ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:35 PM   #1
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Name: Annalaura

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

2006 Ninja 250 mods

Technically I started these mods a few weeks ago but never got around to posting them to see what people thought of my semi-talent. I got my bike last October, and finally decided to make it look better than when I got it. The previous owner made some not so good looking mods himself so I am trying to fix it, not to mention make it look like something I would ride. I laid him down last Thanksgiving break, in the grass, thank god; but tore up my lower fairing on a decorative rock, who buys those? And I have been put through some massive headaches trying to fix the more serious problems caused by the previous owner. So here's some before pictures:

emphasis BEFORE pics:

along with my very first mod done last fall: green underglow

let me know what you think and I will post a some teaser photos in a few minutes to show what's coming next...

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #2
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Umm.. YUCK?

Now I want to see the "after" pictures. Honestly I doubt you could've made it worse if you tried.

What the **** are those mirrors?

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #3
iplante
I ride like a granny

Also I hope you fixed that seat. It looks saggy and the green doesn't fit with the body color.

Which by the way the paint color is kinda nice..

Edited to add: Aren't frame sliders supposed to be a bad idea on the pregen?

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #4
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

holy crap, why did you spend money on that?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #5
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Here are a few teaser pics...

Step one, remove the fairings (that front one is a pain so it will have to wait):

Step two, I attempted to fix all the cracks with bondo, as well as fill in the extra holes the previous owner gave me and the big gaudy front turn signal holes:

Step three, prime the tank and fairings for new paint:

Step four, all new fresh paint job (pain in the butt):

That's all for now, gonna have to get some sleep now and I'll post more tomorrow or the next day. Lemme get some opinions until then.

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #6
iplante
I ride like a granny

Also, please shorten the swing arm and put the license plate back where it belongs!

What kind of cans are those?

Holy **** my dog just farted. If I don't come back I've died of asphyxiation..

Old April 9th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
Umm.. YUCK?

Now I want to see the "after" pictures. Honestly I doubt you could've made it worse if you tried.

What the **** are those mirrors?
yes, thank you, the mirrors were the first to go, the one on the right wouldn't even hold a position so I couldn't see cr*p.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante
Also I hope you fixed that seat. It looks saggy and the green doesn't fit with the body color.

Which by the way the paint color is kinda nice..

Edited to add: Aren't frame sliders supposed to be a bad idea on the pregen?
yes, that seat cover was just stapled over the original so I removed it and found two folded up t-shirts in between for comfort. LOL. The paint wasn't a bad color but was a lazy job and I decided on something more classic Kawi. I dunno about the frame sliders they were already on there, but they did save that old paint job when I tipped over my bike the day after I got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenA
holy crap, why did you spend money on that?
I got it for way under book value, and I didn't need anything too nice for my first bike because I knew I would probably bugger it up.

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #8
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
Also, please shorten the swing arm and put the license plate back where it belongs!

What kind of cans are those?

Holy **** my dog just farted. If I don't come back I've died of asphyxiation..
I actually like it stretched, makes it almost one of a kind, plus adds stability, and it's lowered as well, which is great for my short legs. Plus, I don't want to spend that kind of money on my pregen, I don't make enough for that. Well, I believe they are stock, but I guess I don't really know, that's what was on it, and yes, it's very loud. I have thought about trying to find a 2-1 exhaust but haven't had the money to spend on one anyway.

Old April 9th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #9
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Alright, one more pic just for fun. My fuel tank cap had some scratches in it so I decided to repaint it too, but ended up with some interesting black paint because this is what happened when I put the clear coat on it:

But I actually like it with the Kawi green, adds some texture.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #10
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Well, not nearly as many responses as I was hoping to have by now, but I suppose everyone is on their ninjettes instead of online. But here are a couple pics after I got the fairings back on:

Of course, I'm not done yet, as you can see it's missing some mirrors, those weren't on yet.

Old April 10th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #11
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

I like everything except the rear turn signals, the seat and the mirrors love the color and the ext. swingarm! I wish mine was extended. Love the chrome accesories im not the only one anymore . I wonder what swingarm thats off of? My 250 is my first bike too. Can you make a vid of the cans?

Nice bike!
Posted via Mobile Device
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:39 PM   #12
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

very nice!!! im super jealous now! i like the green it looks good, still debating if im gonna re paint my bike or not.
motoKRAKEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 07:50 PM   #13
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
That poor ninjette in the first pics.

Glad to see you rescued it from it's previous owner. Nice work.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #14
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Nice paint job! Classic green too. You saved it that's for sure.

