Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old May 19th, 2014, 11:54 PM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Baron's Log : From n00b to whatever comes next

Day 1: 19/5/2014

As much as I wish to be a regular poster here my blasted night time work(which is hopefully going to change soon) keeps me from posting regularly. Recently I got my hands on Circe, my 2009 ninja 250R SE, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen; Heck it made me realize that I'm a motocycle pervert. I mean with a rear like that and the new set of rosso 2's she is wearing, ....dammit Baron, focus....FOCUS.
*Slaps himself senseless*
Nyhoo point is that it's been more than a week since I got her and with the insurance and registration out of the way, it was time I get on her. Now for those who remember me from my intro thread and in case they have forgotten, I am as new as they come to riding and I actually have a fear of driving. What in specific's I didn't know till yesterday morning when I took Circe out for a spin.

As I said before I haven't ridden a lot before, Hell I've only done it a time or two when I gave my brother's 250 a shot for a couple of minutes. Now as I was getting used to it, getting used to manoeuvring it around( at slow speed and in 1st gear), I realized that going fast wasn't the problem, it actually felt nice. It was stopping/slowing down that was.

The reason why I didn't get out of first gear in the parking lot, with my speed freak of a younger brother telling me to, is that I fear not slowing down or down shifting or stopping properly. At times I had to make myself bring my feet up when they were half way to the ground because I thought that I was about to screw things up.

Nyhoooo that was day one. With my schedule changing and my weekends opening up soon, I hope to get some serious practice in.

Let me know if any of you guys experienced something similar.

Cheers
-Baron
Baron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 12:28 AM   #2
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Hello Baron. Fear not. I was almost as sketchy about riding. In time, you will become more comfortable. I have just over 400 miles under my belt (so still brand new) Here are the things I've had to learn early.
  1. MSF course is a great idea. I didn't do it and I wish I had. I will eventually but do not wait. Having certified instructors will most certainly make you feel more confident.
  2. Stay in a parking lot for the first hundred miles. If your problem is slowing down, practice panic braking until there is no panic. Restart your trip meter and practice until the brakes fall off or your trip meter reaches that goal of 100 miles. If you still aren't feeling comfortable, do another 100 miles. I'm talking hours of practice before you go play with other vehicles. Sounds tedious but a cast would be worse right?
  3. Study everything you can. Read Twist of the Wrist, watch Captain Crash on Youtube, anything you can find about motorcycles and riding. Practice everything you learn
  4. Use your rear brake in slow speed situations. This is what dropped my on my first day. At a gas station. In front of people. Everyone has done it, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing
  5. Do your own maintenance. There is a lot of information on this forum and there are wrenchers here to answer any questions you have. It will give you an appreciation for this machine beyond how fast it can go
  6. Get frame sliders, and gear. In that parking lot, you are going to drop the bike. You are going to hit the ground. Remember learning to ride a bike when you were little? You fell right? Same thing. Protect your bike and protect yourself
  7. Lastly, and most important, have fun and be safe. You will get discouraged. You will get mad. If you want to do it, work for it. Stay motivated. Stay passionate. This is your bike. Your ride.

As a side note, if you have the extra cash, a track day may help. I haven't done it but from what I understand, there is a lot to be learned at the track. And there is a beginner level that is just above the MSF.

