ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Electric Bark Collar

So since I've been on house arrest one of my damn dogs has been driving me crazy. She barks at everything and she has a really annoying earsplitting bark. She stops barking when I yell SHUTUP but she still will just go off and bark at everything. When I had to sleep downstairs in the beginning of my injury she would wake up and start barking AT ****ING NOTHING GARRRR.

So I looked into bark collars, read the reviews on amazon and I found one I liked. It's meant to stop incessant barking. The way it works, the first time the dog barks it will vibrate, alerting the dog to whats coming next. If the dog continues to bark then they get a shock on a scale of 2-7. It's not set off by other dogs barking, only by vibration from the dogs neck. I haven't had any issues with it shocking her when she's playing or growling, only when she barks.

Another thing thats nice about it is that it will only shock once every 15 seconds, so if the dog whimpers or whines from being shocked, that won't set off another shock. I read stories about dogs that would continue to whimper and get shocked over and over, I didn't want that. So I ordered this little gem.

It's been about a week and there is a huge improvement. She no longer barks when people come in the door, or she will bark once then stop. She has for the most part stopped barking at nothing. Occasionally she will hear something outside and go running yapping her head off, then she gets shocked, whimpers and runs back inside. I have to admit, when I hear here get shocked it makes me laugh. She is a really stupid dog and it took her quite a while to figure out Bark = Shock. But even the dumbest dogs can be trained. I still have the collar on her, I want to get her to stop barking at random noises as she wakes people up in the mornings.

It makes me laugh when she cries and whimpers from the shock because the shock is not bad at all. I have it set on 2 the lowest setting and I tested it on my self. I'd say its a little more than a static shock when you touch a doorknob. But man when she gets shocked she freaks the **** out, its hilarious. It's probably a good thing I didn't get the remote controlled shock collars, I'd hit that button just for the fun of it

The collar came with far too much slack, I had to cut it. I don't know what 20lb dog has a 30 inch neck but meh. I tested the collar on my chihuahua Ally, she will bark on command for treats. I put it on two, it shocked her and she kinda looked around like wtf was that? It seemed too mild so I put it on 4 and tried again. She freaked the hell out and ran off. So I decided since Sophie (the annoying one) is such a damn pussy, (she will yelp if you raise your hand at her and don't even touch her) 2 oughta be enough. I would have tested it on Doug the bigassfukin boxer but I had already cut the collar

Anyway, here is the link to a fantastic little training device. If you neighbors complain about your dog barking when your not home you can rest safe knowing this will keep the dog quiet but will not harm them or scare them too much. http://www.amazon.com/Dogtra-Collar-...041506&sr=8-11

Here is a video of the annoying little runt annoying my dog. Eventually he gave up trying to get her out of his face and just tried to sleep.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Is @SafetyPaws gna yell at me?

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Man you really are bored
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 14th, 2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajcadoo View Post
Man you really are bored
wtf are you talking about
AFM #676

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:56 AM   #4
DBentley415
ninjette.org member

Name: Kayla

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

We have an no bark collar for our dog since we live in an apartment complex and it has been wonderful. I've never seen her get shocked by it because we only put it on her when we leave, but I used to come home to her barking and that never happens anymore. It has some of the same features like the 15 second delay and also if she barks so many times within a certain time limit (I should probably just read the instructions again) it won't go off because it is a signal that something serious is happening like an intruder is in the apt.

*In paradise there ain't no clocks...*
DBentley415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Thats an interesting feature, the no zapping part. Mine can get about 5-8 barks in before she gets zapped haha.
AFM #676

Old May 15th, 2012, 04:05 PM   #6
road_rascal
ninjette.org member

Name: ___

Motorcycle(s): ___

We put a shock bark collar on our previous dog (no longer alive) and it didn't do squat. She'd bark right through the shocks. What did work was the citronella spray bark collar. A little pricey but it did the trick. Didn't get it from here but you get the idea.

http://www.americas-pet-store.com/ci...rk-collar.html
road_rascal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7
kyrider
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bobbert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

I have never had that problem because I took a lot of time with my dogs. There is a puppy collar that is less restrictive than a chocker and is a great training device. I have raised several dogs using a simple restrictive collar and lots of time and developed a well mannered dog.

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/puprsg.html
kyrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2012, 06:27 AM   #8
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

+1 for the bark collar.

