Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 23rd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #41
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Blah blah

Park the ninja and cbr

Get a rd350 or 400 with suspension and breAk up grades!
Or get a banshee powered ninja 250

!!!!! Two stroke or it's a joke !

Lol talk about engine rattle and vibrations!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #42
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

Traded my 2008 Ninja 250 for a 2011 CBR250 last year and I am also enjoying riding this bike a LOT more than my Ninjette. I love the gobs of low-end torque the Ninja lacks and the eager personality of the thumper in the twisties. Turning feels more akin to mind control than handlebar use. Throttle input is instant and remarkably smooth. Usable power is available across the RPM range, not just in the top revs. The comfort and ergonomics are perfect for my 6' frame with no hint of crotch tank-diving or cramping. I can see what's behind me in my mirrors instead of just my elbows.
If I did track days or wanted to ride near the redline most of the time I would have certainly stuck with the Ninja, but that's not how I ride. If the American Ninjas were available with FI, I probably would have considered sticking with the Kawasaki too. The CBR just has more of what I'm looking for in a bike right now and I can't think of anything I'd change after riding it for a season. I couldn't say that about my Ninja.
One thing the Honda doesn't have is a decent online community. The 3 forums I've seen are woefully inadequate compared to what Ninja riders have here and on KF. Information is actually hard to come by and the threads seem to wander off in bizarre directions. There are a lot of Indian and Thai members who's concerns are a lot different than ours, which is understandable since the CBR250 is so popular in Asia. The whole "rattle" thing has me mystified, but I've seen several long-lived threads about strange issues that I've never encountered.
You guys are lucky to have a forum like this based on years of experience with the Ninja 250, because there's really nothing out there for the CBR250 that compares yet. It's a resource that I dearly miss and the one regret I have after trading in my Ninja250.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 07:45 AM   #43
safiqr
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Safi

Motorcycle(s): Cbr250

Thumbs up Cbr250r

Guys there are some lucky people who doesnt have the engine rattle in their CBR's.
To be frank cbr250 has got this engine rattle issue at 5-6k rpm which ine can clearly make out and sounds very irritating.. Seems like honda has started working on with this issue and wil sort out as soon as possible.. Honda has joined brasil and india to find out the exact etiology of this rattle and will soon be rectified... Apart from the rattle the engine is really a gem to enjoy and i agree its a very nice bike from honda.
I personally have this engine rattle issue and m eagerly waiting for a response from honda as i dont want to be parted from such a wonderful bike just for this rattling issue... Hope honda finds a fix soon
safiqr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 08:03 AM   #44
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
Very sad.

Left graduate school for a year in 1976 to ride my first Honda, a 360T. Loved riding the CX500 from 1980 - 1984. Have had several outstanding Honda pieces since.

Venerable Honda has had a string of recent issues: 900,000 recall on cars with potential lethal, misfiring air bags (one documented fatality and many injuries); a 2012 Civic redesign bomb (another redesign scheduled for release in the 2013 model year); a boat load of very unhappy CBR250 owners.
The 360T! Cool lol =] ugly though haha. My friend remade his into a cafe racer style bike. Lost a lot of weight but in that it became a huge vibrating machine and will vibrate your ass off.

Anyways sorry with the off topic post. =]
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 09:16 AM   #45
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

The big 4 Jap manufacturers have had 250cc sport/super sport bikes out for a long time now. They just never sold them in America! Here, watch this video about the CBR250RR, GSXR250R, FZR250R, and ZXR250.

Link to original page on YouTube.

dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 01:41 PM   #46
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

was looking at importing a ZXR250c from Australia
it ended up costing too much money in the end and parts would be hard to come by.

it would have been awesome though.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:02 PM   #47
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Yamaha can't build a 250, because they don't have a 250 engine that could make it into the US past the EPA regs.....

