ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 30th, 2009, 10:36 PM   #1
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Ninjtiny anyone 150 RR

I'm so getting one of these since I have the connection. They have more hp than our 250's. Nice light weight two stroke. Top speed is about 120 when tuned right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KawakRR1010165.jpg (88.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg ninja-rr-motogp-main.jpg (22.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 28316829_1.jpg (46.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg JeffreyNinjaRR.jpg (104.2 KB, 31 views)

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #2
Verus Cidere
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

Looks good. Exhaust pipe is ridiculously tiny!!!!

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

It may be a tiny exhaust but it's going to be louder then our 250's just by being a 2-stroke.

Nice bike, just be sure to check your local laws to see if you can even legally run that on the roads. In the states they've come down hard on 2-strokes making it so they are practically reduced to off-road and track use only in most places.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:14 PM   #4
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Track use is first purpose for it. if its streetable icing on the cake.

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:20 PM   #5
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

ridiculous
+1 to tiny exhaust, damnn

Old September 30th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #6
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

too tiny yes. But 40 hp damn

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:12 AM   #7
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

what do our 250's get? like 33-37hp?

Old October 1st, 2009, 12:28 AM   #8
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Um try 24-26 stock. massaged can yield 36 but then you into it for a lot of money

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM   #9
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
what do our 250's get? like 33-37hp?

Ummm where did you get those numbers? Only the most heavily modified (not entirely street legal) 250's can get up to 37hp. Stock, the new gens get about 25hp at the wheel as tested by different sources.

Now of course there are the Japanese only I-4 250's (non-ninjette) that get about 40hp+. But alas, we'll have to beg and plead with them to send us something along those lines.

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:06 AM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post

Nice bike, just be sure to check your local laws to see if you can even legally run that on the roads. In the states they've come down hard on 2-strokes making it so they are practically reduced to off-road and track use only in most places.
Or just importing it:
Quote:
3. Requirements to lawfully import motorcycles or motor-driven cycles for on-road use.

If a motorcycle or motor driven cycle is capable of a top speed above 20 miles per hour and is equipped with components (such as lights, mirrors, and turn signals) that are needed for on-road use, NHTSA will regard it as having been primarily manufactured for such purposes. Motorcycles and motor-driven cycles with these capabilities and equipment cannot be lawfully imported into the U.S. unless they were originally manufactured to comply with all applicable FMVSS and bear a label certifying such compliance that is permanently affixed by the original manufacturer. The label must be affixed to a permanent member of the vehicle, as close as is practicable to the intersection of the steering post and the handle bars, so that its contents can be easily read without moving any part of the vehicle except for the steering mechanism. In addition, the vehicle’s manufacturer is required to submit to NHTSA identifying information on itself and the products it manufactures to the FMVSS (as required by 49 CFR Part 566), provide NHTSA with information the agency would need to decipher the VIN the manufacturer is required (under 49 CFR Part 565) to assign to each motor vehicle manufactured for sale in the U.S., and designate a U.S. resident as its agent for service of process (as required under 49 CFR 551.45).
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...ges/page3.html
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:35 AM   #11
talldrink
ninjette.org guru

Name: Deb

Motorcycle(s): '09 ninja 250 (blue)

Nice - how much do these run??

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:54 AM   #12
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ I like them because they look like incredible little machines but I am not going to buy one that I cannot ride on the street at all
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:19 AM   #13
mikedabike64
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250

That looks like it would be a hoot to ride in the twesties
mikedabike64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 07:18 AM   #14
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Find one USED, used machines are a lot easier to import and to put on the road when they don't meet all the standards. That said I think there are few standards for 2 strokes under a certain displacement so you should be OK. Man that thing should be super fun to ride!

Alternate get an old YSR50 and wedge a 125cc 2 stroke into it. You'll need to run the headlights off batteries, but man what a rush that would be with the 40 or so horses available.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:12 AM   #15
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

These sell for about $2000 used and $3000 new. This would be a track bike primarily the NHTSA rules are more applicable to say kawasaki importing the 250 than one guy getting a bike. It meets all of dots standards but the 2 stroke may be the deal breaker for on the road

Old October 1st, 2009, 08:28 AM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

its a 2 stroke so the exhaust is more of an expansion chamber type. it would come out of the cylinder with a diameter similar to that of the exhaust port it would then get wider, then taper down to a narro outlet. The powerband of a 2 stroke is very much dependent upon the shape of the exhaust.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Expansion_chamberB.jpg (12.1 KB, 12 views)
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:17 AM   #17
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Nice bike. Have fun.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 09:29 AM   #18
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

It is probably oil injected with a separate oil tank, so shouldn't really pose much of a concern on the road. Look at all the 2 stroke scooters out there, so emissions are probably not much of a concern either.

Old October 1st, 2009, 10:38 AM   #19
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
It is probably oil injected with a separate oil tank, so shouldn't really pose much of a concern on the road. Look at all the 2 stroke scooters out there, so emissions are probably not much of a concern either.
agreed. i remember a conversation with an engineer friend of mine years ago. he said you'll never see an environmentally friendly 2 stroke or a 4 stroke snowmobile. Guess he was blown away when 4 strokes mx bikes hit the showrooms.

