ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 20th, 2018, 07:17 AM   #1
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Bike sat, cleared carbs, leaking gas from exhaust

Hey everyone! It's been a while since I've been on here - we moved to Florida, started a business, and had a baby!

While my wife was pregnant last year I ended up letting my bike sit for too long without riding. It ran fine and I never had any issues. It's a 2012 250R.

I went to ride it a few months ago, and it started and would idle but died with any throttle. Reading around it seemed like I clogged my carbs by letting it sit too long without fuel stabilizer.

I finally had some time this week to work on it.

I opened up the carbs and poked a paperclip through the hole and cleaned the needles and top part with carb cleaner.

Put it all back together, and it fired up and idled but died with throttle again.

Now it's leaking gasoline from the exhaust, and I don't know where to go from here.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2018, 09:53 AM   #2
taz
????????????????

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250, 14 ninja 300, 09 1125CR

MOTM - May '17
looks like you need ducatimans help, he does it better than any one we know around.
taz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 20th, 2018, 03:44 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Hi and welcome back.

At very least, you need to replace float valves as they aren't sealing. Will also have to disassemble carbs further for deeper cleaning.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317977

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; July 22nd, 2018 at 05:55 PM. Reason: fixed links
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2018, 04:14 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I opened up the carbs and poked a paperclip through the hole and cleaned the needles and top part with carb cleaner.
The hole? There are many passages to run wires through. Agreed, Ducatiman is the one to help.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Hi and welcome back.

At very least, you need to replace float valves as they aren't sealing. Will also have to disassemble carbs further for deeper cleaning.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show....php?p=1220058
Thanks, this is turning into much more of a project than I'd anticipated. Doing some more reading now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
The hole? There are many passages to run wires through. Agreed, Ducatiman is the one to help.
I'm referring to the hole on the top, after removing the top covers and taking out the rubber boot. The one the needle under the spring sits in.

Old July 20th, 2018, 11:04 PM   #6
MakoMoto
Ninja 250r Noob

Name: Mako

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Another vote for Ducatiman here and I will tell you why.

I let my bike sit for about two years and had the same issue of dirty carbs. Came here and was told about Ducatiman.

Now, poking through the holes won't help much with dirty dirty carbs. You need more. Duc has the tools and tech necessary to clean them good. I mailed him my carbs, he did his magic, I paid a small price (less than a half of what I was quoted by 3 shops near me) and he sent them back. Took less than a week for me. While he had them I did the other things that needed to be done on the bike. I installed my freshly cleaned carbs and have ridden everyday over 45 degrees since. At this point you are best off to have them done right and like new and then it's on you to keep em that way. I highly recommend.

Old July 21st, 2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

JacRyann, it's time for your detailed photos of what to clean.

Steve, is your board name a reference to Player Piano? (only a wild guess)

Old July 22nd, 2018, 06:02 PM   #8
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Thanks, this is turning into much more of a project than I'd anticipated. Doing some more reading now.

I'm referring to the hole on the top, after removing the top covers and taking out the rubber boot. The one the needle under the spring sits in.
Ah.. that's needle-jet. Smaller holes in jets underneath feeding it is even more important because they're source of fuel that mists up needle-jet. And even more important is fuel-circuits feeding those smaller jets. Here's what you gotta do:

You'll want to disassemble carbs down to individual components for thorough cleaning of each part:

Take apart emulsion tube into constituent parts: main jet, holder, needle jet collar. Note how needle-jet collar is oriented so you can re-assemble later same way. Unscrew pilot jet being careful to not lose spring, washer and O-ring. Might as well replace O-ring, float-bowl seals and float-valves.

Then use soft copper wire of various diameters to poke through all tiny bleed holes in all parts. Some people use guitar string to floss out secret passages in carburetor body. Blow compressed air through all circuits and verify you've got air coming out other end. Even better to soda-blast them.

If you can, use ultrasonic cleaner with 100% solution of KrudKutter for 12-hours. Thoroughly rinse with distilled water and dry. Don't get any cleaners on rubber diaphragm of slides. Measure and set float-levels when re-assembling. Set pilot-screws at 2.0-2.5 turns out. All this is perhaps maybe 30-40% of refurb job ducatiman does.

Here's good site for working on carbs: http://www.vulcangadgets.com/files/keihin_carb.html

You'll also need to floss out hidden secrete passages with various gauges of copper wire, fishing-line, guitar strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kindof hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit
Doesn't matter how clear holes are in your jets, if fuel's not reaching them, your carbs aren't working right.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2018, 07:04 AM   #9
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Steve, is your board name a reference to Player Piano? (only a wild guess)
No, it was my artist name when I was releasing music. Not much time for that anymore!

Thanks for the help everyone. This has turned into a far bigger project than I was expecting!

Old July 26th, 2018, 09:57 AM   #10
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Ah, I see your signature now. The URL isn't working at the moment though.