Hope this helps. Remember we are here if you need anything

Old May 20th, 2014, 02:04 AM   #3
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
Hello Baron. Fear not. I was almost as sketchy about riding. In time, you will become more comfortable. I have just over 400 miles under my belt (so still brand new) Here are the things I've had to learn early.
  1. MSF course is a great idea. I didn't do it and I wish I had. I will eventually but do not wait. Having certified instructors will most certainly make you feel more confident.
  2. Stay in a parking lot for the first hundred miles. If your problem is slowing down, practice panic braking until there is no panic. Restart your trip meter and practice until the brakes fall off or your trip meter reaches that goal of 100 miles. If you still aren't feeling comfortable, do another 100 miles. I'm talking hours of practice before you go play with other vehicles. Sounds tedious but a cast would be worse right?
  3. Study everything you can. Read Twist of the Wrist, watch Captain Crash on Youtube, anything you can find about motorcycles and riding. Practice everything you learn
  4. Use your rear brake in slow speed situations. This is what dropped my on my first day. At a gas station. In front of people. Everyone has done it, but that doesn't make it any less embarrassing
  5. Do your own maintenance. There is a lot of information on this forum and there are wrenchers here to answer any questions you have. It will give you an appreciation for this machine beyond how fast it can go
  6. Get frame sliders, and gear. In that parking lot, you are going to drop the bike. You are going to hit the ground. Remember learning to ride a bike when you were little? You fell right? Same thing. Protect your bike and protect yourself
  7. Lastly, and most important, have fun and be safe. You will get discouraged. You will get mad. If you want to do it, work for it. Stay motivated. Stay passionate. This is your bike. Your ride.

As a side note, if you have the extra cash, a track day may help. I haven't done it but from what I understand, there is a lot to be learned at the track. And there is a beginner level that is just above the MSF.

Hope this helps. Remember we are here if you need anything
Hey Kevin,
Thanks for the reply. There seems to be wisdom in what you have suggested.

I was considering sticking to the parking lot but there aren't any large ones nearby that are empty for me to practice and on a M1 licence I can't really practice at nights, well not without not giving a **** about the law anyway. xD
So I'll be confining myself to the small parking lots and small streets near my place.

I wanted to go for the MSF but a few things stopped me, with what I have already spent on the bike, the new set of tires, the gear, insurance and the registration, I don't have that much to spend. Not to mention that I work nights and the weekends so until that can be taken care of, which will be by the looks of it in a week or so(it's all unofficial yet ;P )I can't really go for the classes which take place on the weekend.

Already am, the threads here are a better resource, however sometimes it can get confusing. :P

True. I was never one to tweak or as such maintain a machine, let alone a beauty like Circe(that and gaming rigs excluded), but I'm already doing some of it. Adjusting the clutch pedal(I swear the mechanic who did Circe's safety must've been a big foot xD), changing the oil, etc.

Frame sliders were my first thought too. My friend actually punched a whole in the side of his 250's fairing the first day he had it. But I am going to wait for my next to next paycheck to get those sadly. Just got to be careful till then.

Old May 20th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #4
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Day 1: 19/5/2014

As much as I wish to be a regular poster here my blasted night time work(which is hopefully going to change soon) keeps me from posting regularly. Recently I got my hands on Circe, my 2009 ninja 250R SE, the most beautiful thing I've ever seen; Heck it made me realize that I'm a motocycle pervert. I mean with a rear like that and the new set of rosso 2's she is wearing, ....dammit Baron, focus....FOCUS.
*Slaps himself senseless*
Nyhoo point is that it's been more than a week since I got her and with the insurance and registration out of the way, it was time I get on her. Now for those who remember me from my intro thread and in case they have forgotten, I am as new as they come to riding and I actually have a fear of driving. What in specific's I didn't know till yesterday morning when I took Circe out for a spin.

As I said before I haven't ridden a lot before, Hell I've only done it a time or two when I gave my brother's 250 a shot for a couple of minutes. Now as I was getting used to it, getting used to manoeuvring it around( at slow speed and in 1st gear), I realized that going fast wasn't the problem, it actually felt nice. It was stopping/slowing down that was.

The reason why I didn't get out of first gear in the parking lot, with my speed freak of a younger brother telling me to, is that I fear not slowing down or down shifting or stopping properly. At times I had to make myself bring my feet up when they were half way to the ground because I thought that I was about to screw things up.

Nyhoooo that was day one. With my schedule changing and my weekends opening up soon, I hope to get some serious practice in.

Let me know if any of you guys experienced something similar.

Cheers
-Baron
Nope!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:56 AM   #5
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

YEah I used to have the same problem…. worrying about stuff that doesnt matter much

Like they say on this forum in every thread your read

MSF?
NO? WHY NOT?
TOO BAD- GO MSF NOW!!!

