ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:28 AM   #1
ZeroGravity360
Just sittin on my stool..

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Question Frame sliders?

Okay, I dont know where else to post this, I cant find a place for it so ill post it here. I need frame sliders, i am bad at dropping my bike sometimes. My machanic friend told me I need to get expensive ones to avoid them breaking my frame is i go down at high speeds. However, this is not in the budget, but I cannot keep dropping my bike. I was thinking these ones (http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Cut-Black...RWEs6G&vxp=mtr) or (http://www.ebay.com/itm/No-Cut-Frame...9VzFSL&vxp=mtr) But I am not sure how good they are. I dont want to cut my frame. I was also looking at these ones, but a bit more expensive. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Frame-Slider...VWtVJ7&vxp=mtr) or even http://www.ebay.com/itm/BP-Kawasaki-...VWoh~G&vxp=mtr
Please help?
ZeroGravity360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

The recommended is Shogun:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/shog...250r-2008-2012

The dispute is whether they are worth it, they are good for low speed crashes and skids but bad when it comes to high speed and catching on anything. If they catch in the grass or on a rock they could send you bike poll vaulting and cause more damage. The best thing is for the bike to just slide. Most realize that a 250 is a starter bike and recognize they will probably be dropped a couple times.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:40 AM   #3
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
The recommended is Shogun:
http://www.revzilla.com/product/shog...250r-2008-2012

The dispute is whether they are worth it, they are good for low speed crashes and skids but bad when it comes to high speed and catching on anything. If they catch in the grass or on a rock they could send you bike poll vaulting and cause more damage. The best thing is for the bike to just slide. Most realize that a 250 is a starter bike and recognize they will probably be dropped a couple times.
Yes, but you might have missed the part of them being 170 and my budget not allowing it I have already spend close to $600 on gear which is NEEDED, I do not want to spend 170 on frame sliders

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:41 AM   #4
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

No experience with any of those brands but the BP ones look like TRex knock offs. I was pretty impressed with the TRex kit. The big thing with any of them is the length of the slider in order to clear the outside of the fairing makes for a pretty sizeable cantilever acting on the mounting points (think breaker or cheater bar on a socket). Even low speed drops can cause some bending of the fasteners and or mounts.

The good thing is that most of the ninjette kits mount to the steel forward engine mounting brackets that bolt onto the frame. They can be had for $20 or so on ebay and are fairly easily replaceable. It is unlikely that frame damage will occur other than bending those brackets.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:42 AM   #5
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity360 View Post
Yes, but you might have missed the part of them being 170 and my budget not allowing it I have already spend close to $600 on gear which is NEEDED, I do not want to spend 170 on frame sliders
Just remember: You get what you pay for. They are cheap for a reason.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 07:48 AM   #6
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
I understand you predicament, no body ever wants to spend much. Just telling you the best option as recommended by most you will talk with. There are always other options. Truthfully, I wouldn't get them.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #7
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Just remember: You get what you pay for. They are cheap for a reason.
Some times you are paying for the name rather than the product *cough* ducati *cough*

Old May 18th, 2016, 08:44 AM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Some times you are paying for the name rather than the product *cough* ducati *cough*
Have you ever ridden one? Dealt with one? Put some miles on one?

I suggest you might want to try one and see what they're really like. From a mechanical engineering point of view, they are works of art.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 18th, 2016, 09:11 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I don't know about if ducs are worth their price tag lol... but

You don't need to spend any extra $$ on sliders that are stronger than the frame they are mounted too. When in doubt if anything breaks or bends under the force of crashing, you want it to be the slider vs the frame, or you might as well buy another bike, unless you are a talented wrench turner.

/real talk
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #10
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I don't know about if ducs are worth their price tag lol... but

You don't need to spend any extra $$ on sliders that are stronger than the frame they are mounted too. When in doubt if anything breaks or bends under the force of crashing, you want it to be the slider vs the frame, or you might as well buy another bike, unless you are a talented wrench turner.

/real talk
I wouldn't buy the carbon ones, though. You want the slider to be softer than the frame and actually break or slide, not grab and bend.

Stick with something like Delrin.

