ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:48 AM   #1
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

r6 for street bike

what are your opinions for getting a new r6 for a street bike and very occasional track use like 95% street 5% track. I was planning on getting a cbr600 but i found a really good deal on a r6 and it looks really nice, but im worried about comfort etc. anyone on here have a newer r6? i would be mainly using it for backroad blasting and going to work sometimes.
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 07:52 AM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
what are your opinions for getting a new r6 for a street bike and very occasional track use like 95% street 5% track. I was planning on getting a cbr600 but i found a really good deal on a r6 and it looks really nice, but im worried about comfort etc. anyone on here have a newer r6? i would be mainly using it for backroad blasting and going to work sometimes.
If you are ready for the increase in power the bike is great. Comfort comes with ride time. You will get used to anything you ride, over time.

I'm glad you don't go to work all the time.

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Gravity
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Dane

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

My friend has a 09 r6, he got it as his first bike. It's good a lil tall for me I can only touch the floor with the top of my foot I'm only 5'8 though. He uses it as a daily driver just fine.
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:12 AM   #4
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

i also thought about the r6s but i feel its a waste spending just as much money on that when its basically a 2004 r6

Old July 16th, 2010, 10:30 AM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I had one for awhile (2005 model). Great on the track. Not as fun as you'd expect on the street. The problem isn't comfort, as CC says you'll eventually get used to anything. I could do full-day rides on it no problem.

The issue for me is that the bike just wasn't fun unless you're caning it. If the engine is below 10K rpm it feels totally unresponsive, and the suspension is quite harsh until you're moving at supra-legal speeds. It really is a focused racebike, with all of the downsides that come along with that.

Fun trackday bike, just like all of the modern SS 600's.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm considering one as a second bike (in addition to my 250) and am looking at it as more of a track day / ride in the twisty roads and occasional commuter. As some have said and every review points out the engine isn't much until 10,000rpm but that makes it easy to putter about with if you don't mind the rather extreme ergonomics.

Overall I think it's reasonable but you might want to try and demo one and ride in traffic a little before you decide on it being your main bike.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #7
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

From what I read the 08/09 are real clutch slippers when leaving from traffic lights/stop signs. Supposedly the 2010 has fixed this. I think it is one of the best looking bikes, but was going to get the R6S due to better ergos and streetability. In the back of my mind not only was I buying a previous generation R6, but a discontinued model as they don't make the R6S in 2010. That left me to the M696 and the CBR but the feeling that the Duc was going to cost me more in maintenance made me go CBR. Wish I could have CBR and the new M796. Now if Joe Perry's bike is in good condition and he doesn't want it anymore...
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #8
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The issue for me is that the bike just wasn't fun unless you're caning it. If the engine is below 10K rpm it feels totally unresponsive, and the suspension is quite harsh until you're moving at supra-legal speeds.
This is exactly how I feel about my Ninja. Pretty boring bike below at least 9K, and the suspension is brutal over pretty much everything being that it's so basic. Good fun riding way too fast for the posted speed limit though. It is for these reasons that I still continue to want at least a 750 or liter bike as my upgrade (or Duc 848). I want to stay far away from the track mentality on the street. It's too easy for me to get tempted sometimes, despite my better judgment. I would then keep the 250 as a ride-to-work bike, which as fun as my GTI is, the Ninja would be more fun as a commuter.
Xoulrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #9
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Ive tried both the R6 and the 600RR and am Im impressed with both on the track. The 600RR would seem to be a little more comfortable on the street and alot less harder on the wrists. I havent tried a 09-10 ZX6, YET. From what I hear Its the new horsepower king. Id love to try one at the track. My advice is to Keep the 250 and make it your commuter and buy a used banged up R6 or 600RR for the track.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 07:35 AM   #10
mcteague
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Yamaha FZ6

http://cmgonline.com/images/stories/...FZ6/index.html

Interesting take on the R6 vs the FZ6. It's a good report on how the R6 is great as a track machine but sucks on the street. The FZ6 is a fun, casual track bike but excels in general street riding. I have an FZ6 and really like it, had an Ninja 250R before that. The only bike I would consider moving to, at this point, would be a Triumph Street Triple R. I think the super sports only make sense on the track.

Tim
mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 09:01 AM   #11
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

FZ6 also makes a great track bike as well as being more comfortable on the street.

IMHO I don't really like the new FZ6R compared to the semi faired older FZ6.

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM   #12
backinthesaddleagain

CBR felt hard on the wrists for about 700 miles then fine. BTW went to new gauntlets at same time which have thicker palms then old gloves so maybe looser grip on bars. CBR felt tall for about the same amount of miles. Now only when backing up in parking lots. Work boots help. Not best for riding-peg- shift feel but good for maneuvering.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:58 AM   #13
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

I track an FZ6 and I can say without a doubt it makes a good trackbike after you shed some weight and get the front end redone. Its got plenty of power (R6 based motor) decent brakes (with stainless lines and good pads) and believe it or not is more fickable than the R6. That being said the Fz6 is a fine streetbike. Good upright riding position, good upperbody wind protection, great sport touring bike.

If you can find a leftover model youll get it dirt cheap and will have no problem keeping up with your buddies on the R6s and 600RRs.

I have posted a vid in the proper section here of me and my track preped FZ. If you watch the session 4 advanced vid you will see that the stock motor FZ has no trouble keeping up with the honda 929 camera bike down the straights. The bike is running the factory exhaust and FI map.

Old July 18th, 2010, 12:10 PM   #14
backinthesaddleagain

Ooops I typed then rather than than when I meant to type than. Dam. I mean damn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 18th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #15
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Got the r6 this saturday....Hell of a lot different then the 250. Felt weird when I first rode it, felt like I was going to fly over te front handle bars from the perched up riding position. After about 30 or so miles I am getting more use to the riding position. Not as bad on the wrists as I thought but my thighs and neck are a little sore today from gripping the tank and having to lift my head up to see the road instead of starring at the huge tachometer.

Very fun though. The thing rips, the suspension is super stiff though and very sensitive to imput
Attached Images
File Type: jpg r6b.jpg (280.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg r6d.jpg (229.0 KB, 11 views)

Old July 18th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #16
backinthesaddleagain

Sweet. Best of luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old July 18th, 2010, 03:17 PM   #17
almost40

07 R6??? or is it an 06 or 08.
Your gona love it at the track even more so if you drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket. Gives alot better pull out of the corner. My best friend has on 07 and the only issue hes had with it is the exup set up. (code 18) Lube the exup cables often or eliminate it and have fun.

Old July 18th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #18
Postman
ninjette.org member

Name: CJ

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r, 09 R6

FWIW I hate riding my '09 R6 on the street.

After tracking it, it's an absolute BORE to ride on the street and unnecessarily uncomfortable to putt around on.

The 250r, however, is fun both on and off the track. Even though I have the R6, the 250r is still my daily driver.
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #19
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Its an 08 r6. was brand new actually some dealer up in NY went out of business so the dealer I got it from down in PA bought some of the bikes they had left.