Seriously if you are starting from scratch and you don't get professional training and experience on the MSF bikes you are nuts.

You want to stay safe and save your beloved motorcycle that you took the time to name from the pain and suffering of the inevitable mistakes.

They say

Hold out both hands…. are you ready?

Your left hand is for experience and your right hand is full of luck

The Key is to fill your left hand before your right hand runs out.

MSF is your chance to benefit from VERY experienced riders
and add knowledge to your base that you wouldn't acquire.

The only other place to learn some of these lessons is the school of hard knox and you don't want that.

I supplemented my experience with lots of reading and tutorials.
I literally read books from a library!!! Gasp ! about motorcycles when I was 15

You have the You Tube and internet full of limitless experience.

If your brother suggests skipping the MSF because he can teach you!!!
I say go for it and save the money! make sure you ride his bike though
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #6
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Nope!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
YEah I used to have the same problem…. worrying about stuff that doesnt matter much

Like they say on this forum in every thread your read

MSF?
NO? WHY NOT?
TOO BAD- GO MSF NOW!!!

Seriously if you are starting from scratch and you don't get professional training and experience on the MSF bikes you are nuts.

You want to stay safe and save your beloved motorcycle that you took the time to name from the pain and suffering of the inevitable mistakes.

They say

Hold out both hands…. are you ready?

Your left hand is for experience and your right hand is full of luck

The Key is to fill your left hand before your right hand runs out.

MSF is your chance to benefit from VERY experienced riders
and add knowledge to your base that you wouldn't acquire.

The only other place to learn some of these lessons is the school of hard knox and you don't want that.

I supplemented my experience with lots of reading and tutorials.
I literally read books from a library!!! Gasp ! about motorcycles when I was 15

You have the You Tube and internet full of limitless experience.

If your brother suggests skipping the MSF because he can teach you!!!
I say go for it and save the money! make sure you ride his bike though
I get what you are saying, I do. I want to do the MSF, I just can't do it right away. Oh well here's to buckling down for 2 more weeks to my next paychque. XP

Old May 20th, 2014, 04:43 PM   #7
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:

I get what you are saying, I do. I want to do the MSF, I just can't do it right away. Oh well here's to buckling down for 2 more weeks to my next paychque. XP
Sounds good
just be safe and careful and read up. even just reading about what MSF teaches you is fine

I never took the MSF , And I feel like I am doing well

but be wise to the luck vs skill thing.

skill builds slow and luck can spend fast depending on how you spend it

Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:06 PM   #8
Baron
Urban Legend

Day 2 : 22/5/2014

Got off work, gym and then some rest. My dad was home and I decided to ask him for help, he's been driving for as long as he can remember so why not. I have to say, without my brother pressuring me to do something, it felt better.
We found a road that was long enough with a few bends to let me practice shifting gears, braking and turning.
Up-shifting wasn't half as difficult as I made it out to be. I did feel a jerk a few times but that was because I was slow to up shift, down shifting could've gone better. A couple of rounds in and I can say I feel much better.
I need to get used to it otherwise I don't see as big a problem as I was making it out to be.

Braking; Now this was the sucker that had me scared but it went rather well as well. Got used to coming to a complete stop at any given point and a few tries in, I felt rather nice. Granted I need a lot of practice but still.

Turning: I now see why people have a problem with countersteering. Sure we've got people who have explained it really well in videos and in text but honestly it's much easier to grasp the basics once you try it out. There was one moment when I nearly made a mistake of breaking/slowing down(don't remember which) in the middle of a turn but luckily I stayed on the throttle and got through.

All in all, about half an hour spent(squats and deadlifts had left my body in sweet agony) but half an hour well spent. Heading tomorrow morning to an open area to practice some more.

Cheers
-Baron

Old May 22nd, 2014, 04:11 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:

[/snip]

Heading tomorrow morning to an open area to practice some more.