We got an Austrailian Shepard puppy in December. She was becoming a horrible backyard-barker. The collar solved it.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #9
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrider View Post
I have never had that problem because I took a lot of time with my dogs. There is a puppy collar that is less restrictive than a chocker and is a great training device. I have raised several dogs using a simple restrictive collar and lots of time and developed a well mannered dog.

http://www.oakhillkennel.com/puprsg.html
+1

Now here's the thing, you say you tested it on yourself? Where did you place it? on your hand? I would put the thing around your neck and scream at the top of your lungs and see what it feels like, that would give you the best representation. Also record it, it would A) great B) you can see your reaction. Try different settings. better yet you can put it on one of your healing areas, tissue is soft and if the shock is placed at a vain the current can travel the bloodstream and the effects can be felt across ones entire body.

My friend had shock collars, not for barking but invisible fence, but they are placed in the same place around their larynx. I first tried to hold them as a closed fist as tight as i could, interesting feeling. What i did to test these some more was connect the two together via their buckle and then strapped the two around my waist and ran out to of the invisible fence range. Man I have to find and show you that video. Story; i couldn't stop laughing and yelling like a little girl to get it off. I had no success and my friend had to take it off dropping her camera in the process because it was so priceless. I had minor burn marks. ill post vid when i find it.

I really have no problem with my dogs, German Shepherd/Rot Wilier mix (70ish lbs) and Labrador Retriever (80ish lbs). They are no small dogs and speak on command, even got the mix (Rosco) to say "I Love You", Blue the lab is working on it. I did spend A LOT of time with them teaching, training, and playing with them. Its all in good training and patience, no choke collars, no shock collars, (this next part might sound a tad bit gay but) just gotta love them and they will listen to you as their master. You are the alpha, its in their nature to listen to your orders.

Now my dogs are not perfect, occasionally if they see a creature at night, mostly cats, possums, or raccoon (or dogs during the day) out the window before i can see it to break their focus; they will make, at least Rosco will make a barking/howl (i got him to add the howl, still working on it on command, that and growl. Howl came from discovering this first sat of every month tornado warning, use it as a training tool)frustrated that he cant get to it. It took some time to get him to stop that type of barking after an animal, (ill have to record it). But when we tell him to stop, he's good, he stops barking and whimpers like "come on please let me eat it!"

what ever you do, just think if what it will do to you, if u want u can use bark collar for a month or so, after she? learns that she shouldnt bark, even with it off she will remember the haunting shocks. use it as a training tool not a permanent solution. While youre healing spend some time teaching em some stuff, i am working on an updated training section on my website. finals killing most of my time last few weeks.

edit: howd you tag me btw?, just noticed it =D

Old June 11th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Lol for tags you just put @SafetyPaws thats it.

Actually the other night we were passing around the shock collar putting it up to our necks and barking at it. It was actually quite fun.

This dog was my grandpas dog before he committed suicide with donuts, when she lived there he would feed them everything he ate by dropping it on the ground, burgers, chicken, everything. She would pee and **** in the house and she was a disgusting mess. She was fat as hell, I'd say a good 25-30lbs, shes now about 12-15lbs. She would also always bark all the time. This dog never had a lick of training all her life. I've trained my other dogs quite well but this one there is just no hope for. It's like shes got ADD or something. I'm considering buying a shock collar with a remote to get her to stop other behaviors. Most notably, eating cat **** out of the catbox, shes the only one of my dogs that still does it. She will go in there when she thinks I'm not looking and grab a juicy nugget. Honestly I have no idea how to make her stop. But the shocks have been working so well that I figure if any time she takes a step into the room with the catbox I shock her, she will eventually stop.
AFM #676

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #11
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Lol for tags you just put @SafetyPaws thats it.

Actually the other night we were passing around the shock collar putting it up to our necks and barking at it. It was actually quite fun.

