ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 1st, 2011, 10:57 PM   #1
Suave
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

How much can these ninjas take?

It has just occurred to me this week that I am now in the habit of shifting around 10k even if I'm just cruising around. I'm not full-throttle-balls-to-the-wall taking off, but I'm not shifting at 5 or 6k like I was told I was supposed to by the previous owner.

I'm curious as to how much abuse these '08 250rs will take. I usually, more than a couple of times a day, just TAKE OFF as fast as possible, redlining it up to 6th gear ( i let off the throttle once I shift into 6th). But yesterday, I was on Pellissippi Parkway and I was coming onto the parkway via ramp about 30mph when this DA civic with ghost flames, lol, decides he will squeeze between me and this truck, forcing me into the shoulder and the truck to have to move as well I immediately downshift and catch up to the guy and he wants to race. bottomline, I ended up redlining it for a good 30 seconds in 6th gear on the main stretch of the race (hit 115mph on a slight hill). When I got off the highway I was just thinking about how I would never do that in my car, and wondered if my bike couldn't handle stuff like that; not that stuff like that happens often, but I do revv it purty high sometimes

Basically, I'm asking if I should cool it on the high RPMs or if it is okay with these.

P.S. I won

Old July 1st, 2011, 11:24 PM   #2
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

I live in the 10XXX+ rpms on my 08...she likes it there! I just hit 10,000 miles as well!!!
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2011, 11:31 PM   #3
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

On the racetrack, that's all I run - high RPMs constantly, redlines, hard shifting. baby handles it just fine.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:07 AM   #4
Suave
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
I live in the 10XXX+ rpms on my 08...she likes it there! I just hit 10,000 miles as well!!!
this is comforting to hear lol, im hoping after my exhaust, jets, filters etc... get here I wont have to revv it so much

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:16 AM   #5
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2009 GF500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
It has just occurred to me this week that I am now in the habit of shifting around 10k even if I'm just cruising around. I'm not full-throttle-balls-to-the-wall taking off, but I'm not shifting at 5 or 6k like I was told I was supposed to by the previous owner.

I'm curious as to how much abuse these '08 250rs will take. I usually, more than a couple of times a day, just TAKE OFF as fast as possible, redlining it up to 6th gear ( i let off the throttle once I shift into 6th). But yesterday, I was on Pellissippi Parkway and I was coming onto the parkway via ramp about 30mph when this DA civic with ghost flames, lol, decides he will squeeze between me and this truck, forcing me into the shoulder and the truck to have to move as well I immediately downshift and catch up to the guy and he wants to race. bottomline, I ended up redlining it for a good 30 seconds in 6th gear on the main stretch of the race (hit 115mph on a slight hill). When I got off the highway I was just thinking about how I would never do that in my car, and wondered if my bike couldn't handle stuff like that; not that stuff like that happens often, but I do revv it purty high sometimes

Basically, I'm asking if I should cool it on the high RPMs or if it is okay with these.

P.S. I won
Hey Suave, you weren't to suave do it that. What the hell were you thinking
by racing against a cage? 115 mph? You shouldn't be riding a motorcycle
in my opinion, wait a few years until you're more mature. Consider yourself
lucky by not getting in a accident at that speed, keep do in it and your
number will be up. 2 riders lost their life in my area 3 weeks ago, they were
going 100 mph. That's all people were talking about for days, how motorcycle riders endanger others on the rode. Guys like you give us a bad reputation, think about that next time.
rickyny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:17 AM   #6
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Might as well start looking at the sprocket threads too.

Dont worry about the lil ninjette. She'll take more than you can dish out.
3000+ miles on the track with mine. AND Still kicking strong.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:35 AM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
p.s. you lost.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:43 AM   #8
Suave
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyny View Post
going 100 mph. That's all people were talking about for days, how motorcycle riders endanger others on the rode. Guys like you give us a bad reputation, think about that next time.
Thanks for your concern Ricky, that isn't something I just do cruising to work everyday. It was a straight line with barriers on each side of the road, saw maybe 2 cars on the way home, 1am, street lights; looked clear so I took the plunge. It's not like I did it on a crowded highway weaving through traffic while throwing rocks at cars; I've never done or attempted a wheelie or stoppie, dont follow close and avoid people that follow too close to me. Given there are people out there doing 150+ I wouldnt be so concerned about ME giving anyone a bad reputation. especially since (no exaggeration) everyone that travels that HWY goes 85+, usually 90 anyway since there is no space for police to radar; i wasnt exactly doing much over the ordinary speed.