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #11
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

My Ducati was worth every penny of the 8,000 I paid for it...

on another note, the shoguns are the best option, one fairing will cost you more than the sliders. I find sliders that mount to a few points with a bracket are best (in my opinion). Less likely to bend or twist anything on the frame, the slider itself will prob break beforehand. So if you don't want to spring for shogun, the first and last link looks like they mount to 2 spots on the frame rather than 1, and the puck mounts on that bracket. So I would go for one of those over the other 2.

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #12
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
I dont want to cut my frame.
The cut vs no cut is a matter of cutting bodywork, not your frame.

LSL Crash pads are among the lowest profile I've seen if you're worried about leverage. Unfortunately, they cost a relative fortune - which is why I haven't actually tried them.

I have Shogun sliders on my CBR. I try not to test them, but I'd venture there is a very narrow range of crash conditions in which they'd function like one hopes - and I don't think that narrow range is specific to the brand/model. One could definitely live without them.

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:43 AM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Have you taken the MSF class (or similar)? You've posted quite a bit about problems riding and controlling the bike. We were all n00bs at one time, but starting off with good instruction seems to always help. If you're just trying to learn as you go or from friends, you could miss important things or even learn bad habits. I think everyone would agree that it's better to make the bike fall less, than to make it more resistant to damage when it falls.

You mentioned not wanting to lower the bike, but that might be the best way to go for now. New links are pretty cheap, and having a bike that you can solidly control can help you learn and build confidence. Once you're comfortable like that, you can put the stock links back on and it should be easier to handle, even if you can't reach quite as well as you'd like.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

To go along with what Bill said, lowering the bike is NOT the end all of bike cornering performance if done right. I have watched riders with lowered bikes rail the corners faster than riders with $2k worth of performance parts. However there is a difference in the end, the riders with lowered bikes didn't drop their bike as often and spent their time learning more good stuff vs how to keep the bike on 2 wheels at 2mph.

Food for thought...

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #15
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Perhaps you could take the fairings off for the summer and run her naked until you feel more confident. Skateboard wheels & ready rod make cheap, effective sliders.

Also; you are an excellent candidate for regular evenings turning figure 8's in an empty parking lot. Speed doesn't matter: the goal is to be smooth and balanced.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2016, 10:48 AM   #16
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Perhaps you could take the fairings off for the summer and run her naked until you feel more confident. Skateboard wheels & ready rod make cheap, effective sliders.

Also; you are an excellent candidate for regular evenings turning figure 8's in an empty parking lot. Speed doesn't matter: the goal is to be smooth and balanced.

FYI: I have run naked many times between track days. It wasn't worth my time to swap back and forth.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:10 AM   #17
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
Have you ever ridden one? Dealt with one? Put some miles on one?

I suggest you might want to try one and see what they're really like. From a mechanical engineering point of view, they are works of art.
I am just busting balls, don't take it personally lol. because I call something over priced doesn't mean i am saying its not a "good" product. Its like paying for $500 sunglasses that do the same thing as $10 ones from walmart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Have you taken the MSF class (or similar)? You've posted quite a bit about problems riding and controlling the bike. We were all n00bs at one time, but starting off with good instruction seems to always help. If you're just trying to learn as you go or from friends, you could miss important things or even learn bad habits. I think everyone would agree that it's better to make the bike fall less, than to make it more resistant to damage when it falls.

You mentioned not wanting to lower the bike, but that might be the best way to go for now. New links are pretty cheap, and having a bike that you can solidly control can help you learn and build confidence. Once you're comfortable like that, you can put the stock links back on and it should be easier to handle, even if you can't reach quite as well as you'd like.
The only "problems" I have really had is learning to use a clutch ( never driven a manual anything) and "emergency stops" other than that the things I have posted were backing up on a bike I dont think an MSF course is going to make me taller. Also have had problems with vandalism and I dropped the bike, but people who have ridden for years have dropped their bike too.. so I don't know.

Edit: I also want to add being taller or lowering the bike 2" is not going to help much with not dropping it. Once it starts tipping and gets past 15 or 20 degrees lean angle, that bike is damn heavy and is going over if you have both feet on the ground or is youre tip toeing it. This is why guys in really low cruisers still drop their bikes

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:39 AM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
I am just busting balls, don't take it personally lol. because I call something over priced doesn't mean i am saying its not a "good" product. Its like paying for $500 sunglasses that do the same thing as $10 ones from walmart.
As a mechanic and someone who builds things from scratch, I can appreciate the engineering and design.

