ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM   #1
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

have your cake and eat it too

So its starting to get cold here in southeastern PA, allthough this past weekend was beautiful fall riding weather with temps in the mid 50's. I'm starting to get depressed about not being able to ride much any more with winter approaching. However I do really like snowboarding which is the only thing I have to look forward too. This got me thinking:
Is it possible to ride year round(in comfort - temps dont really go below 50) and still be able to snowboard??
If so where(U.S. only)?
The only place I can really think of is Cali outside of the San Fran bay area. although even then it takes 3-4 hours to get up to Tahoe.
Or do you just have to take the good with the bad
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I live in San Diego and Bear Mountain Resort is a little over two hours from me (probably an hour away from LA?). They're open late nov. to late April for boarding.
Supposed to be high 80's/low 90's this week You just have to deal with CA tax (NYC was the same though, so not a big change for me).
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 03:20 PM   #3
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Oddly enough..... Arizona.

Flagstaff Arizona, just north of Phoenix, has 2 different ski and snowboard resorts just a few miles away. In looking at their weather, you will find they have highs in the upper 40's to low 50's during the day with lows down in to the teens at night.

There is also another ski resort about an hour north of Tucson. Their weather is a bit warmer of course. Their temps in winter hover in the 50-60 range and the nights aren't quite as cold. It's just the summers are hotter with it being more in the desert and Flagstaff being up in the mountains.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 03:43 PM   #4
kkim

how about riding, snowboarding AND surfing? hawaii.

take the good with the bad??? there's a bad??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:43 PM   #5
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I rode all year last year in SLC, Utah. (GREATEST SNOW ON EARTH) I was fine. I rode my bike as long as there was not snow on the road. There were a couple stretches of 3 days or so, where I couldn't ride, but I never went more than 5 days without riding.

Unfortunately I will not be able to do that this year, because in Sandpoint, they drive on snowpack, and well, that makes it impossible to ride by my rule of "no snow on the road."

Cold weather tip: heat up your hands on by sticking them under your fairings when at stop lights. The heat from the block warms them up nice and toasty. The only bad thing is that people look at you funny, Just smile and think to yourself, "I'm just giving my bike a hug... I love my motorcycle."

Old November 1st, 2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Los Angeles, ride year around and we have big bear 2 hours away, mtn high about 45 minutes away....for even better mtn's, mammoth which is 4 or 5 hours away.

Old November 1st, 2010, 05:54 PM   #7
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

I just looking at some ski resorts in Arizona and was shocked. Snowbowl is claiming 260 inches of snow a year, and the photos were amazing, did not think it would be wooded like that. I was not expecting that at all, thought Arizona was mostly desert.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM   #8
peachdiddy
Former ninjette rider

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
Los Angeles, ride year around and we have big bear 2 hours away, mtn high about 45 minutes away....for even better mtn's, mammoth which is 4 or 5 hours away.
I wanna move to Cali so bad! I live in Canada (aka Northern Minnesota), where the men are hairy, and most of the women are too. I'd certainly like to live in a warmer climate with the possibility of finding snow (when I want to).

Old November 2nd, 2010, 06:03 PM   #9
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Travis, If you are into winter sports, Schweitzer Basin is quite nice (at least it was 40 years ago when I lived in B.F. ID. A bike on hardpack can only be done with spiked tires like they use when ice racing--not sure they are street legal.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 07:55 PM   #10
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachdiddy View Post
I'd certainly like to live in a warmer climate with the possibility of finding snow (when I want to).
That's the reason why I live here.. I like snow.. but only when I want to
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
I rode all year last year in SLC, Utah. (GREATEST SNOW ON EARTH)
This man speaks the truth.

You can always go to Dubai (or Secaucus, NJ in 2011 lol) and snowboard/ski indoors.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote