ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 10th, 2011, 07:50 AM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Christmas

Yes, sadly some of the stores down here in Texas have had Christmas items on their shelves since last month. I am all about the festive time of year. I really enjoy the spirit of Christmas. I'm practically always happy around that time, even if I have to get out and shop. I guess it is the knowledge that this little gift will light up my nieces/nephews eyes and they will get really excited over it.

I don't know why they have to market it so early out though. I started seeing some decorations on the shelves back in September. Am I the only one who feels the Christmas holiday is too commercialized? I know the gift giving kind of symbolizes that three kings delivering gifts to the baby Jesus. Honestly though, it has gotten out of control.

Some of my nieces have been asked what they would like for Christmas. The eldest, she is 12, said she wanted a laptop, iPad 2, and an iPod touch. Really? I remember at her age, I was happy if I got a single computer game, a new basketball, or a new bicycle. I guess when you grow up without a lot of money or material possessions, you tend to really appreciate the few you do have.

Personally I hate giving a list to my mom. I keep telling her to stop giving me gifts, but she refuses. I have enough "stuff" and HAVING to choose more is difficult. So this year I limited myself to: 1) A poster of Team Radioshack at the TDF, 2) a Mellow Johnny's baseball cap, and 3) Home Depot gift cards. I just don't really WANT anything. I have too much to be honest.

To get back to subject, the main reason I posted this thread is I heard from a friend that a co-worker of mine already has her Christmas tree up in her house. REALLY? It just hit November and she already has it up? I think that is a tad premature.

Please tell me nobody on this great forum has their tree up!

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 07:52 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A coworker just told me the same thing yesterday (put their tree up a few days ago).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

The tree in our home is already up.

Of course.......that's because it was never taken down from the year before..........
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:21 AM   #4
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Mark, you're spot on...it is commercialized...very sad.

i mean, when it comes to the holidays i'm a big kid...no doubt, but some people take it to the next level.

Since me and my fiance started living together, our tradition is to put up the tree and decorate the house the day after thanksgiving. for the last 2 years thats what we did...

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:39 AM   #5
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I hate this time of year to be honest. The holidays are supposed to be relaxing, but now, everything has become fast paced. Like you said, people are already stocking their shelves for Christmas. At the grocery store I work at, we've had at least one pallet marked "Christmas" since the beginning of October.

It is far too commercialized, but then again, what isn't? If companies can make an extra buck out of it, they'll seize the opportunity. At the end of November, people are going to be going crazy on Black Friday.

I also have seen someone with their X-Mass tree up yesterday. It kind of spooked me. If it were my house, I wouldn't even decorate it. I honestly don't see the point. I remember being at my dad's house last year and asking him; "When are you going to take down all of these decorations?" and he said in April. What a waste of time.

There really is no purpose of a Christmas tree. You can just leave the presents on the floor. I won't even mind if they're wrapped or not. Ironic how some people can say the economy sucks yet they still take the time to decorate their home with LEDs they bought for 50% off.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:43 AM   #6
Blackwidow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
I hate this time of year to be honest. The holidays are supposed to be relaxing, but now, everything has become fast paced. Like you said, people are already stocking their shelves for Christmas. At the grocery store I work at, we've had at least one pallet marked "Christmas" since the beginning of October.
hate is such a strong word. lol

you shouldn't feel that way because of marketing schemes. People forget what the holidays are all about, its about spending quality time with your loved ones...people are so caught up in the giving and taking part that they lose themselves in the stress and the panic.

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
hate is such a strong word. lol

you shouldn't feel that way because of marketing schemes. People forget what the holidays are all about, its about spending quality time with your loved ones...people are so caught up in the giving and taking part that they lose themselves in the stress and the panic.
Hate would be a understatement.

Spending quality time with my loved ones would be OK if everyone wasn't in such a hurry to buy the new iPhone or make the perfect turkey.

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #8
Blackwidow

you need santa to visit you.

Old November 10th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #9
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
you need santa to visit you.
Something like that.

Old November 10th, 2011, 12:16 PM   #10
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Link to original page on YouTube.

sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #11
Heed

It's snowing.

Old November 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #13
Heed

And now the music starts.

No wonder it gets stuck in your head until February.

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:59 PM   #14
Gorilla25
Dakine...

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (Sold) | 636 (hopefully soon)

i feel the same way. i was happy and stoked on getting a new bat or soccer ball, even my new bicycle i've been wanting when i was younger....i too hate giving my mom a list of stuff i want. all the stuff i want are too expensive to be "gifts" and i can't possibly ask for that kind of stuff. i go by this little thing: if i can't afford it right now or would not buy that for someone else, i wont even bother asking for it. besides, i feel i should support my own hobbies etc. all i really want is to spend time with my family. im an island away from them basically all year for school and this year i almost could not even have gone back home. all i could get was 3 days. at least i'll get to see my family and dog
Gorilla25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #15
Heed

I don't know about you guys, but I feel like an asshole when people ask me what I want for XMAS, or when someone gets you a gift and you didn't get them anything, but then you feel obligated to get them something and you feel guilty for no reason.

I remember when I was a little kid, me and my sister would make a deal that we would get each other a gift as long as it didn't exceed an amount of money. It was cute back then, but it's just dumb now. Nowadays you just end up with something you probably don't even want anyway and it's just a waste of time and money.

Why can't people just buy gifts for themselves?

It would work out so much better for a few reasons. Some people say it's the thought that counts, but at least by me, there isn't a lot of 'thought' anymore. Call me a scrooge.

Old November 11th, 2011, 08:39 PM   #16
Locksmiff
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja ZX-6R

Im thinking about becoming a muslim just so I don't have to bother with it (not really though)
Locksmiff is offline   Reply With Quote