Does it fill the same role as a much lower priced machine? Sure! However, there is something to be said for the fit and finish they provide.

Unless you're Snowcat. Then you get two lemons in a row and your money back!

Old May 18th, 2016, 11:49 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I am just busting balls, don't take it personally lol.
Your gunna fit in just fine here.

Old May 18th, 2016, 01:34 PM   #20
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

The TRex sliders someone mentioned have some good reviews online.

Bar end sliders maybe? Those are cheap and no cut.

Old May 18th, 2016, 04:41 PM   #21
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
FYI: I have run naked many times between track days.
I tried running naked during a trackday. Apparently some people don't appreciate the glory of the human form in all its natural majesty.

Old May 18th, 2016, 05:49 PM   #22
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
"busting balls"
I feel an achievement award coming on; @csmith12!
Hunting for graphic as you read!

Edit: I'm thinking this graphic: or

Old May 18th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #23
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
I tried running naked during a trackday. Apparently some people don't appreciate the glory of the human form in all its natural majesty.
That's what I say but no one seems to see it the same way! Lol!

Grammar; she's a bitch!

Old May 19th, 2016, 07:24 PM   #24
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Quote:
That's what I say but no one seems to see it the same way! Lol!

Grammar; she's a bitch!
::giggle::
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 19th, 2016, 08:57 PM   #25
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
::giggle::

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:05 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
I feel an achievement award coming on;
@ZeroGravity360, this one belongs to you

Old May 19th, 2016, 11:09 PM   #27
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Dropping the bike is not good for it. Leaving it on the ground is exponentially more harmful to the machine relative to the number of seconds it is laying down.

Don't drop it and you won't need frame sliders.

Bikes are designed with two wheels and a kickstand as it's third resting point while stationary.

Not trying to be rude, but we are talking about a fix for a problem which occurs due to negligence. It's as if we are discussing how to prepare for the recovery from a broken bone which is not yet broken.

By fixing your attention and awareness on "dropping" the bike, you are mentally preparing yourself and further directing your awareness toward something which shouldn't be entering your thought process. You physically manifest what your mind dwells most on.

This kind of mental awareness should be taught in preschools.

Old May 20th, 2016, 12:21 AM   #28
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
As far as rider training goes, while it's not going to make you taller, having properly-learned, well-practiced skills will free up a lot of brain power to better plan out stops and such to compensate for being short. Also, less things will take you by surprise with more riding experience and honed skills, especially with slow-speed maneuvers.

Nearly 7 years and 4 bikes later, I still drop my bike. While it happens significantly less now because I'm more used to one-footing a bike, I'm still all of 4'11" tall so I can't really always just put a leg down and save it when non-ideal situations or brain farts happen. I've come to terms with the fact that I'll probably never have a pristine bike forever unless I just don't ride the damn thing. I have never had frame sliders on any of the ninjettes I've owned and I probably won't change that any time soon. I figure as long as the bike is still mechanically sound, the small scratches and cracks don't matter that much. There's always touch-up paint lol. It also can be an excuse to further farkle up your bike

Old May 20th, 2016, 06:38 AM   #29
ZeroGravity360

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Dropping the bike is not good for it. Leaving it on the ground is exponentially more harmful to the machine relative to the number of seconds it is laying down.

Don't drop it and you won't need frame sliders.

Bikes are designed with two wheels and a kickstand as it's third resting point while stationary.

Not trying to be rude, but we are talking about a fix for a problem which occurs due to negligence. It's as if we are discussing how to prepare for the recovery from a broken bone which is not yet broken.

By fixing your attention and awareness on "dropping" the bike, you are mentally preparing yourself and further directing your awareness toward something which shouldn't be entering your thought process. You physically manifest what your mind dwells most on.

This kind of mental awareness should be taught in preschools.
Seriously? Are you low key calling me stupid? EVERYONE I know has dropped their bike at least once. Someone Who has ridden for 30 years has dropped their bike once by having to hit the breaks too hard while in a turn. Do not say I should have learned this in preschool. Did you learn the drive a car in preschool???

Old May 20th, 2016, 06:50 AM   #30
Bigballsofpaint

It was 2am, maybe he had a few drinks....

