ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 14th, 2020, 05:44 AM   #1
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

AliExpress Rearsets?

Has anyone tried AliExpress rear sets? My OEM left rearset is broken, and I'm debating on whether I should purchase a used left OEM rearset with shifter on eBay (~$75-$110) or go ahead with AliExpress adjustable rearsets for both left and right.

AliExpress Rearsets

It would be nice to try different rearset adjustments.

Sidenote: I'm slowly transitioning the bike from a city commuter into something I'll take into the twisties more often.

I got some racetech springs and heavier fork oil on the way, can't wait to get the parts in the garage and work on the bike!
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2020, 06:38 PM   #2
Emu
ninjette.org member

Name: Emu

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

I've been watching a lot of different people on youtube run different parts on bikes. I came across the channel "44teeth" and their budget bike build off series. In the latest one they had a "cheap Chinese rearset" literally break at the race track. Put them completely inop and had to drop out. After I saw that I kind of swore off buying the cheap knock off ones. If I ever get to a point where I actually need new ones I'll probably pick up used OEM ones or pay the entry fee to look like a hot boi lol.
Emu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Artruck
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ex250 (black), silver 2005 ex250 scrambler, 2003 ex250 donor bike, 2006 kymco people 250

I love 44teeth and their budget bike battles....
Artruck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2020, 12:57 AM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
I think installation quality makes a HUGE difference. There was guy who got Sato knock-off rearsets and fought with installing for days. Was about to return them to get genuine Sato when someone linked to install guide. Turns out both Sato and their knock-offs required flipping rear master-cylinder around to install properly.

There's also lots of randomness in racing that can't be predicted. My first crash in first season snapped off solid foot-peg, bent frame-mounting point, and bent my Woodkraft rearset so much, it rubbed on swingarm. Replacing them with Ali rearsets with folding pegs lasted 3-seasons now with 3 crashes and they're in great shape!

As with any shopping, there's no 0/100%, all-or-nothing, black & white answer. Costco is not always better than Safeway. Some things are better from Lowes than Home Depot and vice-versa.

With any online shopping, be it Amazon, eBay or Ali, you should do research. Look at vendor rating, product reviews, technical specs (alloy-series, heat treatment, etc), and warranty. I've paid extra for 3rd-party extended warranty on eBay electronics and it's paid off. Many Ali vendors actually have decent warranties.

As mentioned in my racing gas-cap thread , being someone who've had products made abroad, I see many areas where corners can be and are cut. Quality level is dictated by importer and resellers. Foreign manufacturer just produce to specs they're given.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2020, 01:42 AM   #5
nocturncal
ninjette.org member

Name: Cal

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I think installation quality makes a HUGE difference. There was guy who got Sato knock-off rearsets and fought with installing for days. Was about to return them to get genuine Sato when someone linked to install guide. Turns out both Sato and their knock-offs required flipping rear master-cylinder around to install properly.

There's also lots of randomness in racing that can't be predicted. My first crash in first season snapped off solid foot-peg, bent frame-mounting point, and bent my Woodkraft rearset so much, it rubbed on swingarm. Replacing them with Ali rearsets with folding pegs lasted 3-seasons now with 3 crashes and they're in great shape!

As with any shopping, there's no 0/100%, all-or-nothing, black & white answer. Costco is not always better than Safeway. Some things are better from Lowes than Home Depot and vice-versa.

With any online shopping, be it Amazon, eBay or Ali, you should do research. Look at vendor rating, product reviews, technical specs (alloy-series, heat treatment, etc), and warranty. I've paid extra for 3rd-party extended warranty on eBay electronics and it's paid off. Many Ali vendors actually have decent warranties.

As mentioned in my racing gas-cap thread , being someone who've had products made abroad, I see many areas where corners can be and are cut. Quality level is dictated by importer and resellers. Foreign manufacturer just produce to specs they're given.
Yeah the more I research the I'm leaning towards Vortex. The one thing I forgot to think about when looking at the Ali Express rearsets is the rear brake sensor. Looks like many of them don't have that included. Maybe an option would be to figure it what the AliExpress is cloned from, then just purchase the brake sensor from the name brand?

Ease of installation is for sure worth considering. For this reason I may just end up with going with a name brand.
nocturncal is offline   Reply With Quote