Quote:
I never took the MSF , And I feel like I am doing well
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Lightbulb

Quote:
My dad was home and I decided to ask him for help, he's been driving for as long as he can remember so why not. I have to say, without my brother pressuring me to do something, it felt better.

Cheers
-Baron
Smartest move yet

Never let anyone pressure

And usually parents know best

Glad you are Gaining experience

You need to understand if the basic techniques are not reflex you need to keep practicing

Once you are in real traffic the rules change fast.

U look like a wack a mole and anything with four wheels is a hammer

Plus road debri and pedestrians

Animals

And you get the idea - fun house of deadly hazards

Watch some videos and start learning situational awareness and emergency maneuvers

Old May 24th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Baron
Urban Legend

Day 3 : 24/5/2014

Oookay, Day 3. Its strange to think that it took me just 3 days of riding to get over my initial fear of riding, or to get over it to a very large extent. Today at around 7, I went to a nearby parking lot with my father to practice.
What I did do:-
Turning(Both wide and relatively sharp turns)
Braking(Coming to a complete stop on the 1st-3rd gear)
Starting from a complete stop without going down to the 1st.

More specifically, I did a few laps of the parking lot, turning, braking to complete stop, both slowly and suddenly and starting from whichever gear Circe was in when I came to a halt.
A few things that I did notice was that I really have to come to synchronize the bringing in of the clutch and rolling the throttle in to avoid the jerk that usually accompanies with shifting and coming to a complete stop.
I avoided down shifting much because, well I kind skipped it for the next day.
I didn't excessively up-shift or sped because I wanted to get a bit more comfortable with braking at any given time because that was one thing I was very scared about in the beginning.

One last thing, does anyone know the optimal tire pressure for a front rosso2 (stock size)?
I noticed that a pin like object had embedded itself in the front tire to some extent, not too much (but I don't really know how much is enough and I am not about to go made scientist to find out right now) but I want to keep an eye on the tire pressure just in case.
Nyhoo that is that.
Cheers
-Baron

Quote:

U look like a wack a mole and anything with four wheels is a hammer

Plus road debri and pedestrians

Animals

And you get the idea - fun house of deadly hazards
Thanks for the tip. I spent a LOT of time in India and seeing the traffic there, all of that is firmly implanted in my head. Well not really a fun house but more of a fun carnival of deadly hazards but well you get the point. xD

Old June 8th, 2014, 04:12 PM   #12
Baron
Urban Legend

I F***** up

Day IDK

I recently got promoted to supervisor, which means catching up on a lot of things and no time to post here, which I rather regret.
Update : Down shifting is a problem. I can't seem to get the hang of it, then again I haven't had much time to practice. Needless to say the next few sessions will focus on that.

I F***** up

Normal routine, wasn't able to go to the parking lot so I stuck to the streets near my home. More or less deserted during that time of the day. practising breaking and turning at slow speeds(parking lot seemed easier, streets not so much, Maybe I was a bit nervous, I don't know.)

I was turning the bike on the street, nothing new, didn't engage the clutch, engaged the front brake with the throttle still in(least that's what I think happened, still kinda foggy on what happened) and Circe fell on her left side. Good thing was that I was going slow so.....well I kind of controlled it didn't fall fall.

Nyhoo so the turn signal got punched it. I got it home, removed the fairing and put it back in it's place. I reinforced the inside of the fairing and so far it's not budging a bit. Seeing Circe this way did make me go

That being said, I did order the left hand side mirror, the side fairing is going to cost me 500$...so not now, maybe once I know for certain that I am not going to do something stupid. Also I ordered the ColorRite Touch-up Pen Complete Repair Package, so hopefully I'll be able to deal with it.

Can't believe I did something this idiotic. Oh well.

--

--

--

--

Old June 8th, 2014, 09:58 PM   #13
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

These things happen Baron. Keep at it. You'll get better with practice Refer to number 4 in that list of reminders in Post 2 Also, did you ever get those frame sliders?

