ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:18 AM   #1
paulforaname
ninjette.org member

Name: Paulie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

need advice on brake pads front

Hi all,

well it was time for a front brake pad change, so i called my local motorcycle dealership (they sell etc kawi, suzuki, yama and honda) and called up and asked for some front pads for my 08 ninja 250, well i wasnt specific as didnt ask for any specific type, Well popped in today and pick up and they sold me some SBS ceramic street, part # 638HF pads. I fitted them when i got home and went for a ride and they dont seem to bite aswell as the old pads ( not sure what type) now i know they may take a bit to wear in but are these pads any good for the front?

cheers all
paulforaname is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

It does take a few miles for the pads to break in, so they won't feel as good immediately out of the gate. But - I'm not sure if that compound is a sintered pad or not (not sure if Ceramic means that). Looking at the SBS product catalog, #638 is offered in two compounds, HF and HS; HF is the least aggressive and most street-oriented.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:33 AM   #3
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

I just installed some Kevlar pads I got off Ebay. Stay away from these...they SUCK. Compound feels way too soft. I've put about 100 miles on them, and my old pads would stop circles around them. The one advantage they have is that they're way more quiet, but that's not as important as good stopping power. I'm going back to sintered.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM   #4
paulforaname
ninjette.org member

cheers Alex, yeah i know they take abit to bed in etc but I didnt think they would feel like this. I assumed maybe more bitey at first.. I rode to work this morning with the brake slightly on ,(front) to help bed in abit but then could smell the pads so stoppped. Also when ive needed to brake Ive been lightly applying pressure even more than when braking normally (ie gradually applying more pressure. then when almost at work 15 mins into ride had to brake agressively and was quite suprised as they pulled me up very quickly.. maybe all ok but was aliitle unsure i had the right pads as everyone mentioned HH pads where these are HF..well only $45 bucks, if not happy after 2 months might invest in a HH pair just that i ride quite agressive aswell. I have to keep reminding myself that its the street and not the island..lol

Old December 6th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #5
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Kevlar is the WORST kind of pad to buy. Ceramic is the next worse kind of pad to by.
Sintered Metal, HH rated is the only kind you should ever consider for front use. Ceramic will work for rear use as long as you don't use the rear much.

I believe that aramid (Kevlar) is sometime considered an "organic" pad, even though it's a sythetic plasitc, because it was used to replace the less healthy organic pads like Asbestos.
Stay away from all of that.

Vesrah makes the best pads by far IMHO. EBC are good too--honestly, anything with an HH rating will be good for the bike, anything without an HH rating increases your risk of death.

Old December 6th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #6
94fiveohvert
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r, crf 50

i went ahead and ordered factory pads from cheapcycleparts.com
I was happy with factory pads. they lasted 5500 miles.
94fiveohvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #7
vkuchhal
ninjette.org member

Name: vibhor

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r -2010

I think the OEM pads are the best ones, as one of my friend told that N250 has the best brakes of all the bike available till date and i also feel the same.. the bit and braking is tooo good..

The my bikes front and rear lasted me 20000 kms and i use me bike for daily commuting purpose...
vkuchhal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #8
Rexbo
CVMA / AFM / M1GP #250

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r, 2011 Zero S, 2009 KLR 650

The oem pads are plenty good, the galfer HH pads weren't too bad either on the street, but as skippi said the vesrah pads are best. And they're cheap through Matt at sportisi
Posted via Mobile Device
Rexbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 01:21 PM   #9
kenji_808
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 CT Blue 250R(Sold), 2008 Black & Silver Honda CBR600RR(Current)

just a little note, if you read the kawi FSM or any other manufacturers SM they always tell you to use the same type/rated brake pads or higher.

If you look on the back side of the oem pads they're HH rated.... iirc the front and rear pads are identical.

i replaced my oems ones after 11000mi for some EBC HH sintered, imo they seem to be better then oem
kenji_808 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #10
paulforaname
ninjette.org member

cheers all,
yeah have order a set of EBC HH sintered pads, even though i must admit the SBS HF pads aren't that bad for street use. Now there bedded in etc , i posted the original post straight after replacing and only went fof ride around block so maybe alittle premature , haven't had a chance to test in the wet...