This dog was my grandpas dog before he committed suicide with donuts, when she lived there he would feed them everything he ate by dropping it on the ground, burgers, chicken, everything. She would pee and **** in the house and she was a disgusting mess. She was fat as hell, I'd say a good 25-30lbs, shes now about 12-15lbs. She would also always bark all the time. This dog never had a lick of training all her life. I've trained my other dogs quite well but this one there is just no hope for. It's like shes got ADD or something. I'm considering buying a shock collar with a remote to get her to stop other behaviors. Most notably, eating cat **** out of the catbox, shes the only one of my dogs that still does it. She will go in there when she thinks I'm not looking and grab a juicy nugget. Honestly I have no idea how to make her stop. But the shocks have been working so well that I figure if any time she takes a step into the room with the catbox I shock her, she will eventually stop.
how old is the the dog, im glad she got her diet back. If you dont mind me asking, grampa commit suicide with diabetes(i hope)? as for being taizerd(spelling?) is quite fun, ive been tasered twice in my life willing, it was an awesome feeling. The jolts running through your body, i was able to feel it every where. Very awakening feeling. Electric fences are also fun, HS coaches farm = fun trips. The shock collar are potent for a training tool i would use, try a clicker instead, all you need to do is break their focus - shocker is just lazy mans versions. you could teach an old dog new tricks, or non training dog for that matter. my lab was rescue and he was wild, he would charge at everything and was like typical bad dog in movies, like marley from marley in me, just a wonderful menace. He knows who the alpha is, without abuse, common argument nature vs nurture, feared vs loved.

for the cat litter, i dont know how this will effect the cat going to the bathroom, but Hotsauce never fails, even with my lab who eats everything outside, (still trying to break that, sticks, leaves, small pebbles). First time you give her hotsauce if u have not, record it its great. If she likes it, go for Red Hot Extra Hot, or regular Tabasco or Habenero is what i use. I spray my own concoction of hot peppers / sauce in the garbage when we throw away bones, chocolate or other dog toxins in the garbage. If the cat isnt bothered by it it should work. Even buy some habeneros from meijer, grab one fresh one, cut it and instead of scooped the cat poo out, rub habenero on it and leave it in there. Your dog will learn. and peppers are harmless, besides the heat from the capsicum that they don't like, they are actually quite healthy for em. Excuse my spelling.

let me know how that works, id try the rubbin hot pepper on it first so the cat wont not use the box any more.

Old June 11th, 2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea gramps was an idiot, gave his house to a hooker too, dumbass.

The peppers are a good idea which I may use for future situations but I think a remote shock collar would be best because I am lazy. She also has more habits I want to train her to stop doing, such as, attacking the cat, attacking other dogs when they play, constantly licking my boxer's eyes (he hates it but he is a pussy and she will do it for hours if we don't stop her). So yea, remote shock collar, the cure all
AFM #676

Old June 12th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #13
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Name: E

Motorcycle(s): 2011 GIXXER 600

so you have a dog... and it barks... well thats normal, even if it barks all the time... dogs bark

if you dont like dogs barking, then dont own a dog!!!!
no animal should be electrocuted for talking

sorry, i strongly oppose shock collars

Old June 12th, 2012, 12:34 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5.0 View Post
so you have a dog... and it barks... well thats normal, even if it barks all the time... dogs bark

I would like to give her away, no one wants her
AFM #676

Old June 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM   #15
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5.0 View Post

Actually, dogs are pack animals. The leader of the pack 'trains' them not to do things on a regular basis. I don't know that much about shock collars, but I think it is a little over the top to say that if your dog barks all of the time nothing can be done about it. It is simply untrue.

If I had a dog that barked all of the time, keeping my neighbors up at all hours, I'd have to do something about it. First, I'd try training them not to bark. If that didn't work, as a last resort I'd use a shock collar. Better a shock collar than the dog pound where he/she will likely be euthanized.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #16
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Actually, dogs are pack animals. The leader of the pack 'trains' them not to do things on a regular basis. I don't know that much about shock collars, but I think it is a little over the top to say that if your dog barks all of the time nothing can be done about it. It is simply untrue.

If I had a dog that barked all of the time, keeping my neighbors up at all hours, I'd have to do something about it. First, I'd try training them not to bark. If that didn't work, as a last resort I'd use a shock collar. Better a shock collar than the dog pound where he/she will likely be euthanized.
if the dog barks all the time... it can be illness.. either mental or physical.. shock treatment does not work on people or pets.. there are no kill shelters, rescue mission, medication, ect... but choking or shocking a dog is just f-ing wrong

yes i like animals more then most people

Old June 12th, 2012, 02:09 PM   #17
mustang5.0
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I would like to give her away, no one wants her
i feel ya, being stuck there doesnt help