But either way I understand what hes saying. Its just not practical though. With that logic you can say why wear gear? If you are a great motorcyclist then you should never get into an accident, and therefore never need any type of protection.

Unless I missed it, your not buying frame sliders because you plan on dropping it more. But it has been dropped and you would like to lessen any damage IF it happens again in the future. Which is perfectly good reason. I have sliders on 2 of my bikes, one came with them, the other I installed. I have also dropped all 3 of my bikes at various times, usually stupid reasons. Not putting my kickstand down early in my riding life is one of them.

Old May 20th, 2016, 07:10 AM   #31
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Are you calling me stupid?
Only if you refuse your achievement award.

I've been riding for forty-four years. I dropped my lil Ninja last October...in my shop! I failed to fully extend the side stand. But after 44 years I accept the fact I am stupid!

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:45 AM   #32
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
It was 2am, maybe he had a few drinks....
He's in Hawaii. It was like 8pm in his time zone.

Old May 20th, 2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Bigballsofpaint

Maybe he had a few too many at happy hour....

Old May 20th, 2016, 11:09 AM   #34
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Just batshit crazy. All his posts are endless diatribes. Some are actually entertaining but mostly batshit crazy.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2016, 11:13 AM   #35
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I got sliders for my recent 300. The sliders are so heavy. I just want some protection for slipping in the garage or at a stop light or gas station or pebbly parking lot, the most likely drops. Wish they made light weight ones that had no "crash protection" intentions. Crashing at speed, all bets are off anyway.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 20th, 2016, 11:10 PM   #36
corksil

Quote:
Seriously? Are you low key calling me stupid? EVERYONE I know has dropped their bike at least once. Someone Who has ridden for 30 years has dropped their bike once by having to hit the breaks too hard while in a turn. Do not say I should have learned this in preschool. Did you learn the drive a car in preschool???
Didn't mean to offend anyone.. jeez. People are so sensitive these days.

I wasn't referring to the "this" that you were in regards to preschool. What I said was that awareness about basic psychology should be taught to people at a very young age when the mind is flexible enough to integrate simple concepts on a fundamental level before they go on to muddy the mental waters with less important but more complicated things.

I'll try to explain further. Your mind is tuned to pick up on things like a radio antenna is tuned to send/receive certain frequencies. You create the reality that you live in based on your thoughts, which create your perception of the world around you, therefore creating the reality that you live in through your subconscious actions. By focusing on frame sliders, you are subconsciously focusing on crashing -- and you will manifest your thoughts into reality, which are [in this case] about dropping the bike [again].

Not going to try and explain this any further because I don't think it will be understood or well received.

Quote:
I understand what hes saying. Its just not practical though. With that logic you can say why wear gear? If you are a great motorcyclist then you should never get into an accident, and therefore never need any type of protection.
Well... Kind of but not really. I think damaging a bike due to negligence is an excellent lesson to learn with nothing more than a financial wound, whereas damaging yourself due to not wearing gear is a real and tangible problem because it would hinder your ability to work etc.

Dropping a bike and incurring a few hundred dollars worth of damage is a very strong motivator to discourage dropping the bike again in the future.

Riding without gear and crashing is a different kind of problem.

Old May 21st, 2016, 12:32 PM   #37
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Not going to try and explain this any further because I don't think it will be understood or well received.
I get what you are saying and try to get that point across from time to time myself. Here is how I package it so it is more "well received".

Quote:
ANYTHING.... And I mean anything, that takes away from your 100% confidence in riding or handling the bike should be minimized.
In this case, many 100% confidence riders choose to install sliders for whatever reason. So Corksil, sometimes it's best to "don't force it, let it happen". I believe you think at a high enough level to know what I mean. Best case is "it's the best money you'll ever spend to NOT need it."

Want sliders.... get sliders. There are pro's and cons to everything. Worst case is, "when the slider caught, it ripped my bike in half."

Old May 21st, 2016, 02:36 PM   #38
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
@corksil cool sign :-)

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2016, 10:59 PM   #39
corksil

Quote:
I get what you are saying and try to get that point across from time to time myself.
Thanks, and I'm right there with you brother.

Old May 22nd, 2016, 03:58 PM   #40
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Want sliders.... get sliders.
Understood.