clean. What kind of blinkers are those?

www.7milesdown.com
Jiu Jitsu Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 04:08 AM   #141
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift250R View Post
Finished my chop and put some led signals and plate light bolts on there. Wanted to have a semi clean tail. Still need to do some adjustments to the plate but I really like the clean side view. Here are some pics....

Wow, looks great... I'd like to do the same thing (minus the plate relocation) - where'd you get those blinkers?
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 06:16 AM   #142
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryne

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I think these are the LED's im gonna order for my blinkers.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/lights/m.../led-light.htm

I ordered those last week, they should be here today. I hope to have them on and my fender modded by this weekend. Ill be sure to write up a report when I'm done.

PS those triangular ones above my post look badass. I will probably keep my plate right under the tail light, but my signals will be in the same place.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:51 AM   #143
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

The signals I used are front flush signals for an R1. I just found them on ebay under "R1 flush led euro signals". If I flip my bracket around I can still mount it under the tail light. Just in case.

Old March 23rd, 2009, 05:26 PM   #144
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
The signals I used are front flush signals for an R1. I just found them on ebay under "R1 flush led euro signals". If I flip my bracket around I can still mount it under the tail light. Just in case.
Looks great!! good job
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2009, 09:57 PM   #145
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

^^^ How visible are those from behind?

The only thing stopping me from getting flush mounts on the front are the lack to options for the rear. This option looks great! Did you have to cut a hole in the tail to mount?
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #146
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
^^^ How visible are those from behind?

The only thing stopping me from getting flush mounts on the front are the lack to options for the rear. This option looks great! Did you have to cut a hole in the tail to mount?
They are very visible at night but on a really bright day they can be alittle hard to see. What I like is that you can also see them very well from the side. I did have to drill a hole in the tail though. I thinking about ordering another set for the front to match.

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:11 AM   #147
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
They are very visible at night but on a really bright day they can be alittle hard to see. What I like is that you can also see them very well from the side. I did have to drill a hole in the tail though. I thinking about ordering another set for the front to match.
Where you gonna do it up front?

This spot might fit the one you already have. When I saw Scorpielle's picture, I immediately thought this would be a great spot for a flushmount - where the reflection looks like a turnsig. Too bad I don't have the sack to start drilling into my baby

Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #148
grandmaster
ninjette.org member

Gosh guys....I need to finish up my project. I have been way to busy with school...and now i have a job so it's just getting worse. I need to order blinkers and drill come holes and i will be good to go.

Old April 4th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #149
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

Preview:

More:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...0446#post40446

Old April 4th, 2009, 10:04 PM   #150
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Those indicators look awesome, never seen them before! Great job on the indicators and the fender!

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM   #151
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

After over a year of owning the bike, finally did the full fender chop (previously, I just cut the bottom half)

I just used a short hacksaw. There was also some drilling of the L brackets and license plate & license plate bracket in order to get the bolts and license plate light to fit.

Also smoothed out the bottom with sandpaper and sprayed some black window tint I had from a hobby shop to help color the part I cut to blend in with the rest of the fender.

The light was a bit expensive, more than I wanted to spend, but they seemed the most practical. Comes with 2 in the pack but I only used one. I'll see how well it lights up at night and add the other if necessary. I kind of dont like the wire showing, but it's a pretty short wire and I'm too lazy to buy more wire to make it longer in order to make it easier to tape up and hide.

last pic, on the left side, just shows that I used the stock connector to help connect the light's wires

Last futzed with by paterick4o8; April 5th, 2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: pictures not showing
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM   #152
kkim

to keep the signals from drooping, you need to use some sort of "washer" between the signal grommet and the frame. I used a couple of small tie wraps to act as washers in there to get the signals to stick straight out.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #153
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Whole bunch of red X's in the past 2 posts; you can't link directly to an image attachment on another vbulletin forum. While it may look like it works for you, that's only because you are currently logged in at that other site as well. Everybody else sees the dreaded red x...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #154
Rynownd
ninjette.org guru

I can see all the pictures posted by paterick and copied by kkim.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:15 PM   #155
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

It will work fine if you are still logged into kawiforums. If you're not a kawiforums member, or haven't logged in recently, it won't work.

To demonstrate this, go to kawiforums and hit log out. Then go to your browser options and delete all cache files. Quit your browser. Re-open your browser and come back to this thread, and you'll see the red X's.

You can't assume that everyone coming to this site is already logged into KF as well, though certainly a decent portion tend to be.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:17 PM   #156
kkim

tech question, Alex... why is it that it won't work? I better go check some of my DIYs, if that's the case.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #157
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Why would people assume that it would work? Most forums only allow people to view attachments if you are logged into the forum, to keep from bandwidth leeching.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #158
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Why would people assume that it would work?
... because to most people who are not technogeeks, it's all transparent.

Old April 5th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #159
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I guess it's a good thing there are enough technogeeks around to continue to work on the illusion of transparency.

Old April 5th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #160
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
It will work fine if you are still logged into kawiforums. If you're not a kawiforums member, or haven't logged in recently, it won't work.
Still dont work for me, Iam logged in here & kawiforums

Yeah, Iam at home and not work
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote