ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 16th, 2023, 01:29 AM   #1
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Name: Julian

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Turn signal indicator not working

Hi there.. been trying to fix my turn signal indicator on my ‘11 ninja 250R
I check the bulb. Its fine
I check contonuity the dashboard cable from its connector and its also fine
I digging arround the bike and just notice that one of two diode in the battery area was missing
And also the previous owner was installing 3in1 stoplamp/tail light and he messing arround the wiring in the back area.

Just wondering if this missing diode was related to the turn signal indicator not working?
And btw the turn signal it self was working fine. Just the indicator in the dashboard did not work.

Julian mustofa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2023, 04:10 AM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
No, missing diode only used in headlight and starter circuit.

Does highbeam indicator work on clocks?
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 18th, 2023, 07:33 AM   #3
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
No, missing diode only used in headlight and starter circuit.

Does highbeam indicator work on clocks?
No wonder i didn’t see the starter relay (compared the service manual pict) previous owner may move it somewhere
And i also notice the headlight sometimes bright and sometimes a bit dimmer when iam on the complete dark road

Yes the high beam indicator in the dashboard was also working fine
Turn signal indicator was the only one that did not outputing any voltage

Old October 18th, 2023, 12:10 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Starter-solenoid is in proper location, under cross-bar that supports rear of petrol tank.

Does your headlight turn on with key ON, or only after you've cranked engine and it's running? PO may have bypassed Diode B to make headlights turn on with key.

Ok, if all 4 winkers work properly, then there may be wiring problem after signal switch. Note there are TWO T-junctions after winker signal leaves switch. First splits signal to front & rear winkers. Second splits signal between front winkers and clock's signal indicator. We'll test 2nd junction to make sure signals are split properly.

2. trace L/R winker wires out of signal-switch to 2nd T-junction. Undo tape here to find 3-way crimp for each side. Are all 3-wires connected?

- set signal-switch to LEFT, measure voltage at grn wire junction, does meter show blinking signal?
- set signal-switch to RIGHT, measure voltage at gry wire junction, does meter show blinking signal?

3. trace L/R winker wires from 2nd T-junction to clocks, nothing broken? Remove indicator bulb.

- set signal-switch to LEFT, measure voltage at grn wire at bulb-socket, does meter show blinking signal?
- set signal-switch to RIGHT, measure voltage at gry wire bulb-socket, does meter show blinking signal?

You may notice there's no ground for indicator bulb. It goes through other side's bulb for ground. Do you have LED winkers in front? It may be problem since higher resistance of LED may lower current-flow too much to light up indicator bulb.

If you get blinking signal at each grn & gry wire at bulb socket, then that's issue. Look up "indicator diode" mod to add 3rd-wire to indicator bulb for dedicated ground. Or put OEM incandescent winker bulbs back in front and indicator will work properly again.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; October 19th, 2023 at 11:54 AM.

Old October 19th, 2023, 01:23 PM   #5
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Starter-solenoid is in proper location, under cross-bar that supports rear of petrol tank.

Does your headlight turn on with key ON, or only after you've cranked engine and it's running? PO may have bypassed Diode B to make headlights turn on with key.

Ok, if all 4 winkers work properly, then there may be wiring problem after signal switch. Note there are TWO T-junctions after winker signal leaves switch. First splits signal to front & rear winkers. Second splits signal between front winkers and clock's signal indicator. We'll test 2nd junction to make sure signals are split properly.

2. trace L/R winker wires out of signal-switch to 2nd T-junction. Undo tape here to find 3-way crimp for each side. Are all 3-wires connected?

- set signal-switch to LEFT, measure voltage at grn wire junction, does meter show blinking signal?
- set signal-switch to RIGHT, measure voltage at gry wire junction, does meter show blinking signal?

3. trace L/R winker wires from 2nd T-junction to clocks, nothing broken? Remove indicator bulb.

- set signal-switch to LEFT, measure voltage at grn wire at bulb-socket, does meter show blinking signal?
- set signal-switch to RIGHT, measure voltage at gry wire bulb-socket, does meter show blinking signal?