Though it is what it is I guess, im not going to justify it; sure it wasn't "mature". But I'm comfortable with whatever maturity level I have, I've raced once with nobody around in the month that I've had my bike; I think that's pretty good. I'm personally not concerned with anyone telling me motorcyclists endanger people, like people who drive fast on motorcycles are any more dangerous than people who drive fast in full-sized vehicles.

*Sorry if anyone finds this thread offensive or puts them off; I didn't intend on that

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:53 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
I'm personally not concerned with anyone
boy you sure said it!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:01 AM   #10
Suave
ninjette.org member

Do know what the phrase "taken out of context" means?

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
no?

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:05 AM   #12
Suave
ninjette.org member

Then I probably shouldn't be too concerned with your opinion.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM   #13
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
next time be sure to take video, at least they'll know why you crashed when they're scooping you up. maybe wise to lose the invincibility complex. it ain't a cage.

don't get me wrong, i've had my bouts of road rage. but being proud of it is not very smart.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:11 AM   #14
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

OK, put the keyboards down everyone. Let's just chill out some. Everyone has moments were we do something stupid, it's called human nature. Every once in a while we as humans doing something for a thrill factor without even thinking about it. Just all of a sudden before you realize what you are doing you are caught up in the moment of something. Then when the thrill starts to come down you reflect back and go "holy crap, what did I just do? good lord that was stupid, fun, but stupid." Let's stop trying to be so ultra critical of others exploits please?

To the OP: these bikes were designed to be in the high revs and can dish it out quite a bit. In fact they seem to like it.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:33 AM   #15
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks for your concern Ricky, that isn't something I just do cruising to work everyday. It was a straight line with barriers on each side of the road, saw maybe 2 cars on the way home, 1am, street lights; looked clear so I took the plunge. It's not like I did it on a crowded highway weaving through traffic while throwing rocks at cars; I've never done or attempted a wheelie or stoppie, dont follow close and avoid people that follow too close to me. Given there are people out there doing 150+ I wouldnt be so concerned about ME giving anyone a bad reputation. especially since (no exaggeration) everyone that travels that HWY goes 85+, usually 90 anyway since there is no space for police to radar; i wasnt exactly doing much over the ordinary speed.

Though it is what it is I guess, im not going to justify it; sure it wasn't "mature". But I'm comfortable with whatever maturity level I have, I've raced once with nobody around in the month that I've had my bike; I think that's pretty good. I'm personally not concerned with anyone telling me motorcyclists endanger people, like people who drive fast on motorcycles are any more dangerous than people who drive fast in full-sized vehicles.

*Sorry if anyone finds this thread offensive or puts them off; I didn't intend on that
Suave you said it in your post, the guy in the civic almost takes you out
when you came into the parkway and you decide to catch up to him, man I would have stay the F*ck back from this idiot, what if he was drunk?
Next time something like this happens, just take a deep breath man, if you crash doing 115 mph your done, doesn't matter if your wearing a jacket, motorcycle pants and boots. As to you not being concern of people thinking
we shouldn't be on the rode? You should be, I'm pretty sure you want to keep
riding for years to come, without politicians trying to pass laws to make it
harder for us to ride.
You didn't offend me man, I know your thread was to ask how much can the ninjas take and here I am giving you unsolicited advice on your riding, I just don't want to hear more news about fellow riders losing their life's. If you find that you love going very fast, try to find a track in your area.. is fun.
Stay safe.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:37 AM   #16
Suave
ninjette.org member

Thank you mike. Yea I kind of felt attacked there lol. Nobody asked me if I was proud of it- im not, was just having fun telling the story. And I by no means have an invincibility complex, it is just has he said, when you get caught up in the thrill... When I had that "what am I doing" thought, I got off the highway.

