ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Straighten Fork Tube?

Do y'all think my left fork can be saved? It isn't creased just has a nice bend to it. I am thinking a hydraulic press could make it straight again. But if anyone has any experience with bent fork tubes let me now. I don't want to buy a used left fork off ebay because most look like they are in terrible condition and need to be rebuilt.

If you think it could be straightened where would I take it? Could a auto collision place be able to fix it? Or should I pull out the yellow pages and look for a machine shop?

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
aww its hardly even bent. just find your local machinist and buy them some beer

Old February 2nd, 2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to tech

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Why chance it? Rebuilding them is cheap and not too hard. Get a used one that's straight and start from there. A new fork seal and oil and you're good to go.

Old February 2nd, 2012, 08:03 PM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

You'll need to find someone with a heavy duty press, preferably 20 tons, and an assortment of V-blocks. I would start with local independent motorcycle repair shops.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:42 AM   #6
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

You could, but you could also buy an unbent fork leg for cheap.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:06 AM   #7
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
That can not and should not be repaired.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
That can not and should not be repaired.
Why is this? Just curious. I know it won't be as strong but is that the only reason?

Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Once a hard tube bends it makes the inside of the bend harder and stretches the outside. Holding one side and pushing on the other end will make a sorta z bend. If you put it in a laith and heated the tube and streightened it then re heat treated it and rechromed it would be OK but that would cost money. I should have said it is not worth the cost or risk that is involved in the front fork repair

Old February 3rd, 2012, 10:06 AM   #10
racegunnr
ninjette.org member

Name: shane

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r race bike, 06 R6 race bike, 06 YZ450f Tard

racegunnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Jono

Quote:
Once a hard tube bends it makes the inside of the bend harder and stretches the outside. Holding one side and pushing on the other end will make a sorta z bend. If you put it in a laith and heated the tube and streightened it then re heat treated it and rechromed it would be OK but that would cost money. I should have said it is not worth the cost or risk that is involved in the front fork repair
Alrighty! Thanks for all the info. I will start my ebay search now. Hopefully I can find a straight fork in decent condition for under $100 bucks.

I could buy a right side fork and just take out the top tube and replace my bent one right? They are exactly the same right? Might be a stupid question but just making sure.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 12:10 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
are you saying you dont like fork legs cracking when you hit bumps? wheres your sense of adventure, man!

Old February 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM   #13
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

NO WAY, Have had at least 6 sets fixed. On our race bikes. Racing MX. Lots of force on the legs during landing.
V-blocks, Press, and dial indicator. And patience...all that is needed.

Little shop in Tempe, Az. $20 per leg

Old February 3rd, 2012, 05:22 PM   #14
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

Juno,
I have a set off my '04 250 that are straight and true, and don't need rebuilding! They came off my track day bike that we upgraded to an R1 front. I was trying to post them in the for sale section, but I have not been on the forum long enough. $50.00 plus shipping for both? Let me know if you are interested. You can PM me your Email and I will send you some pic's.
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2012, 07:48 PM   #15
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Why is this? Just curious. I know it won't be as strong but is that the only reason?
Strength won't be affected at all. Fork tubes are mild steel, that bend didn't affect strength, and if anything made it harder. Mild steel doesn't get weaker from mild bends, or any bends for that matter.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM   #16
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckracer View Post
Juno,
I have a set off my '04 250 that are straight and true, and don't need rebuilding! They came off my track day bike that we upgraded to an R1 front. I was trying to post them in the for sale section, but I have not been on the forum long enough. $50.00 plus shipping for both? Let me know if you are interested. You can PM me your Email and I will send you some pic's.
Interested and PM'd!

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
OK I take it back. you can straighten fork tubes.
I guess MX riders do it all the time. But for high speed street riding. The idea makes me cringe. I found a set of forks on E bay for 60 dollars.

But like Jasle said if you have tools and time you can straighten fork tubes. They are mild steel and not hardened.

Old February 3rd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #18
Jono

Quote:
OK I take it back. you can straighten fork tubes.
I guess MX riders do it all the time. But for high speed street riding. The idea makes me cringe. I found a set of forks on E bay for 60 dollars.

But like Jasle said if you have tools and time you can straighten fork tubes. They are mild steel and not hardened.
Yeah I am just going to buy a used fork. I stopped by a local motorcycle dealership after class today and they said not to try and get my bent fork straightened. So with the advice I have been given I decided to go the buy used route.