It's amazing the variety of styles and tastes out there. I like what you did with it, looks much better.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #15
UnshavenCanuck
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Looks good so far, get that fender done, it's not too hard to remove (you can sneak a wrench in there without removing the tire). Is that swing arm off something else or has it been welded? One of the pics makes it seem homemade, if so get it checked out to make sure it's tickety boo. Bar end mirrors and blockoffs seem too be your next step. Check eBay, I got decent ones shipped from china to Canada for 11.00 all in. They worked so nice I ordered a second set for backup. Keep up the good work.
UnshavenCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #16
iplante
I ride like a granny

Wow that looks great dude.

I would get black grips and black levers personally, but that's just my preference.

What are you going to do about turn signals?

Old April 11th, 2013, 12:54 AM   #17
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That looks great. How is the ride with the long arm?

Old April 14th, 2013, 07:30 AM   #18
motoKRAKEN
ninjette.org member

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250R

Hey did you paint those little tie down clips at the back? I can't really tell but I noticed yours were black in the updated pics.
motoKRAKEN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #19
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The bike looks much better now. Your headed in the right direction.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #20
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Sorry it took me so long to hop back on and reply to posts/post more pics, I've just been pretty busy, and dealing with even more problems with my bike, and not the best of weather to be trying to fix it in. But here goes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown112
I like everything except the rear turn signals, the seat and the mirrors love the color and the ext. swingarm! I wish mine was extended. Love the chrome accesories im not the only one anymore . I wonder what swingarm thats off of? My 250 is my first bike too. Can you make a vid of the cans?

Nice bike!
Thank you, I actually don't like chrome myself and will be removing as much of the chrome as possible. I would love to make a vid of my cans, but I'm having issues starting by bike right now, so that is going to have to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoKRAKEN
very nice!!! im super jealous now! i like the green it looks good, still debating if im gonna re paint my bike or not.
I suppose that depends on the condition of the current paint job, if it is really nice and still stock then I personally wouldn't go through the headache of repainting it. But mine was in terrible condition, so I figured it would be worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85
That poor ninjette in the first pics.

Glad to see you rescued it from it's previous owner. Nice work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog
Nice paint job! Classic green too. You saved it that's for sure.

It's amazing the variety of styles and tastes out there. I like what you did with it, looks much better.
Thank you, and yes it would seem as though I rescued it, and I am liking it much better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnshavenCanuck
Looks good so far, get that fender done, it's not too hard to remove (you can sneak a wrench in there without removing the tire). Is that swing arm off something else or has it been welded? One of the pics makes it seem homemade, if so get it checked out to make sure it's tickety boo. Bar end mirrors and blockoffs seem too be your next step. Check eBay, I got decent ones shipped from china to Canada for 11.00 all in. They worked so nice I ordered a second set for backup. Keep up the good work.
I actually found it easier to pop off the front tire, interestingly enough, and have got it painted and will post those pics soon. Haven't gotten it put back on though. I'm not sure what the swing arm is from, I didn't think to ask questions like that of the previous owner, it's not homemade that much I can tell, it just has a crappy paint job on it and that's probably why it looks so bad. But it hasn't worried me at all, seems fully stable. Nope I actually put on some mirrors in the original mounts, which was another pain in the beep. Pics coming really soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante
Wow that looks great dude.

I would get black grips and black levers personally, but that's just my preference.

What are you going to do about turn signals?
Well, I did get black levers, pix soon. And I picked up some nice black grips, but for some st*pid reason they would not fit on my bars, too small. So I ended up keeping the chrome grips (only after scraping the cr*p off the throttle one) and using the black bar ends that came with the new grips. Doesn't look too bad. And I got LED turn signals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x
That looks great. How is the ride with the long arm?
Thank you, it rides great with the longer swing arm, more stability. Not to mention it keeps me from trying anything st*pid. Though I don't know if it's my imagination or not but I do think I get pushed around more by these terrible kansas winds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoKRAKEN
Hey did you paint those little tie down clips at the back? I can't really tell but I noticed yours were black in the updated pics.
Technically they were painted black when I got them, but yes I did repaint them as well, they turned out just like my gas cap, with that texture. Looks really nice against that bright green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake
The bike looks much better now. Your headed in the right direction.
Thank you. More pics will be coming really soon.

Sorry about the long post, I wanted to respond to all of my replies before posting more pictures.