Old June 8th, 2014, 10:11 PM   #14
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Bump ups happen... Great play by play
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #15
supersport
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

1. Do the MSF
2. Got proper training MSF
3. Safer for you to ride
4. Safer for everyone on the road around you when you ride
5. Show your insurance you completed MSF
6. Get cheaper insurance rate.
supersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:05 AM   #16
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kscreations08 View Post
These things happen Baron. Keep at it. You'll get better with practice Refer to number 4 in that list of reminders in Post 2 Also, did you ever get those frame sliders?
This is where 'life is a bitch' thing comes into play. 10 mins after I got home(while I was getting Circe's fairing off) a UPS truck delivers my bloody frame sliders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Bump ups happen... Great play by play

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport View Post
1. Do the MSF
2. Got proper training MSF
3. Safer for you to ride
4. Safer for everyone on the road around you when you ride
5. Show your insurance you completed MSF
I got the money for it, just need to get the scheduler to book a Thursday off for the in class day, but seeing as I am in my three month probationary period since I got promoted to supervisor, I am bit hesitant to ask for the day off, maybe next month. Now only if the current scheduler was ......welll...nevermind. >x)

Old June 9th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #17
Gunnarman
ninjette.org member

Name: Grayson

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250 special edition

Keep posting man I'm a new rider too and it's nice to read someone going through the learning process. Btw you've yet to talk like shatner on this log .
But yeah good luck and hope the bikes doing ok can't wait to read more and maybe post a story about going through the msf class or something once you've done it. But yeah enjoy riding hope the weather is good for it where you are.
Ps. we have the same bike and I agree it's a sexy freaking bike
Gunnarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:20 AM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Not necessarily. Told my insurance I passed and they said "Congratulations."

"Um, is there a discount for taking and passing a safety course?"

"Nope."

Ah well. Still felt good to have taken it. Really need to take the next level course, but don't have the PTO to burn on the weekday.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 07:41 AM   #19
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post

"Nope."

Ah well. Still felt good to have taken it. Really need to take the next level course, but don't have the PTO to burn on the weekday.
bwahahhaha

- >

Jokes aside

I'll do it for the experience as well, as is I am paying about 200$ for the insurance so....if I save some I save some, if I don't, it's not unmanageable.

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #20
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnarman View Post
Keep posting man I'm a new rider too and it's nice to read someone going through the learning process. Btw you've yet to talk like shatner on this log .
But yeah good luck and hope the bikes doing ok can't wait to read more and maybe post a story about going through the msf class or something once you've done it. But yeah enjoy riding hope the weather is good for it where you are.
Ps. we have the same bike and I agree it's a sexy freaking bike
Sorry nearly skipped your post. Psst, I am work right now. xD

I'll start talking like Shatner in a few and I agree, she's the sexiest thing I've laid my eyes on. She growls, she roars and she purrs, now only if I met a real woman like her, I'd get hitched in a second(well not really, just saying to put my point across). xD

Circe is doing fine, runs perfectly. The only thing I noticed is that when I use the choke the rpms jump up to 6k when it used to do 3k on choke earlier.

Old June 9th, 2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Gunnarman
ninjette.org member

Name: Grayson

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250 special edition

Good to hear and psst,if I didn't have school and finals I'd have got back sooner. And...make sure....you....add...random;pauses. For effect. Nice to hear from you capin, and Godspeed on your voyage to the final frontier. I hope your msf goes well if you choose to take one I'm taking mine in a two weeks btw, I doubt it but if your under 18 some states subsidize the class a lot it's only 50 bucks where I live and even if your not under 18 check cuz at least in washington they will subsidize a certain amount of msf classes so maybe it will make it a easier option for you. And I can't wait its perfect riding weather here in Washington the rainy season is over and our 3 months a year of sun are here hope it's the same for you I want to hear more logs man
Gunnarman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 06:51 PM   #22
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnarman View Post
Good to hear and psst,if I didn't have school and finals I'd have got back sooner. And...make sure....you....add...random;pauses. For effect. Nice to hear from you capin, and Godspeed on your voyage to the final frontier. I hope your msf goes well if you choose to take one I'm taking mine in a two weeks btw, I doubt it but if your under 18 some states subsidize the class a lot it's only 50 bucks where I live and even if your not under 18 check cuz at least in washington they will subsidize a certain amount of msf classes so maybe it will make it a easier option for you. And I can't wait its perfect riding weather here in Washington the rainy season is over and our 3 months a year of sun are here hope it's the same for you I want to hear more logs man
I don't think that would be possible for me, I am not exactly 18(Damn I feel old) xD