They do however have a 400cc Raptor engine that they could cram into a R6 chassis and re-gear for street....and it would be spectacular.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2012, 02:25 PM   #48
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I could've sworn I watched a video on here where they stripped parts to make the cbr250 lighter and on straitways it couldn't keep up with the ninja 250 but it was lighter so was better on turns??
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:24 AM   #49
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray1000 View Post
I could've sworn I watched a video on here where they stripped parts to make the cbr250 lighter and on straitways it couldn't keep up with the ninja 250 but it was lighter so was better on turns??
I saw that too. The people who modified the cibber said that it was early days: they thought that after racing their modified cibber against the fleet of ninjettes that with time they could get it to compete.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2012, 09:49 PM   #50
rawbert625
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): the cool ones

I actually kinda like the cbr, I didn't get to ride it but I have sat on it and it feel very sleek and nimble compared to the ninja. I might've gone for a cbr if the were as plentiful as ninjas in crainglist...not that I don't like my ninja though
rawbert625 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:12 AM   #51
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
I saw that too. The people who modified the cibber said that it was early days: they thought that after racing their modified cibber against the fleet of ninjettes that with time they could get it to compete.
I think it was a Car & Driver video, or something similar, and they said on a tight twisty track they "thought" it could compete. Considering the CBR starts with less HP they would never be able to "make-up" that difference as the Ninja would always have more going mod for mod. It does setup some interesting racing though, with one bike being better in the tighter technical sections and the other being better on the more open sections.

If someone doesn't repost the video we're talking about before I get home from work, I'll do it just for reference and it was kind of cool.

Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:56 AM   #52
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I think that difference would be vastly smaller if all ninjettes were fi. I have gobs more torque in the low and mid range since I did the efi conversion, but I still have a fantastic top end. I imagine the oem fi system is even more slick. For reference, I'm running 15/45 gearing and it pulls just as hard as the bike did with carbs and 14/45 gearing

Once you put both bikes on equal rubber and do the same mods to each to make them race ready (suspension work, raising the tail, brake lines/pads, intake/exhaust etc) I really think the difference in cornering would be very very minimal. Unless the longest straight was literally 1/20 of a mile, both bikes would be very competitive. Even then, just put the ninjette on 13/47 gearing and let her rip out of the turns!

The thought of a track with no straights sounds like a hoot on either bike actually
Posted via Mobile Device
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:07 AM   #53
rjones91
Pro Newbie

Name: Shanii

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Honda CBR 250r......2007 Ninja 250R (sold)

Been riding the 2012 CBR 250 for about 3 weeks now. No engine rattle that I've noticed but I can say the engine has shut off twice while downshifting since I've owned the bike. But honestly....I had that happen to me on my 2007 pre-gen ninja also. As already mentioned previously...the CBR forums are ok but as time goes on, I am sure they will get better. I spend 90% of my time over here on Ninjette.org than over on the honda forums lol. This has to be the absolute best 250 site I've seen hands down.
rjones91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM   #54
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

I will say this for the CBR250, it is way, WAY more comfortable to sit on than the ninja for taller riders. I just don't like how it looks like a cheap chinese knock-off. Still holding out for the Yamaha R4 or R2.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 07:53 AM   #55
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Yeah Yamaha always makes really aggressive bikes. Fingers crossed for am aggressive 250! Still...
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM   #56
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

The CBR250R is a very very solid bike. Thing is a new bike always has a few problems here and there. It's not like the Ninja 250 is perfect, and I wonder how many of you were around in 1986 at the launch? It really hasn't changed much since then but Kawasaki has had two decades to iron out the kinks, so that is definitely an advantage to the Ninja.

The CBR has more torque, and gets much better mileage. As a commuter bike the CBR makes a lot of sense, much easier to ride quickly around town without wringing it out over 10k RPMs. For the more sporty riders, the Ninja will be preferable because it has higher top end.

If I was getting a cheap 250 for commuting, I would pike the CBR. If I was racing 250 class at the track, I would get the Ninja.