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #19
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalNinja250 View Post
Mild steel doesn't get weaker from mild bends, or any bends for that matter.
Yes it does. Metal fatigue, work hardening, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Skippii is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2012, 12:35 PM   #20
FrugalNinja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
Yes it does. Metal fatigue, work hardening, etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's not the case with forks, especially these forks. Work hardening is more an issue with certain aluminum alloys and with steels that have more carbon than fork tubes have. Also, it takes significant metal deformation to get noticeable work hardening, as in, you'd have to put a couple three 90 degree bends in the tubes. If the forks are folded back at a right angle I'd agree, don't straighten them.

In the case of this particular set of forks, straightening is a perfectly acceptable option that would not result in any safety hazard.

Then again, maybe everything I learned in school was a lie.

LOL!

I've learned long ago to not confuse the words possible and probable with each other. Too many folks use the concepts interchangeably and as a result experience a lot of purposeless fear.

As to the dealer saying don't straighten them, they want to sell the OP a new set of fork tubes, of course they'll say don't straighten them. That's why I suggested going to independent shops because they're likely to have less of a resale profit motive.

Old February 4th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Jono

Quote:
That's not the case with forks, especially these forks. Work hardening is more an issue with certain aluminum alloys and with steels that have more carbon than fork tubes have. Also, it takes significant metal deformation to get noticeable work hardening, as in, you'd have to put a couple three 90 degree bends in the tubes. If the forks are folded back at a right angle I'd agree, don't straighten them.

In the case of this particular set of forks, straightening is a perfectly acceptable option that would not result in any safety hazard.

LOL!

I've learned long ago to not confuse the words possible and probable with each other. Too many folks use the concepts interchangeably and as a result experience a lot of purposeless fear.

As to the dealer saying don't straighten them, they want to sell the OP a new set of fork tubes, of course they'll say don't straighten them. That's why I suggested going to independent shops because they're likely to have less of a resale profit motive.
Okay so now it is okay to straighten my fork?

As for the dealer thing, they were not just trying to get money from me. Because I went to a non-Kawasaki dealership. And specifically told them I would be doing all the work. No profit there. But they could also be complete boneheads and not have a clue what they are talking about. So I am still open to ideas.

MY CHOICES:
Yes, straighten them. or Heck no that isn't safe.

Old February 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
These are not the first folks to be straighten.
I believe that if the steel did not break in one direction, it won't break being bent back.

Something else to be considered:
Not sure, but the section of the fork may not be perfectly round after all that bending.
An oval shape may be hard to be sealed by a round seal and leaks may occur.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #23
kevlar250
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): '94 Vulcan 1500, '06 Katana 600, '08 FZ1

How is it that only one side bent, how did it happen?
kevlar250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #24
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:

LOL!

No argument from me about forks. I was only referring to mild steel in general.

Old February 5th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #25
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar250 View Post
How is it that only one side bent, how did it happen?
Just the way the bike tumbled when it went off the road i guess. I was riding at night on the backroads so it was super duper dark and I was riding outside of my skill level. On the last turn leaving the backroads I misjudged the turn. I was going too fast and it was a quick decreasing radius turn. Boom off the road. Next thing I know I am off the road rolling multiple times. When I finally stopped rolling I got up and saw the bike in bad shape. The crash was all my fault. Just made a few stupid mistakes. I am just happy I didn't seriously hurt myself.

So I couldn't tell you why only one fork got bent. Just physics and dumb luck? Haha idk.

Old February 5th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
one fork can bend to the inside and the other fork doesnt bend, just the axle twists up a little bit

Old February 10th, 2012, 04:47 PM   #27
Jono

Came home after class today and my new used straight forks had arrived!!!

I slid the straight forks into my triple tree only to find out that mine was in fact bent. Yay!! Not. Can't see it well in this picture but the right ride was bent down some.

Luckily the forks I bought off ebay had a straight lower triple tree. Well it wasn't really luck. I kinda had a feeling that the lower triple was somewhat bent but was not sure. So I decided to find used forks that had the lower triple. I am glad I did!

So my project began. (Sorry no pics. My hands were too greasy to pick up my cell and take pics) I had to remove the old lower triple, which wasn't too hard. I was afraid that I was going to need to replace the bearings and what not but I didn't need to. I just re greased everything and put it all back together. So now I was ready to try to align the front end. I found this very tedious. Still kinda tweaking everything. It is not totally straight but it is close. I need to ride it around some and see if it rides straight. But it is raining and pretty cold outside so I will wait until it dries up.