Nyhoo Day IDK+1

More of a maintenance and package delivery day. Couple of things: -

1. I received the "EX250R Complete Fairing Fastener Kit" I ordered from Bikebolts. Discovered a few problems while trying to get the missing nuts and bolts in. Incidentally when i was trying to get one particular bolt in place, it slipped and disappeared somewhere. That of course naturally meant taking almost the whole thing apart to find that little bugger.
Good thing being that I now know how to properly assemble and disassemble most of the fairing, bad thing, didn't get to ride much, just some braking exercises.

2. I also got my hands on the left hand side mirror that I had *ahem* put out of commission and installed that.

3. I got a Venom rear wheel stand and the ColorRite kit for repairing the damage to Circe's left fairing. I'll probably make a separate thread asking some help about that but I thought to just throw it out here.

Old June 13th, 2014, 07:04 PM   #23
supersport
ninjette.org member

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post

"Nope."

My insurance ask for it so i thought it works for all insurance.
supersport is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 13th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #24
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
My insurance ask for it so i thought it works for all insurance.
I guess it all varies from one to another. I heard someone say the other day that once you turn 25, you have to pay less, another one I talked to said that the difference between pre-course and post-course amount wasn't that much for him.

Old July 1st, 2014, 07:11 AM   #25
Baron
Urban Legend

Day IDK+1, 2,3 and 4.
So I didn't get to ride Circe for about a week and half [for what happened, refer to this thread]. Got a new front tire[ still can't believe that I had to throw away one with less than 500 kms on it]. Smooth days. Drove around the block and in the area. Everything is falling into place now.

Good things :-
1. Slowly getting used to downshifting.
2. Feeling comfortable in moderate traffic.
3. No more stalling[I'd say barely].
4. Getting better at emergency braking[better than before at least]

The not so good thing :-
1. Downshifting[ Getting used to it but in most cases I end up either getting a jerk or the engine rpm shooting through the roof].
2. Left turns at an intersection.
3. A bit busy at work so less time to ride.

That being said, I think I'll be mentally ready to ride it to work in a few days. Traffic is my only concern now but I think I should be okay.

On a side note, I'm being a complete coward about asking a girl out who passes by my workplace everyday.

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:10 AM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Old July 5th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #27
Baron
Urban Legend

Post 101!!!!!
Wohooo!!! Yeah baby!! woot woot woot!!!
Nyhoo
A small update, I had the colorrite pen kit laying about for some while and well as you know from post #12
that I kinda damaged the side fairing a bit. So I decided to give it a shot. I mean I am 3d art student, I can do this.......well so I thought. It's not so easy, well kind of.
So I took off the fairing and tried to get it done. It's far far far ....far from perfect but from a distance and sometimes somewhat near you don't notice it if you don't know where you to look.
I'll probably take it off again next month or so and do it again till then, this will have to do.

---

---

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:24 PM   #28
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

The fix doesn't look bad. Can you sand it down and back fill it some more?

This is why I like older bikes with character since everyone lays one over or drops one sooner or later.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2014, 07:41 PM   #29
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-m View Post
The fix doesn't look bad. Can you sand it down and back fill it some more?

This is why I like older bikes with character since everyone lays one over or drops one sooner or later.
I'll be re-doing it again properly next month or maybe in the winter when it's hibernating. This was more of a quick patch-up rather than a permanent fix.

