Notices

Old July 31st, 2022, 10:41 PM   #1
JamminJimmy
ninjette.org newbie

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2005 kawasaki ninja 2005

Wink Jammin down the wrong highway:

hey guys and ladies
I am a proud owner of a 250r. But its seen better days. When i got it it was running perfect, no prob. Four months later i saw a drip drip from the carb. So i took off the carb, cleaned it and thats when all the problems start. I raced back in the day, two rm 80s, couldnt cut it and swapped em for a cr250. That was 30 plus years ago. I worked on my own bikes, but got cold. Thought it never left you. bike going on second summer no ride, what a waste. thought it was carb issues so i kept cleaning. eventually i just gave in and got a new carb. That was not even the issue. Checked the petcock and it was blown to pieces. Replaced new. and now the present:
Starts up but rev is i believe 9 thousand if im lucky. no power, bogs down on any kind of hill. Im stumped and ready to hang my hat and let a mechanic take over. but man that hurts. I should be able to troubleshoot this. Dont know when the valves have been adjusted, but the miles on my bike was like 8 grand when i got it. and therfore should be okay. How could it have ran like a champ, then ........

Last futzed with by JamminJimmy; August 1st, 2022 at 01:32 AM. Reason: add pic
JamminJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2022, 11:04 PM   #2
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
JamminJimmy! Glad to have you aboard...
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2022, 11:19 AM   #3
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

Welcome, sorry to hear of your issues. Valves are simple enough to check, I would start there. Once that is ruled out, there is a 99.99% chance that the carbs are still the issue These little ninjettes have the most finicky modern carbs I have ever dealt with, and they have to be kept beyond clean to work. I finally wound up sending my set off to fellow forum member ducatiman who offers quick and reasonable refurbishing services. Now I just run Sta-bil in my gas and give them a quick blow-through with carb cleaner and compressed air after I pull the bike out and it's good to go!

Old August 1st, 2022, 11:32 AM   #4
Ceeloo Yello
ninjette.org guru

Name: C

Motorcycle(s): 250

Welcome

Old August 1st, 2022, 02:12 PM   #5
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
hi and welcome!!!

These carbs aren't easy, need to disassemble down to every last nut, bolt & individual component. Scrub everything including hidden secret passages with PEA-based fuel-system cleaner (spray "carb cleaners " no longer work due to removal of chlorinated compounds). Ultrasonic soak everything, micro soda-blast, set float-levels, sync.

Search for "clean carbs ducatiman" for procedure and photos to get carbs factory-fresh clean. I usually send them to Gordon @ https://completecustomcarbs.com since he does better job of restoration than any human can possibly do.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2022, 01:21 PM   #6
Baby NinjaRR
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ex250F-RR

Pregens really benefit from better jetting, especially if that ridiculous airbox is messed with. I think one can get 2 birds with 1 stone by going at those CVKs w a jet kit while cleaning everything. I have good results w Dynojet stage 3-ish kit w pod filters but the intake noise can be a bit obnoxious for some riders, and the Factory Pro kits seem to be a more popular approach. The stock exhaust system doesn't seem to be too much of a limiting factor aside from the extra weight of 2 mufflers- I hammered my baffles out, felt no discernable diff in power band, and couldn't deal with the racket lol.
p.s. I was led to believe the issues with valve lash closing up and burning exhaust valves were more of a thing with the '89(?) and older models, as they apparently had softer valve seats. My '06 w 26kmiles was still on the loose side of ideal but I don't know when it had been adjusted last, probably about the same time someone snapped of a valve cover bolt in cam tower lol.
Baby NinjaRR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2022, 09:23 AM   #7
JamminJimmy
ninjette.org newbie

Ty for sharing

Old August 4th, 2022, 09:31 AM   #8
JamminJimmy
ninjette.org newbie

Am now interested in knowing: If I buy new carb and petcock, and just put them on, am i leaving anything out. Because they were new i just assumed that I didnt have to do anything to them. Also, everytime i cleaned the carb, I never took the two carbs apart from each other. Is this right? Nor have i compared the jetting. Any feedback on this???

Old August 4th, 2022, 02:47 PM   #9
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Please define new.....factory new at $1147 list price?

The only other carb I can think of which would be as close to new as possible ...a TRUSTWORTHY bolt-on runner/ confirmed jetting/ containing brand new consumables is my FULLY REFURBED #99 link right here:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=367513

IF you are truly interested, contact me....I'll throw in a fully REFURBED petcock at no charge!

Last futzed with by ducatiman; August 4th, 2022 at 06:45 PM.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2022, 03:00 PM   #10
Baby NinjaRR
ninjette.org member

I did have to separate my carbs but can't recall the reason. The biggest issue is getting frozen screws out, an impact driver w a hammer and small vice grips are a given if the carbs haven't been torn down once already. The other thing was dealing with the tiny parts, and not losing them. I had to make a few runs to the hardware store for shim washers, 2.5mm screws, etc.

Old August 4th, 2022, 03:21 PM   #11
Baby NinjaRR
ninjette.org member

P.s. I would've went the refurbished route myself had I known it was a thing those tiny carb parts can be soul suckingly frustrating to deal w lol.

Old August 4th, 2022, 04:20 PM   #12
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Heh, heh, ... send them to ducatiman, they'll come back brand-new!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 15th, 2022, 11:17 AM   #13
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome!
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote