ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardywizard View Post
Oh hell! What happened exactly?

I've never done that, if it happened I'd be terrified
Stalled on a hill at a stop light, my bike has a bad clutch switch so I have to put it back in N to get it going again. The car behind me got very impatient. I tried to make sure I didnt stall on the slight hill again, so I gave it a lot of gas, My hands are really small so I cant get the clutch to engage properly so I dropped the clutch too fast, all while giving more gas, and popped a wheelie in the intersection. Granted it was probably only 4 or 5 inches off the ground but it felt really scary.
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2016, 04:31 PM   #7242
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Name: wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

These things happen, please don't be too over urgent. Use your enthusiasm wisely. When I was starting out, I knew I wasn't ready for commuting when I started out from a parking lot and tried to make a left turn. Had it in 2nd by accident and ran straight across the road, thankfully into another parking lot. (And I had already completed the MSF course.-) There's some initial nervousness that contributes to it, but mostly it's related to learning everything new.
This time is as much about making mistakes and building good habits as the sheer joy of riding. We do it despite that rush of fear. Maybe it's the adrenaline....
Make sure you take that MSF course and be safe. Make sure your bike is working correctly. I became quite the mechanic since buying my moto last year. There are lots of helpful videos on You-Tube. Make sure you follow the instructions and do get yourself some torque wrenches. You don't want stuff rattling loose.
Ride safe and have fun.
wendyjboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #7243
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyjboss View Post
These things happen, please don't be too over urgent. Use your enthusiasm wisely. When I was starting out, I knew I wasn't ready for commuting when I started out from a parking lot and tried to make a left turn. Had it in 2nd by accident and ran straight across the road, thankfully into another parking lot. (And I had already completed the MSF course.-) There's some initial nervousness that contributes to it, but mostly it's related to learning everything new.
This time is as much about making mistakes and building good habits as the sheer joy of riding. We do it despite that rush of fear. Maybe it's the adrenaline....
Make sure you take that MSF course and be safe. Make sure your bike is working correctly. I became quite the mechanic since buying my moto last year. There are lots of helpful videos on You-Tube. Make sure you follow the instructions and do get yourself some torque wrenches. You don't want stuff rattling loose.
Ride safe and have fun.
I spent 2 days and 4 hours in a parking lot. It's differnt when you're on the road and stressed because of cars!
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2016, 05:58 PM   #7244
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Changed the oil and cleaned the KLX now I need a battery.

300 went for a long ride Sunday and got a bath today.

Old May 24th, 2016, 08:01 PM   #7245
Twisthem488
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette

I replaced my rear brake line!!! As a very inexperienced "mechanic" who has put it off for a quite a while (bought the lines over a year ago) it felt pretty good to get it acomplished.

I also stripped the screw for the front reservoir cap... :|
Twisthem488 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #7246
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Pulling up to a red light, on the way to work, the chain popped off the rear sprocket. I popped it back on and was on my mary way.

I may tighten it on my lunch break.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2016, 08:35 AM   #7247
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
I'd be interested in your impression of the A13's. Since I found that there's no contingency for Bridgestone, my choice of tires has opened up.
Sure thing! Might not buy them until next race round in June. The Pirelli's on there now might make it a bit longer...I'll know after Saturday.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #7248
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Rode him to work!

And got the saddlebags to fit better. It'll work for now!

20160526_091916.jpg

20160526_091944.jpg

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 28th, 2016, 04:46 PM   #7249
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
There's a brand new set of Alpha 13's on it waiting to be used tomorrow......

Old May 28th, 2016, 05:17 PM   #7250
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
So in the last few day I rode out to West Virginia and met up with the guys rid I ng across county for Run For The Wall. Rode back into DC with them yesterday. Today I got up, checked the bike over, topped up the oil a bit, then rode down into Arlington Cemetery for wreath laying ceremony. Got to Arlington and noticed this:

I was thinking about getting a Harley, I guess the Ninjette wanted to make sure I got the full experience.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160528_114430.jpg (119.0 KB, 8 views)
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 06:05 PM   #7251
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
New front power street tire at 33,000

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:20 PM   #7252
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Nothing except clean and check the tire pressure... because I was about to go for a ride when I saw one of the bolts holding on the shifter/left footpeg arrangement was gone.
Yikes, that doesn't sound like fun, but it seems you found a bolt that would fit?

The accidental wheelie doesn't sound like fun at all.

Me- I got back on my girl after being away for a week. Went through a couple of canyons, with a coffee break in between. Felt good.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #7253
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
So in the last few day I rode out to West Virginia and met up with the guys rid I ng across county for Run For The Wall. Rode back into DC with them yesterday. Today I got up, checked the bike over, topped up the oil a bit, then rode down into Arlington Cemetery for wreath laying ceremony. Got to Arlington and noticed this:

I was thinking about getting a Harley, I guess the Ninjette wanted to make sure I got the full experience.
Pfffff, you got peed on. That's what the Ninjette thinks of your plan.

And yep, I got a bolt that fit just fine!