Old April 14th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #21
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Here I will tell you of the many problems that I have been faced with since I woke up my ninjette earlier this spring:

Hole in the gas tank. Yes, wouldn't you believe that the previous owner decided to use a bolt much too long when replacing the fairing on the left side and punctured the tank. I have been through hell and back trying to fix this problem and screwed up my new paint job on my tank, upper and lower fairings. I have tried numerous sealants while still being able to use the bolt hole, to no avail. I even tried to just use JB Weld to seal the hole completely and that still didn't work. So I have mostly re-stripped the bike, fixed the paint job on the upper and lower fairings and am refusing to put them back on until I have this leak fixed. I have now JB Welded the bolt into the bolt hole and all around the bolt hole double layered, and with my minor tests it seems to finally be holding. But I refuse to use the matching bolt hole on the other side either because I am afraid the other side will pop just to spite me.

The metal mirror brackets were bent back. Yes, somehow the brackets got bent back towards the tail of the bike and with all the prying I have done it's better but not as good as I would like it to be.

My new hand grips refuse to fit my bars. All sport bikes are supposed to have 3/4" bars (and they don't look like 1" either), so naturally I ordered 3/4" grips, makes since right, well they turned out to be too small for my bars. So I am stuck with the chrome grips for now.

My new turn signals turned into a bigger project. I got some cool super flush mount LED turn signals, but didn't think about the fact that the bike was set up for halogen, so the switch wouldn't be so easy. So after much research I found that I'm going to have to trick the system up by my instrument cluster in order to make it work, otherwise I've just got hazards instead of turn signals.

Now for my biggest problem: It won't start. I rode it for a good hour and a half the friday before last and come saturday night it wouldn't start. I would hit the starter button and absolutely nothing would happen. I have started a thread about this, so if anyone has some ideas, hop on over and let me know.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=128027

Those have been my problems, and now for some updated pics.

Old April 14th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #22
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

Now for the long waited for pics:

Here are the new bar ends on the still chrome grips:

The new mirrors attached on the existing brackets:

They were wrapped in fairly cheap looking Carbon Fiber, but they still look nice:

These are the new LED turn signals, the rear are mounted on the passenger footpeg stays:

And the underglow looks awesome with the new paint job:

Let me know what you think, and I will post some more pics within the next few days. I've got a short work week this week so hopefully I can get my bike running, the fairings back on with some fully completed pics and a vid of my cans. All I can do is hope.

Old April 14th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #23
aspenratt07
ninjette.org member

And to suppress many curious minds, yes I did get my front tire fairing painted, though the pics I just posted where before that time.

I don't think I had the clear coats on at this point though, it was getting too dark for pics at that point. In the background shows the upper and lower fairings after I fixed their paint jobs. Most of the fairings aren't even on the bike right now because I am trying to fix this starting problem.

Old April 18th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #24
lowdown112
ninjette.org member

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 01 Ninja 250, 98 Honda CR80, 79 Harley Sportster

Man i want that swingarm《>.<》
lowdown112 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 05:41 AM   #25
iplante
I ride like a granny

Hate the swing arm but otherwise great job man

Old April 18th, 2013, 06:00 AM   #26
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I am not a fan of light shows.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #27
iplante
I ride like a granny

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenratt07 View Post
My new hand grips refuse to fit my bars. All sport bikes are supposed to have 3/4" bars (and they don't look like 1" either), so naturally I ordered 3/4" grips, makes since right, well they turned out to be too small for my bars. So I am stuck with the chrome grips for now.
1/8 of an inch too small.. unless I am mistaken, Ninja bars are 7/8"

Old April 18th, 2013, 04:17 PM   #28
vanman69
ninjette.org member

Name: jet

Motorcycle(s): zzr250 gt650r zxr250 ninja 300

most sport bikes are 7/8, i find cruisers tend to be 1in.
vanman69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2013, 09:20 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Why on Earth are the turn signals mounted next to the pods and not in them?!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #30
Josh_kcco
ninjette.org guru

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): '04 Ninja 250R

nice bar ends. where did you find them at?
Josh_kcco is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 9th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #31
triumphtriple
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Triumph 675- 1993 Ex250

I don't understand the swing arm, why? Its a 250, not a drag bike. Since its your first bike, having a extended swingarm would greatly hinder your handling, making it more difficult to learn. To me a ex250 is a amazing handling bike but slow of course. Making it a poor handling bike and slow, I know you didn't do it but I would put the correct swingarm on it.

For the most part you are doing some awesome work bringing it back to life. I am wondering how much you paid for it and the miles. Great work bondoing. Ground effect lighting is not for me, but to each his own.
triumphtriple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #32
Ish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ish

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001 KX125 2001

PLEASE INSTALL THE CORRECT SWING ARM!! Pay for the shipping and i will send you the correct swing arm

Besides that good job and great save
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote