Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Took MSF, question about license

Hey all,

I just came back today from my second day of the BRC and I had an absolute blast. However, I am confused on the license process. I'm aware that they send me a certificate in the mail that I take to the DMV. But will this certificate get me my learner's permit or the actual license? I am aware that I must also take the writing test. Note: I am in California and am 18 years old.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #2
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Written test + certificate = provisional license. That means for the first 12 months You may not drive at night, on the freeway, or have any passengers with you.
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

since i was 21 when i got my license, i just went in with my certificate, completed the written and when i got my permit it showed both my car and motorcycle license. Didnt look any further than that. Had passengers, rode around at night..pretty much did everything like any other person would do on any other day. When i got pulled over for speeding the cop didnt say anything and let me off without even a verbal warning.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #4
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

when a friend and i did mine, both 19, we walked into the dmv, took the test for the m1 license as well as renew our class c and we both got a license. a friend of mind did hes a month later and ended up with a 6 month permit. so im not really sure. this friend who had gotten a permit instead of a license is 2 days older than me so i cant explain the reasoning behind it.
ADoMinGu3z is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoMinGu3z View Post
when a friend and i did mine, both 19, we walked into the dmv, took the test for the m1 license as well as renew our class c and we both got a license. a friend of mind did hes a month later and ended up with a 6 month permit. so im not really sure. this friend who had gotten a permit instead of a license is 2 days older than me so i cant explain the reasoning behind it.
You're friend applied for a permit
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #6
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
So is it possible for me to get a license? Only reason I ask is because I am going out of state for college this fall and I would like to have an actual license instead of having to deal with "will this permit work in other states, etc."

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #7
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
perhaps....what i think happened is the people at the dmv dont know how to do their job

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
perhaps....what i think happened is the people at the dmv dont know how to do their job
This. When i told them about the msf course and the certificate i had, they had no clue wtf i was talking about and the lady actually had to get off her fatass to get to the telephone to call her boss to come in and deal with me.

Make it perfectly clear that you've taken the MSF, the msf certificate exempts you from taking the driving course for your M1 and you'd like to take your written M1 AND C1 at the same time, so you can have your license. I had to break it all down for the fcktards at dmv to figure it out and even then they ****ed up my temporary...

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #9
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
This. When i told them about the msf course and the certificate i had, they had no clue wtf i was talking about and the lady actually had to get off her fatass to get to the telephone to call her boss to come in and deal with me.

Make it perfectly clear that you've taken the MSF, the msf certificate exempts you from taking the driving course for your M1 and you'd like to take your written M1 AND C1 at the same time, so you can have your license. I had to break it all down for the fcktards at dmv to figure it out and even then they ****ed up my temporary...
So you take a written M1 test, and a written C1 test? I assume the latter is a car test? So basically I will be getting a temporary license that I have to have for 6 months then I take a skills test? I am sorry if my information is wrong but just from reading around, there are so many answers on sites.

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:18 PM   #10
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdRatherDrum View Post
So you take a written M1 test, and a written C1 test? I assume the latter is a car test? So basically I will be getting a temporary license that I have to have for 6 months then I take a skills test? I am sorry if my information is wrong but just from reading around, there are so many answers on sites.
msf course exempts u from the actual riding portion of the dmv licensing process. so theres two test you will need to take: written m1 exam and written c-class exam (renews c-class license). you should b able to get ur license at the end of this process assuming u pass whether it be provisional or not

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:21 PM   #11
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
msf course exempts u from the actual riding portion of the dmv licensing process. so theres two test you will need to take: written m1 exam and written c-class exam (renews c-class license). you should b able to get ur license at the end of this process assuming u pass whether it be provisional or not
Ah okay I see. Is this just a written test I can walk in and pass, or should I do some studying? So how do they decide whether to give you a provisional or not?

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #12
ADoMinGu3z
ninjette.org member

id study a little unless ur sure u got it. theres a few copys of the test on youtube seeing as how ur in cali. neither test is hard if u are competent (not saying u arent). the provisional vs non provisional depends on who u have at the counter im assuming. mine wasnt

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #13
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
id study a little unless ur sure u got it. theres a few copys of the test on youtube seeing as how ur in cali. neither test is hard if u are competent (not saying u arent). the provisional vs non provisional depends on who u have at the counter im assuming. mine wasnt
I heard that after you have the provisional, you must take the riding skills test. Is this true?

Note: I found some of the tests on youtube to study from.

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #14
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I originally wanted just my M1, i didnt want a C1, but they said it was impossible for me to have a m1, without a C1...so basically, in order to ride my motorcycle, i was forced to also take the C1 written AND drivers test. I did not have to deal with a permit..maybe because i was 21 when i took the test, but after i passed both tests and the drivers test, they gave me a temporary that i needed to keep with me until i recieved my real C1/M1 drivers license.