Also, today I got her up onto the swing arm stand with no assistance... kind of terrifying, but she didn't fall! I still can't believe I lifted all that bike all by myself, even if with a lever...

Old May 29th, 2016, 02:55 AM   #7254
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Pfffff, you got peed on. That's what the Ninjette thinks of your plan.

And yep, I got a bolt that fit just fine!

Also, today I got her up onto the swing arm stand with no assistance... kind of terrifying, but she didn't fall! I still can't believe I lifted all that bike all by myself, even if with a lever...
Well, thankfully I still could see some oil in the sight window so I don't think any damage was done. Also thankfully my beautiful wife drove out with a jug of oil, a funnel and my oil cap.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2016, 04:46 AM   #7255
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
Well, thankfully I still could see some oil in the sight window so I don't think any damage was done. Also thankfully my beautiful wife drove out with a jug of oil, a funnel and my oil cap.
That does sound important

The last thing I did to, or for my Ninjette was acquire a new means of track transport. Oil change is probably next; a bit early, but it gives me an excuse to swap in a pre dilled K&N filter so I can safety wire that too.

Safety wire - it saves engines/lives/pants.

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #7256
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Some lowlife piece of **** stole my swing arm plugs?? WTF??? good thing I had a spare pair, but still.....

21st Century Swing Arm Plugs

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:18 PM   #7257
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Honda CBR 500RF (On its way), 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold)

Changed the oil

I changed the oil in my Ninja today.

It was my first time. I had it done last year by the North Reading Motorsports guys. I am 20 miles away from putting 3000 miles on the bike since I bought it last year to the day, 365 to be exact since I bought it on Craigslist. I figured it was time.

I watched a video on YouTube to see exactly how to do it, and also read the instructions in the manual a couple of times. It wasn't too difficult removing the drain plug, but I could not get the filter nut loose. My 1/2 " socket wrench appears to be broken and I could not get enough leverage with my newer handy ratchets.

Is there a trick to getting the oil filter nut off? It's not reverse threaded is it?

So I didn't change the oil filter. I think it's okay -- that it was changed the last time.

I noticed an immediate difference in the idle and the gentler rumble of the bike in general.

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:32 PM   #7258
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Quote:

It was my first time. I had it done last year by the North Reading Motorsports guys. I am 20 miles away from putting 3000 miles on the bike since I bought it last year to the day, 365 to be exact since I bought it on Craigslist. I figured it was time.

I watched a video on YouTube to see exactly how to do it, and also read the instructions in the manual a couple of times. It wasn't too difficult removing the drain plug, but I could not get the filter nut loose. My 1/2 " socket wrench appears to be broken and I could not get enough leverage with my newer handy ratchets.

Is there a trick to getting the oil filter nut off? It's not reverse threaded is it?

So I didn't change the oil filter. I think it's okay -- that it was changed the last time.

I noticed an immediate difference in the idle and the gentler rumble of the bike in general.
Its not reverse thread, it's just upside down make sure your loosening it. Some people over tighten it, which isn't necessary.

Ne sure you replace both O-rings, and the crush washer. Also be sure to do the oil pump screen cover, and clean the screen as well. You will need a new gasket for the cover.

Some might say that replacing the O-rings, crush washer, and gasket isn't necessary, but it's a cheap price to pay for making sure you don't have any leaks.

Be sure to order a few of each to have on hand. Some oil filters come with the O-ring, or both, I'm that case just pick up some crush washers and oil pump screen cover gaskets.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:36 PM   #7259
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

took her for a ride. Noticed a tick over 10,000 rpm. pulled timing. will listen for the results on the next ride.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #7260
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Its not reverse thread, it's just upside down make sure your loosening it. Some people over tighten it, which isn't necessary.

Ne sure you replace both O-rings, and the crush washer. Also be sure to do the oil pump screen cover, and clean the screen as well. You will need a new gasket for the cover.

Be sure to order a few of each to have on hand. Some oil filters come with the O-ring, or both, I'm that case just pick up some crush washers and oil pump screen cover gaskets.
Thanks Ghostt ... will do...

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:48 PM   #7261
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Thanks Ghostt ... will do...
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Checking_the_oil_screen

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 30th, 2016, 07:59 PM   #7262
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

nice!

Old May 30th, 2016, 08:56 PM   #7263
lizardywizard
green stig

Name: V

Motorcycle(s): '15 Ninja 300 ABS (Hurricane)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Yes... I changed Hurricane's oil for the first time recently and she sounds wonderful. The sound of a healthy Ninjette is so nice!

Old May 30th, 2016, 09:10 PM   #7264
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Quote:
Yes... I changed Hurricane's oil for the first time recently and she sounds wonderful. The sound of a healthy Ninjette is so nice!
Nice!

I put some wear on the edges of my tires. Starting to get some lean on! Maybe not impressive to someone who knows how to ride, but pretty decent for me!