Old July 5th, 2014, 11:36 PM   #30
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Doesn't look bad for your first go

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #31
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Doesn't look bad for your first go

Old July 6th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #32
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

Old July 6th, 2014, 12:36 PM   #33
Baron
Urban Legend

Forgot to post this

Since I got my M1 the other day and I was fairly confident in my abilities and skill on Circe, n00bish as they maybe, I took her to work. It was Saturday morning, so not much traffic[the one thing that concerns me]. I wasn't working so it was more of a getting used to riding outside the area I live in and to be honest it wasn't half as daunting as I thought it would be. I was a bit nervous but it was smooth ride. I still have to get better at downshifting but it wasn't remotely as bad as I expected it to be.

To work and back, having done that easily I rode a few more times yesterday, running errands, drove Circe in the evening traffic, not bad, had a few nervous moments but it was my first time outside the area I live in so.....expected really.

I did find myself doing 130kmph once on an empty stretch of road and I slowed down once I realized that I was going that fast . I expected myself to be scared but I wasn't. I am not advocating speeding or not respecting fear itself however I do find it fascinating that I was afraid of riding a bike 2 months ago, every time I used to go out I used to be so nervous, I still find that sometimes even now I am but still now it feels, natural I guess.

Old July 6th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Keep it up! You feel you continue to be surprised what feels "natural" and what doesn't but don't try to rush it.

I am enjoying reading about your progress.

Old July 7th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #35
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Keep it up! You feel you continue to be surprised what feels "natural" and what doesn't but don't try to rush it.

I am enjoying reading about your progress.

Thank you.

Had to ride in the rain to work today. Note to self : Ride with a spare set of pants, standing with one's crotch to the heater does one no favours.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:13 PM   #36
Baron
Urban Legend

Alrighty then!!!
Couple of things to update.
These past two days I've rode in some moderate to heavy rain because once I am getting late and the second time. I was careful enough to not slam the brakes although I did feel them not be as effective as they usually are.

Also I discovered that there is an biker meet n' Greet here in Brampton every Monday. At first I was quite nervous to be around other more experienced bikers, I thought that I'd be making a fool of myself but luckily I didn't. I was too excited to remember all the names but I did get some great shots.

BTW for some reason I can't embed a 500px gallery over here so instead of trying to figure that one out I decided to just take a screen cap and hyperlink it to the album. Check it out and let me know what you think of it.

As a whole, the experience was absolutely amazing. Awesome bunch of guys and really friendly. I got to meet a guy who founded a local club for ninjas called 250 Origins GTA[ It goes without saying that I am signing up]. Oh btw his is the streetfighter ninja in the album. Then I saw a guy come with his Panigale.
It was my first time seeing that bike and Holy WTF!!! If I have that much money someday, I think I may have spotted a future mistress[Circe will always be my girl but you know....a guy has needs xD]
All in all there were about a hundred motorcycles, from choppers to cafe racers to sport bikes. I did spot a ninjette with pink trimmings and a pink helmet[the one with the pink helmet in one of the photographs]. If that person is here, I am not in pink at all but that ninjette looked nice!

Also although I am not on facebook[too much drama], I checked out the event page and Circe was in a lot of photographs[Kind of proud :P]. Link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...9287371&type=1

Nyhoo enjoy the photographs
Cheers
-Baron

Old July 9th, 2014, 10:11 AM   #37
Baron
Urban Legend

Update : I had to remove the 2nd photograph of the 3rd row because it wasn't properly edited.
Also shameless bump. xD

Old July 9th, 2014, 11:44 AM   #38
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Great write up an pics I still don't like riding in the rain

Old July 9th, 2014, 01:18 PM   #39
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
Great write up an pics I still don't like riding in the rain

Thanks.
I don't think anyone fancies driving in the rain. The most irritating part for me isn't getting wet[I'm used to the rains] it's the fact that I can't bloody see in the rain. I was cleaning the visor every few minutes.

Old July 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #40
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Hey Baron,

Decided to check out your thread! Took a while to read and I confess I skipped over a few things, but it seems like you've made a lot of progress in terms of personal skill and experience. Keep us updated!