Old January 22nd, 2018, 09:01 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Interesting perspective on corner speed, pivot points, and throttle

TTD instructor and very fast guy Paul Duval wrote a piece for Riding in the Zone. Interesting point of view on how to visualize the corner.

http://www.ridinginthezone.com/guest...g-cornerspeed/

Discuss.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:17 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Pretty cool graphs! Makes sense if you consider total time between entrance and exit of corners. The slowest speeds and amount of time at slow-speeds would hurt most.

Kinda like bicycle time-trials or triathlons, going up a hill at slower speeds hurts way more than any amount of extra speed and time-savings you can get going downhill on other side.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 23rd, 2018, 06:01 PM   #3
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

Great article!
I def need to focus on this. I like how the author differentiates between the pivot point and the apex and that they are distinct and often different. I sorta missed that point liatening to the ken hill podcasts.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 29th, 2018, 10:57 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I definitely need to get some datalogging to draw nice graphs!!!

Working with what I have now, I reviewed videos from this last season and I realized that my pivot-point, slowest part of corner, is turn-in after braking. I lost A LOT of ground to other riders, even the big-bikes. I make up that lost ground between turn-in and apex by getting on gas and passing them on exit of corner. But I could easily be 20-30ft ahead if I maintain more speed between turn-in and apex. Gonna work on that next.

Thanks for great article!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2018, 03:37 AM   #5
Mohawk
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): ZZR250, VFR800

I find knowing the “Vanishing point” theory really helps when riding or driving fast, be it on road or track.

The basic theory goes like this & is based on the expectation that your vehicle of choice is in good mechanical condition with good tyres & that the weather conditions are warm & dry with NO expectation of road debris. It also requires a competent rider/driver who knows their vehicle !!!! Don’t try to hard until you get used to it, it can be scary at first & requires a lot of trust.

So look down any piece of tarmac & you will have a left & a right curb or verge. Now when approaching a corner say a left hand one, the right verge will cross in front of you in the distance & merge with the left verge, where you usually lose sight of it. This is the vanishing point. Now if the vanishing point stays static or more likely starts getting closer then at your current speed you will NOT make the turn, so you need to brake as you approach it.

At some point whilst scrubbing off speed, the vanishing point will start to move away from you, you can stop braking, maintain your current speed & chase the vanishing point. If it starts coming towards you again, then it’s likely a multi apex corner, if it starts moving away, then it’s an opening corner, so you can go faster.

It sounds really simple & once you get the hang of it it’s is, but remember to learn how to walk first & use all other road craft to your benefit. Also remember that on normal roads you only have a right to your side of the road, so the white/yellow line in the centre may be one of the verges !

YMMV

Have fun.
Mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote