ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 19th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #1
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Ninja 500 opinions?

So I've been looking around on Craigslist while waiting for new goodies to come in for my 250. I've came across a good bit of 500's in decent shape for good prices.

Now I know they're not the best looking bikes but I feel a 500 would be great to have sitting next to my 250 in my garage, maybe nostalgic purposes.

So has anyone owned/ridden the older 500's and can offer up a comparison to the 250? Obviously they're not quite as docile and they're bigger an heavier, but any thing similiar between the 2? I'd imagine sitting and ridig a 500 is more so like a more comfortable SS or maybe a bigger version of a 250, are they as friendly in the corners as the 250's?

Lets hear it!
Oh, and thanks
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 01:58 PM   #2
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've ridden my friend's 500R. It felt just like the 250, but a little heavier and with a little more power. Definitely still capable in the twisties, but a little less high strung at highway speeds than the 250.

It's a nice bike for doing whatever you want it to do, just like the 250 Other than that, I couldn't find any real glaring issues from the 30 minutes of riding it.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #3
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I've ridden my friend's 500R. It felt just like the 250, but a little heavier and with a little more power. Definitely still capable in the twisties, but a little less high strung at highway speeds than the 250.

It's a nice bike for doing whatever you want it to do, just like the 250 Other than that, I couldn't find any real glaring issues from the 30 minutes of riding it.
I just sold mine yesterday after 12,000 miles and I think your 30 minutes got you spot on. One thing I disagree on is the 250 is a lot better in the twisties. The 300 is better still.

Two other things, one is I went through back tiers twice as fast on the 500 (literally). Second thing is the 500 was a lot easier to get going on cold mornings. It does have a chock wish is a pain IMHO.
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #4
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I just sold mine yesterday after 12,000 miles and I think your 30 minutes got you spot on. One thing I disagree on is the 250 is a lot better in the twisties. The 300 is better still.
Why do you think the 250 is better than the 500 in the twisties?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:11 PM   #5
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Two things. 1) is it is lighter and therefor more flickable and B) I ran the 250 at higher revs so engine braking was better witch gave me more confidence diving into a turn.

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:34 PM   #6
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
full discloser: I put 11,000 miles on my 250 when this happened

Old January 19th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #7
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 03 ninja 250

Some good info, basically the bikes look big and linky which is what I didn't expect it to handle like. Ill keep a close eye on the Craigslist posts after reading this.
02337 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I'd own one. Still love the looks, even after all these years....

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Tl;dr It's a really great bike, basically a bigger 250 with twice the power

I've got a bit over 20k on my 500 (not putting so many miles on this winter, its been very cold and icy but I ride when I can) and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It's got its quirks as I'm sure the 250 does, and being a budget bike you get the same kind of thing as a 250, brakes, suspension, etc do the job but they aren't great. That's the thing, it's a great all rounder kind of bike, does everything decently well but not great at anything. Mine still starts after sitting for a few days in 20 degree weather (battery tender plugged in of course) it takes a little bit of choke work and some patience but its never not started on me. when its warmer out (60-70+) it starts easy with no choke. It's a very reliable bike and is easy to work on, I did a chain replacement, oil change, carb sync and valve adjustment on it this summer and it was all my first work. As for gas mileage and tires, well in the winter I get 45mpg and about 55 in the summer for mixed city/highway. On long highway rides I average 65mpg with my highest being 68, cruising between 70-90 mph so I'd say that's pretty damn good. I ride very aggressively too, often going to 7-11k from stop lights and full throttle getting on the highway. I run avon roadrider tires and I got 10,000 on my rear before it needed replacement, now it has 11,000 and is getting really bald but still holds traction even in the wet (got a new tire sitting in my bedroom just haven't put it on) and the same amount of mileage is on my front tire and its got at least 50% tread left. The tires have NEVER lost traction in the rain or going through any turns and as I said I do ride aggressively. In terms of power, its roughly twice as powerful as the 250 in terms of torque and hp, I've never felt like I didn't have enough power and it can haul some ass, not like a 600+ or even a 650 but more than enough to have you doing double the limit in 4-5 seconds if that's what you want it to do. That's my ninja 500 experience, all in all a really great bike and I recommend it if you want something a little bit bigger and more comfortable than the 250 for a nice price. Also, the bike does quite well with a passenger.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:42 PM   #10
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
On long highway rides I average 65mpg with my highest being 68, cruising between 70-90 mph so I'd say that's pretty damn good.
Uhhh, no offense, but I really don't believe that 65mpg you're quoting

Even with a stock intake/exhaust on my ninjette and some needle shimming, I was averaging about 62 mpg. That's a mix of commuting/highway/pleasure riding, and no consistent 80+ speeds.