Anyway thank you guys for the high rev imput, I was worried I was hurting my baby!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:58 AM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
She's not hurt. She'll take it and like it!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:41 AM   #18
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Pelladega Parkway is what the locals call it.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:19 AM   #19
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

I wish mine would do 115mph

Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:09 AM   #20
clintalmighty
ninjette.org member

Name: Clint

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r 2009 Honda CBR600RR

mine makes a ringing noise at high rpms so i usually back off and shift at 8k
clintalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:40 AM   #21
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
and she'll always want to be ridden again, no matter how hard you rode her last time.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 07:32 AM   #22
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Ricky, I don't disagree with your opinion, but you may wish to consider how you present it and what that might do to promote healthy discussion. We do a great job here of discussing our viewpoints in ways that civilly raise issues and concerns. Your valid point about the safety of racing on the street might be better received and achieve a better result, both with the OP and with others, if your tone was respectful. Posts including stuff like "guys like you" and "you shouldn't be riding" and slights against someone's maturity are going to get people pretty upset with you, including those like me who agree with you on safety, and focus threads away from topic towards the form of discussion. (Like this post )

On topic, the ninjettes are meant for high revs, no doubt. But I can't help but think that constant redlining is going to reduce the life of the engine. The engine is just working much harder at 13k RPMs than at 7k. Racing engines just don't last for the same 50k-70k miles you'd get out of babying your bike. They still last a long time, and it may be worth it to work the bike hard just to get more out of it rather than be gentle all the time, but I can't imagine it doesn't take something out of the bike in the long run. Will it cut engine life by 1/4? 1/2? 3/4? Beats me.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:24 AM   #23
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
and she'll always want to be ridden again, no matter how hard you rode her last time.

No Comment!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:27 AM   #24
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Ricky, I don't disagree with your opinion, but you may wish to consider how you present it and what that might do to promote healthy discussion. We do a great job here of discussing our viewpoints in ways that civilly raise issues and concerns. Your valid point about the safety of racing on the street might be better received and achieve a better result, both with the OP and with others, if your tone was respectful. Posts including stuff like "guys like you" and "you shouldn't be riding" and slights against someone's maturity are going to get people pretty upset with you, including those like me who agree with you on safety, and focus threads away from topic towards the form of discussion. (Like this post )

On topic, the ninjettes are meant for high revs, no doubt. But I can't help but think that constant redlining is going to reduce the life of the engine. The engine is just working much harder at 13k RPMs than at 7k. Racing engines just don't last for the same 50k-70k miles you'd get out of babying your bike. They still last a long time, and it may be worth it to work the bike hard just to get more out of it rather than be gentle all the time, but I can't imagine it doesn't take something out of the bike in the long run. Will it cut engine life by 1/4? 1/2? 3/4? Beats me.
well said, kind sir.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM   #25
rickyny
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You're right Floyd, writing "guys like you" doesn't sound very friendly. I
guess I'm still upset for all the bs I was given everywhere I went on my bike
after those 2 riders lost their lives. Not too many people here like motorcycle
riders, and after that accidents, well there's a lot less now.
I'll be more respectful next time.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 08:57 AM   #26
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ex250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyny View Post
Yeah, He should think about giving someone else a bad name next time he hops on his bike.

I'm tired of hearing people talking about how squids give those holier than thou riders a bad image. (Sorry if this comes off as Offensive Ricky, I don't intend it to. Just woke up and don't care to elaborate or lengthen my thoughts at the moment).
bettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:19 AM   #27
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
You bring up some good points there for discussion. If we are talking about actual racing engines, I don't believe they are built to last that long at all (relatively) and they often get rebuilt once or more before they are completely junked for parts. Using a production built engine and racing it is I guess really the question. I'd agree that constant redlining and running it close to it's theoretical limits introduces a lot of physical stress which would probably shorten the life span on these hardy engines.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:25 AM   #28
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by almost40 View Post
Might as well start looking at the sprocket threads too.
x2 of that