Since you're under 21 i do believe you're going to have to have a permit for 6months. Although there are restrictions on the permit as long as you arent acting stupid on the bike you'll be completely fine.

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #15
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

I am 18 (almost 19), and I went in to the DMV with my DL389 (MSF completion certificate) and applied for my M1 license.
The website says if you are under 21 you are supposed to hold a motorcycle permit for 6 months before you can have the license.
However when I went in, I took the written motorcycle test, gave them my certificate, and they issued me a motorcycle license. I never had to have the permit..
So I honestly don't know.
I'm going to go with what @ADoMinGu3z said, I probably got the license because the people at the DMV don't know how to do their jobs.

But I'm okay with it, no permit = no restrictions

You might as well go into your DMV and try and get the license. If they will give it to you take it. If they make you get the permit then that sucks :P

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #16
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driddle View Post
I am 18 (almost 19), and I went in to the DMV with my DL389 (MSF completion certificate) and applied for my M1 license.
The website says if you are under 21 you are supposed to hold a motorcycle permit for 6 months before you can have the license.
However when I went in, I took the written motorcycle test, gave them my certificate, and they issued me a motorcycle license. I never had to have the permit..
So I honestly don't know.
I'm going to go with what @ADoMinGu3z said, I probably got the license because the people at the DMV don't know how to do their jobs.

But I'm okay with it, no permit = no restrictions

You might as well go into your DMV and try and get the license. If they will give it to you take it. If they make you get the permit then that sucks :P
I am really hoping that I get the license!

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:37 PM   #17
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I am really hoping that I get the license!
I hope you do to! Good luck with it!
Like I said.. just go in and fill out the form and tell them you are applying for the license. Give them the certificate (thus waiving the driving portion), and take the written test, and you'll probably get it.

I would (if you haven't already) read the motorcycle handbook that the DMV puts out. The WHOLE thing. The test I took had some weirdly worded questions that made it a little difficult. Just read through it and you should be fine.

GL

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #18
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Like I said.. just go in and fill out the form and tell them you are applying for the license. Give them the certificate (thus waiving the driving portion), and take the written test, and you'll probably get it.

I would (if you haven't already) read the motorcycle handbook that the DMV puts out. The WHOLE thing. The test I took had some weirdly worded questions that made it a little difficult. Just read through it and you should be fine.

GL
this.

be careful on the wording. i failed my MC written twice due to the wording. even though i marked the right answer (answer provided in the DMV book,) they said it was still the wrong fckn answer. that seems to get alot of people though..

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #19
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:

GL
So basically I should go in and act normal. Is this form online? Also, is this handbook online, or should I go in and pick one up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
this.

be careful on the wording. i failed my MC written twice due to the wording. even though i marked the right answer (answer provided in the DMV book,) they said it was still the wrong fckn answer. that seems to get alot of people though..
Thanks for the help man!

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #20
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
So basically I should go in and act normal. Is this form online? Also, is this handbook online, or should I go in and pick one up?
Pretty much yeah.
No. You'll get the certificate in the mail from the MSF course, and then you'll have to fill out the DL44 at the DMV, which is just the application form.

They do have the handbook online, or you can go in and pick one up. It's your preference. Personally, I went to my DMV and just grabbed one. It made it easier cause I could carry it around and read it. It's a small paperback book.
California DMV Handbooks
That's the online versions.

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #21
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Pretty much yeah.
No. You'll get the certificate in the mail from the MSF course, and then you'll have to fill out the DL44 at the DMV, which is just the application form.

They do have the handbook online, or you can go in and pick one up. It's your preference. Personally, I went to my DMV and just grabbed one. It made it easier cause I could carry it around and read it. It's a small paperback book.
California DMV Handbooks
That's the online versions.
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I will probably drive to the DMV monday and pick up one of the books.

Old July 20th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #22
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. I will probably drive to the DMV monday and pick up one of the books.
No worries man!
Good luck on the test, and hope to see you out riding soon

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #23
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No worries man!
Good luck on the test, and hope to see you out riding soon
Got my Certificate in the mail today! I want to go to the DMV tomorrow. Do I have to set up an appointment? If not I am going to go there right when it opens tomorrow.

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #24
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

It makes it easier if you have an appointment, but since you are just taking the written test then no I don't think you do.

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #25
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It makes it easier if you have an appointment, but since you are just taking the written test then no I don't think you do.
Alright. Well I scheduled an appointment for the first available date (August 13) so I am hoping they can just take me tomorrow, even if that means waiting an hour or two.

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:13 PM   #26
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Good luck on the test!
If you haven't read the book, like I said, go give it a read tonight.

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #27
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Alright. Well I scheduled an appointment for the first available date (August 13) so I am hoping they can just take me tomorrow, even if that means waiting an hour or two.
Here in California you always want to make an appointment, it cuts your wait time down significantly.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:16 PM   #28
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

@IdRatherDrum @ChaoSS is right, but if you can manage to get there and get in line before the doors even open, sometimes you can get out in not too much time.