Old January 19th, 2013, 11:20 PM   #11
tfkrocks

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Uhhh, no offense, but I really don't believe that 65mpg you're quoting

Even with a stock intake/exhaust on my ninjette and some needle shimming, I was averaging about 62 mpg. That's a mix of commuting/highway/pleasure riding, and no consistent 80+ speeds.
I dunno about average, but I've hit 65+ mpg at least a few times with mostly highway miles. I might also be horribly inconsistent with filling the tank
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

The best I could muster on my old GS500 was low 50's. I averaged around upper to mid 40's.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #13
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
I've ridden my friend's 500R. It felt just like the pregen 250,
Fixed it for ya. It doesn't feel like the newer 250s at all.

I had an EX500. The Ninja 500 was not any different except for a mild restyle of the front cowl.

It had 80s styling and 80s ergos. Very different feeling from my newgen Ninjette.

The seat was terrible for long rides, at least for me. The edges of the pan fell right under my sit bones (points of the pelvis). I have no issues at all with the newgen seat.

I did like the bike a lot. Just the right amount of power for my needs… not enough to get you into stupid trouble, enough to have some fun with.

Would I buy another one? Probably not. I like the style and ergos of newer bikes better.

Would I buy a refreshed bike with the same motor? You bet.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #14
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
I got 48 mpg on my 250 and 53 mpg on my 500 riding 2/3s highway miles

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Fixed it for ya. It doesn't feel like the newer 250s at all.
The pregen and newgen are pretty much identical in ergos. Go sit on them back to back. The seat is way different, but the reach to the bars and pegs is the same.

My comparison at the time was a totally stock pregen. My comment of it feeling similar to the 250 was in the feeling of power delivery and handling and general good at everything feeling. Same with the 650R; it feels just like a bigger 250 but has totally different handlebars and footpegs. I didn't really consider that in "how it felt" because I was only thinking in terms of how it handles itself.

Don't hate on the pregen They're very nice little bikes once you remedy the suspension a little bit. ...and brakes. and bars/pegs. and tires. aand... well, a lot of things need improved upon

Old January 20th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I dunno about average, but I've hit 65+ mpg at least a few times with mostly highway miles. I might also be horribly inconsistent with filling the tank
Maybe the inconsistency at highway speeds is because the 250 engine is working so hard to keep speed. This might be a case of the engine being under so much load and so many rpm's that it's not as efficient.

I still think quoting 65 average is pretty unrealistic. I'd say 50 or so for mixed riding is more realistic.

Old January 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Ugly-ass bike.

Wait til april and see what the CBR500s are like. Better looking wheels, fairings and updated tech.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #18
KawiKid860

Wink

Quote:
I still think quoting 65 average is pretty unrealistic. I'd say 50 or so for mixed riding is more realistic.
I figured you guys wouldn't believe those numbers but I'm being honest. Might be a little bit off because I'm not perfect and I can't fill the gas tank up exactly the same amount every time but the discrepancy wouldn't be more than .2 of a gallon. I also said I get about 55 mixed, but that's probably my pride being optimistic so 50-53 is more likely. Granted that's riding the crap out of it, maybe my bikes just magic. Now that it's been brought to my attention, for longer rides my butt starts to hurt with the stock seat so I have to stand up on the bike and stretch every now and then.

Quote:
Ugly-ass bike.

Wait til april and see what the CBR500s are like. Better looking wheels, fairings and updated tech.
I'm sure the MSRP on the CBR500 will be somewhere close to the $2,000 you can pick up a Ninja 500 for not to mention over 20 years of time to prove reliability and an endless amount of parts if something does go wrong.

Okay I'll admit I am a bit biased but its still a really great bike for an easy price

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #19
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post

I'm sure the MSRP on the CBR500 will be somewhere close to the $2,000 you can pick up a Ninja 500 for not to mention over 20 years of time to prove reliability and an endless amount of parts if something does go wrong.

Okay I'll admit I am a bit biased but its still a really great bike for an easy price
It comes down to what you're looking for in the bike itself. OP says nostalgia gets them so the ninja would make more sense if he wants to stick to stronger ninjas for cheap.

For me, though, my next bike is going to be an upgrade. Newer, faster, stronger. It'll be hard-pressed finding a low-milage well-tended running stock ninja 500.

But by all means, yes it will be cheaper.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2013, 07:47 PM   #20
KawiKid860

Dunno where you live but theres a toooon of low mileage 500s here lol, mines an 04 and had 6500 miles on it when I got it and the thing was mint. several others with less mileage and usually newer (really doesn't matter with the 500, just indicates how many years its been sitting) but yeah I see your point it is more about what you want and if you can afford it. I wanted an 08+ ninja 250, the way I see it I got the next best thing