ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 27th, 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

Can wind tip over our ninjettes?

Since there is a high wind advisory notice for California I was worried about my bike parked out there on the curb.

The wind is blowing like crazy where I live and whenever a strong wind blows here and there, I am constantly checking outside to see if my bike is alright. Is anyone else worried about this?

If not, I am just curious of how strong of a wind is needed to tip over a motorcycle.

Edit: Okay, I checked weather.com and it tells me they are 20 mph winds, so I am not too worried anymore because I think 20 mph winds are too severe or are they?

For your time: Emmy Rossum

00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I had an EX-500 blown over on its side in a very strong windstorm - winds of 100+kph.

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Yup. My 570ish lb BMW has been blown over in a windstorm. If at all possible, park it so the stronger wind will be blowing it to the left (into the sidestand), rather than having it be able to lift the bike and slam it down on the right side.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #4
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

We had 25mph wind here today.... I rode it all the way to and from work on the freeway. I think it is fun.... told people I sailed to work

Good questions BTW. I have wondered the same, and am frankly surprised it was so easy to find people who have personally had their bikes blown over.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2009, 10:53 PM   #5
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

^-- I even ran into this guy and we sailed towards our homes together for about 5 minutes.

I'm kinda worried about it. I'm ditching the garage at my apartments since I'm tired of $75 a month. So outside parking with a cover for me.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 01:22 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Would parking parallel behind your car help? I'd imagine that even wind blowing against it would hit a high-pressure area and mostly sail over the bike AND the car.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 02:52 AM   #7
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Mine blew over the first night I put a cover on it. It was windy but no storm. Since then I've been more careful and parked in lee side of the house.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I always tried to park mine near a wall. Side stand towards the wall. That always did a good job of making sure it would still be standing the next time I walked up to it. You gotta park it VERY close though.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #9
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

The wind is more likely to tip over your bike if you lowered it because the angle the bike sits is more vertical.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #10
Verus Cidere

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): '91 Honda CBR600 F2

+1 on parking close to a wall. The more windblock you can find, the better. Just park so that your sidestand is right next to the windblock and any wind that's around won't make it to that side, thus your bike will stand!

Old October 28th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #11
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Quote:
Originally Posted by islanderman7 View Post
The wind is more likely to tip over your bike if you lowered it because the angle the bike sits is more vertical.
That's if you lowered the bike and kept the stock side stand. If you switch to the RoaringToyz side stand, or shorten the stock one, the bike will have a much more noticeable lean angle.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #12
mike_sema
ninjette.org guru

Name: mike

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Man the winds yesterday were insane here in Tucson AZ wind was reported at 25-40 mph, I rode to work and found it to be no big thing but on the way home at 3:00 it was a different story all to gether I literally got blown from the fare left lane to the fare right lane there was nothing I could do about it but think to my self what a retard I was for ridding to work with an high wind advisory in affect and how lucky I am that their was no one in the other two lanes

Old October 29th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #13
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

I was looking at the RS125 on display at the local Duc and Aprilia dealership the other day and noticed it had some fairing damage from where it looked like it had been laid down. I asked the dealer what had happened, for my sick sense of humor hoping to hear that some dumbass was messing around on it. Turns out a small gust of wind picked the damn bike up off the ground about a month ago, doesn't suprise me though it only weighs like 250lbs.

So I have no doubt it can happen to a ninja as well.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM   #14
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeldren View Post
I was looking at the RS125 on display at the local Duc and Aprilia dealership the other day and noticed it had some fairing damage from where it looked like it had been laid down. I asked the dealer what had happened, for my sick sense of humor hoping to hear that some dumbass was messing around on it. Turns out a small gust of wind picked the damn bike up off the ground about a month ago, doesn't suprise me though it only weighs like 250lbs.

So I have no doubt it can happen to a ninja as well.
Those are some nice-looking little bikes. It's a shame they aren't street-legal.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote