ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 27th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #1
Nooblishly
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Cory

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2013 Ninja 650L

Time to Tinker

Hey guys and gals,

I am currently embarking on what is hopefully an anger free and simplistic task of turning my 2009 Ninja 250R into a cafe racer.

I need to know things such as what types of front forks (preferably not upside down forks) are easily transplanted into the 09', do pre '08 models fit, do the ZX2R fit. what can i chop and remove without creating undue risk to myself.

tips on body work and just tips in general of anyone who has embarked on this previously.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Robbo
Nooblishly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 05:39 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
why transplant the forks at all? Stockers would be perfectly suited for café racer. They are already pretty short, they fit in the stock triple and the rake and trail specs of the bike are probably in a decent range for a café racer.

Worry about the forks last if at all. After removing fairings it's the tank, tail section and wheels that will make or break the look. You can probably get away with the stock tank, so focus on the seat pan, front fender and wheels then just snag some clip-ons and a mono head light kit

remove everything you can and hide the rest. Airbox, gone, kleen air system gone, stock mud guard gone, coolant reservoir needs relocated and hidden, hack the back section of the frame off, Maybe look into a small LiPo battery that could be relocated and hidden in tail, lose passenger pegs, get exhaust hanger, hack off extra frame tabs that are no longer used ect... Not much else to it.

In the end it's your project, your vision, make it what you want. There is no right or wrong, tons of café racer pictures out there for some inspiration

a quick search yielded this one. Pretty cool looking IMO and they kept it very simple. Would look better IMO if they lost the coolant tank and some other odds and ends but they kept the stock wheels and it looks decent, has a sweet looking tank though...but that rear brake line though...

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
If your looking for a complete kit, try

http://bluecollarbobbers.com/m/caferacer.html

From the website

Quote:
Here's the Process:
You will remove all the plastic panels, stock seat, lighting, instrument panel and gas tank.

You will cut the rear passenger seat portion off the bike. We even give you a saw and bolt on cutting fixtures to guarantee accurate cuts.

In the detail pictures below you will see the new 'seat bracket'. It slides into your cut tubes and epoxy (also included) into place. 24 hours later you will drill 2 holes (we include the drill bit) that will also bolt the new seat brackets into position. The entire process goes fast and it is super strong.

Now you are ready to begin bolting everything into place.

All the new brackets and covers are powder coated a beautiful gloss black. The instruments will be removed from the ugly stock cluster and installed into your new CNC machined housing.

We include an awesome 7 1/2" diameter Tri-bar halogen monster headlight and high quality black nickel signal lights. They can be connected with either running and flashers or just flashers (depending on the laws in your country). The tail light and license plate light are very bright LED's.

We include all the connectors, shrink tubing and even a crimping tool. Electrical stuff scares people. Our dvd will make it easy and fun!

Our Cafe rear fender (we call it the butt), front fender and deco side strips are all made from thick aluminum. They are powder coated with a grey primer and ready to paint. We even include a 120/80-16 front tire for your Cafe Racer.

The stock front tire is too small and doesn't give a vintage look. Our seats have always been known to be the best in the business. Your new 100% thick leather seat is a masterpiece. Your bottom deserves the best platform!

Our pan is made from 12 gauge steel and the 2" of foam under the plush leather is the perfect place to park your precious behind!

We also include a new cable to use with your stock speedometer. This way the bike's true mileage is retained. You won't need a lift to work on your new Cafe Racer. The cool dual kick stand that comes on the Ninja makes working on it easy and fun.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2015, 11:54 AM   #4
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
I thought the BCB kit was only for pregens.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote