ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 11th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #1
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Name: tanner

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Motorcycle Title Question

Guy I am buying it from is saying he bought the bike from a dealer but never got the title in his name. Then says that there is a spot for my name then I can just take it to the tag agency and get it registered in my name. Sound legit? I am very new to this.
brinksta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If they can't just sign the title over to you, walk away, not really worth the hassle
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
If they can't just sign the title over to you, walk away, not really worth the hassle
I would just move on to another one but this guy is selling an 08 in great condition for only 2800. Best price I have seen around here.

I told him to go to the dmv/tag agency tomorrow and tell me what they say and get everything straightened it.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
mholme
ninjette.org member

Name: Marques

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R, '06 636

Check your local laws. Did he put his name on the title he has as if he were going to title it?
mholme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:13 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
If he can get it so he can just sign it over to you then go for it. But you shouldn't jump through any hoops. Maybe he has it priced so low because he knows he can't legally sell it, who knows. Be wary of deals that are too good.
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #6
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mholme View Post
Check your local laws. Did he put his name on the title he has as if he were going to title it?
The title is under the first owners name according to him.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
So the first owner owns it then, and you are going to give this guy money for a bike he doesn't own. Do you really want to get into that kind of a **** storm?
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #8
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If he can get it so he can just sign it over to you then go for it. But you shouldn't jump through any hoops. Maybe he has it priced so low because he knows he can't legally sell it, who knows. Be wary of deals that are too good.
Probably going to meet him at the tag agency so they can tell us it's legit. Then do the signing over and money exchange there. Does that sound good?

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #9
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So the first owner owns it then, and you are going to give this guy money for a bike he doesn't own. Do you really want to get into that kind of a **** storm?
That's what I am saying. I told him to go to the tag agency tomorrow to get it in his name. He is suppose to let me know what happens tomorrow.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yes just make sure he is the actual owner at the point of sale. I would also request information from him that would allow you to track him down if there are any issues, like full name and drivers license number
AFM #676

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:23 PM   #11
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yes just make sure he is the actual owner at the point of sale. I would also request information from him that would allow you to track him down if there are any issues, like full name and drivers license number
Should I also match his license to the name on the title at that point. Also, should I have him make a bill of sale? If his license matches what the title says then it's good to go though, right? After he rights my name on the back, or whatever?

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #12
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinksta View Post
The title is under the first owners name according to him.
Well if he bought it and the previous owner didn't just hand him an unassigned title, chances are the current person in possession of the bike endorsed the title and he can't just sell it without titling it himself first. At least that's the way I've seen it in the states I've bought vehicles from. I'd ask at the very least for him to show you both sides of the title, either in person or a picture and see for yourself.

EDIT: I see now you said he bought it from the dealer, so chances are it was assigned correctly there and his name is on that title after the dealer assignment...Again, check your local laws, these things can vary by state.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:25 PM   #13
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:

Haha. I did this! Lol.

Only by accident. I was retarded and didn't realize the title was locked because the guy I bought it from signed the title but never put it in his name. Oops. Luckily he was cool and gave me the guys number he bought it from and that guy got a new title and sent it to me. I got lucky. It was my first time buying a vehicle and I though it would be okay. Luckily i was. But it really sucked. I thought I just lost my hard earned money and then had a bike I could never ride.

So to the OP. Make sure you can get it in your name. I learned the hard way (well kinda).
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #14
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Alright, here is my plan. I am going to question him tomorrow about what he did with the title and see if it has a spot to sign it over now and if it is under HIS name now. I will drive down there...meet him at the tag agency. Get him to show me his license to match it with his name on the title. Then while at the tag agency. Get a new license plate and get the title under my name.

Good?

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #15
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

That should work!

Hopefully he agrees to it.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #16
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Alright, I finally got pics of the bike. Looks like an aftermarket exhaust and turn signals. Does the front brake lever look bent to anyone else? I may be wrong, it's been awhile since I have seen one. Also does anybody else search a person on facebook they are selling are buying from? I always do, haha. Found out it's a girl.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #17
mholme
ninjette.org member

So where's the pictures of the girl.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #18
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So where's the pictures of the girl.

Haha, gotta respect her privacy.

Old April 11th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #19
brinksta
ninjette.org member

How much life do the tires look like they have in em?

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:00 PM   #20
mholme
ninjette.org member

I'm kidding about the pictures. Did she just send you those? What about the title?

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #21
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm kidding about the pictures. Did she just send you those? What about the title?
She already explained what it looks like and I think it's wrong. I will ask her to take pics when she goes to tag agency tomorrow to fix it.

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #22
mholme
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brinksta View Post
She already explained what it looks like and I think it's wrong. I will ask her to take pics when she goes to tag agency tomorrow to fix it.
Yeah sounds like it's not going to be straight forward. I'd hop on your motor vehicle bureau's website and see what they have to say about replacement titles and such. If she signed the title and it's not issued in her name, it might be a problem. I guess you'll find out tomorrow. Good luck.

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #23
brinksta
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Yeah sounds like it's not going to be straight forward. I'd hop on your motor vehicle bureau's website and see what they have to say about replacement titles and such. If she signed the title and it's not issued in her name, it might be a problem. I guess you'll find out tomorrow. Good luck.

Thank you.

Old April 11th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I'm actually waiting on a similar issue before I can purchase my bike. The guy is having the title transferred from his son's name to his so he can sell it for his son. We're waiting for it to come in the mail right now, should be in sometime this week. Good luck with her getting it transferred to her name. We need more riders here in Oklahoma

Old April 12th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #25
zenmedic
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ex 250

You have NO idea the headaches of missing or lost title. You may be able to get a tag for the bike. But when you ever try to re-sell it
zenmedic is offline   Reply With Quote