Any advice on how to get it almost perfect? Or is it just trial and error?

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:46 PM   #28
FrugalNinja250

You can eyeball the tubes being parallel by looking at them from the sides with the fairing off pretty easily. If you don't trust your eyeballs, get a piece of glass cut that'll reach across the two fork tubes and is as long as you can fit between the sliders and the stuff under the headlight. Modern glass is extremely flat, so you just press the glass against the fork tubes and check for rocking of the glass. If it rocks, then do some more twisting. Note, forks are almost never perfect, they have to be aligned no matter how perfect the tree. It doesn't have to be perfect. After I got hit by the truck I had to ride the busted bike back to work. The bike handled terribly because the rear wheel was kicked over in the swingarm. Later I found the forks were twisted almost half an inch, didn't affect the steering one bit.

Old February 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #29
duckracer
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 1098 and 04 Ninja 250 race bikes

Here you go: http://www.ohv.8m.com/index.html This info is for dirt bikes, but all the pricipals are the same. The fork part is a bit down in the post.
duckracer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2012, 10:52 PM   #30
Jono

Alright thanks for the tips! I think that using a piece of glass will be the easiest way to tell if the forks are about right. I'll give that a shot.

Old February 12th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #31
423yjl
forever a newb

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

right now on ebay Feb. 12 their is a brand new oem fork still packaged for 20.00$
my link isn't working
try looking it up
423yjl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #32
Jono

Still not straight

Okay so the new forks were straight. And I put the lower triple tree that came with the forks because mine was bent.

But after loosening and aligning and tightening it all back up many many times something is still bent. I followed the directions...http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_...nd_front_wheel So I did it right. But I determined either the new used lower triple tree is slightly bent or the top of the triple got bent in the crash.

Is it common for the top of the triple were the handle bars mount to get bent in a crash?

The right fork (brake caliper side) has normal rake but the left side seems to have less rake. And yes I measured the top when installing so they are in the triple tree the exact same way.

I am thinking of just getting a used complete triple tree in hopes that it is straight. And it fixes my alignment issues.

Any ideas folks?

Old February 20th, 2012, 07:28 PM   #33
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
If the new forks were straight and rakes are different, just twist the bottom respect to the top until both rakes are the same.

Take a look at this:

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/chapter8.html

http://w6rec.com/duane/bmw/fork/chapter1.html
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:08 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

FWIW, I'm told that you can use a newgen fork, triple, wheel, tire, fender, brake, etc. Good excuse to upgrade?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:37 AM   #35
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
FWIW, I'm told that you can use a newgen fork, triple, wheel, tire, fender, brake, etc. Good excuse to upgrade?
Mmmhm. So you are going to send me all the parts. right? lol I just want to get my bike riding normal for as little money as I can. So I am sticking to the pregen parts. Maybe someday when I have the money I will swap things around, but even then I would rather just by a new gen.

Old February 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
jono, if you are looking to do it for as little money as possible. use a big hammer.

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM   #37
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
jono, if you are looking to do it for as little money as possible. use a big hammer.
Haha. I am almost to that point. Hammers usually fix everything.

Old February 21st, 2012, 02:05 PM   #38
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
one of my fork tubes is bent. it was rubbing on the inside so i rotated the stanchion 180d inside the lower. no more rub.

Old January 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #39
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasle View Post
NO WAY, Have had at least 6 sets fixed. On our race bikes. Racing MX. Lots of force on the legs during landing.
V-blocks, Press, and dial indicator. And patience...all that is needed.

Little shop in Tempe, Az. $20 per leg
@jasle
Name of shop? Do they take mail-ins? Will you be my courier if they don't and I can't find something comparable locally? Trying to save money by buying bent forks.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #40
jasle
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09Ninja250, Ducati Monster 800ie, Harley FXSTS,Rebel 250,CR144,KX85,RM85L

don't remember the name. it was right off Mesa Blvd in the east valley. little bitty place. Been about 7 years since I lived there...All he did was take his very large press, drop the tubes in some V-Blocks and using dial indicator find high spot. with v-blocks on either side of bend out about 8" either side press high spot down, then measure, again...then he had this tube roller he would but them in and roll them for final.

Gotta be more than one place that can do it...