It will lengthen the gears and lower your rpm's... from stock of 14/45 I'm now running 15/42 and 75mph is 7500rpm on our 2008 that has a pipe and jet kit. Our 2011 has only been shimmed and we run 15/45 on that one, 75mph is around apx 8200.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:40 AM   #29
almost40

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by slolane View Post
x2 of that

It will lengthen the gears and lower your rpm's... from stock of 14/45 I'm now running 15/42 and 75mph is 7500rpm on our 2008 that has a pipe and jet kit. Our 2011 has only been shimmed and we run 15/45 on that one, 75mph is around apx 8200.
What the hell right?? Another 30 bucks and your done.

To the other point going in this thread.

Want to NOT be associated with the squid population in your area.
GEAR UP. Squids dont wear any.
Ask a cop. They can spot a squid coming down the road for that sole reason.

Look at it this way
When you see a group of Harleys going down the road and they all have bandanas and are wearing the dirty club jacket. What do you think??? BIKERS---the kind you dont mess with.
Same bikes, same group, all wearing expensive gear and helmets What do you think??? Motorcyclist-------- without a death wish.
Same principal in sportbikes.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM   #30
almost40

Quote:
Take care of your motor and it will take care of you.

Remember that the rev limiter was at one point 14,500-15,000 on these motors. (old gen) Kawi enginers found that after 14,000 rpm the oiling system cant keep up and moved the rev limiter down to 13,500 rpm
These motors have been tested by thousands upon thousands of riders in all conditions......................... Perfected, if I may.

I would bet on maybe a 10% loss in life. AT MOST.

Kinda like a small block chevy. The lower end will stay together forever and keep on running as long as you keep good oil in it and dont overheat it.
For you Ford fans Its like a 9 inch rear end. Everybody that knows.......knows the 9 inch Ford is the poooooooooo and you cant destroy them.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 09:55 AM   #31
onetruevibe
Love Rival

Name: Brian

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
No Comment!
Chicken.

Just don't put her away wet. That's where she draws the line.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:22 AM   #32
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Quote:
Wish I could say the same for my girlfriend
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM   #33
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
and if she tries to buck you off, just hang on and enjoy the ride

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:33 AM   #34
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
ayeee. one too many beers last night. sorry for my poor behavior. still racing on streets especially with a cage is a bad idea.

everything on the 250 loves revs except the vibrating clutch lever. she'll take it and ask for more.

side note-
is it not possible to talk about this subject without it sounding like sex? wth!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:41 AM   #35
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
side note-
is it not possible to talk about this subject without it sounding like sex? wth!
What are you? A sex Nazi? <Insert Godwin's Law here>

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:54 PM   #36
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

That's how she likes it, you ride her,you hold her, you feel her between your legs, you hear her scream when you're hitting the redline, it's like a drug, and that's how she likes it. (I remember the 1st time I hit her redline, I had this smile/grin in my face, and boy that was fun hehe)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM   #37
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

I have a pre-gen, comes with 14k rpm redline, marked 13k for some reason some years back. (no changes were made) The bike is designed and made to be revved up constantly, which is why many people didn't take to the bike. I ride mine the way it was designed and my engine loves it, these little ninjettes will take cages off the line forever but not if you're idling her and shifting it like it's made of glass. The engine won't last as long as mine either, not even close, as long as I keep up with my Golden Spectro and Uni filters she will live on long after yours has been bogged down to death. Peace, IMHO as well.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 04:10 PM   #38
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Gotta red line for a good time!
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #39
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
No Comment!
LOL! Glad to see you got the point!

Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #40
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruevibe View Post
Chicken.

Just don't put her away wet. That's where she draws the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
That's how she likes it, you ride her,you hold her, you feel her between your legs, you hear her scream when you're hitting the redline, it's like a drug, and that's how she likes it. (I remember the 1st time I hit her redline, I had this smile/grin in my face, and boy that was fun hehe)
LMFAO! Seriously, I literally just lmfao!