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:23 AM   #7265
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

GSXR shock swap, certainly took longer than i was planning it too, but man is it a nice improvement over the stock one i took out.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 07:53 AM   #7266
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Got caught in a downpour. Rocking Power Streets was like riding on dry roads

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:05 AM   #7267
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
Got caught in a downpour. Rocking Power Streets was like riding on dry roads
Had the same thing happen to me on Friday. The stock IRCs do just fine in the rain, too, as long as the riding isn't so spirited. Rain got my cell phone, though, even though I pulled over as soon as possible.

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:09 AM   #7268
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
There's a brand new set of Alpha 13's on it waiting to be used tomorrow......
Aaaannnd?
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:14 AM   #7269
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Had the same thing happen to me on Friday. The stock IRCs do just fine in the rain, too, as long as the riding isn't so spirited. Rain got my cell phone, though, even though I pulled over as soon as possible.
I was not happy with the IRCs in the rain, and I could ride sort of spirited in the rain on the PSs. Work laptop is why I cannot commute with a chance of rain although I have been caught a few times with it and been ok. Stopping may have been your mistake.

Old May 31st, 2016, 10:58 AM   #7270
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I was not happy with the IRCs in the rain, and I could ride sort of spirited in the rain on the PSs. Work laptop is why I cannot commute with a chance of rain although I have been caught a few times with it and been ok. Stopping may have been your mistake.
I carry my work computer, too, and it was fine because it was in the backpack. My cell was in the front pocket of my jacket . I pulled over at a gas station under the overhang to dry out and wait out the rain.

Old May 31st, 2016, 11:11 AM   #7271
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I carry my work computer, too, and it was fine because it was in the backpack. My cell was in the front pocket of my jacket . I pulled over at a gas station under the overhang to dry out and wait out the rain.
My phone is on a Ram behind the windscreen If it had been in my jacket I would be shopping for a new phone now.

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:11 PM   #7272
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
My phone is on a Ram behind the windscreen If it had been in my jacket I would be shopping for a new phone now.
I didn't have mine in my RAM mount because I don't need it for directions just heading to work. Also, with my mount (master cylinder mount), it wouldn't have been safe anyhow.

Oh well, I'll just have to dip some money out of the "fun" fund to get a new one...

Old May 31st, 2016, 02:40 PM   #7273
Ghostt
in your machine

Installed new rear brake pads, serviced the caliper, flush and filled with new fluid, bled using my hand vacuum pump, took like 10 seconds if that.

Installed the BCB Big Boy links, it raised the back about an 1 1/4". The tire barely touches to ground now when it's on the center stand now. It should also help make the turn in quicker as well.

Greased the rear wheel bearings, and the links too while I had everything apart.

Installed titanium rear caliper bolts, banjo bolts, and sprocket nuts, yes I said titanium.

If anyone needs further information in anything just let me.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 31st, 2016, 02:52 PM   #7274
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Installed titanium rear caliper bolts, banjo bolts, and sprocket nuts, yes I said titanium.
WHOA!!!! According to Alex's weight/HP conversion formula: you just gained 0.0003 HP for only about $60!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 03:37 PM   #7275
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
Aaaannnd?
I didn't get to run them.

First day Taste of Racing was rained out.

Second day was displaced by side car rides.

Round 3 I shall run them! June 25-26th. Wifes track day on them is the 27th.

Old May 31st, 2016, 03:58 PM   #7276
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
WHOA!!!! According to Alex's weight/HP conversion formula: you just gained 0.0003 HP for only about $60!
I forgot about the rotor bolts too. I did it to replace the OEM fasteners which were not in the best of shape due to the POs, and might as well get better ones. I also will be doing the front as I already have them.

Cost was a bit more, but I'm worth it, and it's freaking titanium . Unfortunately the weight savings is wasted due to I had a Sonic bacon double cheeseburger, large fires, and large peanut butter shake

I have to get my new Kendas mounted soon.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:31 PM   #7277
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Added reflective tape to the Givi tonight. It seemed otherwise like a big load of black nothing but for the reflector/potential tail light(?). I hope it stays. The directions say it takes 24 hours for the tape to fully adhere.

Next up, for tomorrow, is to check my brake fluid. The bike has been out in the rain, so I don't know if the front feels stiff because of that, or something else...
But it did feel stiff and sticky today -- the front brake!-).

Also commuted to work under beautiful sunny skies, morning and evening. Lovely!

Last futzed with by wendyjboss; May 31st, 2016 at 08:32 PM. Reason: clarification added

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:37 PM   #7278
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Nice!

I put some wear on the edges of my tires. Starting to get some lean on! Maybe not impressive to someone who knows how to ride, but pretty decent for me!

I love that name, Hurricane!

Old May 31st, 2016, 08:39 PM   #7279
wendyjboss
wendyjboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Nice!

My front tire is wearing too. I did the penny check and also consulted here on the forum. I will be buying new tires too -- probably the Pirelli MT75s.

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:12 PM   #7280
CaliGrrl

Hurricane's the green one... LizardyWizard maybe? I don't remember the rider's screenname. Mine's Marigold McDuck.... Cuz, you know, she's rubber-duckie colored...