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:09 AM   #20
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
2 strokes are not street legal in NY.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Are you certain about that? I see lots of brand new 2 stroke scooters for sale, as well as the Aprilia's (we even used to have a dealership in town). The last thing I read was that under a certain displacement it was still OK, not sure what size that limit really is, but I thought it was 250 as you can get a few scooters in that size. It may only be a local ordinance and not a state law. Or I could be completely wrong because of old info.

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM   #22
cifex
ninjette.org guru

Name: Z

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold)

Nope not certain. I remember trying to find information on it years back to register an old 125cc dirt bike and it seemed impossible. I've never been able to conclusively find the actual law though. Maybe its different for limited use vehicles road vehicles.
cifex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 01:08 PM   #23
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

This bike might be fun for track days but probably not much good for racing. Unless the rules have changed in the last few years, since I raced, you'd be only allowed to race classes which don't require the bike to be for sale in the U.S. market and so you'd be competing against GP bikes and such.

I wanted to race a CBR 400RR some years back and this is why I ended up not buying the bike.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM   #24
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

i sold me 150RR cos it was too much hassle keeping the 2 stroke engine super clean, which it needs since it has this thing called Super Kips, its like the V-Tech for hondas, where it adjusts the air flow to the piston, but that gets clogged up with daily riding, and i found myself at the mechanic cleaning that out way too often.

i had the bike for 13 months, bought it for $3000, and sod it for $2450. im not sure what the back wheel HP is, but one thing is for sure... they are way faster than the 2fiddy! i could get up to 100 Kmh in 2nd gear, (need to be in 3rd with the 250), i got up to 187 Kmh but had to slow down for traffic lights, and it beat any bike on the roads besides a 600+ sports bike, lol

i do miss it's great power/weight ratio... but i DEF. don't miss 2 stroke sound! mine was still all stock, didn't modify anything, and its about as loud as my 15" AreaP exhaust, just in that awfull 2 stroke pitch, ha ha.

if the situation were different~ were there to be a track here in Bali, and had i a little extra funds, i would have kept the bike for track use, but for daily commuting its not the best. the 250 is way better in that aspect.

oh, and its got a 2 stage catalic converter thats Euro 2

my lil ex-baby rocket

Old October 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM   #25
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Quote:
It may be a tiny exhaust but it's going to be louder then our 250's just by being a 2-stroke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkNinja52 View Post
ridiculous
+1 to tiny exhaust, damnn
It needs that "tiny" exhaust. 2 strokes make power because the pipes are tuned and sized to allow the perfect amount of back pressure when running. If it had a fat big old 2" pipe running all the way back it would make no power at all.

Quote:

Ummm where did you get those numbers? Only the most heavily modified (not entirely street legal) 250's can get up to 37hp. Stock, the new gens get about 25hp at the wheel as tested by different sources.

Now of course there are the Japanese only I-4 250's (non-ninjette) that get about 40hp+. But alas, we'll have to beg and plead with them to send us something along those lines.

That 150RR sure is a sharp little bike! One of these would make decent power. I've seen a few Aprilia RS125's for sale around where I live all of the sudden. The dealer claims they can be made street legal here in Canada so I'm sure one of these would be street-able some how.

And my 92 CBR250RR dyno'd at 42hp @ rear wheel this summer! I love it, she's my baby and gets more attention then the F4i lol.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:25 AM   #26
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

^^ I really want a CBR250RR
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:26 AM   #27
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syphen View Post
And my 92 CBR250RR dyno'd at 42hp @ rear wheel this summer! I love it, she's my baby and gets more attention then the F4i lol.
Ah yes, another one of the I-4 250's we never got to see here in the states. Lucky bastage, being in a country that has at least a few 'gray' imports.

Old October 2nd, 2009, 05:31 PM   #28
tylernt
Special Member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 500, '81 Yamaha XS400

There is such a thing as a clean 2-stroke. Evinrude makes them for boats, as I recall. The crankcase (with pressurized-oil plain-shell bearings) is sealed like a 4-stroke and the gasoline is direct-injected into the cylinder after the exhaust port or valve closes. This gives it emissions equal to a 4-stroke.

The direct injection makes it rather expensive, but the technology exists.
tylernt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 2nd, 2009, 06:08 PM   #29
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
I had an Aprilia SR 50 with the Ditech Direct injection . It was very clean and efficient. Getting 50 mph and 100 mpg easley.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #30
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

no idea where i got those numbers
i think it was more of a guess based of what i have read in some places but i really don't know anything about engines

Old October 7th, 2009, 12:01 AM   #31
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

If they ever put it on sale, I'd rather get a ktm rc4 (250 gp chassis and suspension with a single cylinder 450cc unit for power) total weight is 110kg

Apparently with the 250gp class being replace with 600cc moto2, the next thing to change will be the 125gp class, apparently single 450cc's are they way its going.
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:17 AM   #32
backinthesaddleagain

just read (Motorcyclist) that dirttracking has a new 450 single class that requires the stock frame. supposedly only 1 sec per lap slower than the bigger twins.