ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:14 PM   #1
ImminentWaffle
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zack

Motorcycle(s): 2007

starts, idles, dies

Recently bought a 2007 ninja. Rode alright for a few weeks, startup was a little rough, until I stalled out a mile from my house. Brought it home and decided to clean the carbs to see if it got better (I'm now unsure if it was actually just out of gas at the time, but no way to check now.) Pulled out the carbs, cleaned them up (right carb was gunked, left was almost totally clear) messed around with the idle screws, and put them back in. Bike started up alright, so I went to the gas station and filled it up.

Two days later, tried to start it in the morning and it refused to idle. It would start, idle for a bit, then would either sputter and die on its own, or I would try the throttle, it would go to ~500RPM and die. After a couple times it refused to start at all. I pulled off the valve cover and found the right side exhaust valves were very tight. Adjusted all the valves, put it back together, same problem. Starts at full choke, idles for a minute, as soon as I touch the choke or throttle (blipping revs the engine then it bogs) it sputters and dies, then will not start for a long while.

I don't really know what to do now. It seems like it's running rich possibly? Should I pull the carbs again, and mess with the idle screws? I was 80% sure I put them back to where they were, but there's a chance they are tighter than they were. It's fitted with a muzzy full exhaust, so they were turned out farther. Or should I check the air filter, or something else entirely?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
ImminentWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImminentWaffle View Post
Recently bought a 2007 ninja..........Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Welcome, Zack !!!

I would also verify that the bottom of the tank does not contain water that may be flowing down into the bowls.
You can check that by draining the bowls and the tank (only some of the fuel), with the cockpit in reserve, into a glass container.

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Draining_the_carbs

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...e_fuel_tank%3F

If while draining the tank, you notice that the flow is less than 2 c.c. per second, then the mesh filter inside the tank is partially clogged and should be blown backwards.
For that, you will need to apply vacuum to the small port of the petcock.

If the flow is good, next I would check that the vacuum tubes of the carbs and petcock has no leak, so there is a strong vacuum signal reaching the petcock.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 09:42 PM   #3
ImminentWaffle
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Zack

Motorcycle(s): 2007

Hi Hernan, Thank you for the reply!

So I'm pretty sure that I accidentally pulled off the brass(?) nib that the vacuum tube attaches to on the petcock; It popped right out while disconnecting the tubes D:

I can push it back in and it seems to seat alright, is this a new petcock kind of problem? Will this cause a problem?
ImminentWaffle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2016, 10:03 PM   #4
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:

So I'm pretty sure that I accidentally pulled off the brass(?) nib that the vacuum tube attaches to on the petcock; It popped right out while disconnecting the tubes D:

I can push it back in and it seems to seat alright, is this a new petcock kind of problem? Will this cause a problem?
The brass nib and vacuum line go to a carb....this lets fuel flow from the tank to the carbs.

Without this, you'll run out of gas. Which explains your symptoms. I'd replace the petcock if that tube is that loose.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 11th, 2016, 11:53 AM   #5
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

It sounds like a fuel starvation/ lean problem, try to get is started by plugging the vacuum line and filling the carbs with a reserve tank. (just but a barb fitting in a jar, attach the barb to the fuel line, fill the jar with gas, keep the lid off of the jar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 11th, 2016, 09:45 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:

You are welcome

If there is still a leak of vacuum at that nib, the petcock may not open the valve for the fuel to flow.

In order to verify that, you could suck from a tube connected to that nib.

You could try resealing that nib using Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant, which is fuel-resistant.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote