Old October 25th, 2009, 01:02 PM   #1
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Harbor freight rear stands

This is really a continuation of this thread:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13824

But I felt it was of value to everyone and should probably be in general and maybe something put in the wiki.

I have both of the stands that HF sells and just did a quick comparison.

First the specs for one of the stands is not even close to correct. The tube type is far taller, and far wider. The aluminum low profile one will not even fit between the swingarm on my Buell. It will fit the swingarm on my brother's KLR650

The low profile stand is not nearly tall enough to fit my Buell, not nearly tall enough to fit the KLR either. From reports in the other thread it looks like it only really works with the spool adapters or with the paddles flipped to the wrong position.

The tube stand is plenty high for the back, and way too high if you decided to use the front fork adapters. It barely goes wide enough for my Buell after I bent the tube a little to make it fit. But it also has really poor leverage so it is hard to lift the bike.

Conclusion is that unless you are really in a pinch, stay clear of the low profile stand.

Alternate to returning it, I think I will machine the low stand to fit the fork adapters so I can lift both ends and may even build a triple tree adapter for the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HFstands.jpg (145.4 KB, 6 views)
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #2
djpharoah
\m/

Name: Mesh

Motorcycle(s): CBR600F3 Smokin Joes

I had the tube one from Harbor Freight - it started buckling under my CBRs weight. So I returned it and got a T-Rex Racing stand for like $70 shipped and its pretty decent for its job.
djpharoah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Now that Harbor Freight actually sells the damn spools in-store (just started this month), the low-profile one is actually seeming like a decent option for Ninjettes. I just returned the swingarm paddle adapters today.

There is a 20% off printable coupon that comes and goes pretty often. In fact, there is currently one that is good until the end of this month. That means the stand can be had for $32. The spools are only $5 before coupon, which is WAAAAY cheaper than any place else. They are not available in black/anodized, however.

My experience with the stand? Even the bolt screws were laughably poor build quality... one wasmis-cast and could not accept a screwdriver head! The manual only included assembly instructions for the parts that were already assembled and NOT for the parts that actually needed it. The diagram was wrong too, but it had a disclaimer. Despite all this, my final verdict is that I'm glad I didn't spend $80-150 on a different stand because this should work quite well! I don't think it's going to fail due to build quality and it seems to lift just fine as long as you are using spools. That's all I needed.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 02:08 AM   #4
tc3jg
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Now that Harbor Freight actually sells the damn spools in-store (just started this month), the low-profile one is actually seeming like a decent option for Ninjettes. I just returned the swingarm paddle adapters today.

There is a 20% off printable coupon that comes and goes pretty often. In fact, there is currently one that is good until the end of this month. That means the stand can be had for $32. The spools are only $5 before coupon, which is WAAAAY cheaper than any place else. They are not available in black/anodized, however.

My experience with the stand? Even the bolt screws were laughably poor build quality... one wasmis-cast and could not accept a screwdriver head! The manual only included assembly instructions for the parts that were already assembled and NOT for the parts that actually needed it. The diagram was wrong too, but it had a disclaimer. Despite all this, my final verdict is that I'm glad I didn't spend $80-150 on a different stand because this should work quite well! I don't think it's going to fail due to build quality and it seems to lift just fine as long as you are using spools. That's all I needed.
yeah that makes it worth it....anyone used the freight and harbor low profile for the front fork lift on our ninjette? thinking of buying one more for storage this winter. and need it for the front
tc3jg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 07:14 AM   #5
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

The low profile will need to be machined to take the front fork adapters! The adapters for the tube stand have a much larger measurement, the bolt in the middle is 1/2 inch so the square part is larger. I'm probably going to give it a go on my low profile, but it is not anything even close to a bolt up conversion. Initial ideas are to drill a 1/2 inch hole through where the paddles go and see if I can get enough room to stick the adapters between the bolts. Then I'll machine out the fork adapter "bolts" and put in a 1/2 inch carriage bolt to hold it to the stand. I already machined one side for this because the forks on my Buell are different lengths on each side, so I made one adapter higher than the other to fit.

The reason I'm thinking of doing this work is that I tried to lift the from of my Buell with the tube stand and the lever arm was beyond vertical which means I was not able to get a decent enough leverage on it to lift the front. It would just be way too high on the tube stand, but I think it would be good on the low profile stand (or at least better). I may drill a big hole part way down from the top of the towers instead of trying to get them attached up on the top. Not sure exactly what I'll do just yet.

Old October 31st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
chess
Ninjette Afficionado!

Name: chess

Motorcycle(s): Red...the sexiest color.

I use the low profile stand...works just fine.

I think I have the paddles upside down, and I slipped a couple pieces of a fuzzy paint roller over them so it's really easy on the bike. I don't even bother with the spools.

I ride year round, so I don't use it for storage, but rather just for oil changes and chain lubing. At any rate, it seems plenty strong for a 300 lb bike.
chess is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2009, 08:24 PM   #7
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Note that the tube stand is now catalog or internet only.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:46 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Note that the tube stand is now catalog or internet only.
Considering that some stores once had it (less than a month ago, I might add), it may make sense to at least check if you have any reason to buy in store (re-occurring 20% off coupon, for example).

Quote:
Originally Posted by chess View Post
I use the low profile stand...works just fine.

I think I have the paddles upside down, and I slipped a couple pieces of a fuzzy paint roller over them so it's really easy on the bike. I don't even bother with the spools.

I ride year round, so I don't use it for storage, but rather just for oil changes and chain lubing. At any rate, it seems plenty strong for a 300 lb bike.
Keep in mind, though, that now that the spools are available in-store for $5, they are cheaper than the $10 paddles and work better. No need to install them "upside down" either.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM   #9
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, I got the last one at my store. They could certainly make a wider and taller version of the aluminum one if they wanted something that will pack in a small box.

Old November 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Yeah, I got the last one at my store. They could certainly make a wider and taller version of the aluminum one if they wanted something that will pack in a small box.

The aluminum low-pro stand WAS in a box at the three stores I visited. I strapped mine to my tankbag and rode home. Did you get a display model or something?

Old November 1st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #11
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I was talking about the tube stand, no box for the tube.