You may notice there's no ground for indicator bulb. It goes through other side's bulb for ground. Do you have LED winkers in front? It may be problem since higher resistance of LED may lower current-flow too much to light up indicator bulb.

If you get blinking signal at each grn & gry wire at bulb socket, then that's issue. Look up "indicator diode" mod to add 3rd-wire to indicator bulb for dedicated ground. Or put OEM incandescent winker bulbs back in front and indicator will work properly again.
-Sorry, i mean starter curcuit relay (near battery negative terminal) is missing. not starter relay. Even tough the bike start no problem. Does it okay without that starter circuit relay?

-Yes the headlight just turned on by ignition key (before i cranked the engine). Does bypassing the diode make it worse? Because i just notice the headlight fuse was somewhat swolen. It’s not blown yet tough and still pass continuity test

-ok i’am gonna strip the bike to perform this wiring test.
I give update soon when i found the problem

-yes it use led front turn signal also

Old October 19th, 2023, 01:29 PM   #6
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:

-Sorry, i mean starter curcuit relay (near battery negative terminal) is missing. not starter relay. Even tough the bike start no problem. Does it okay without that starter circuit relay?

-Yes the headlight just turned on by ignition key (before i cranked the engine). Does bypassing the diode make it worse? Because i just notice the headlight fuse was somewhat swolen. It’s not blown yet tough and still pass continuity test

-ok i’am gonna strip the bike to perform this wiring test.
I give update soon when i found the problem

-yes it use led front turn signal also

Old October 22nd, 2023, 03:01 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Very odd, not sure why some people modify wiring that's well-designed and working fine. Removing starter circuit relay and triggering starter-solenoid directly risks burning out start-button. Might only last 5-yrs.

Bypassing headlight diode makes zero sense. It provides more power to starter for better cranking power and only turns on headlight after engine is running. Maybe they never got engine running to realise this, eeediots!

You can get indicator bulb working by installing dedicated ground wire and 2 diodes: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76704

Old October 28th, 2023, 02:50 PM   #8
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Very odd, not sure why some people modify wiring that's well-designed and working fine. Removing starter circuit relay and triggering starter-solenoid directly risks burning out start-button. Might only last 5-yrs.

Bypassing headlight diode makes zero sense. It provides more power to starter for better cranking power and only turns on headlight after engine is running. Maybe they never got engine running to realise this, eeediots!

You can get indicator bulb working by installing dedicated ground wire and 2 diodes: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76704
I do apologize that i was giving wrong information
My bike has wiring diagram (indonesia) version which is slightly different than the others
So it did not have headlight relay on diagram.
(The one attached in the battery cover was actualy the starter circuit relay)
But i’am still not sure about the missing diode B
I think its related with start button and kill switch?

I fix the turn signal indicator turns out there is a broken wiring at 2nd junction

Old October 28th, 2023, 02:51 PM   #9
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:

I do apologize that i was giving wrong information
My bike has wiring diagram (indonesia) version which is slightly different than the others
So it did not have headlight relay on diagram.
(The one attached in the battery cover was actualy the starter circuit relay)
But i’am still not sure about the missing diode B
I think its related with start button and kill switch?

I fix the turn signal indicator turns out there is a broken wiring at 2nd junction

Old November 2nd, 2023, 02:20 PM   #10
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Because the Ninja has only one turn signal indicator on the dash, that bulb is actually part of the turn signal circuit, and current flows through in different directions when the left and right signals are activated. Therefore, the system won’t work with LED turn signals. You need to install diodes in the system.

Something like this: https://youtu.be/7_6aXFOl4eE?si=S3yUn4wH0-JXYA6C
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2023, 08:09 AM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The video link doesn't work for me. Are you sure of the link?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2023, 05:32 PM   #12
Julian mustofa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
Because the Ninja has only one turn signal indicator on the dash, that bulb is actually part of the turn signal circuit, and current flows through in different directions when the left and right signals are activated. Therefore, the system won’t work with LED turn signals. You need to install diodes in the system.

Something like this: https://youtu.be/7_6aXFOl4eE?si=S3yUn4wH0-JXYA6C
Hi.. my bike was already on diode moded by PO. But there is broken wire that makes indicator not working. Thanks