Personally I prefer commuting on something a little faster then either though
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #57
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawbert625 View Post
I might've gone for a cbr if the were as plentiful as ninjas in crainglist...not that I don't like my ninja though
That was my issue - only 2 years worth of used bikes, and NONE of them in Montana. As a new rider I didn't want to ride back from MI or TN on it, so I bought the Ninjette (for a grand less than I could have gotten a CBR for). Don't get me wrong, I made a terrific choice. But I do want to ride one eventually.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 23rd, 2012, 10:13 AM   #58
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjones91 View Post
As already mentioned previously...the CBR forums are ok but as time goes on, I am sure they will get better. I spend 90% of my time over here on Ninjette.org than over on the honda forums lol. This has to be the absolute best 250 site I've seen hands down.
We ninjette riders need to be nice to you alternative-2fiddy riders so that you can enjoy this place too! Obviously we shouldn't stop bullying the 600CC riders

Old July 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM   #59
nrninja
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX500 (road bike), '99 EX500 (race bike), '74 CB125S

You've all been forgetting about this...

Have you considered a VTR250?

Seriously, how can you not want one of these? Just look at those blue wheels. It's a classic motorcycle, it's got the awful eye-raping looks of the 80s so you know everyone will be able to see you. It also has a twin spar frame for increased rigidity and a slightly more aggressive riding position than a Ninjette, while weighing a few pounds less. They can be had in good running condition for less than $1000 and are a lot easier to find than you'd think. I recommend trying to find a 1990 one as it won't have Honda's weird shielded front disk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg honda_vtr250_interceptor.jpg (73.8 KB, 4 views)

Old July 24th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #60
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrninja View Post
Have you considered a VTR250?

Seriously, how can you not want one of these? Just look at those blue wheels. It's a classic motorcycle, it's got the awful eye-raping looks of the 80s so you know everyone will be able to see you. It also has a twin spar frame for increased rigidity and a slightly more aggressive riding position than a Ninjette, while weighing a few pounds less. They can be had in good running condition for less than $1000 and are a lot easier to find than you'd think. I recommend trying to find a 1990 one as it won't have Honda's weird shielded front disk.
i rode one of those in my MSF class, tried to buy it from the instructor afterward, lol.

Old July 24th, 2012, 02:35 PM   #61
iplante
I ride like a granny

Name: Isabelle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R - EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i rode one of those in my MSF class, tried to buy it from the instructor afterward, lol.
really? that's pretty cool.
when I took my MSF class, I considered myself very lucky to get a Suzuki TU250 with a bent shift lever.
iplante is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #62
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a local dealer has about 15 CBR250s in all colors available for $3000 OTD. apparently they got the shipment in and not a single one has sold so they are just clearing them out and wont stock them anymore.

http://www.funbike.com/shop/honda/2012-honda-cbr250r/

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #63
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplante View Post
really? that's pretty cool.
when I took my MSF class, I considered myself very lucky to get a Suzuki TU250 with a bent shift lever.
i was surprised too.
every body else sat on enduros and rebel 250s.
the VFR was the only bike left.

it was scratched up but served me well throughout the class.

Old July 24th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #64
lgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
a local dealer has about 15 CBR250s in all colors available for $3000 OTD. apparently they got the shipment in and not a single one has sold so they are just clearing them out and wont stock them anymore.

including tax and fees OTD or are they just listing at 3000?

Old July 24th, 2012, 07:03 PM   #65
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:

If that's OTD, that's one hell of a deal

Old July 25th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #66
kcaja1
ninjette.org member

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R

I text-ed the the store and asking what the OTD price is.
kcaja1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2012, 03:50 PM   #67
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

Quote:

All the Honda dealers in the north east US are getting a $300 over list profit fee for the CBR250R and many are sold out.

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:38 PM   #68
lgk

i ride different routes daily and have seen about 30 different ninjas both old and new gen.

i have not seen a cbr250 on the road.
if it was a sales leader, shouldn't i have seen at least one or two by now?

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:15 AM   #69
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

As soon as they hear a ninja coming all the cbr250 run and hide.... Stealth mode that's why you haven't seen any. I've seen several in Rochester , middle town , Nj ect.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:56 AM   #70
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've seen one last week, and that's it. A full year of sales, and there's more cbr250's in my local dealership than I've seen on the road total.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #71
LoneRonin
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

wait for the 2013...

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM   #72
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRonin View Post
wait for the 2013...
I heard the 2013 CBR250R will have a 2 stroke twin engine, non-ugly fairings, a more aggressive riding position and Diablo Rosso 2 tyres on as stock. cough

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:47 AM   #73
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14

Posted via Mobile Device