Old July 25th, 2013, 04:21 PM   #29
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
@IdRatherDrum @ChaoSS is right, but if you can manage to get there and get in line before the doors even open, sometimes you can get out in not too much time.
Depends on which DMV you go to. Around here, last time I tried that I showed up 30 minutes before they opened and there were about 50 people ahead of me in line. Getting there early enough to beat the line means you are waiting as long as you would have just waiting in line later in the day anyway.

But the individual DMV matters as well. At my local one, you can get in without an appointment. When you get there you get in line to get a number, and there are two lines, one for people with appointments and one for those without. The line without appointments is always loner, and when they get their number they usually have a longer wait until their number is called, but they will be seen.

I once tried to go to the DMV in Hanford, and they had the two lines, but only one person taking care of the lines, and if anyone was in the appointment line they dealt with them first. I got there, got in the non appointment line, and had about 20 people in front of me. A full hour later, I gave up and left, as only one person in front of me had been seen, there was always someone in the appointment line and the non appointment line simply was not moving, at all.

Old July 25th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #30
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
Depends on which DMV you go to. Around here, last time I tried that I showed up 30 minutes before they opened and there were about 50 people ahead of me in line. Getting there early enough to beat the line means you are waiting as long as you would have just waiting in line later in the day anyway.

But the individual DMV matters as well. At my local one, you can get in without an appointment. When you get there you get in line to get a number, and there are two lines, one for people with appointments and one for those without. The line without appointments is always loner, and when they get their number they usually have a longer wait until their number is called, but they will be seen.

I once tried to go to the DMV in Hanford, and they had the two lines, but only one person taking care of the lines, and if anyone was in the appointment line they dealt with them first. I got there, got in the non appointment line, and had about 20 people in front of me. A full hour later, I gave up and left, as only one person in front of me had been seen, there was always someone in the appointment line and the non appointment line simply was not moving, at all.
Well I will give it a shot. I am hoping the wait isn't too long. If not I have an appointment in August.

Old July 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #31
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

The DMVs around here have real time wait times listed on their website.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #32
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
The DMVs around here have real time wait times listed on their website.
I noticed that today. I am going to go there tomorrow before they open

Old July 26th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You Cali guys have sucky DMV's. I waited 3-5mins once at my local DMV and they said "sorry for the wait".
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #34
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You Cali guys have sucky DMV's. I waited 3-5mins once at my local DMV and they said "sorry for the wait".
This is true. We do have lane splitting though.

UPDATE: @Driddle @ChaoSS @csmith12 I was in and out of the DMV in less than an hour. I believe they gave me my full on license. Passed the M1 test with flying colors, and missed one question on the C1 test. It's probably not provisional right? Because the lady punched a whole in my current drivers license and said my new one would come in the mail within a few weeks.

Last futzed with by IdRatherDrum; July 26th, 2013 at 09:36 AM.

Old July 26th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #35
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

If you made an appointment it shouldn't take that long. Also, make sure you have everything applicable on this page: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/dl/checklists/mc.htm
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2013, 11:34 AM   #36
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
This is true. We do have lane splitting though.

UPDATE: @Driddle @ChaoSS @csmith12 I was in and out of the DMV in less than an hour. I believe they gave me my full on license. Passed the M1 test with flying colors, and missed one question on the C1 test. It's probably not provisional right? Because the lady punched a whole in my current drivers license and said my new one would come in the mail within a few weeks.

You got your commercial license as well?
If you turned in your certificate and passed the M1 written test then you should have an M1 license.

Old July 26th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #37
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
You got your commercial license as well?
If you turned in your certificate and passed the M1 written test then you should have an M1 license.
A class C isn't commercial.

Well, technically there is a commercial class C, but it's not common. A Class C is just the regular license. Not sure why everyone is saying C1 though. Motorcycles are broken up into M1 and M2 but class C isn't.

Old July 26th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #38
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
When I lived in Colorado I waited over 4 hours in line to take my permit test, they called my number 2 minutes after the cut off for when they stop giving written tests and refused to give it to me.

This after my dad took off of work and pulled me out of school to go to the DMV.

Old July 26th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #39
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

i got a question that on topic, i went and took the advance msf class here in tennessee and aced it, first perfect 100/100 in the past few years. someone told me i could just take the papers up there and walk out with a motorcycle stamp, is that true? im 27 btw. also the instructors have called me and asked if i wanted to teach up there, they said i could make something like 50-200 a weekend but i would need 1 last class. think its worth it, or is it a jip trying to get me to pay for more classes, the class was called instructor something or other.

Old July 26th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #40
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoSS View Post
A class C isn't commercial.

Well, technically there is a commercial class C, but it's not common. A Class C is just the regular license. Not sure why everyone is saying C1 though. Motorcycles are broken up into M1 and M2 but class C isn't.

Oh duh. My license says CM1..
I dont know why I was thinking that's commercial.